Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
Has anyone else had issues with the most recent FreeNAS 9.10 update and streaming video playback? I had to revert to 201606270534 and everything works fine again. I am using OpenElec and Windows 10 as clients and both had issues maintaining a SMB connection.

I've been working on a couple of projects people might be interested in:

I wrote an OwnCloud guide using FreeNAS and Ubuntu with iSCSI for storage. I've been really happy with it, and using Let's Encrypt for the SSL certificate is awesome because you don't have to deal with self-signed certs. www.neckbeard.org

I wanted another project for my RPI3 and I found http://www.runeaudio.com/ which is a badass headless audio player. My primary goal was AirPlay, but it does Spotify and a number of other streaming services too. An added bonus is that you can mount an SMB share and have it play files from your NAS too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Krailor posted:

If that budget includes new drives it's going to be tough to find something that meets your needs.
Just getting two 3TB drives is going eat up about half of that budget leaving you $150 for an enclosure. At that price you're looking at a Synology DS216se, which I don't think will be able to transcode anything, or kludging something together which is going to be tough for $150. I also doubt that a RPi3 will be beefy enough for transcoding either.

If your budget doesn't include drives then it opens you up to much better options.
If you want something DIY I'd suggest the TS140. This will give you a nice server that you can then install whatever NAS OS you want on.
If you want something smaller or more plug-and-play then you could get the DS216+II. This is a nice 2-bay Synology unit that should be able to handle whatever you throw at it.

:downs: I forgot to consider new drives, so I guess I'll just have to account for that.

I am liking that Synology unit. Space and power are my main concerns and I'd rather not run another full-blown server right now.

I also have a couple other major purchases to make before I can blow money on this, but at least now I have a better idea of what I can expect to spend on something good.

Thanks!

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

mayodreams posted:

Has anyone else had issues with the most recent FreeNAS 9.10 update and streaming video playback? I had to revert to 201606270534 and everything works fine again. I am using OpenElec and Windows 10 as clients and both had issues maintaining a SMB connection.

I'm on 9.10-stable with no pending updates. No probs with streaming to a fire tv/kodi or playing music off it on my desktop.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm looking to add 5 SATA ports to my windows box for a Storage Space, and looking for a SATA card. 5 is a frustrating number though, since almost all the consumer level cards are either 4-port cards, or 8-port cards with 4 channels and a port multiplier hanging off each one.

Reading the spec sheet for the Marvell 88SE9705 (pdf), it looks like the chip actually does support 5 channels; but for some reason as far as I can tell noone sells this.

Is there a real 5-port controller card out there in the $80 range I should be looking at? Or do the FreeNAS warnings about using port multipliers with SATA drives not apply to Microsoft's Storage Spaces implementation?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Chuu posted:

I'm looking to add 5 SATA ports to my windows box for a Storage Space, and looking for a SATA card. 5 is a frustrating number though, since almost all the consumer level cards are either 4-port cards, or 8-port cards with 4 channels and a port multiplier hanging off each one.

Reading the spec sheet for the Marvell 88SE9705 (pdf), it looks like the chip actually does support 5 channels; but for some reason as far as I can tell noone sells this.

Is there a real 5-port controller card out there in the $80 range I should be looking at? Or do the FreeNAS warnings about using port multipliers with SATA drives not apply to Microsoft's Storage Spaces implementation?

