Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

:getin:

Karling challenge 2.0 spotted?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Kaza42 posted:

How will Immortal interact with 1/lifetime decisions? Like, changing crown laws for instance

Crown laws are on a 50 year cool down now unless you die then it gets reset like normal

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!

zebez posted:

Nice, the interface is pretty good now though. The only mod I run now is one too increase the intrigue decision window to 6 available instead of the normal 4. It's sorely needed.

Can I have a link to that mod?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Lots of stuff in addition to a Merovingian:

quote:

- Added Arsacid Persian emperors
- Added Fibonacci, Dante, Petrarch, Boccaccio

Frogfingers posted:

Paradox, the gender laws are well appreciated, but there are instances where it could use some more work:

quote:

- Female Muslim rulers no longer get unsuitable events when celebrating Ramadan

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Darkrenown posted:

So earlier today I asked the team how their games were going, turns out Virvatuli -who wrote the cat DD- was playing as an Immortal Zunist cannibal queen and marrying, breeding with, and then later eating successive generations of her sons :yikes:
How would that work? Zunism doesn't have incestuous marriages, and seduction can't be targeted for parent-child.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Strudel Man posted:

How would that work? Zunism doesn't have incestuous marriages, and seduction can't be targeted for parent-child.

Parent-grandchild, though? I do know that it kind of stops tracking close relations if there's enough vertical distance between characters on the family tree (so great-great grandchildren will be considered the same as cousins for events and alliances and such).

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Strudel Man posted:

Hmmm, so after Reapers Due you can kinda copy that king dude from Berserk but not completely.

Vaguely wondering how historical creepy dudes like that are, on the other hand it's one of those losses we can be more than happy about

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Darkrenown posted:

The Extended province view isn't that unknown, is it?

I have 643 hours in-game, and unless you're talking about the slide-out that shows Trade Posts and Forts I have no idea what you're talking about. I even tried Googling it and didn't find it.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Jedit posted:

I have 643 hours in-game, and unless you're talking about the slide-out that shows Trade Posts and Forts I have no idea what you're talking about. I even tried Googling it and didn't find it.

Conveniently, that is precisely what they are talking about.

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003
Maybe incest for everyone is one of the optional game rules.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Jedit posted:

It's what's he's talking about but I doubt any of us knew it's Official name before now

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I just got around to watching the video dev diary - I can't tell from the epidemic screen demonstrations, is it possible for more than one epidemic to hit a province at once? How is that displayed, if so?

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Welp, I just disabled updates until I'm done with this Abyssinian Jew game I'm doing. I don't want anything loving with my mojo until it's done (which should be right around the time I'm not broke anymore and can buy Don't Fear the Reaper's Due!)

The year's 960 and I've been playing since the Charley start. The only gamey thing I did is I started as King Oda Gosh of Abyssinia and immediately forced Semien into being a tributary. I kept them as a tributary so that I could keep the local Miaphysites from ruthlessly stomping out Judaism. Once I had the Kingdom of Abyssinia totally nailed down (and actually had the Arabian Duchies of Sanaa and Oman as well due to timing and opportunity) I conquered Semien and used it to convert the Solomonid dynasty and thus Abyssinia to Judaism. I then swallowed all of Nubia and more of Arabia through holy warring Medina and Nefoud. The holy wars against the Abbasids were affairs of cold-hearted opportunism while they were coping with simultaneous wars against the Byzantines/Nomads and decadence revolts. By this point the Abbasids shattered entirely and later the Umayyads did as well due to their incursions into France bringing crusades down on their heads. This only lead to more opportunities to take more Islamic lands in Egypt to usurp that title and form the Empire of Abyssinia.

