Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flattened Spoon
Dec 31, 2007

Crosspeice posted:

R-Read the OP :negative:

But basically, get X or Y and go wild. You'll see some old faces, some new ones and you'll have a blast.

Thanks, I did. It basically goes over the two new ones coming out in November though, doesn't really talk about the previous games. I'll look at other OPs though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Flattened Spoon posted:

So what would you guys recommend if I was interested in playing pokemon again after playing the original (yellow) like 18 years ago? DS2 + X or something? I looked up how many there are now and WTF how do you keep track of that many jesus. Also there are a lot of different games too.

Red, Blue, and Yellow are also on the 3DS virtual console, with the ability to transfer your friends from those games to Sun and Moon when they come out.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
I never played a Pokemon game in my life, and some big Pokemon fan friends of mine convinced me to give it a shot a few years ago. I got Y, played a bit, hit an interest wall, and gave up. Then Pokemon Go happened and kind of got me into it, so now I'm cruising through Y and really enjoying it. I'm even looking forward to Sun and Moon so I can go through at the same time as everyone else.

Also the best Pokemon is Farfetch'd.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Harlock posted:

I'm so ready to play Pokemon again I'm pretty close to deleting my X save and starting over.

I get you. I started a Black Nuzlocke two days ago just to do something Pokemon-wise, and that's the only gen I haven't Nuzlocked yet.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
I have yet to try a Nuzlocke. I was going to on Uranium but boy did that game kill my enthusiasm fast.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Flattened Spoon posted:

So what would you guys recommend if I was interested in playing pokemon again after playing the original (yellow) like 18 years ago? DS2 + X or something? I looked up how many there are now and WTF how do you keep track of that many jesus. Also there are a lot of different games too.

Play Black or White.

Then play X or Y.

But definitely play Black or White first.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Flattened Spoon posted:

You might want to keep the sites Bulbapedia and Serebii.net in mind. Things have gotten a lot more complicated over the years.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Blaze Dragon posted:

I get you. I started a Black Nuzlocke two days ago just to do something Pokemon-wise, and that's the only gen I haven't Nuzlocked yet.

I have horrendous Nuzlocke luck.

Literally all my pokes have hindering natures and are also fairly bad right now

Bold Furret, Adamant Vivillon, Impish Combee, Modest Venipede.

Everyone else is dead :negative:

I really, really hate those two assholes with the Furfrou double battle on the way back from Poke-Versailles.

Vernatio
Nov 13, 2015

Questionable!

Zore posted:

I really, really hate those two assholes with the Furfrou double battle on the way back from Poke-Versailles.

They are the worst. You'd think that furfrou wouldn't be that big of a deal, since it's kind of a poo poo pokemon stat-wise, but Fur Coat HURTS when most of your moveset at that point is physical.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:

Flattened Spoon posted:

For a better single player story play either Black 2 or White 2. Beware of dupe carts posing as "UAE/Malaysia" region doing the rounds on amazon and ebay though.

Dreamy Souffle
Feb 22, 2011

Just cause
I like my diamonds bright
ain't saying I'm wrong
or if it's right but baby
I haven't been wrong before
God, how did we survive the original RBY as children. I'm replaying Yellow on the VC for future bank shenanigans, and just sat there helplessly as Brock's Onix crushed my pokemon with Bind. Who allowed this!!

Jim the Nickel
Mar 2, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Blaze Dragon posted:

I'm feeling this way too, I started jonesing the other day so I picked up my copy of X and did the Looker missions and now I feel empty again. Is there anything else to do after that in X/Y? Or should I just start a new game and go around again before Sun/Moon?

:fake edit: I'm the weirdo that gets far too attached to my fake Pokémon buddies so I downloaded Pokémon Bank so I could keep them with me when I start a new game.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

Dreamy Souffle posted:

God, how did we survive the original RBY as children. I'm replaying Yellow on the VC for future bank shenanigans, and just sat there helplessly as Brock's Onix crushed my pokemon with Bind. Who allowed this!!

You did because I'm pretty sure you can swap out of bind in gen 1--it doesn't trap you until next gen onward.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Zore posted:

Those Furfrou ate my Skitty :(

Dreamy Souffle
Feb 22, 2011

Just cause
ain't saying I'm wrong

Decus posted:

You did because I'm pretty sure you can swap out of bind in gen 1--it doesn't trap you until next gen onward.

Oh huh, that's good to know. Still wouldn't have done much there, unfortunately. My only other available (not KO'd, or the bound Nidoran) pokemon were Pikachu and Spearow, who would not have been able to do much against said Onix. v:v:v

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Txn posted:

Any nickname suggestions for slugma?