Just go on ebay and grab a megaraid 8 port card and some SFF8087 cables

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_sop=15&_nkw=9240-8i&rt=nc&LH_PrefLoc=1&_trksid=p2045573.m1684

There is a $55 ibm branded one on there and you just need a $10 backplate bracket and cables.

bigger thicker loads
Feb 28, 2003

you know you want it
I'm looking to set up an Xpenology VM on my ESXi host. What would be a good SATA card for that? I have 4 drives available, and I'd probably want to add more in the future, so I'm thinking I'd need an 8-port card. Also, would it be better to pass the card through to the Xpenology VM, or let ESXi handle the drives and just show that datastore to Xpenology?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

So I set up the mobile app for my Buffalo NAS to auto backup my phone pictures to it. When I entered the folder info, I had already created "Phone Backup" folder on the NAS, but just wrote in Phone backup on the app and it somehow managed to create a new folder with the small b title. This fucks with Windows. I've been able to get them both open separately before but right now its loving me around. There are even subfolders in one of them but I cant get at it by typing out the address, yet both sit side by side in explorer. Both bring me to the same one when I open it. Anybody know any tricks to get around this?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

codo27 posted:

So I set up the mobile app for my Buffalo NAS to auto backup my phone pictures to it. When I entered the folder info, I had already created "Phone Backup" folder on the NAS, but just wrote in Phone backup on the app and it somehow managed to create a new folder with the small b title. This fucks with Windows. I've been able to get them both open separately before but right now its loving me around. There are even subfolders in one of them but I cant get at it by typing out the address, yet both sit side by side in explorer. Both bring me to the same one when I open it. Anybody know any tricks to get around this?

Can you SSH into the NAS and access the file structure directly? If so, then you can just merge the contents, or rename one folder to "1Phone backup", which should take care of Windows. Alternately, I think you could rename via another non-Windows machine/phone.

Don Lapre posted:

Just go on ebay and grab a megaraid 8 port card and some SFF8087 cables

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_sop=15&_nkw=9240-8i&rt=nc&LH_PrefLoc=1&_trksid=p2045573.m1684

There is a $55 ibm branded one on there and you just need a $10 backplate bracket and cables.

I can tell you from personal experience, don't bother with a Dell HBA. There's a very complicated sequence of firmware upgrading/flashing/downgrading/flashing to get it into IT mode without loving it up. There's a day of my life that I'll never get back.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord
Yeah, there's legit LSI HBAs on Amazon for like $60 that ke all that mess outta the picture. I got a couple 9200-8e cards that have worked swimmingly with FreeNAS and my sa120s.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

My 2TB drive is acting weirdly and I want to replace it. I was already set on a Seagate Archive 8TB drive, since I'm going to use it pretty much entirely the way those shingled drives are intended (dump media and backups on it and then in all likelihood never delete anything).

However, since the last time I looked several new affordable 8TB options have showed up (also a few 10TB ones but they're still a bit expensive). They don't seem to use shingled technology, or at least the reviews don't seem to mention as such. The ones under 400€ are:

the aforementioned Seagate Archive - 244€
Seagate Desktop - 290€
WD Red - 310€
Seagate NAS - 314€

Besides than the improved long-term write performance, are there any reasons why I should consider paying the 25-30% extra for one of the non-shingled drives?

Shachi
Nov 1, 2004

I'm a simple man. I like pretty, dark-haired women and breakfast food.
I had previously asked advice from you guys about setting up a storage archive. I had originally settled on the Synology DS1815 which is an 8 bay NAS but I'm starting to think a fairly basic DAS might be a better solution.

Firstly I don't want to put the NAS on the network. It will only be interfaced through a single computer at this time. I'd be ok with the Synology if I could interface with it through USB. Probably the dumbest question I can conceive of at this time is, can I interface with it through a secondary NIC to keep it off the network?

My other concern by utitlizing a DAS is the exposure to ransomware. Thoughts here?

I need something with at least 8 bays that is hotswappable.

Anyone have experience with SansDigital enclosures?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
As long as you password protect the synology and keep it updated (which it can do on its own) I really wouldn't worry about ransomware. You can create accounts and only give read access to specific data, it can even make shadow copies internally in case something happens not to mention back up to the cloud.

Why do you want it off your network?

Shachi
Nov 1, 2004

I'm a simple man. I like pretty, dark-haired women and breakfast food.

