Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Duck and Cover posted:

Nah great idea they can balance the game by adding more heroes and getting rid of your favorite every year. This is a great idea and I hope to see it implemented soon.

Please stop being willfully ignorant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Well, before you get into the outrage, you have to dip into it, see how hot it is. See if you're ready to climb in.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Verranicus posted:

Please stop being willfully ignorant.

Every month a new hero to try! You can pay for early access ( that isn't buying the hero we said we aren't going to do that). I sometimes feel like my bullets aren't doing enough damage but good news! Premium ammo. These guns are cool but what if they had a chance to shock? Good idea but we can't just let you buy that gun it'll be temporary and you need to gamble to get one. I like cosmetics but is there a way to make me sort of look like the enemy team? Sure and we'll throw in some camouflage so you're much harder to see. Activate ultimate boost for faster ult charge.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Aug 25, 2016

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
Yo real talk if a little button popped up saying "Buy PoTG - $0.50" and it automatically made you Play Of The Game a crashing tidal wave of 1337 Genjis would drown Blizzard HQ in money in their desperation to be Seagull 2.0.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Disgusting Coward posted:

Yo real talk if a little button popped up saying "Buy PoTG - $0.50" and it automatically made you Play Of The Game a crashing tidal wave of 1337 Genjis would drown Blizzard HQ in money in their desperation to be Seagull 2.0.

I like the way you think.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

I would be okay with removing characters only if it was sorta like what happens with iterative Street Fighter games: the ranks swell up to a pretty sizable number until a new edition of the game comes out with a new initial bench of heroes. Old favorites eventually make reappearances as the ranks swell again, but with revised kits that make sense for the new balance/rulesets.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Bolow posted:

Quit overreacting over dumb poo poo tia

Dumb millennials are the worst.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Duck and Cover posted:

Every month a new hero to try! You can pay for early access ( that isn't buying the hero we said we aren't going to do that). I sometimes feel like my bullets aren't doing enough damage but good news! Premium ammo. These guns are cool but what if they had a chance to shock? Good idea but we can't just let you buy that gun it'll be temporary and you need to gamble to get one. I like cosmetics but is there a way to make me sort of look like the enemy team? Sure and we'll throw in some camouflage so you're much harder to see. Activate ultimate boost for faster ult charge.

Bolow posted:

http://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20748714917?page=9#post-169

Jeff Kaplan posted:

We don't have any plans to retire any heroes. The interviewer asked if there was a possibility that this could ever happen and I "left the door open". The original poster in this thread did not even link to the original article but rather to an article quoting the article in question.

We're not even remotely thinking about retiring heroes right now or anytime in the foreseeable future.

I think this thread is making a mountain out of a molehill

Quit overreacting over dumb poo poo tia

How loving stupid are you, truly.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

How are experienced developers still this loving bad at pr?

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Bolow posted:

How loving stupid are you, truly.

I'm sorry you don't like my original ideas but there is no need to resort to name calling. You need to understand that games require tons of work and they have to be profitable for new content to be justified. It's capitalism if you don't like your free to make your own game. I hate how entitled players have become.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Aug 25, 2016

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I would probably spend a good $20 on buyable POTGs, all just Tobjorn banging on the turret with my hammer or blind Bastion kills.

Grammaton
Feb 3, 2004
Cleric
That new map requires more situational awareness than usual, I guess that's why I'm so bad at it.

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Ask me about my warcrimes.

Duck and Cover posted:

Nah great idea they can balance the game by adding more heroes and getting rid of your favorite every year. This is a great idea and I hope to see it implemented soon.

Eventually the roster will just snowball too much. To borrow from fighting games...

Too big of a roster becomes impossible to balance and just creates a lot of "dead weight" characters where most people only play a handful. So there's nothing wrong with having some iterations of a game which retain core characters and introduce new ones while swapping out the chaff. Especially if you periodically bring back the rest of them or just use them as hidden's that never show up in comp play anyways. As long as Blizzard is only lotterying for cosmetics, and retains the characters for non competitive play while bringing them back this isn't an issue.

Blizzard is one of the biggest and most trusted games in PC gaming for a reason. They've supported all their stuff like fanatics and everything they touch turns to gold. Plus competitive gaming's start is literally Doom - > Quake - > StarCraft and then everything else came later and followed those steps... and StarCraft is the biggest there ever was. Then look at WOW and MMO's. It's not like Blizzard has a history of mismanaging their IPs and ruining them, failing to balance, or screwing over their customers.

I don't understand what your meltdown is over? If you don't like the game don't play it. But your screaming about things that haven't happened in this game. Which is made by a company that has no recording of doing that sort of bullshit. Some of the things you're screaming about aren't even all that big of a deal. And if the company followed through on your worst fevered nightmares, they'd ruin their reputation so badly they'd tank their other IP's (Starcraft Warcraft) in a second.

I seriously don't get what the panic is. Unless you're someone that only played on consoles and isn't familiar with Blizzards history in PC, competitive, and online gaming. Everything will be fine.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

If you don't understand why removing characters from a game like this would be a disaster, where 95% of the appeal is the fact that every character has been very very carefully designed and marketed towards different segments of the playerbase, you are an idiot.

Fortunately Blizzard is not run by idiots, however many forum whines there are to the contrary. It's not going to happen, and they're perfectly happy to let characters languish unused at a competitive level just from seeing how they've treated defense characters so far.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

Asimo posted:

If you don't understand why removing characters from a game like this would be a disaster, where 95% of the appeal is the fact that every character has been very very carefully designed and marketed towards different segments of the playerbase, you are an idiot.

Fortunately Blizzard is not run by idiots, however many forum whines there are to the contrary. It's not going to happen, and they're perfectly happy to let characters languish unused at a competitive level just from seeing how they've treated defense characters so far.

Genji and hanzo must have been carefully marketed towards the playerbase segment that needs to be removed from this planet

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Snazzy Frocks posted:

Genji and hanzo must have been carefully marketed towards the playerbase segment that needs to be removed from this planet

Clearly Japanese characters with a murky past obsessed with vague concepts of honor and redemption, using anachronistic weaponry and mythical spirit beasts aka the weeaboo multi-reel jackpot.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Woah poo poo you mean video game fans love ninjas? Get the gently caress out, next thing you'll be telling me they love hot sniper chicks.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I found the perfect way to make me stop playing Genji even if I'm doing good with the Ninjaman.

Have my entire team try to mimic me! It's that simple! It seems today whenever I do good with him my team takes notice and decides "yeah but I bet we're BETTER genji's" and all start swapping to him and dying like flies in a bug zapper throwing the entire game in the process.

I literally had a round where the 5 kills I managed to get by myself were the only kills our team got the entire game due to the fact we didn't need a healer any more of course, we didn't need any tanks either, let's all just copy the guy who's actually getting a couple picks. :argh:

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

If, years upon years from now, there were an Overwatch 2, it would be okay to not have every current Overwatch character in it.

However, Blizzard takes the long-haul approach with their franchises, and Overwatch is certain to iterate gradually over a very long life rather than being replaced by a sequel. Because of that, there's never ever going to be a point where taking out a character won't piss off a chunk of the fanbase.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I found the perfect way to make me stop playing Genji even if I'm doing good with the Ninjaman.

Have my entire team try to mimic me! It's that simple! It seems today whenever I do good with him my team takes notice and decides "yeah but I bet we're BETTER genji's" and all start swapping to him and dying like flies in a bug zapper throwing the entire game in the process.

I literally had a round where the 5 kills I managed to get by myself were the only kills our team got the entire game due to the fact we didn't need a healer any more of course, we didn't need any tanks either, let's all just copy the guy who's actually getting a couple picks. :argh:

As Overwatch's worst non-thrower player here I have the worst MMR and in quickplay yesterday got paired up with exclusively single digit experience level players on my team and I got a gold medal with 5 Genji kills.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Snazzy Frocks posted:

This is correct but Blizzard also wants to extract all their money as efficiently as possible before the mass execution.

Supercar Gautier posted:

If, years upon years from now, there were an Overwatch 2, it would be okay to not have every current Overwatch character in it.

However, Blizzard takes the long-haul approach with their franchises, and Overwatch is certain to iterate gradually over a very long life rather than being replaced by a sequel. Because of that, there's never ever going to be a point where taking out a character won't piss off a chunk of the fanbase.
The big issue with removing characters isn't just people who quit because of it, because honestly that's a tiny minority. It's that if they did so it would mean all those cosmetic upgrades you "won" for that character no longer mattered and suddenly had a lot less or no value depending on whether the character was retired outright or just kept out of comp mode. That sort of thing does stick with people even if they don't consciously think about it, and indirectly removes a lot of the "value" in buying boxes.

But it's a non-issue since it will never happen, so hey.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

MysteriousStranger posted:

Eventually the roster will just snowball too much. To borrow from fighting games...

Too big of a roster becomes impossible to balance and just creates a lot of "dead weight" characters where most people only play a handful. So there's nothing wrong with having some iterations of a game which retain core characters and introduce new ones while swapping out the chaff. Especially if you periodically bring back the rest of them or just use them as hidden's that never show up in comp play anyways. As long as Blizzard is only lotterying for cosmetics, and retains the characters for non competitive play while bringing them back this isn't an issue.

Blizzard is one of the biggest and most trusted games in PC gaming for a reason. They've supported all their stuff like fanatics and everything they touch turns to gold. Plus competitive gaming's start is literally Doom - > Quake - > StarCraft and then everything else came later and followed those steps... and StarCraft is the biggest there ever was. Then look at WOW and MMO's. It's not like Blizzard has a history of mismanaging their IPs and ruining them, failing to balance, or screwing over their customers.

I don't understand what your meltdown is over? If you don't like the game don't play it. But your screaming about things that haven't happened in this game. Which is made by a company that has no recording of doing that sort of bullshit. Some of the things you're screaming about aren't even all that big of a deal. And if the company followed through on your worst fevered nightmares, they'd ruin their reputation so badly they'd tank their other IP's (Starcraft Warcraft) in a second.

I seriously don't get what the panic is. Unless you're someone that only played on consoles and isn't familiar with Blizzards history in PC, competitive, and online gaming. Everything will be fine.

I'm going to be honest I thought this was a joke post at first. It isn't and you gave effort so I'll respond. Modern Blizzard is not the company it was. I'm going to blame Activision for Blizzards downfall. (real id, lack of custom maps on sc2, d3 being not so good and I'm sure more stuff) they are still trusted because uhhh because people liked d2? Yeah that's probably it. I think the problem stems from trying to appeal to a broader and broader audience in their games. An fps that doesn't require aim, an arpg where you can't mess up your build,a Dota like were it's hard to die in, and a card game with little decision making. I don't honestly expect Blizzard to rotate heroes but the fact that it's an option is concerning.

Oh yes they do have a history of screwing over customers, they tried it in Heroes of the Storm, they did it in Overwatch. I'd argue Hearthstone is also exploitative but card game players seem to have high tolerance for that. As far as iffy balancing goes, there's Hearthstone and D3 (why hello invincible wizards how are you).

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Aug 25, 2016

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Jesus Christ I can't believe I may have found a worse player base than Payday's.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

Fuzz posted:

I am still really sad I did not get the DVa Olympics skin... that seriously is her best skin, by a huge margin.

The junker/scavenger skins are the best. It turns D.Va into some Mad Max style junker Gremlin that built a Mech from an old car and salvaged parts. The outfit is also really cool as opposed to the poured latex cat suits.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Jesus Christ I can't believe I may have found a worse player base than Payday's.

The light shall burn you.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I don't see how the lack of custom maps is a problem. The main reason a lot of companies are successful is because they protect their properties and don't allow it to be just endless 4v4 comp stomps on custom $$$$maps$$$$$

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Zephyrine posted:

The junker/scavenger skins are the best. It turns D.Va into some Mad Max style junker Gremlin that built a Mech from an old car and salvaged parts. The outfit is also really cool as opposed to the poured latex cat suits.

