Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

Trillhouse posted:

I feel like they're dragging the principal down with them though and she's starting to crack.

well yeah that was their plan, to get her to look like a crazy rear end in a top hat attacking an innocent teacher

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I did like the early reveal that the principle was ready to roll around in the dirt and be just as aggressive if necessary. I was worried that she was going to be an oblivious "foil"/straightman or whatever

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
This show isn't nearly as one dimensional as Eastbound, love it

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

comes along bort posted:

He serves pretty much the same straight man role as John Hawkes' character on Eastbound.

He reminds me heaps of the black dude in My Name Is Earl.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I like the principal more than most of the characters in this show. If I had to rank them it'd be Ray -> Principal Brown -> Ms. Snodgras's butt ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------> everyone else

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
doltos is...right

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Wrong. I don't see the Brown kids or Dayshawn on that list before Snodgras butt.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Swift rules and will most likely be someone's downfall.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
The English teacher was excellent bait. She had the precise air of arrogance and defiance of authority which made her a candidate for suspicion. After that first encounter, the teacher REALLY tore into the principal and burned every bridge with the remarks of Brown being a "two-bit, flavor of the month principal" and herself being more memorable to the students. Even knowing that woman was innocent, I wanted to see Brown really put her in her place for her poor judgement in how she addressed Brown.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The music really jumped out at me this episode. The track during the court scene was a song from The Guest soundtrack, I wonder what else was from that movie.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

In any other show, I'd find Dr. Brown unlikable because of how over the top aggressive she is with her underlings, but it's totally justified since it's mostly pointed at or encouraged by the vile Russell and Gamby. Really, I kinda hope her attack on the English teacher leads to the school board moving to purge the school's administration, forcing her to work with the VPs in an unholy trio that drags them all down into a depraved crusade against the board.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I can't stand cringe humor as a rule, so I'm almost as surprised at how much I like this show as I am shocked at how much I adored the last five minutes of this episode. As good as it's been so far, between motocross and the ill-fated tea it really felt like the "this show has arrived" moment.

The drive-home hand grab was a bit on the nose, though. I hope it's treated as, erm, "well" as every other obvious trope thus far.

And just,

Pharmaskittle posted:

Russell in the background still destroying the warehouse with his forklift while Gamby rides away really got me.

This, plus Russell's mother-in-law chucking a wooden spoon at him like a joke JRPG weapon.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Propaganda Machine posted:

I can't stand cringe humor as a rule, so I'm almost as surprised at how much I like this show as I am shocked at how much I adored the last five minutes of this episode. As good as it's been so far, between motocross and the ill-fated tea it really felt like the "this show has arrived" moment.

The drive-home hand grab was a bit on the nose, though. I hope it's treated as, erm, "well" as every other obvious trope thus far.

And just,

This, plus Russell's mother-in-law chucking a wooden spoon at him like a joke JRPG weapon.

I agree with you about cringe humor-- I can't watch some of The Office episodes because of it.

I think this show works because those almost-cringey moments have a lot of background and sort of prepare you for them and they just aren't as blatantly antagonistic towards the audience or mean-spirited. Kinda like how Parks and Rec, while following the same basic formula as The Office, didn't really lay the cringe on too thick.

I don't get what you mean about the hand grab on the way home being too "on the nose", though. I thought it was a sweet, human moment between two people who don't really get each other as a whole, but sorta like each other.

So after Gamby causes a dumb embarrassing spectacle, it's hard not to want to reach out to him because she finally understood him a little more and knew he had good intentions.

Maybe you're reading too much TVTropes?

Last Chance fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Aug 25, 2016

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

I'm glad this show exists, because The Night Of has been getting worse and this just keeps getting better :allears:

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

I'm glad I haven't watched any the night of

I had a feeling from the promos and trailers they kept running. I was like... "what?"

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

It had a legitimately great first episode, and it's become more and more disappointing with each new one. I'm invested enough to finish it out myself, but I'm no longer recommending it to anyone.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Without being too specific, what's the issue with the show as it goes on? Does it get too trite or something? Was waiting until the finale to watch it all but maybe I'll check something else out instead.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Last Chance posted:

I agree with you about cringe humor-- I can't watch some of The Office episodes because of it.

I think this show works because those almost-cringey moments have a lot of background and sort of prepare you for them and they just aren't as blatantly antagonistic towards the audience or mean-spirited. Kinda like how Parks and Rec, while following the same basic formula as The Office, didn't really lay the cringe on too thick.

I don't get what you mean about the hand grab on the way home being too "on the nose", though. I thought it was a sweet, human moment between two people who don't really get each other as a whole, but sorta like each other.

So after Gamby causes a dumb embarrassing spectacle, it's hard not to want to reach out to him because she finally understood him a little more and knew he had good intentions.

Maybe you're reading too much TVTropes?

Funny you should say that; I tried to browse that site once and my eyes glazed over immediately.

I don't think we need a website know to that the weird, not-exactly-attractive star/co-creator alienating himself, endearing himself, and winning the pretty girl is a very common thing for shows and movies and stories in general to do. That silent, scenic drive full of meaningful glances and hand-holding was saccharine and gross.

What I meant by how I hope it's treated is that I'm never seen McBride's stuff before, but if I'm reading this correctly, I'm both hoping and expecting their budding friendship/relationship-for-lonely-cat-women to go as wrong as it goes right, and immediately, and hilariously.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Propaganda Machine posted:

What I meant by how I hope it's treated is that I'm never seen McBride's stuff before, but if I'm reading this correctly, I'm both hoping and expecting their budding friendship/relationship-for-lonely-cat-women to go as wrong as it goes right, and immediately, and hilariously.

