Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Chili posted:

At his starting weight, Butterscotch was heavier :colbert:

Yes but a sphere occupies the minimum amount of space for that weight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

http://i.imgur.com/ph0wjcy.mp4

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
So fluffy.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

Wanna pet that bear.

Thank you for posting this, because this morning I saw a photo of Harlow's wire-mesh mother experiment using baby spider monkeys, and remembering what I learned about that in college almost made me cry. (Nobody google that if they don't know, it's terrible.) That cat is doing that little baby monkey a world of good. :minnie:

Tofu Terry
Oct 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

"this is how volly drinks"

This poor, dumb snake. :3:

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

http://i.imgur.com/ho1BlBl.gifv

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Edinburgh Zoo's penguin Sir Nils Olav got promoted to a Brigadier :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hq-6wUWffkA

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007
Son Of Northern Frostbitten Wintermoon

What a cute yet stern inspection.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
That drat penguin has been promoted more times than I have.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

http://i.imgur.com/mi2gEOZ.gifv

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

"Is it humid in here? It feels awful humid in here."

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance

Ah! It's a living teddy bear! :kimchi:

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Pretty sure I've said this before but skunks are pretty drat good pets and it's a bummer that more people don't like them.

Yeah, they can spray you with stinky oil but if it does that, you're horrible and don't deserve such a cool pet.
Seriously, they don't spray unless they fear for their lives and you can get them de-glaned if need be.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

"This butt-warmer is mine"

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Tiny feet, big head.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

Inzombiac posted:

Pretty sure I've said this before but skunks are pretty drat good pets and it's a bummer that more people don't like them.

Yeah, they can spray you with stinky oil but if it does that, you're horrible and don't deserve such a cool pet.
Seriously, they don't spray unless they fear for their lives and you can get them de-glaned if need be.
Are they like ferrets where they still have a pretty strong smell naturally?

Because drat that's a cute skunk :3: I never knew I wanted to fuss a skunk's belly till now.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy

I got to pet one of these recently.

It's exactly as plush and wonderful and soft as you think. Probably more. really. It was like memory foam dog.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

:same:

https://vine.co/v/eWggmLLxhp0

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Tendai posted:

Are they like ferrets where they still have a pretty strong smell naturally?

Because drat that's a cute skunk :3: I never knew I wanted to fuss a skunk's belly till now.

Nope. They love being clean and don't require as much upkeep as most exotic pets.
They do have very sharp claws but those can be trimmed.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_o74BnFSr8g

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

aaaaaaaaa
The little fat stripey one in the upper right cam is dreaming and wiggling his little feet!
:3:

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
https://twitter.com/BrokenAnimaIs/status/767956751979347968

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
I encourage children who are bullied to kill themselves. In fact, I get off to it. Pedophilia-snuff films are the best. More abused children need to kill themselves.

Inzombiac posted:

There was a good cautionary tale by a goon on here a few years ago about his bastard skunk, Gilbert (needs archives):

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2672618

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
I love skunks but they're illegal to keep as pets where I live, and with good reason. It's pretty much never good to try to keep wild animals as pets, even if they theoretically "make good pets," because then you have horrible trafficking and trapping and breaking up skunk families. :qq:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Behold my magnificence mortal. Bow before my clockwork wigglebutt steed.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

My brother-in-law got a seriously cute puppy (when it's not being a bitey little poo poo) and we got to dog-sit for an afternoon.

It's a Danish-Swedish Farmdog.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
Vampire from a local shelter:

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

He even has a tiny cravat. What a fashionable vampire!

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Would give that kitty my blood.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

That's just like my Malachi. :3: Pure black but with a little white cravat and a spot on his tummy. He even had one big toof! Unfortunately it had to be pulled a month ago so now he has no more vampire fang.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

neonnoodle posted:

I love skunks but they're illegal to keep as pets where I live, and with good reason. It's pretty much never good to try to keep wild animals as pets, even if they theoretically "make good pets," because then you have horrible trafficking and trapping and breaking up skunk families. :qq:

I'd say that depends on the species more than anything, at least assuming the animal is native to the area(or if non native, then common in it's home region enough that the pet trade is unlikely to do much harm, or even captive bred), and not larger than your average dog

Especially since depending on how you define "Wild" vs "Domesticated" you'd be including tons of animals people keep as pets with no issues whatsoever(including most non mammal pets)

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah we haven't even bothered to try and actually domesticate spiders, snakes, and most reptiles that are kept as pets. About the only exception to that is silkworms, and those are less pets and more production insects. If people really wanted to, a large enough controlled breeding program can turn just about any wild mammal into an obedient cuddly pet, as a Russian scientist proved back in the late 50's by domesticating silver foxes, although that program isn't quite finished yet (but they've made remarkable progress in a mere 60 years as opposed to the hundreds or even thousands it took early man to turn wolves into dogs).

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Kwyndig posted:

as a Russian scientist proved back in the late 50's by domesticating silver foxes, although that program isn't quite finished yet (but they've made remarkable progress in a mere 60 years as opposed to the hundreds or even thousands it took early man to turn wolves into dogs).

Is that still active?

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

SinineSiil posted:

Is that still active?

I recall hearing that they had to cut down the breeding program due to funding reduction but it is, in fact, still going and you can still get a silver fox. It's a bit like a Savannah Cat, a pet for if you've got outrageous amounts of money burning a hole in your pocket.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Kwyndig posted:

Yeah we haven't even bothered to try and actually domesticate spiders, snakes, and most reptiles that are kept as pets. About the only exception to that is silkworms, and those are less pets and more production insects. If people really wanted to, a large enough controlled breeding program can turn just about any wild mammal into an obedient cuddly pet, as a Russian scientist proved back in the late 50's by domesticating silver foxes, although that program isn't quite finished yet (but they've made remarkable progress in a mere 60 years as opposed to the hundreds or even thousands it took early man to turn wolves into dogs).

Heck some don't even need it as their demeanor are already pretty human compatible, like with Hedgehogs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless