Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Do you have to level your deviant quest to 10 for any particular reason outside of posting quests? Someone told me I had to level a quest to 10 to unlock the final forms at the very least but verification would be nice.

I hate the deviant system in this game. It makes finding rooms a real pain in the rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Rascyc posted:

Do you have to level your deviant quest to 10 for any particular reason outside of posting quests? Someone told me I had to level a quest to 10 to unlock the final forms at the very least but verification would be nice.

I hate the deviant system in this game. It makes finding rooms a real pain in the rear end.

Pretty sure you don't actually have to unlock the quests, you just need the appropriate tickets. Unlocking it yourself saves you the trouble of find rooms with the appropriate level.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
I'm going to get into gunning after getting up to the Rathian in low rank. Are there any guns and sets I should make to get started right or does it not really matter? The Anteka blaster looks hilarious so I'm starting there.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

Neo_Crimson posted:

Pretty sure you don't actually have to unlock the quests, you just need the appropriate tickets. Unlocking it yourself saves you the trouble of find rooms with the appropriate level.

You get a guild card award for clearing your specific rank ten hunt for each deviant, but there's nothing preventing you from making the armors/weapons without posting any of your own hunts.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
So question to long time veterans; is this series getting easier?

I originally found Monster Hunter Freedom on PSP and could barely get to Kut-ku. Over time I got better and better. I've never done G-rank or anything, but once I got to Tri I started doing a whole lot better. Now I'm blitzing through monsters, doing mixed matched armor and breaking parts no sweat. I mean, I know I've been getting better but I don't stress out over new monsters as much as I used to.

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

I'm going to get into gunning after getting up to the Rathian in low rank. Are there any guns and sets I should make to get started right or does it not really matter? The Anteka blaster looks hilarious so I'm starting there.

Lobster gun. It's a plush lobster toy that's also a gun.

Dress up in centataur or lobster armor for maximum claw.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Monster Hunter gets easier the more you play it.

Also FU had some hilariously awful hitboxes.

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

I got a lot of use out of the maccao LBG early on, rapid fire pierce is great for a surprising amount of monsters.

If your going to be gunning online then spec in sneak and use a silencer and you're basically invisible.

BipolarAurora
Jan 1, 2013

Donkringel posted:

I originally found Monster Hunter Freedom on PSP and could barely get to Kut-ku. Over time I got better and better. I've never done G-rank or anything, but once I got to Tri I started doing a whole lot better. Now I'm blitzing through monsters, doing mixed matched armor and breaking parts no sweat. I mean, I know I've been getting better but I don't stress out over new monsters as much as I used to.
It became more "easier" as the series gets more polished (less bullshit hitboxes and the exhaustion system) with each release. I'd say G-Rank GQs in 4U and the Deviants in Gens can be a genuine challenge.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost
Hunts in Generations are shorter not only because of reduced overall monster HP, but the addition of Arts and Styles as well. It might just be because I changed weapons but with aerial Switch Axe I can just be super aggro all the time, whereas I played Charge Blade in 4u and that was a lot of reactive play and baiting out specific attacks I knew I could capitalize on.

Also wow Snowbaron. It's the lightspeed drifter I always knew Lagombi could be :allears:

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Donkringel posted:

In some ways it has, but in the ways that count I don't really think it's fair to just compare more/less difficult.

Example, lots of weapons have rolling attacks. Simple additions, but they open a lot of damage windows that you just didn't have in earlier installments.

Counter-point: most weapons have been nerfed and nerfed again to offset whatever benefit those new attacks may have yielded. No matter how good weapons and tools get, most 'like difficulty' hunts end up being around ten minutes long for me. That hasn't changed. I cart less. My friend who only really plays with me carts the same.

There are definitely a lot of areas the games are just straight up easier. Some weapons have a lot more control mid combo. I think most every single weapon has slightly wide roll-recovery frames than 2nd generation, if not on every single attack, on one or two of them.

Then you have things like mounting. It's straight up a buff to every player class in the way KO was a huge boon to Hammers. Ways to control the hunts go a long way to making a fight easier in so far as you have to do not have to strictly adhere to the tried strategy of "hit the monster. don't get hit".

Example: Mounting a monster. Hunter arts.
-On the one hand both are straight boons.
-On the other, they are WAY more effective if used in concert and deliberately.