Don Lapre posted:

As long as you password protect the synology and keep it updated (which it can do on its own) I really wouldn't worry about ransomware. You can create accounts and only give read access to specific data, it can even make shadow copies internally in case something happens not to mention back up to the cloud.

Why do you want it off your network?

Because it is effectively evidence storage for digital forensic exams. I liked the Synology in terms of it offering forensically sound logging etc. but I'm having trouble of conceiving of how to interface with it without putting it on the city wide network. If I plug it in the wall it's going to route through the entire network and be slow as poo poo...I'm guessing. I could just connect it via switch to avoid all that correct? The other though I had was getting a secondary NIC.

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender

Shachi posted:

Because it is effectively evidence storage for digital forensic exams. I liked the Synology in terms of it offering forensically sound logging etc. but I'm having trouble of conceiving of how to interface with it without putting it on the city wide network. If I plug it in the wall it's going to route through the entire network and be slow as poo poo...I'm guessing. I could just connect it via switch to avoid all that correct? The other though I had was getting a secondary NIC.

You can connect to a Synology unit by just plugging a network cable directly between the computer and NAS. You'll have to manually set the IP on each side to be in the same network, preferably in a different range than what your normal network uses.

EX - if the IP your computer gets from the city network is 192.X.X.X then you should manually set the IP of your secondary NIC and the Synology to something in the 10.X.X.X range

Is this just going to be hooked up to one computer or will it be moving around between a bunch of different ones? If it's just going to be used on 1 computer then you might want to take a look at the Q-NAP TS-831X. It costs the same as the Synology you're looking at but includes support for 10gbe. If the computer you're going to pair it with has a spare PCIe x8 slot then you can get a cheap 10gbe add-in card and a direct attach cable and connect to your storage at 10gbe.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Krailor posted:

You can connect to a Synology unit by just plugging a network cable directly between the computer and NAS. You'll have to manually set the IP on each side to be in the same network, preferably in a different range than what your normal network uses.

EX - if the IP your computer gets from the city network is 192.X.X.X then you should manually set the IP of your secondary NIC and the Synology to something in the 10.X.X.X range

Is this just going to be hooked up to one computer or will it be moving around between a bunch of different ones? If it's just going to be used on 1 computer then you might want to take a look at the Q-NAP TS-831X. It costs the same as the Synology you're looking at but includes support for 10gbe. If the computer you're going to pair it with has a spare PCIe x8 slot then you can get a cheap 10gbe add-in card and a direct attach cable and connect to your storage at 10gbe.

You could also get a NAS type unit that works over USB3.0, which should be plenty for a 1-1 usage, and then you don't have to fret about networking.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
Has anyone used one of the mediabridge NAS's in conjunction with a Synology? I'm running low on backup space with my external USB's and I can't really think of a better backup solution.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

NihilCredo posted:

My 2TB drive is acting weirdly and I want to replace it. I was already set on a Seagate Archive 8TB drive, since I'm going to use it pretty much entirely the way those shingled drives are intended (dump media and backups on it and then in all likelihood never delete anything).

However, since the last time I looked several new affordable 8TB options have showed up (also a few 10TB ones but they're still a bit expensive). They don't seem to use shingled technology, or at least the reviews don't seem to mention as such. The ones under 400€ are:

the aforementioned Seagate Archive - 244€
Seagate Desktop - 290€
WD Red - 310€
Seagate NAS - 314€

Besides than the improved long-term write performance, are there any reasons why I should consider paying the 25-30% extra for one of the non-shingled drives?

Assuming you fit the shingled use-case, not really. They are never the fastest drives on writes and they are definitely Very Not Good for random writes but if what you are after is bulk storage that is seldom rewritten and won't attain significant fragmentation then they're fine.

You might be able to get a bit cheaper by using a pair of 6 TB desktop drives, dunno if that works for you. I just snagged a 6 TB Toshiba X300 7200rpm for $175 last weekend. Obviously your prices will be somewhat higher.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Sep 2, 2016

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
What case would be good for a NAS build that uses an EEB-style motherboard?