At the point of forming the Empire, I had to give the council (which with Abyssinia does not have any power at start) some power, but I managed to keep the council mostly in check. They have a say in wars and imprisonment but nothing else. I just managed to get primo instituted in both the Kingdom of Abyssinia and the wider Empire. All my vassal kings are dynasty members and perfectly happy with my rule. The Husamids that now control most of the eastern Islamic lands are a mere shadow of the their predecessors, the Abbasids, who now consist of a single living male Emir in Afghanistan. The Umayyads hold a single Emirate in Spain, which is now split between the Husamids and the Musaid. In Africa, the Azwalid control Mauretania, with the Lombards east of them in North Africa and beyond the Lombards is me.

In other words, Islam is broken. I've held Mecca and Medina for nearly two centuries now, so their authority is nothing like it used to be. The Husamids are the strongest Muslims in the world and I have larger armies than them by eight thousand men. They're under attack from the north by the Byzantines who are now holding territory in Jerusalem and will likely be my enemy for the forseeable future. I'm Jewish after all, so anybody that has territory in Jerusalem is going to be a problem. And with these Byzantines the word "problem" is an understatement. They can raise 40,000 troops to my 28,000. For once the AI has done very well with the Byzantines, taking Bulgaria, Wallachia, Serbia, Croatia, and most of Sicily in addition to making steady gains in their southeast against Islamic dynasties. The Byzantines are going to be a long hard fight unless I can catch them in the middle of a civil war or something.

Man this has prolly been my best game with (non-Khazar) Jews so far and I want absolutely nothing to shake things up lol. I don't really know what all's gonna come down in the update that's getting released with Reaper's Due but I'm not taking any chances until I get through with this run. I seriously want to establish Israel and rebuild the third temple without using nomads.

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Aug 24, 2016

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I just got around to watching the video dev diary - I can't tell from the epidemic screen demonstrations, is it possible for more than one epidemic to hit a province at once? How is that displayed, if so?

Yes. Only the "worst" one shows on the map, but you can see all of them on the province screen.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009
Will the update ruin my ongoing game?

EDIT: used the ongoing sale to get the Cossacks, got some indian portraits for CK2 for free (if you register at the paradox website), yay

kanonvandekempen fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Aug 24, 2016

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Where's the option to disable India

Also when do paradox games usually come out

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Darkrenown posted:

So earlier today I asked the team how their games were going, turns out Virvatuli -who wrote the cat DD- was playing as an Immortal Zunist cannibal queen and marrying, breeding with, and then later eating successive generations of her sons :yikes:

These are the updates I follow this thread for.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

kanonvandekempen posted:

Will the update ruin my ongoing game?

EDIT: used the ongoing sale to get the Cossacks, got some indian portraits for CK2 for free (if you register at the paradox website), yay

Probably not.

Darth Windu posted:

Where's the option to disable India

Also when do paradox games usually come out

~1500 CET for DLCs.

zebez
Apr 27, 2008

Bishop Rodan posted:

Can I have a link to that mod?

I'll see about getting it uploaded somewhere.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Honky Dong Country posted:

Welp, I just disabled updates until I'm done with this Abyssinian Jew game I'm doing. I don't want anything loving with my mojo until it's done (which should be right around the time I'm not broke anymore and can buy Don't Fear the Reaper's Due!)

How exactly do you disable updates? Asking for a friend.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Eric the Mauve posted:

How exactly do you disable updates? Asking for a friend.

Right click on the game in Steam and pick Properties. You should be able to disable update there. In the Beta tab you can also roll back to earlier patches.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Nope. Steam doesn't allow you (or doesn't allow me, anyway) to disable updates. The only options are update immediately or update upon launching the game. It's been this way forever, far as I know.

I'm prepared to roll back via the beta as soon as it updates, but that means going through 20 minutes of busy work redoing all the changes I make to defines.lua and a few other files :emo:

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
set it to update on launch, and select the old version you want before launching

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
You can also start CK2 without the Steam Interface, just have a shortcut on your desktop(that is not created by steam but you do yourself through Explorer). CK2 will launch and connect with Steam but it won't update.

e: The connecting by itself might be only EU4. To make it do that just go to where CK2 is installed, create a txt file called steam_appid.txt and write in it only this -> 203770

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

I'm just using steam in offline mode since this is all I'm playing until it's done. Can't update if it doesn't connect, far as I know.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I'm just using steam in offline mode since this is all I'm playing until it's done. Can't update if it doesn't connect, far as I know.

It's been a while but I think the last time I tried that it refused to launch the game ("This game is out of date...") until I connected and let it update. I'll try it again though, see if that's still the case.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Eric the Mauve posted:

Nope. Steam doesn't allow you (or doesn't allow me, anyway) to disable updates. The only options are update immediately or update upon launching the game. It's been this way forever, far as I know.

I'm prepared to roll back via the beta as soon as it updates, but that means going through 20 minutes of busy work redoing all the changes I make to defines.lua and a few other files :emo:

Can't you just make a temporary backup of those files instead?

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007

Bort Bortles posted:

I would love to stream a game and teach people how to play things because I have an affinity for it, but gently caress i dont have that kind of time.

Yeah, me too. Kinda wish I'd gotten in on the ground floor on youtube lets playing stuff and was a multi-millionaire now. Then I'd have time.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Darkrenown posted:

Probably not.

~1500 CET for DLCs.

Seriously though, is the Game Rules feature robust enough that you could do something like a "No India" option with some modding? It's a matter of performance.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Eric the Mauve posted:

You could just make backups of those files before the patch couldn't you?

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

Bloody Pom posted:

:getin:

Karling challenge 2.0 spotted?

This has been clarified on the paradox forums. The last Merovingian is a courtier in a monastery somewhere and has the monk trait, so the only way to prevent the dynasty dying out is to press their claim for France.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Eric the Mauve posted:

Wait, why do you not make those changes via a mod folder? :cripes:

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Blug I thought it came out on the 24th....ANOTHER EIGHTEEN HOURS TO GO I WAS SO EXCITED ABOUT TODAY :(

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only
Wait… how long have Dynamic script flags been a feature‽ They aren't documented on the wiki, ChangeLog.txt or used in any of the base game code.

EDIT: For that matter… do flags that referenced a character that no longer exists get cleaned up?

Edison was a dick fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Aug 24, 2016

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Dallan Invictus posted:

Wait, why do you not make those changes via a mod folder? :cripes:

Because I suck at modding and the one time I tried was pretty disastrous. Look I'm bad at computers I don't know what else to tell you.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Dammit, I'm gonna have to go back to actually playing the real, regular game now the DLC is out. No more After the End for a while I suppose.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Edison was a dick posted:

This has been clarified on the paradox forums. The last Merovingian is a courtier in a monastery somewhere and has the monk trait, so the only way to prevent the dynasty dying out is to press their claim for France.

The last Merovingian is in captivity. Western Europe is at peace.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!
Can't wait to replace all the black portraits in ATE with the new ethiopian portraits. The old ones suffer in the way the OG and Mongol faces do, And the irish :shudder:. And while I can't say I know much about medieval subsaharan africa, I would guess that some of them grew their hair out past three inches.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Edison was a dick posted:

Wait… how long have Dynamic script flags been a feature‽ They aren't documented on the wiki, ChangeLog.txt or used in any of the base game code.

EDIT: For that matter… do flags that referenced a character that no longer exists get cleaned up?

I remember they were brought in with like 2.5 but I can't narrow it down further, sorry (and a lot of modding changes/facilities are documented badly if at all).