Take a novice. They will probably spam jump attacks, burn that first (easy to land) mount, then later in the hunt use Hunter Arts as they become available. They're strictly better off than they otherwise would have been in 2nd or even 3rd Generation.

But compare with a veteran: They may hold off on that first (easy to land) mount. Instead waiting until their big damage hunter art is charged in order to land the art on the monster's weakest hitzone.

The novice may end up landing a second mount (which is actually usually a fair bit of damage), but the veteran's hunter art was probably 2-3 times more damaging.

I won't disagree with the sentiment that the games are easier - but they still have all of the attributes that made earlier games feel terribly punishing, and every time a new game in the series is released I am reminded of this, as it is complimented by the inevitable influx of new players who complain of the stiff controls. Simply put, you're getting better, and what new features do get added that might otherwise make the game easier across the board, you're in a much better position to exploit to greater effect than a truly green hunter.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Welp, finished the game, bit of a smash cut abruptness and then a transition into.....

:japan:

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!
Yeah I just finished and I'm glad no one has discussed the ending, was very interesting.

Now on to HR! As I'm going, should I try to grind armor per tier or push through to do the higher quests? I'm HR 5 and there seems to be a larger and larger increase in monster power with each tier. I'm getting much better but still seem to soak at least 5 mega potions worth of damage in most hunts, while HR 3/4 ones I barely use 1.

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

threelemmings posted:

Yeah I just finished and I'm glad no one has discussed the ending, was very interesting.

Now on to HR! As I'm going, should I try to grind armor per tier or push through to do the higher quests? I'm HR 5 and there seems to be a larger and larger increase in monster power with each tier. I'm getting much better but still seem to soak at least 5 mega potions worth of damage in most hunts, while HR 3/4 ones I barely use 1.

It definitely seems to be a sharper incline each time. I'd find a good low-HR set (I used Death Stench S just because it was easy to farm alongside other hunts and I love the look), then keep upgrading that as you go along. They hold up fairly well, and I only ended up farming Zamtrios and Agnaktor for cold/hot fights, and then EX Shagaru for the last tier of HR.

If you don't mind the Deviant grind, Drilltusk makes a great HR set even before the Drilltusk skill activates and is actually fairly easy to farm. His tail goes inflamed way more often than normal Tetsucabra, so that's a massive weak spot that you can hit pretty frequently. The only rough part is breaking his face for tusks, and some good LS counters or GL shots take care of that, despite slowing down the hunt.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
Monster Hunter has definitely gotten easier as a game, but it has not gotten any friendlier either.

You will have an infinitely easier time introducing people to any of the genre concepts via God Eater/Toukiden/Freedom Wars/etc than tossing 4U/Gens at them and saying "have fun!"

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

What's the best way to farm Dragonite ore? Just on village 4* and it's crazy slow getting it from the standard paw pass quest.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Guild hall volcano tour should do the trick.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Donkringel posted:

Mostly its just you're getting way better. When I first played 3 I had trouble with Great Jaggi. Jumping into 3U he was easy. 4U and Gen I didn't even think about it, it was trivial. There's a lot you learn, items to bring with you, ways to respond to the monsters, which helps a ton. Knowing all that makes you better and saves you time, althoug you just get to the harder monsters faster, which works great.

That said, arial and adept styles probably make the game a bit easier? :)

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I have yet to get any of my friends into the game. It's always "why is it so ugly" or "ugh these controls"

I can't really blame them. I wish it were a console game too much like God Eater or Tokuiden.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
A few threads ago when 4U launched a friend of mine got the game after I convinced him, read no menus or guides, carted to G. Jaggi three times and complained a bunch to me about how hammer sucked. I tried to help him but he just quit.

Luckily at the launch of Gen I convinced a different friend to get into it (one with a much better disposition towards gaming) and he's hooked as hell now.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

keyboard vomit posted:

Lobster gun. It's a plush lobster toy that's also a gun.

Dress up in centataur or lobster armor for maximum claw.

There's customizable call outs and such right? Time to make a bunch of claw puns and emote sadly whenever someone kills a hermitaur.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Where have you been all my life?
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer
I just played through some hacked DLC. It was called, "Magician JDLC" and the description was "converted by [some dude].

The dual swords that can be made from the quest reward seems... interesting... They had dual elemental, which isn't that crazy, but it was like 30 fire 30 blast. Nutso.

