Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Saw a last gen Mustang GT in a parking lot with some of the baldest tires I have ever seen, threads showing on the back right. The car was spotless and everything about it was perfect, except for that small detail. I'd hate to be driving with him next time it rains...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

IOwnCalculus posted:

Amazingly, after the third time I flashed him with the headlights, he actually turned them on!

How dare you just come in here and tell lies.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Spotted another victim of DRLs and perma-backlit gauges, but probably a new high (low?) score for stupidity. I10W, I think it was somewhere between Palo Verde and Quartzsite, so middle of fuckin' nowhere with zero street lights. Sun completely gone so no ambient light, and cruising at 75+ with no lighting at all from the rear. Couldn't see him at all until you were practically on top of him already.

Amazingly, after the third time I flashed him with the headlights, he actually turned them on!

That last sentence is the only part that is surprising. I am so damned used to seeing people on I10 without lights. Or worse (for me) with 8 bajillion candle-power lights on, because gently caress everyone else, gotta light up the world!

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

sleepy.eyes posted:

Saw a last gen Mustang GT in a parking lot with some of the baldest tires I have ever seen, threads showing on the back right. The car was spotless and everything about it was perfect, except for that small detail. I'd hate to be driving with him next time it rains...
Will probably spin out going straight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0w1G9FG8EI

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

sleepy.eyes posted:

He's just getting ready for the next car show.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
Grass, light poles, and pedestrians are a Mustang's natural habitat.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Cage posted:

Will probably spin out going straight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0w1G9FG8EI

Jesus. If he hadn't stayed on the brakes the whole time, he could have recovered.

Nevermind trying to drag race in the rain. Those plates look odd, too.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

PenisMonkey posted:

Grass, light poles, and pedestrians are a Mustang's natural prey.

ftfy

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
This is a minor complaint but I hate people who throw right of way to the wind just to do what they think is polite. I turn left into my neighborhood each night and I can see the oncoming traffic, so if I can, when I put my blinker on I slow down a little early to time it with the last oncoming car so the people behind me don't have to just come to a complete stop and get going again after I turn. Cue the very last car in the oncoming lane seeing me with my blinker and coming to a complete stop in his lane and flashing his lights at me to give me the go-ahead. Alright... I guess, but if you had just kept driving like you're supposed to I had this all worked out already because I understand how driving works. If he checked his rear view mirror he'd know there was no one behind him and I'd have easily turned right after he went by, and the fact that he didn't check his rear view means he has no qualms about potentially stopping everyone in his lane so the people in my lane wouldn't have to wait for me? Pat yourself on the back for being a polite moron though.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Ive seen too many cars get plowed by someone with the right of way that can't see that a bunch of people are being dangerous idiots and trying to encourage someone to turn blindly. gently caress that, I'll wait until all lanes and vehicles are accounted for.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I despise that behavior and I'm on a bicycle. It happens pretty frequently, too: any intersection with a right-of-way and two stop signs is a great candidate. One person on the right-of-way sees the cyclist and slows to a stop to coax me across the intersection.
No thanks stranger, I play by the same traffic rules/laws as you do. The next rear end in a top hat on his phone may plow right into the stopped car or me.
So, I usually just sit at the intersection and stare. Eventually everyone else gets tired of Mr. Nice and starts honking. At that point, Nice Guy is flustered and mad at me.

Never fails.

It would have been much faster and less confusing for everyone to have Mr. Nice Guy just drive through the intersection at the posted speed limit. WTF.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Sometimes it's funny to sit there and wait. They get increasingly frantic and eventually pissed off at you.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.
I usually take out my water bottle and take a good long drink. Tends to get the point across without making the driver mad. Usually.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Dick Trauma posted:

Gotta get the RV to the Rock & Gem show as fast as possible! :corsair:

They're *minerals*, Marie!

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
They just can't believe a cyclist would turn down such a nice gesture.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Phanatic posted:

They're *minerals*, Marie!

You don't want to miss the PETRIFIED WOOD BLOWOUT! :supaburn:

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

IOwnCalculus posted:

Spotted another victim of DRLs and perma-backlit gauges, but probably a new high (low?) score for stupidity. I10W, I think it was somewhere between Palo Verde and Quartzsite, so middle of fuckin' nowhere with zero street lights. Sun completely gone so no ambient light, and cruising at 75+ with no lighting at all from the rear. Couldn't see him at all until you were practically on top of him already.

How the gently caress do people like this just not realize that they can't see anything?

I drove from Logan to Denver and I-70 at night is loving scary with how many people are DRL-only after dark.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Protocol7 posted:

How the gently caress do people like this just not realize that they can't see anything?

I drove from Logan to Denver and I-70 at night is loving scary with how many people are DRL-only after dark.

It's hard to notice that you can't see much when you never actually bother to look outside of your car anyway (based on how many people I see every single day on my commute staring at their phone instead of looking out the window).

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Protocol7 posted:

A lot of cars before the LED DRL era used the high beams at reduced power. I could certainly see how if you don't drive at night in un-lit areas often you might not notice the poor performance thanks to not being used to it.

A few years back I was riding with my brother to Thanksgiving at my grandmother's. He lives and works in the DC area so his car is used pretty much 100% within a city where street lights are everywhere or on well lit highways around said city. Grandma on the other hand is in the distant suburbs of Richmond. For two hours on I-95 I don't notice a drat thing out of the ordinary, but we got two streets off the highway to a standard country road and it was suddenly very apparent that both lights were hilariously out of alignment.

I'm a guy who will happily do 140+ given an empty stretch of highway and I was legitimately scared doing 50 down back roads with these lights. The next day I made him pull it in to the garage so we could align the lights properly and the one on the passenger side was over four inches below the mark with the car parked mere feet from the wall. The return trip was during daylight so I didn't see the real world difference myself but he noted the next day that he could see the lights' hot spot on his office wall when he parked which he normally couldn't.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
Wonder how many of those are rental cars/rental car drivers?

I rented a car where the bulb retention thingies were completely busted by someone trying to put the wrong halogen bulbs into the holders.

Avis was completely dumbfounded when I objected before I even started teh car, by turning the car on and noticing how badly the lights were aligned and shaky.

Avis then tried to charge me for the damage.

gently caress Avis forever.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Ughhh, regulating poo poo that doesn't need regulated because most trucks limit their speed already.

quote:

The U.S. Transportation Department on Friday issued a proposed rule that would require trucks and buses to be equipped with devices that would limit their speed, a move it said could save both lives and fuel.

"There are significant safety benefits to this proposed rulemaking," Transportation Secretary Anthony Foxx said in a statement. "In addition to saving lives, the projected fuel and emissions savings make this proposal a win for safety, energy conservation, and our environment."

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-transportation-speed-idUSKCN1111RO?feedType=RSS&feedName=domesticNews

Because we all are super enthused about getting even MORE elephant races on the interstates.

Maybe they can mandate a "push to pass" button like indycars get.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Anything to avoid fixing the actual problem.

http://www.ccjdigital.com/80-percent-of-car-truck-crashes-caused-by-car-drivers-ata-report-says/

So in 2014, there were 29,989 fatal accidents, of those, only 3,186 involved trucks over 26,000 gvwr. If the causes remain constant, and 80% of those are caused by car drivers, then 637 of those were caused by the truck, or 2.1% of all fatal accidents. So rather than putting some weight behind distracted driving laws or requiring more stringent driver training and licensing requirements, they go nuts limiting truck speeds and implement hamfisted driver hour of service regulations because it looks like they're doing something without upsetting the idiots actually causing the problems.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Powershift posted:

Anything to avoid fixing the actual problem.

http://www.ccjdigital.com/80-percent-of-car-truck-crashes-caused-by-car-drivers-ata-report-says/

So in 2014, there were 29,989 fatal accidents, of those, only 3,186 involved trucks over 26,000 gvwr. If the causes remain constant, and 80% of those are caused by car drivers, then 637 of those were caused by the truck, or 2.1% of all fatal accidents. So rather than putting some weight behind distracted driving laws or requiring more stringent driver training and licensing requirements, they go nuts limiting truck speeds and implement hamfisted driver hour of service regulations because it looks like they're doing something without upsetting the idiots actually causing the problems.

And if you take into account the fact that only a fraction of those accidents were caused by the truck going too fast (and of the accidents caused by a truck going "too fast" you must further eliminate circumstances where it couldn't be avoided by a limiter, such as the the truck that lost its brakes on the Coq last month), it's even dumber!

To be quite honest, I've rarely, if ever, seen a large truck and thought to myself: "boy, this truck is just going too fast! I sure do wish it were going slower."

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I actually poked around on regulations.gov looking for a way to comment on the proposal and came up empty. I'm sure they're working super hard to get that fixed.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If you're tired of your monitor and are looking for an excuse to throw it off a balcony:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oqfodY2Lz0

The video is cool and good. The comments though. :suicide:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

"The truth is that when drivers hang out in the left lane, it makes traffic worse and more dangerous for everybody involved"

no
loving
way

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Split speed limits don't help and lol if you speed in Indiana.

I grew up there. gently caress that state.

Full disclosure: I stay out of the left lane except to pass and I'm terrified of unmarked cars.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Sagebrush posted:

"The truth is that when drivers hang out in the left lane, it makes traffic worse and more dangerous for everybody involved"

no
loving
way

As was stated in the video, some people need to be told about this, because apparently they're literally retarded and never did driver's ed.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

PT6A posted:

As was stated in the video, some people need to be told about this, because apparently they're literally retarded and never did driver's ed.

Dude, drive anywhere and you can tell the people either completely forgot or intentionally ignore set rules/regulations for driving. Like 90% of the people that live near me have no clue how to handle right-of-way so it's real fun sitting at a 4 way stop with retards trying (and failing) to go anywhere because their stupid reptile brain completely freezes up. If it's not that, it's old white-hairs that should've had their licenses revoked a decade ago because they're struggling to see through their inch-thick glasses while perched precariously on a stack of phone books so they can see over the dash and white knuckle drive their car in between lanes doing half the speed limit.