As for cleanup, I'm pretty sure that they wouldn't be - since script flags have arbitrary names anyway, this dynamic functionality is basically just a clever way of naming flags rather than, like, a pointer or anything that would really need to ensure its references are up to date. The game cleans up flags when the character they're ON dies and, since they're low-impact on performance, that's generally good enough - (especially since any character that's straight up DELETED as opposed to simply killed is probably not going to be relevant enough to have been the target of any such events anyway.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

The year's 960 and I've been playing since the Charley start. The only gamey thing I did is I started as King Oda Gosh of Abyssinia and immediately forced Semien into being a tributary. I kept them as a tributary so that I could keep the local Miaphysites from ruthlessly stomping out Judaism. Once I had the Kingdom of Abyssinia totally nailed down (and actually had the Arabian Duchies of Sanaa and Oman as well due to timing and opportunity) I conquered Semien and used it to convert the Solomonid dynasty and thus Abyssinia to Judaism. I then swallowed all of Nubia and more of Arabia through holy warring Medina and Nefoud. The holy wars against the Abbasids were affairs of cold-hearted opportunism while they were coping with simultaneous wars against the Byzantines/Nomads and decadence revolts. By this point the Abbasids shattered entirely and later the Umayyads did as well due to their incursions into France bringing crusades down on their heads. This only lead to more opportunities to take more Islamic lands in Egypt to usurp that title and form the Empire of Abyssinia.

At the point of forming the Empire, I had to give the council (which with Abyssinia does not have any power at start) some power, but I managed to keep the council mostly in check. They have a say in wars and imprisonment but nothing else. I just managed to get primo instituted in both the Kingdom of Abyssinia and the wider Empire. All my vassal kings are dynasty members and perfectly happy with my rule. The Husamids that now control most of the eastern Islamic lands are a mere shadow of the their predecessors, the Abbasids, who now consist of a single living male Emir in Afghanistan. The Umayyads hold a single Emirate in Spain, which is now split between the Husamids and the Musaid. In Africa, the Azwalid control Mauretania, with the Lombards east of them in North Africa and beyond the Lombards is me.

In other words, Islam is broken. I've held Mecca and Medina for nearly two centuries now, so their authority is nothing like it used to be. The Husamids are the strongest Muslims in the world and I have larger armies than them by eight thousand men. They're under attack from the north by the Byzantines who are now holding territory in Jerusalem and will likely be my enemy for the forseeable future. I'm Jewish after all, so anybody that has territory in Jerusalem is going to be a problem. And with these Byzantines the word "problem" is an understatement. They can raise 40,000 troops to my 28,000. For once the AI has done very well with the Byzantines, taking Bulgaria, Wallachia, Serbia, Croatia, and most of Sicily in addition to making steady gains in their southeast against Islamic dynasties. The Byzantines are going to be a long hard fight unless I can catch them in the middle of a civil war or something.

Man this has prolly been my best game with (non-Khazar) Jews so far and I want absolutely nothing to shake things up lol. I don't really know what all's gonna come down in the update that's getting released with Reaper's Due but I'm not taking any chances until I get through with this run. I seriously want to establish Israel and rebuild the third temple without using nomads.

I recently finished a seven centuries game playing as Semien, so without the gamey "start as a King" route. There was no way I could challenge Islam. The Umayyads went nuts, and very shortly after I started getting enough strength to look at challenging Abyssinia the Abbasids subjugated all of Egypt. I was stuck as a three Duchy great duke until I was able to eat what was left of the Muhallabids from inside, declare independence, form a custom kingdom, then immediately swear fealty to extremely aggressive Abbasids. Unfortunately, I couldn't do anything about the Abbasids setting up High Crown Authority so I couldn't eat the Emirs next to me (who thanks to the Silk Road had warchests of 20K to hire multiple decent mercenaries), and a painful process of fabricating claims was the only way I could make any inroads into Abyssinia.

Then my luck changed! Finally the Mongols showed up and subjugated the whole Abbasid Empire! All Crown Authority got dumped and I started a mad rush to keep fabricating claims on each county of the Kingdom of Jerusalem, and then Spying On and kidnapping my enemies to force quick wins (because gently caress marching my demesne levies all the way from Ethiopia to the Levant to take one poxy county, especially when the liege who actually controls it has their capital somewhere over in Azerbaijan).

I managed to Create Israel and Restore the High Priesthood with about 20 years to spare. I owe the triumph of the Jewish faith to Genghis Khan.

• Locked thread