The slugma in question:

Name it Goozma

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Nuzlocke Mode in Uranium is hilarious.

It enforces 1 Pokemon Per Route, even if you run into a shiny.

I'm not playing it, because I want to enjoy Uranium.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Senerio posted:

There's an option toggle to turn that particular feature off.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Senerio posted:

Why would you want to enjoy a bad game

Indigo Cephalopods
Oct 26, 2012

Justice Rains From Above

Senerio posted:

Unfortunately there's another feature in the game specifically to make you not enjoy it. That feature is Pokémon Uranium.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Senerio posted:

That's not going to happen, no matter what you do.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Dreamy Souffle posted:

Catch a Mankey.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Do you people actually nuzlocke fangames where everything already has competitive movesets, IVs and EVs so you'd essentially be trying to 6-0 in a competitive setting? Nuzlocke is a thing to make the games where trainers have half-max IVs at most beyond the E4, no EVs and no-to-minimal TM/tutor moves somewhat of a challenge. Like, I could see sticking to the "only one catch per route" part for a fangame but the "faint = dead" just sounds crazy without actively outleveling the opposition (if possible) or actually wasting time EV training yourself which sounds horrendous. Even sticking to the only one catch starts to hurt when you're starved for TMs/Tutors yourself, all of your stuff has like no IVs and EV training is a huge pain. Just play in-game competitive instead, releasing any mon who faints in battle.

Dreamy Souffle
Feb 22, 2011

Just cause
ain't saying I'm wrong

Senerio posted:

Yeah, hate to break it to you, but Uranium isn't good. The level curve is harsh, and there's some real unbalanced garbage fanmons, among other things.

Bongo Bill posted:

Catch a Mankey.

I have one, it got KO'd earlier in the fight. :ssh:

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I've been enjoying it so far, honestly.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I've yet to finish a nuzlocke of HGSS because it sucks rear end, but I'm doing it again and I'm going to do it.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Enjoy your Furret.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

my furret is named chloe and shes very good

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

mabels big day posted:

I've yet to finish a nuzlocke of HGSS because it sucks rear end, but I'm doing it again and I'm going to do it.

i beat lance in hgss after spending hours grinding up a venomoth and the rest of my team

can confirm it sucked rear end

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

If I restart my AS game, can i claim the arceus again?

Also yellow guy, butterfree learns confusion at like lv 12 or something. Bit of a glass cannon, but if you have speed over onix you can do some damage before it goes down

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

mirthdefect posted:

If I restart my AS game, can i claim the arceus again?

Not Arceus, since it came from a one-use code, BUT Internet gift mons can be re-downloaded into new saves. Maybe wait a few more days and claim two Victinis? :v:

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Butterfree's assortment of powders also help out if you want to catch Mew in Cerulean City.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Ruggington posted:

i beat lance in hgss after spending hours grinding up a venomoth and the rest of my team

I only managed to beat the Elite Four in HGSS because I used an action replay to walk through the wall to get to the route outside Mt. Silver so I could level up my team faster against the ~level 40 pokemon over there. As cool as that remake was, holy drat the level curve.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Ruggington posted:

I'm gunning for Red.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
New Pokemon Colosseum/Gale of Darkness when

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Just got HGSS, and I'm beating the elite four in yellow today, with almost a full Pokédex. I'm gonna beat this poo poo in order baby. But I got White 2 and HGSS used, so I'm betting there's a save file with a lot of Pokemon in there already, which is awesome, I'll get those over to white 2 and then onto Pokemon bank before starting new games.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

EorayMel posted:

New Pokemon Colosseum/Gale of Darkness when

Never, hopefully

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

mabels big day posted:

I'm gunning for Red.

I'm so so so so so so so sorry

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
In my mad hunt for an Ekans to finish my living dex I ran into a shiny Bellsprout and then was immediately traded a very hacked shiny Bidoof moments later from some terrible streamer in Wonder Trade

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

greatn posted:

Just got HGSS, and I'm beating the elite four in yellow today, with almost a full Pokédex. I'm gonna beat this poo poo in order baby. But I got White 2 and HGSS used, so I'm betting there's a save file with a lot of Pokemon in there already, which is awesome, I'll get those over to white 2 and then onto Pokemon bank before starting new games.

Holy poo poo you guys, I just opened my used Heart Gold. This loving guy, 32 hour file, Pokédex: 18

Like how does that even happen. Was this game literally being played by Ash Ketchum?