Don't worry, that is more than likely what is going to happen. I don't think Ms. Snodgrass holding Gamby's hand was meant to be a nice, feel good moment. Gamby is perpetually a dick to her (as he is to everyone) and she's clearly hurting from being dumped by Mr. Cool-But-Not-THAT-Cool, and in her vulnerability she reached out to someone she pitied in that moment. It's a bad fit for both of them, and we still have several episodes to see how this plays out for them.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Escobarbarian posted:

Without being too specific, what's the issue with the show as it goes on? Does it get too trite or something? Was waiting until the finale to watch it all but maybe I'll check something else out instead.

It's just not what it seemed like it was going to be. Based on the first episode it looked like it would be a crime drama with a central whodunnit mystery, and it is to a certain extent, but it's actually become more like half prison drama and half "our country's system of due process is a loving nightmare" exposé. That makes for an interesting show, and it's fairly well acted, directed, and written, it's just...not what was advertised on the tin.

E: double post, my b

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Escobarbarian posted:

For me it's that the show has a ton of moments where it thinks it's being profound, subtle and intelligent like The Wire when in actuality it's being hamfisted, cliche and dumb like a lovely Law & order episode. Add to that the pacing and momentum of it's best moments and episode coming right at the beginning and it does indeed feel shittier with each passing week.

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

We're spread, we're spread, we're spreading our.... wings! :v:
Why is the new episode not up yet on HBO GO? Wanted to watch it before I went to bed...

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

HanabaL03 posted:

Why is the new episode not up yet on HBO GO? Wanted to watch it before I went to bed...

It only started airing just a few minutes ago because The Night Of was an extra-long episode tonight.

e: I'm going to start insulting other men by saying that they wear clothes from Structure.

Troy Queef fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Aug 29, 2016

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Russell jumping for the joint was really loving funny to me.

I'm more amazed that things worked out well for Gamby(well except for his daughter)and Russell and didn't blow up in their face at the end of the episode. Even Dr. Brown got a nice family moment.

So basically I'm expecting things to become horrible for everyone in the last 2 episodes of the season.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Oh my god this was a fantastic episode.

Gamby: Why don't you butt dial someone else because I just did it with the hottest teacher in school and I am totally over my daughter!

Also, Gamby knocking over the light post into another car had me rolling.

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007
ratchetasshoes.com isn't a real site

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Russell tossing the clown was great.

Russell is great.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
God, that episode was incredible. One of the best tv episodes from my recent memory. They nailed basically every single scene. My only sorta complaint would be that the background music was drowning out the speech during that job guessing game. Everything else was pretty much perfect.

Things are really looking up for Gamby.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I liked the scene between Gamby and Brown where they were out behind the school, and the ending once Gamby got the phonecall about his daughter. I'm sure we all knew him backing into the lamppost was coming, but the resulting 'What the gently caress Gamby?!' made it incredible. Also, Russell being helpful w/out an ulterior motive for once. Though the shot of him shoving the clown killed me.

Still needs more Dayshawn. He's been absent the last couple episodes.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Gamby checked the gently caress out of dude in the hallway. Between this and brass knuckles, it's official that Gamby does not gently caress around.

Also Ray continues to be the coolest step dad character ever put to film.

Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Also, Gamby knocking over the light post into another car had me rolling.
Boyd's reaction was hilarious too (as was the clown toss).

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Ray's such a great guy. I can't even bring myself to roll my eyes at him for buying Bilt gear. I wish he were real so we could be friends.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Air is lava! posted:

Things are really looking up for Gamby.

Things are clearly gonna go south for him, between what's-her-name bringing up Russell's book, and they seem to be setting Gamby up for having to choose between Russell and Belinda, who he seems to be warming up to

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Great episode. I was laughing my rear end off and then on the verge of tears at the end.

Principal Brown and her kids are hilarious and Snodgrass is cute as gently caress. It's a shame poo poo is gonna hit the fan for Gamby by the end of the season.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Great episode this week

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

We're spread, we're spread, we're spreading our.... wings! :v:
Walton Goggins is phenomenal in this show. I'm not kidding when I say he deserves Emmy consideration.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

HanabaL03 posted:

Walton Goggins is phenomenal in this show. I'm not kidding when I say he deserves Emmy consideration.

Idk, weak writing in the bit where he tries to convince the kids to spill on their mom. It wasn't very believable, and not how I'd expect the craft and cunning Russell to act.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

The Bananana posted:

Idk, weak writing in the bit where he tries to convince the kids to spill on their mom. It wasn't very believable, and not how I'd expect the craft and cunning Russell to act.

Eh, he redeems it with "Your momma's gonna beat ALL our asses black!"

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

The Bananana posted:

It was, but I took that part as, just like with getting caught spitting, Russell just got greedy; figuring he could easily just bribe two kids (what are they, a high school and Jr. high?), because he clearly has contempt for students' intelligence. As soon as they said Brown had molested them both, he figured he had it won, regardless if it was the truth or not, that just the accusation would be a final nail in the coffin. He clearly wasn't considering they were just playing him for a chance to get him out of the room. Even though it wasn't shown, I have a feeling Russell was absolutely gleeful at the vending machine, figuring he'd just won and all he had to do was shell out a few bucks for chips and skittles.

Goggins seems to be getting the weaker material of the two, but he still nails it everytime.

I rewatched the ep when I got home today, and the ex-husband taking the super-long water fountain break cracked me up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

LadyPictureShow posted:

I rewatched the ep when I got home today, and the ex-husband taking the super-long water fountain break cracked me up.

He was trying (successfully, it appears) to seduce Brown.

• Locked thread