It also seemed way too generous with the reward. It gave 4 of the Pluto stone or ore or whatever. I don't mind if someone was cool and converted Japanese DLC, but I don't want poo poo to be all hacked.

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

1337kutkufan6969 posted:

I just played through some hacked DLC. It was called, "Magician JDLC" and the description was "converted by [some dude].

The dual swords that can be made from the quest reward seems... interesting... They had dual elemental, which isn't that crazy, but it was like 30 fire 30 blast. Nutso.

It also seemed way too generous with the reward. It gave 4 of the Pluto stone or ore or whatever. I don't mind if someone was cool and converted Japanese DLC, but I don't want poo poo to be all hacked.

http://mhgen.kiranico.com/dualblades/exploding-blades

I dunno if that quest actually gives four Pluto Stardust for one. That seems like a little more than I'd expect; so far DLC quests seem to give one or two of the unique item, maybe three very rarely. But those swords do seem pretty awesome.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

I've been using adept dual blades lately, and my God.
  • Only loses one rarely used move
  • Insta-evade charges the demon gauge
  • Insta-evade is also an attack
  • Fast demon dashes instead of the run
  • Second dash can change direction
  • Dashes are completely invincible
Who thought this was balanced???

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Golden Goat posted:

What's the best way to farm Dragonite ore? Just on village 4* and it's crazy slow getting it from the standard paw pass quest.

High rank guild gathering missions just throw Dragonite ore at you in the volcano. I nabbed 120 of them just trying to get other things.

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

Anyone have any tips for setting up traps? I just wasted 40 min on a hunt (some rear end in a top hat named Duramboros) and I keep getting told by friends "USE TRAPS" but no real pointers.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Zmej posted:

Anyone have any tips for setting up traps? I just wasted 40 min on a hunt (some rear end in a top hat named Duramboros) and I keep getting told by friends "USE TRAPS" but no real pointers.

You...build a trap by combining a trap tool with either a net or shockbeetle and then lay it down when the monster starts limping?

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Theta Zero posted:

High rank guild gathering missions just throw Dragonite ore at you in the volcano. I nabbed 120 of them just trying to get other things.

Probably well beyond someone still working up village quests.

The answer is volcanoes, though. Low Rank (village) or High Rank, just keep mining in volcanoes and the Dragonite will roll in. You can even send cats on expeditions via D'artanyann to volcanoes and be able to pick up a couple of pieces of Dragonite that way.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

Zmej posted:

Traps are items you deploy that activate when a monster steps in them. While trapped, the monster will be helpless for a period of time. Traps can also be used to capture the monster by trapping them when their health is low enough that they limp, then smacking them with two or three tranquilizer bombs.

How long a monster is trapped is mainly determined by their energy state, IE they're gonna break out early if they're enraged or will flail forever if they're tired. Monsters will also break out of a trap more quickly if you caught them in the same type of trap previously. Traps come in Pitfall and Shock flavours, made by combining a trap kit with a net or a thinderbug respectively. Aside from some monster gimmicks (some monsters will break pitfall traps and shock traps will charge up a Zinogre), they function the same.

EDIT: Here's some handy tips about trap placing that I wish I knew when I started.

Don't drop the trap if they're about to run! I know it's nigh impossible to tell when a monster is ABOUT to run, but it's something you'll get a feel for after a while. You REALLY don't want a monster to flee an area after you drop a trap, because you can only drop one trap at a time and they take forever to despawn if a monster doesn't trip it. One way to help avoid this is to bring dungbombs to force the monster to flee on your terms.

Don't drop them up against a wall! I made this mistake yesterday with a Velocidrome. Turns out if you drop a trap right against a wall, invisible or not, the monster's hitbox will keep 'em from stepping on the trigger.

i am tim! fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Aug 25, 2016

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Specifically, with Duramboros, you want to pitfall trap him and then hit the lump on his back that you can reach, it's his weak point. Also, try and hit his legs while he's spinning, he'll get knocked over for a good long time.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

What's the earliest / easiest way I could get a Monster Bone L?