For semis I've always thought that widening the highways or interstates and giving them their own dedicated 2 lane stretch blocked off from the rest of traffic would be ideal. Never gonna happen though because money and laziness and stupid excuses from poor government decision makers so they can keep abusing tax money for stupid poo poo like hookers and blow and hiding their homosexual tendencies from the public.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Half the idiots blocking the left lane are doing so because they're absolutely completely oblivious and have no idea they're on autopilot and going the same speed as the person next to them and have been for 20 miles. The other half are spiteful and self righteously doing the limit and you should too so gently caress you. Neither one will ever move out of the way, the former because they're treating driving like a television that shows them a road with cars on it and haven't looked at their mirrors in an hour and don't even realize you exist, the other half because they're glad you're behind them.

I saw some dimwit in a white nissan NVxxx series van (which I'm really beginning to loath the sight of, since they're replacing dodge/chevy/ford fullsize vans as the "inattentive fuckwad contractor in the left lane" vehicle of choice) doing the speed of traffic in the left lane all the way from exit 11 to exit 14 on the masspike today... with a loving marked state cruiser tailgating him. I'm not sure which made me madder, the fact that the cop wasn't citing him for it, or the fact that he was blocking traffic.

I also saw an idiot standing next to his blue sedan sideways in the left lane. There were bits of car and turf scattered everywhere and skidmarks clearly indicating he'd spun out. And no other vehicle (aside from a tractor trailer in the breakdown lane... unsure if it was involved in an accident with him) present. So either he thwacked a tractor trailer that was more than likely just rolling along in the middle lane minding its own business, or he managed to spin out on dry pavement in daylight without another vehicle being involved. Either way, I hope they take his license away.

My commute this morning was GREAT! Why do you ask?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

When I was finishing my road trip last week I encountered a twit who randomly decided the left lane was better. Empty road except for us, I was faster and came up behind him. The instant I flipped my blinker and started to enter the left lane to pass, he glides into the left lane. The most charitable conclusion I could make is he was trying to make room for me to slide by, but after I passed he continued to camp out in the left lane. At one point he decided he wanted to be faster and passed me, on the left. Then dropped back down his previous speed and I passed him again and eventually lost him in the rear view mirror. He never did leave the left lane.

Moral of the story being, driver education in the US is an atrocity and drivers paying attention to what's around them is even worse. Conceptually it's a simple fix: make driver tests actual tests instead of rubber stamps but good loving luck ever getting that ball rolling.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
nearly a 9/11's worth of dead Americans each month but i dont see us drone striking bad drivers

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Has anyone ever actually defended US Divers Ed? Florida DE is hilariously gutless. Multiple choice you don't even need to study for and drive around the block without speeding or doing 10.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

BOOTY-ADE posted:

...for stupid poo poo like hookers and blow...

Wait, that's stupid poo poo? gently caress...

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.
New Australia dash cam compilation is out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFGzKc985yE

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

kastein posted:

My commute this morning was GREAT! Why do you ask?

I live in upstate NY so these same people-you-share-a-road-with occasionally leak onto our roads. I know the whole "[state] has the worst drivers" meme is as old as the car itself and loaded with confirmation bias but seriously, Mass, what the gently caress.

I have never encountered drivers so simultaneously aggressive and bewildered.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
I've never even been it mass but I believe it when people say it has the worst drivers.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Ineptus Mechanicus posted:

I live in upstate NY so these same people-you-share-a-road-with occasionally leak onto our roads. I know the whole "[state] has the worst drivers" meme is as old as the car itself and loaded with confirmation bias but seriously, Mass, what the gently caress.

I have never encountered drivers so simultaneously aggressive and bewildered.

I got stuck behind four different yellow NY plated cars hogging the left lane on i90 tonight. By no means do we have a monopoly on lovely drivers here :v:

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

kastein posted:

I got stuck behind four different yellow NY plated cars hogging the left lane on i90 tonight. By no means do we have a monopoly on lovely drivers here :v:

Can confirm this is a constant problem here too, don't get me started on all the geriatrics puttering their way up to the track to while away their last years playing video poker, but that's small potatoes. I'm talking nearly merging into your door, stopping on on/off ramps, switching from 10 under to MAXIMUM TAILGATE in an instant and treating stop signs/lights as a polite suggestion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Sagebrush posted:

no
loving
way

Yeah it's pretty amusing that a video like this had to be made in the first place, narrated as a huge revelation like one of those CGP Grey videos explaining some sort of an incomprehensible international bureaucracy.

xzzy posted:

Ughhh, regulating poo poo that doesn't need regulated because most trucks limit their speed already.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-transportation-speed-idUSKCN1111RO?feedType=RSS&feedName=domesticNews

Because we all are super enthused about getting even MORE elephant races on the interstates.

Maybe they can mandate a "push to pass" button like indycars get.
Only twelve years behind the EU, good luck with that.
It loving sucks because trucks are limited to 80km/h and act like rolling roadblocks on the highway with >50km/h speed differential