Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Frog Act posted:

well they're not ruining anything but their own health. there is one at my school, a huge fat retard who stands around with fat acceptance signs from time to time.

this is her

I love tits so what's the problem here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Chiming in about Counselling Psychology to ask if the program attracts broken people or creates them?

The majority of delicate poly/genderqueer/misc. sexual orientation people I know are in the program, and I can't figure out why. These are the people offended by other people's wedding rings as symbols of "heteromonoganormativity and patriarchal ownership of women". I don't know how they will be running expelled students programs or counselling abuse victims without breaking down.

E: Yoga was Culturally Appropriative.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/nov/23/yoga-classes-cultural-appropriation

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
I think the old people who run educational institutions are just now starting to understand how the internet has been working for the last half decade or so.

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
are you guys all in college or something? i can't imagine anyone having an opinion about nu-liberal college culture unless you're currently enrolled or recently graduated.

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015
Only SJWs are allowed to use that term here.

Oh shi

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

scott zoloft posted:

are you guys all in college or something? i can't imagine anyone having an opinion about nu-liberal college culture unless you're currently enrolled or recently graduated.

children are the future

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

scott zoloft posted:

i'm a grad student so if i play my cards right i will literally never leave college

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Everyone I know who got a PhD from UofC is misanthropic as gently caress and legitimately traumatized, lol. This fits everything I've ever heard about going to school there. Normal schools don't have to lead with how they aren't going to coddle you; they just don't. Everyone who thinks this is a sign of a healthy campus is an idiot.

Also, I keep seeing people posting about how dumb schools are of creating these safe spaces, like the school did anything at all besides let a group of students reserve a room according to the normal space reservation process and use it for activities that don't go against school policy. I am pretty sure no one in Brown's administration came up with the coloring book idea. It was just a bunch of sophomores. Should upper admins, who have jobs like managing actual crises and university budgets, have spent their valuable time declaring "no! you may not color here!"? No one in these threads ever has any idea what they are talking about.

Fucked-Up Little Dog
Aug 26, 2008

Posting live from the nightmare future of Web 3.0

Scratchmo
Two ladies at work were trying to figure out how to separate desks (it's a cubicle farm hellscape) and I wanted to help but chose not to for fear of being accused of mansplaining.

That is my story about the recent gender paradigm.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Wowbagger2004 posted:

Two ladies at work were trying to figure out how to separate desks (it's a cubicle farm hellscape) and I wanted to help but chose not to for fear of being accused of mansplaining.

thats a stupid thing to fear

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

pentyne posted:

People who grow up and suffer from real/serious past traumas are probably less then 1% of the people freaking out online about safe spaces and demanding the removal of things they find offensive or triggering. Look at what happened at Yale when that one professor sent out an email stating "banning people from wearing racist costumes does nothing, if you see someone doing it make them aware of how it makes you feel blah blah blah" basically a little tone deaf but wholly emphasizing that people need to be engaging with things they disagree with don't understand rather then have institutions simply shield them from them entirely. Cue this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tsgc0k594Js
http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2015/11/the-new-intolerance-of-student-activism-at-yale/414810/

This is one of the greatest institutions of learning in the world, and hear is someone who's dedicate his life to education and students being screamed at for trying to discuss the matter with people in a calm way. The professor who sent the email end up resigning. The same thing with the racism at the other college campuses, there was a "safe space" that sprung up in the middle of the quad and had protestors getting borderline-physically violent with cameras and reporters

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/11/09/mizzou-protesters-to-media-stay-out-of-our-safe-space-or-we-ll-call-the-cops.html

This is not healthy and not helpful in any way. All it does is reinforce the idea in these people's heads that they can just refuse and walk away from a problem rather then dealing with it head on and grow from the experience. Maybe UoC will face a backlash for it, maybe they won't. Either way the rise of tumblr-sjw-internet trolls hyping up these incidents and causing real world harm to people who were just trying to help isn't going away any time soon.
Your idea of "dealing with" racism is to have black people tell white people they're being racist. Why the hell is this their responsibility? And what proof do you have that this is in any way effective?