See I much prefer Junebug to either of those, but I'm a real sucker for that particular shade of bluish-green.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
I don't want a server browser or custom maps. Games like TF2 were designed with them in mind, Overwatch isn't. This is apparently a taboo opinion on the OF.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Jastiger posted:

I don't see how the lack of custom maps is a problem. The main reason a lot of companies are successful is because they protect their properties and don't allow it to be just endless 4v4 comp stomps on custom $$$$maps$$$$$

Tf2 only had 6 maps on release, one of which was 2fort. Custom maps are probably a good idea because Blizzard is too slow, and doesn't seem to make that great of a map.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
You can have a server browser and still have a quick play/comp button that only allows you to play standardized games. The server browser could be for custom games, that anyone can join. It's not that difficult a concept

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!
Decided I'd slam pick hanzo and try him for a whole match before the next update (have less than an hour on record) and I managed to get 30 kills mostly from blindly shooting arrows down choke points and into rooms lmao. They're going to buff this character.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Dumb newbie questions:

-How much damage do melee attacks actually do? I read that you probably want to mash the melee button if relatively close anyway. Does the damage vary according to character? I assume it would, given some of the characters have noodly girl arms and some have massive arms slamming down choppy hook/hammer/claw stuff.

-How do I get better at not getting shot in the back of the head? The voice prompts definitely help ("Turn around retard!" basically) but watching the kill videos I'm frustrated to find I'm making myself an easy target, always getting jumped from an unpredictable angle and by the time I realize who/where it is coming from I am already dead.

-What mode is the best to practice with new characters? I take it Skirmishing was meant for you to play around with unfamiliar characters, and there's always vs AI mode....I almost wish they included a training mode for each class that helped new people familiarize themselves with that character's mechanics (sort of like the 'training mode' in SC2 that helped you learn how to micro in different situations).

-Will Reinhart keep pushing an enemy with his charge till he hits a wall? He should get some bonus for doing it particularly long distances because I've been the victim of this and its pretty funny.

-What to do in Hanamura when the defenders turtle behind that gate? Bastions and their ilk can basically stuff up every attack because the gate is a pretty good choke point (I got PotG as Basition doing this as defender, and got similarly screwed when my team was attacking in another match)

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Isn't the main problem with custom maps and servers that people screw around with them to boost their ranks/rewards?

Like make 6 throwaway accounts then log into the server with those. Then you go there with 5 friends and just steamroll the afk team. Do achievements and farm ranks/unlocks/medals.

You could of course make it so that activities on custom maps and servers doesn't count towards your XP/ranks but then no one would ever go to them.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Zephyrine posted:

Isn't the main problem with custom maps and servers that people screw around with them to boost their ranks/rewards?

Like make 6 throwaway accounts then log into the server with those. Then you go there with 5 friends and just steamroll the afk team. Do achievements and farm ranks/unlocks/medals.

You could of course make it so that activities on custom maps and servers doesn't count towards your XP/ranks but then no one would ever go to them.

Those throwaway accounts are $40 each though.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Andrast posted:

Those throwaway accounts are $40 each though.

So each player brings their own extra. People are already doing this to get into lower rank matches.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

they could just make community maps part of the ptr and give the ones that are the most popular a once over from their designers before adding them to the official rotation

also you can't just make an alt account to play against it unless you have 2 pcs that can run the game and are willing to control both of them enough to avoid dropping out of the match. this is a problem of maybe dozens of people taking advantage of something; it's not that big a deal

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Zephyrine posted:

So each player brings their own extra. People are already doing this to get into lower rank matches.

And it's such a minor issue that it barely even registers.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Andrast posted:

And it's such a minor issue that it barely even registers.

Yes but if you could put 6 alt accounts and 6 real players on a server and then lock it or just keep it full. They could farm ranks/xp/lootboxes/achievements which would first of all undermine the value of having those things for the rest of the community and it would also undermine the incentive to buy boxes for the people who do it. This would be followed up by accusations and suspicions of people who earned them legitimately having acquired them on a server like that.