Kreez
Oct 18, 2003

I've been happily using UnRaid on an old Atom 330 for 7-8 years now. It serves videos to my XMBC box (running on much newer hardware in a NUC) over a wired LAN, and runs Deluge through the UnRAID "docker" feature, seeding 300 or so torrents right now.

I recently updated my XBMC to the latest version so I could use the MLB.tv add-on, and since then I've been having what seem to be network issues. Videos will just randomly stop playing, usually just closing instantly, sometimes freezing XBMC for 30 seconds before closing to the menu. I used to get videos stopping and buffering, but this somewhat went away when I increased the cache in XBMC.

All these issues go away if I disable Deluge.

Is it possible that the old Atom just can't keep up with both torrenting and serving HD video at the same time? I'd love for the solution to be to throw new hardware at it, but I don't want to do that if it is more likely some bug in xbmc, unraid's docker feature, or something.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Kreez posted:

I've been happily using UnRaid on an old Atom 330 for 7-8 years now. It serves videos to my XMBC box (running on much newer hardware in a NUC) over a wired LAN, and runs Deluge through the UnRAID "docker" feature, seeding 300 or so torrents right now.

I recently updated my XBMC to the latest version so I could use the MLB.tv add-on, and since then I've been having what seem to be network issues. Videos will just randomly stop playing, usually just closing instantly, sometimes freezing XBMC for 30 seconds before closing to the menu. I used to get videos stopping and buffering, but this somewhat went away when I increased the cache in XBMC.

Is it possible that the old Atom just can't keep up with both torrenting and serving HD video at the same time? I'd love for the solution to be to throw new hardware at it, but I don't want to do that if it is more likely some bug in xbmc, unraid's docker feature, or something.

I'm surprised an Atom from 7 years ago has been able to run Unraid. It's probably not so much Deluge that is taxing it, but the parity calculations Unraid has to do to write to disk. You could test this by having Deluge off, and copying a lot of data onto your Unraid array, and then see if you see the same issues. You could even do the copies internally from one drive to another to rule out network usage.

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
Taco Defender

Kreez posted:

If the data Deluge is reading/writing is on the same drive as the video you're trying to watch it could be that your system is having a hard time keeping up with all of the I/O requests to that drive which is preventing Kodi (you're actually using Kodi, right?) from being able to stream the video fast enough to show.

Or it could be a sign that the storage ports on your MB are failing and the SATA interface is being reset in the background causing the current connections to be closed.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
I'm having a really weird issue with my synology. Just started.

I have a folder called "Games" on it. When I click on it in Windows, it just freezes. It's under my Z drive.

If I bring it up under as a network drive, it works fine \\192.168.1.X\Network Drive\Games

It also works fine if I rename it to Games2 or whatever. I can also get to it in MS-DOS fine. I'm not sure if this is a windows issue or a NAS issue. All the other folders are fine. I'm thinking it's a windows issue, but I have never seen something like this. Rebooting didn't help

TLG James fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Sep 2, 2016

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

TLG James posted:

I'm having a really weird issue with my synology. Just started.

I have a folder called "Games" on it. When I click on it in Windows, it just freezes. It's under my Z drive.

If I bring it up under as a network drive, it works fine \\192.168.1.X\Network Drive\Games

It also works fine if I rename it to Games2 or whatever. I can also get to it in MS-DOS fine. I'm not sure if this is a windows issue or a NAS issue. All the other folders are fine. I'm thinking it's a windows issue, but I have never seen something like this. Rebooting didn't help

Does the same thing happen from another PC? How big is the share? Have you tried deleting the mount and recreating it? Have you tried deleting the thumbs.db?

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

Wizard of the Deep posted:

Does the same thing happen from another PC? How big is the share? Have you tried deleting the mount and recreating it? Have you tried deleting the thumbs.db?