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Zmej posted:

99.999999999999% of hunt-speed problems can be solved by knowing how and where to attack the monster. The how is a combination of knowing the monster's openings, knowing your weapon's moves, and using equipment (traps, bombs, etc). You can get a handle on the how just by playing the game, although there are plenty of guides out there if you want to do some research. The where, which is literally referring to which part of the monster you hit, requires out-of-game knowledge but is hugely important. Hitting a monster in the wrong area (let alone with the wrong element) can literally cause you to do a tenth (or more) of hitting it in a weak area with the right attacks and element.

For instance, Duramboros takes by far the most damage on his humps, especially once they've been broken. The next best place to hit him is his hind legs (unless you are gunning, then it's his tail). That gives you a pretty straightforward plan of attack, hit him in the legs until you can hit him in the humps. Now we can apply some monster and game knowledge. If you stagger Duramboros' legs by hitting them while he is doing his ballerina spin, he'll fall over and give you a perfect chance to hit his humps. This can be pretty tricky with melee weapons however, so there are some other tricks we can pull out. A pitfall trap will lower Duramboros enough that his humps become easily accessed (whereas a shock trap won't). Additionally, a mount or a KO will also knock him over and give you access to the humps. Put all that together and you should be able to take care of him much quicker.

I didn't talk about elements in there (Duramboros is very weak to fire) because I like to stick to raw weapons before endgame. An elemental weapon can be extremely sub-optimal for a fight whereas a raw weapon will always just work. That's a personal choice but be aware that hitting weak areas becomes even more important when you are using elemental weapons, because elemental hitzones tend to be much more binary than physical ones.

As for where to find out hitzones, I personally prefer to use Ping's Dex (https://sites.google.com/site/pingsdex/pingsmhxdex) because it has nice pictures and diagrams but kiranico (http://mhgen.kiranico.com/) or one of the infographics floating around will do just fine as well.

Monster Hunter is a game where if you don't do your homework, poo poo is going to take a long rear end time. You can certainly play it without any out-of-game knowledge but I really, really don't recommend it.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

5er posted:

What's the earliest / easiest way I could get a Monster Bone L?

http://mhgen.kiranico.com/item/monster-bone-l

Daimyo Hermitaur, from carving or breaking it's shell.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

i am tim! posted:

Don't drop the trap if they're about to run! I know it's nigh impossible to tell when a monster is ABOUT to run, but it's something you'll get a feel for after a while. You REALLY don't want a monster to flee an area after you drop a trap, because you can only drop one trap at a time and they take forever to despawn if a monster doesn't trip it. One way to help avoid this is to bring dungbombs to force the monster to flee on your terms.

Don't drop them up against a wall! I made this mistake yesterday with a Velocidrome. Turns out if you drop a trap right against a wall, invisible or not, the monster's hitbox will keep 'em from stepping on the trigger.

"Drop traps next to the wall when the monster is leaving, got it"
- My cats

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

AttackBacon posted:

99.999999999999% of hunt-speed problems can be solved

thank you so much! it's hard not to get discouraged because every first, or second monster encounter kicks my rear end soooo much. but, I can tell I'm getting the "feel" for some that I've fought for a third or fourth time. I just wish I wasn't so rear end at evasion.

I did some low HR 6 huntin with goons throughout the day and it was great. except for that one part when the dread queen went from "alive" to "dead" with no warning when we were suppose to capture it, lol.

Konig
Feb 24, 2012

This stink up's mega
bam-bam to the J-Stop
Ok looking to set up element-specific SnS armors, skills I have my eye on are;
  • [Element] Atk +2
  • Element Up
  • Element Crit
  • Crit Eye +3
This looks achievable with a solid charm, are there any skills I should be swapping out in favor of others?

Konig fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Aug 25, 2016

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Razor sharp so you don't have to sharpen every half second

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Ignimbrite posted:

Specifically, with Duramboros, you want to pitfall trap him and then hit the lump on his back that you can reach, it's his weak point. Also, try and hit his legs while he's spinning, he'll get knocked over for a good long time.

Oh man. Can you do this with Critical Juncture? Because that sounds hilarious. I like using that on Rathalos when he does his magnetic homing talons.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
I'm not sure if procing a critical juncture on his tail (since his legs have no attack hitboxes during the spin and that's what you're hitting to make him fall over) would trip him. Can always try :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
You could just flash bomb him while he is spinning to knock him over. At least in 3U you could, haven't fought him yet in this game. Though the timing is a bit tricky to get down at first.

• Locked thread