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010

scott zoloft posted:

That's how it starts and then it slowly expands to contaminate other fields. This ideological corruption must be excised from society to preserve unity !
This would never have happened if we had the secret police to protect us :(

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

scott zoloft posted:

we're gonna have to sift through all these people to find someone actually hireable

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

i think they should add unsafe spaces full of knives and used needles to counter these sfae spaces

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Parallax Scroll posted:

we're gonna have to sift through all these people to find someone actually hireable

if i had a subordinate that started carrying on about trigger warnings and safe spaces id cook up a reason to fire them because those concepts do not jive with the concept of a job

plain blue jacket
Jan 13, 2014

IT DOESN'T STOP
IT NEVER STOPS

Sp1r0_Agn3W posted:

if i had a subordinate that started carrying on about trigger warnings and safe spaces id cook up a reason to fire them because those concepts do not jive with the concept of a job

It's not like people are lining up to work at the toilet store buddy

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
At least we wont have to fear being usurped by a better trained and more talented younger generation like they did in the late 90's early 00's.

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
i was wearing one of my college shirts at wawa (like usual) and a girl behind the deli counter saw it and introduced herself to me as a rising senior and said "oh it's so wonderful to see another friendly face!" (my school was small and like 4 hours away so running into a student or an alum is noteworthy to us). i thought that was a strange thing to say, but you know i smile and say "yeah cool, how do you like it?" etc

it's a loving shame she's a college senior and she can't make a quesadilla. all the filling was lumped into the center quesadilla slice and the cheese wasn't melted at all.

thankfully she'll have all the time in the world to practice making quesadillas at wawa after she graduates.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

At least we wont have to fear being usurped by a better trained and more talented younger generation like they did in the late 90's early 00's.

Oh we will, just not from the US.

Stuffguyman
Jun 3, 2007

MasBrillante posted:

Everyone I know who got a PhD from UofC is misanthropic as gently caress and legitimately traumatized, lol. This fits everything I've ever heard about going to school there. Normal schools don't have to lead with how they aren't going to coddle you; they just don't. Everyone who thinks this is a sign of a healthy campus is an idiot.

Also, I keep seeing people posting about how dumb schools are of creating these safe spaces, like the school did anything at all besides let a group of students reserve a room according to the normal space reservation process and use it for activities that don't go against school policy. I am pretty sure no one in Brown's administration came up with the coloring book idea. It was just a bunch of sophomores. Should upper admins, who have jobs like managing actual crises and university budgets, have spent their valuable time declaring "no! you may not color here!"? No one in these threads ever has any idea what they are talking about.

These are all good points, but none of them result in me making fun of Tumblrs to feel better about myself.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Frosted Flake posted:

These are the people offended by other people's wedding rings as symbols of "heteromonoganormativity and patriarchal ownership of women". I don't know how they will be running expelled students programs or counselling abuse victims without breaking down.

i honestly don't know how they will survive outside of academia lol

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
They'll still have probably have safe spaces, it's just that administrators and faculty will have access to them, instead.

I get this is less about the students and more about the administration-level of things. We can't police EVERYTHING for offensive thought and words on campus, but the moment we get a single complaint brought to our attention, we can now take care of it discreetly from the eyes of the public in our offices and remove the problem without fanfare by citing arcane and infrequently used policy.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
someone should explain to them about how language is cultural appropriation then maybe they'll stop using it and stfu

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

i despise the idea of cultural appropriation but luckily i have never ever heard it mentioned by even the most left wing professors i've had

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Moridin920 posted:

someone should explain to them about how language is cultural appropriation then maybe they'll stop using it and stfu

You know what would be beautiful: If universities with a Foreign Language requirement suddenly announced any applicants with any sort of previous FL coursework at the high school or college level would be barred from attending.

"Hey, it's not OUR fault that you took French or Spanish..."

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'm pretty sure it's real in like very specific contexts that I can't even really think of right now but... in general cultures mesh and intermingle and that's how everything spreads and I'm pretty sure no rational person left or right wing would dispute it.

