Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

like the poll itself, this picture shamelessly stolen

Forums poster Xenophon ran a fun little poll last summer in an attempt to determine SAS' favorite baseball players, a thread you can see here. With his express permission, I am stealing, retooling, and reposting it for 2016.

We're going to do whaaaa?
If you want in, send me a list of your 10 favorite active MLB players. By "favorite," I mean a guy you like. You can like him for whatever reason - on field performance, off field shenanigans, mad twitter game, dreamy eyes (poster's note: even though this point was included in the last thread, Kris Bryant somehow still didn't even make the list -- shameful), took you out for drinks one night, I don't care why. We're not identifying the "best" players, we're looking for your favorites. By "active MLB player" I mean a player who has been on an MLB 25-man roster sometime in the course of the 2016 season.

Send your list (and your username) to sasheartsbaseball@gmail.com. Please number the list to help with the tabulation - you can just copy/paste this and fill it out.

Your #1 player will receive 10 points, your #2 player will receive 9, your #3 will receive 8, and so on. If you send me an incomplete list, it hurts your top picks - so if you send me a list of 5 players, the top one receives 5, the next receives 4, etc.

I am very sorry but I can't figure out any easy way to get a list of all active MLB players. My suggestion would be to use Wikipedia and search team by team.

Wait a minute, why not 50?
Eh, I think 25 is enough for us.

Can I vote for garbage players like Jeff Francoeur #1
Yes! Any reason! Your username will not be attached to your votes, either!

Can I vote repeatedly for all Royals?
ALL STAR JOKE LANDED only vote once please

What about guys who would be playing this year but are on the DL?
Yeah, OK, sure

Deadline???
Please mail your ballots by the end of Saturday, September 3 (10 days from now). I'll start the countdown shortly thereafter, posting a few players a day.

----------

Please do not post your ballots in this thread, at least until the polling is over. But do post in this thread to argue for certain players, point out players that other people might overlook, post videos and .jpgs and .gifs of players, use stats to prove your case, invent stats that prove your case, complain about how stats are meaningless in a popularity contest, whatever.

Go!

YeahTubaMike fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Sep 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JeterianGiftBasket
Jul 9, 2016

#re2pect
I've submitted my votes! Can't wait to see how this works out.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
Resident Rocking Dachshund
I sent you my list. It was a little tough to narrow down and sort 10 in order, but I'm satisfied with what I came up with.

I would love to do a 25 Least Favorite MLB players as well so I could get my hate on.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
There actually was a little talk about a least favorite player poll in the previous thread, and I'm not sure that it ever happened. I wouldn't mind having a least favorite player poll alongside this one, now that I've got my Excel sheet all set up.

edit: :siren: Least favorite active players poll now active! :siren: Just format everything the same way as the OP dictates, only with your least favorite players in the list instead of the most.

YeahTubaMike fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Aug 24, 2016

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
So far, I have 6 "most favorite" ballots and 5 "least favorite" ballots (either one person is least negative than the rest of us or they didn't catch my update), including my own. Here are some fun facts about the results so far:
  • There is only one player everyone loves, and only one who everyone hates.
  • Points-wise, the most hated player is more hated than the most loved one is loved.
  • There is ONE player who is both loved and hated. (edit: I can't read/count)
When you're sending me your ballots, please feel free to include justifications for your picks. They are fun to read.

Don't forget to campaign for your most & least faves! I would campaign but as the designated balloteer, I feel as though I should remain neutral. :geno:

YeahTubaMike fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Aug 25, 2016

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I know who's gonna win most hated. I hope it isn't close

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

Poque posted:

Cubs fans?

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

YeahTubaMike posted:

There is no player who is both loved and hated (yet?).

This surprises me because I put a player pretty high up on my dislike list that I'm 100% certain will be on some SAS favourite lists.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Good Dog posted:

Cubs fans?

:negative:

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Poque posted:

I'm putting Braun/Lackey on my most loved list just to spite you.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Poque posted:

Trying not to give away too much, but I'm actually surprised at who's #1 right now.

shadok posted:

This surprises me because I put a player pretty high up on my dislike list that I'm 100% certain will be on some SAS favourite lists.

Upon carefully reviewing my lists, I have determined that my "no overlap" fun fact is incorrect. Whether or not the overlap is directly related to what you posted, I can not say. :ninja:

JeterianGiftBasket
Jul 9, 2016

#re2pect

Poque posted:

It's gotta be Chapman, right? Domestic violence with a gun is pretty drat hateable.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
It took me a lot longer to think of 10 players I hated and only a few I had strong feelings about. I guess that just shows I'm a lover not a hater.

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

Popete posted:

It took me a lot longer to think of 10 players I hated and only a few I had strong feelings about. I guess that just shows I'm a lover not a hater.

Yeah I'm having trouble getting past 5. I really just hate teams, not so much the players on them.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe
I don't think of myself as a misogynist but it did not take me long at all to name 9 MLB active racists/bigots and one "that guy is a dick plus my home team has history with him".