Remade the mount with the same effect. I don't see a thumbs.db.

It does work from another computer, so I'm sure it's a windows issue now...dammit.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
Thumbs.db is a hidden file. As you can probably guess by the name, it's where the file system stores the thumbnails it automatically generates for files in the directory.

Are there any errors in the event logs?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I just had a very annoying week with being unable to change files on my WD My Cloud PR4100. Let me save you the hassle. If you use either ssh or sftp to your MyCloud, the files will be written with different permissions than those used in the web interface.

By default, the MyCloud creates files owned by admin in group share. By default, the ssh and sftp logins create files owned by root, group root. Admin can't change files owned by root. This can cause problems if, say, you've transferred a massive tarball over to the MyCloud and then untarred it. All those new files and directories can be read but not changed by remote machines.

So, if you're using ssh and sftp, be sure to chown admin everything and chgroup share everything. Then your life will be smooth and serene. Probably.

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
For the past few years I've just been using your typical external hard drives to store all of my movies and music on, but I've recently begun looking at getting a NAS to share everything across my flat.

I don't have any grand requirements for capacity - 2 or 4 TB would probably be more than enough - and I don't need anything too meaty or expensive either. I've been looking primarily at the WD My Cloud line, but I'm not sure if that'll suit my requirements.

I currently have a TV with a PS4 and a Chromecast hooked up to it. I'm also using Plex to stream movies stored on my laptop to my PS4. I'd like to be able to play whatever videos I have stored on whatever device I get easily on my laptop and on my TV, and play music across both as well. If I'm able to download (not stream) music to my Android phone that would be an added bonus.

Does anybody have any suggestions or what to get, or how to get this set up? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Captain_Person posted:

For the past few years I've just been using your typical external hard drives to store all of my movies and music on, but I've recently begun looking at getting a NAS to share everything across my flat.

I don't have any grand requirements for capacity - 2 or 4 TB would probably be more than enough - and I don't need anything too meaty or expensive either. I've been looking primarily at the WD My Cloud line, but I'm not sure if that'll suit my requirements.

I currently have a TV with a PS4 and a Chromecast hooked up to it. I'm also using Plex to stream movies stored on my laptop to my PS4. I'd like to be able to play whatever videos I have stored on whatever device I get easily on my laptop and on my TV, and play music across both as well. If I'm able to download (not stream) music to my Android phone that would be an added bonus.

Does anybody have any suggestions or what to get, or how to get this set up? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You could get an AM1 combo (5350 + mobo) from Microcenter for $40 if you have one nearby. Slightly more expensive than a network-enabled HDD unit up-front (you're looking at around $100 build-cost minus any HDDs) but you can put multiple HDDs in it and also possibly run the Plex server or other media servers on it, depending on your horsepower needs. Pulls about 35W under load.

The Samba share is the default Windows fileshare and it's well-supported in Linux so that's a pretty easy target. AM1 has plenty of CPU power to handle that, and also has AES acceleration. The Asus AM1M-A can support ECC RAM which is nice for a fileserver, but slightly more expensive.

The downside of AM1 is the limited number of SATA ports, but you can just string your USB drives off it as more Samba shares (NTFS is also well-supported through the NTFS-3G package). If you need more than 2 internal drives and you don't have a SATA/SAS expansion card sitting around, I think it starts being worth just jumping to a D2500 board or Xeon instead.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Sep 5, 2016

Kreez
Oct 18, 2003

Krailor posted:

If the data Deluge is reading/writing is on the same drive as the video you're trying to watch it could be that your system is having a hard time keeping up with all of the I/O requests to that drive which is preventing Kodi (you're actually using Kodi, right?) from being able to stream the video fast enough to show.

Or it could be a sign that the storage ports on your MB are failing and the SATA interface is being reset in the background causing the current connections to be closed.