The logical end of the argument is all groups must live completely separate from each other in segregated societies and never talk or mingle lest they 'steal' culture from some other group. That's basically as xenophobically fascist as it gets, not that they realize it bc they're likely just morons angry about racism but with no real solution.

but like okay if Disney goes and finds some African tribe and then just jacks all their steez and makes a bunch of money on a cool movie and the tribe just gets the shaft then that is kinda lovely but I don't think that's what they are talking about at all really and even then it's kinda :shrug:

plain blue jacket
Jan 13, 2014

IT DOESN'T STOP
IT NEVER STOPS
I thought cultural appropriation was a normal thing humans have been doing for as long as we had spoken language and could scrawl on the cave wall with poo poo.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
But like gently caress them if they think I'ma stop chowing down on burritos late at night when I'm drunk lol

plain blue jacket posted:

I thought cultural appropriation was a normal thing humans have been doing for as long as we had spoken language and could scrawl on the cave wall with poo poo.

yeah it's just how things develop and spread

our numerical system is 'culturally appropriated,' all the kanji lettering in Japan/China/etc. has been stolen back and forth for thousands of years is too, and basically everything ever is because nothing is new under the sun

I guess give white people steel working back lol

dZPnJOm8QwUAseApNj
Apr 15, 2002

arf bark woof
my alma mater :3

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Wowbagger2004 posted:

mainsplaining is a man telling a woman how to do her job or about her area of expertise because he assumes he knows more. are these ladies carpenters? if they are not, ask if they want help. if they do not, don't help.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
Actually the removal of safe spaces at UC letter was a subtle way of informing the campus security they were all being fired.

Good luck class of 2020, the southside isn't so bad!

A Bakers Cousin fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Aug 25, 2016

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

helping people makes you a bigot

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

MasBrillante posted:

Do go on. I considered UofC for my Masters but decided not to go for it. I'd like to know what kind of hell I avoided.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Parallax Scroll posted:

helping people makes you a bigot

it'd be HELPFUL if you would TRIGGER WARNING THAT LANGUAGE

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
"I'd like to help you with that, but unfortunately I'd have to treat it as a private contracting gig. I could draw up an estimate if you'd like and leave a contact number if you want to go ahead with the work and we can schedule a time I can come back and move those desks."

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

FISTS CURE WOMEN posted:

Actually the removal of safe spaces at UC letter was a subtle way of informing the campus security they were all being fired.

jeez

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

i get a text message every time someone from university gets victimized and every single year during freshman welcome week the robberies spike like crazy

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Spartan Race canceled over ‘cultural appropriation’ concerns

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

FISTS CURE WOMEN posted:

The RIDDLER is going to run Chicago!? Good for him, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Moridin920 posted:

I feel like college/university should be a place to get confronted by things that make you uncomfortable and that make you dialogue with opponents and be exposed to new things and I support U of C's words on this matter.

That said I feel like someone there doesn't get 'trigger warnings' because it's more like just letting people know what the topic will be before they get into it so they can make their own decision on whether they want to participate or not and I see nothing wrong with that? Tho obv it goes too far when people get mad that a pomegranate isn't tagged as 'gore.'

you kind of answered your own question with this tho. including any trigger warnings necessitates including ALL possible trigger warnings, because literally anything can be argued to be a trigger for someone. let's say you have a class that discusses sexual assault and put trigger warnings: sexuality, sexual assault, derogatory epithets, violence. then someone comes to class and flips poo poo that you didn't put up a trigger warning for bicycles because the girl that was assaulted was on her bicycle and some bitchmade idiot retard scraped their knee when they fell off a bike 16 years prior and now have outbursts of violent sobbing and now the school has to include a bicycle trigger warning on a class lecture on sexual assault. since "trigger warning" as a category is kind of a new thing there's no etiquette or style sheet on what constitutes an appropriate addition to the category, and a lot of people are opposed to there being any kind of discussion on what's appropriate or not for that reason. trigger warnings are treated equally by necessity across the board, which has the dual effect of minimizing legitimately traumatic things (like rape, racism, abuse) while elevating peoples' pet peeves to legitimacy (pomegranates, bicycles, rocks arranged to look like a dick & balls)

Heath fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Aug 25, 2016

• Locked thread