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

shadok posted:

I don't think of myself as a misogynist but it did not take me long at all to name 9 MLB active racists/bigots and one "that guy is a dick plus my home team has history with him".

I guess I don't have that much beef for players that say something dumb in the media one time and then go back to saying boring generic sports cliches. Obviously there are serial idiots who made the list, but I also tried to avoid putting guys on the list for alleged wrong doings or pending investigations because I don't know the facts or circumstances so I'd rather just pick guys I've witnessed be idiots.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Popete posted:

:hfive: I had a list of around 25-30 players that I liked that I had to narrow down to 10, and a list of six that I was having trouble filling in until I allowed myself to hate players for stuff like having ugly haircuts and bad walk-up music. I try not to dislike players simply for playing badly.

shadok posted:

I'm confused about the bold part.

Also, nine? I could only think of five players who are actually bad people, a couple that I dislike for frivolous reasons, and a couple more that play the game The Wrong Way.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

YeahTubaMike posted:

I'm confused about the bold part.

Brain fart. I meant to write "misanthrope".

Well maybe I am a misanthrope after all. Huh.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
It's entirely possible that my knowledge of players isn't so in-depth that I can be bothered to hate so many of them. This is why campaigning in this thread is important. :v:

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
I put several Cubs on both my favorite and least favorite lists

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Remember that Yordano Ventura is a man child who throws at people for having the audacity to get a hit off of him. There is my champion for the hater squad.

canadianclassic
Nov 3, 2004

In addition to yordano, remember that jonathan papelbon exists

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Brian McCann yelled at Jose Fernandez. That's like throwing up on a baby.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Popete posted:

Remember that Yordano Ventura is a man child who throws at people for having the audacity to get a hit off of him. There is my champion for the hater squad.

Then there's this rear end in a top hat:

Matt Garza posted:

I told [Samardzija], 'It doesn't matter, dude. You play in Chicago. I was there, and I lost 30 wins in three seasons. It's not your fault. You pitch your way out of there.'

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
I need actual real names to be able to add your ballots correctly! I'm an NL East fangirl, so if you use vague descriptions/nicknames from outside that area, I won't be able to decipher them.

Poque posted:

Brian McCann yelled at Jose Fernandez. That's like throwing up on a baby.

I laughed really hard at this.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I'm going through every team's 40 man roster and the only reason I can even name two Athletics is because they spent the last week murdering each other.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
I turned in my list and completely forgot to put Daniel Murphy on my most hated list. I'm the worst gay. :negative:

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

Poque posted:

I'm going through every team's 40 man roster and the only reason I can even name two Athletics is because they spent the last week murdering each other.

I really like the name "Graveman" so I'm never forgetting that guy.

Also, Coco Crisp!

Basically Billy Beane needs to double down on ridiculously named players.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Poque posted:

In addition to Butler and Valencia, I can name Josh Reddick because he is quite handsome. I know nothing else about him.

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I turned in my list and completely forgot to put Daniel Murphy on my most hated list. I'm the worst gay. :negative:

I promise I will not report you to the Gay Police.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

YeahTubaMike posted:

In addition to Butler and Valencia, I can name Josh Reddick because he is quite handsome. I know nothing else about him.

Not an Athletic!

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

YeahTubaMike posted:

I promise I will not report you to the Gay Police.

I won't :twisted:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Poque posted:

Not an Athletic!

Welp :saddowns:

At least I'm not more than a month late getting this news.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
A-Rod is a saint and if we all vote him our favorite player he will bless this forum with 699 centaurs.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I put A-Rod in neither my loved or hated list. Now what SAS???

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Papelbon seems like a lock for least favorite given what I've read in the last year

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller
If I weren't a Sox fan I would have Pierzynski on my most hated list, but at this point I don't think he's as hated as he once was. Maybe this poll will prove me wrong v:shobon:v

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

YeahTubaMike posted:

There actually was a little talk about a least favorite player poll in the previous thread, and I'm not sure that it ever happened. I wouldn't mind having a least favorite player poll alongside this one, now that I've got my Excel sheet all set up.

edit: :siren: Least favorite active players poll now active! :siren: Just format everything the same way as the OP dictates, only with your least favorite players in the list instead of the most.

Is it cool if both ballots are in one email as long as they're clearly labeled?

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Red posted:

Is it cool if both ballots are in one email as long as they're clearly labeled?

I would actually prefer this, thanks for asking. :)

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

YeahTubaMike posted:

I would actually prefer this, thanks for asking. :)

Please enjoy my uncommon votes.

Edit:

I voted for Ben Revere in my top 10 favorites.

Besides being cool and fast, and making amazing catches this year, he also beat the poo poo out of a trash can once. It was neat.

A vote for Ben Revere is a vote against terrible trash cans. God bless.

Red fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Aug 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Ahhhhhh, the Sean Rodriguez defense.

• Locked thread