Skandranon posted:

I'm surprised an Atom from 7 years ago has been able to run Unraid. It's probably not so much Deluge that is taxing it, but the parity calculations Unraid has to do to write to disk. You could test this by having Deluge off, and copying a lot of data onto your Unraid array, and then see if you see the same issues. You could even do the copies internally from one drive to another to rule out network usage.

I remembered I have an old motherboard + Q9300 + 4GB lying around, so I swapped the parts in. No issues all night streaming video with docker enabled. Looks like it just needed more hardware than an old Atom system.

Any recommendation on hardware to replace this space heater with at some point? Minimum 6 SATA ports, and at least as much power as a Q9300 I guess?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Captain_Person posted:

The Mycloud runs Plex natively, so you can stream to whatever you want. It also gives you full access to the file system, both from your OS and through your browser, so it's trivial to copy files up and down.

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?

Arsenic Lupin posted:

The Mycloud runs Plex natively, so you can stream to whatever you want. It also gives you full access to the file system, both from your OS and through your browser, so it's trivial to copy files up and down.

Awesome, thanks! That makes things significantly easier.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Paul MaudDib posted:

Assuming you fit the shingled use-case, not really. They are never the fastest drives on writes and they are definitely Very Not Good for random writes but if what you are after is bulk storage that is seldom rewritten and won't attain significant fragmentation then they're fine.

You might be able to get a bit cheaper by using a pair of 6 TB desktop drives, dunno if that works for you. I just snagged a 6 TB Toshiba X300 7200rpm for $175 last weekend. Obviously your prices will be somewhat higher.

Thanks, I went ahead and snagged the Archive drive.

I looked at 6TB drives but they're universally more expensive per TB than 8TB ones, and I've got only two 3.5" bays anyway (ITX build).

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
I'm using two 8tb archive drives for media storage and have no complaints.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Moey posted:

I'm using two 8tb archive drives for media storage and have no complaints.

Using them in RAID 1, or JBOD?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Seperate drives with a robocopy script backing up primary to backup. That seems to be the best use case for me currently.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Moey posted:

Seperate drives with a robocopy script backing up primary to backup. That seems to be the best use case for me currently.

I'm very interested in the singled drives because of the dirt-cheap cost per GB, but I've seen lots of nebulous warnings not to use them in arrays, even RAID 1s. I haven't read any concrete reasons why other than their abysmal random write performance, and it's got me wondering if using a modern CoW filesystem on them in a RAID Z2 or something might actually being acceptable.

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
Taco Defender

Twerk from Home posted:

I'm very interested in the singled drives because of the dirt-cheap cost per GB, but I've seen lots of nebulous warnings not to use them in arrays, even RAID 1s. I haven't read any concrete reasons why other than their abysmal random write performance, and it's got me wondering if using a modern CoW filesystem on them in a RAID Z2 or something might actually being acceptable.

It's more about the use case of the data you're storing on them. They aren't great for general purpose storage for data that is constantly being updated/deleted. However, for backups and media storage where you write the data once and then just read it and never really update it they work great.

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002
My backup solution for my 8TB NAS is 2 8TB WD Storage drives. Keep one at home, rsync to it periodically, take it to the office every few weeks and swap it out with the one I keep there.

And as a bonus, I have my whole music and movie collection at work. :smug:

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

Krailor posted:

It's more about the use case of the data you're storing on them. They aren't great for general purpose storage for data that is constantly being updated/deleted. However, for backups and media storage where you write the data once and then just read it and never really update it they work great.

So if you're using your NAS to download to and to store your media and it's being watched by up to 3 devices at the same time, these storage devices are fine? I only delete stuff when I get bear to running out if space and everyone had watched it

I'm running xpenology in SHR1 with 3x 4TB Reds. Are these archive drives an alternative for my usage or will there be performance problems?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
So my Synology DS-214 is starting to age a bit, and I'm looking to expand past its storage capabilities.

Is there a FreeNAS for Dummies somewhere that I can use as a guide for speccing out a new system?