Combine this with a custom map that is just a big empty space and has both spawns 10 meters away from one another to save time.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
e;^^^You already gain no rank or XP from doing custom games as it stands, so the only thing you could really accomplish in this instance is grinding cheevos which lol who cares

Panfilo posted:

Dumb newbie questions:

-How much damage do melee attacks actually do? I read that you probably want to mash the melee button if relatively close anyway. Does the damage vary according to character? I assume it would, given some of the characters have noodly girl arms and some have massive arms slamming down choppy hook/hammer/claw stuff.

All melee attacks do 30 damage regardless of the hero doing them. In general melee is useful as a last bit of damage right after you've emptied your ammo into a hard moving target if you think that last little bit of damage can secure you a kill, and in certain other contexts (meleeing right after ramming someone as D.Va turns into a quick 80 damage combo), but otherwise you're almost always better off just using your weapon. On the other hand the melee hitbox is incredibly generous so if you're being bunnyhopped around by someone who's bad at shooting you in turn, meleeing them to death can be funny.

quote:

-How do I get better at not getting shot in the back of the head? The voice prompts definitely help ("Turn around retard!" basically) but watching the kill videos I'm frustrated to find I'm making myself an easy target, always getting jumped from an unpredictable angle and by the time I realize who/where it is coming from I am already dead.

One thing to do is to listen for footsteps and weapon fire that don't belong to anyone on your team. If you hear clunky boots and a steady PAFF PAFF PAFF then there's a Reaper nearby. But the bigger part of this is simply playing the game enough to become familiar with common areas that flankers and ambushers like to hit you from and developing an awareness for that sort of thing. "Oh, here's where people like to drop down behind the payload, here's that flanker alleyway I got ambushed from last time." A good way to familiarize yourself with these approaches is to play a character that makes use of them.

quote:

-What mode is the best to practice with new characters? I take it Skirmishing was meant for you to play around with unfamiliar characters, and there's always vs AI mode....I almost wish they included a training mode for each class that helped new people familiarize themselves with that character's mechanics (sort of like the 'training mode' in SC2 that helped you learn how to micro in different situations).

The basic practice range is good for getting familiar with a character's kit and practicing your accuracy, though it definitely lacks any robust features. Playing against the AI is...iffy. You can set up like a six bot custom game where everyone is Ana (who can't headshot) and make it headshots only to practice your headshots against livelier targets, but in general the best way to practice with new characters is just to do quickplay, ideally with a pal or three.

quote:

-Will Reinhart keep pushing an enemy with his charge till he hits a wall? He should get some bonus for doing it particularly long distances because I've been the victim of this and its pretty funny.

There's a maximum distance on Rein's charge and if you don't crush an enemy by the time you reach that point they escape unscathed, though on some maps you can time it just right so you charge someone off a cliff without going over yourself. As a Rein you actually want to avoid those really long charges because it puts you way out of position of the rest of your team, who no longer have one of their tanks to help, well, tank.

quote:

-What to do in Hanamura when the defenders turtle behind that gate? Bastions and their ilk can basically stuff up every attack because the gate is a pretty good choke point (I got PotG as Basition doing this as defender, and got similarly screwed when my team was attacking in another match)

Hanamura is honestly pretty unfun in a lot of peoples' opinions because the first choke is very much "you either steamroll it or it's a meatgrinder." There is that one little flanking path using the upper left window to consider and a fair number of characters have the mobility to go for it. A coordinated push through that level can pull defenders back from the main gate to deal with it, making it easier for anyone still going through the main gate to push through. Tanks like Reinhardt and D.Va can soak a Bastion's fire long enough for another hero to kill him, Junkrat can bounce grenades to hit one turtled up in cover, there are a number of ways to break through that sort of defense, it's just that they require A). practice and B). a reasonably coordinated team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
All of that sounds good and if they were gonna do it, would be wise to wait until the game has been out for a while. Its how tf2 made more money. Hats werent s thing until what, 3 years into its life?