Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Oenis posted:

Yeah you can be smug about it, but maybe this means a little more guidance, however subtle, within the game would help?
I went with the arena first, and ground out some battles, then went back and noticed the horribly clunky unlock system. Why do I have to interact with hundreds of unlabeled globes and chalices? What's wrong with a shop interface, or several? So you can see at a glance what options you have for upgrading.

Other random things: It's spelled thief, not theif.
The bazaar has 2 potion shopkeepers that sell the same stuff.
The trade house could also be much tidier. Group the merchants by what they're selling, signpost what they'll have. Having them run around at ridiculous speeds is just dumb. You don't need an extra merchant for every single crafting ingredient. I don't want to spend my precious time hunting down the meeps who sell mithril gear in an anthill.
100% physical resistance enemies are really not fun. Especially when you can't even flee from those battles. Let me at least do chip damage.
This was as far as I was willing to put up with, hope you take some of that criticism and continue to improve your game, so that people besides yourself will be able to enjoy it.
The merchants in the bazaar and trade house are randomize every time you go there. You just happened to get two potion guys at once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

dis astranagant posted:

Got a run going and it's boring as hell. My mages regen more mp than they can spend, my fighter and thief both poo poo out 9999s like crazy (the fighter to all enemies, the thief not so much).
9999 is not maximum damage. You will never beat the last boss doing that, you need to find higher level powers that uncap your damage.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Rutibex posted:

9999 is not maximum damage. You will never beat the last boss doing that, you need to find higher level powers that uncap your damage.

I'm never going to see the last boss because your game is poo poo and I deleted it. By "got a run going" I meant survived the first couple of fights and got bored 2 or 3 floors later because there was nothing to do but play rocket tag.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Aug 24, 2016

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Rutibex posted:

When people give you feedback on your game, you should be more polite in responding to that feedback. Saying "you're wrong" when they tell you something is not smart, and that's basically what you just did.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

When people give you feedback on your game, you should be more polite in responding to that feedback. Saying "you're wrong" when they tell you something is not smart, and that's basically what you just did.

I wasnt really looking for ideas on how to change the game. I'm basically making it for myself to play, so I don't really care if other people don't like the way I do it :shrug:

I just posted it because I figured other people might have some fun too.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Please don't feed the rutibex. He is well known in the board games thread for being... unreasonable.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
I bought Conquest of Elysium and had a lot of fun in my first game, although I had the silliest end possible.

I was playing as the Enchanter and, having already wiped out the enemy Necromancer and Druid, was gearing up for a final assault on the Senator's home city.

High-level enchanters can create portals that let them move across the map instantly, and I had just built a pair to beam troops from my home base to an area just outside the Senator's home, preparing for a final attack. I had a massive army of archers, catapults and golems, including a massive oak golem made from the remains of the Druid's sacred forest after I had defeated him.

And just as I sent the entirety of my forces through the portal, when I was just one turn away from sending my golem army to smash down the last enemy city... A kraken waltzed into my empty, undefended home base and captured it. Game over, I lose.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

I bought Conquest of Elysium and had a lot of fun in my first game, although I had the silliest end possible.

I was playing as the Enchanter and, having already wiped out the enemy Necromancer and Druid, was gearing up for a final assault on the Senator's home city.

High-level enchanters can create portals that let them move across the map instantly, and I had just built a pair to beam troops from my home base to an area just outside the Senator's home, preparing for a final attack. I had a massive army of archers, catapults and golems, including a massive oak golem made from the remains of the Druid's sacred forest after I had defeated him.

And just as I sent the entirety of my forces through the portal, when I was just one turn away from sending my golem army to smash down the last enemy city... A kraken waltzed into my empty, undefended home base and captured it. Game over, I lose.

Always leave a few archers.

Also, you didn't hold any other recruitment areas?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Always leave a few archers.

Also, you didn't hold any other recruitment areas?

The only ones I found all game were my own starting base and the Necromancer's., and I didn't leave anybody to man that one.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

You guys need to download the Homeland Security mod that creates powerfulish immobile guardians in all faction capitals/home bases.

The guardians are strong enough to stand up to random deer and snakes and stymie poorly put together early-game rushes. The AI usually lasts into mid-game and everything gets all out ridiculous since instead of it being down to a forever-pregnant dwarf queen vs a crazy hobbit necromancer bureaucrat vs a astral horror summoning cultist it's a forever-pregnant dwarf queen vs a crazy hobbit necromancer bureaucrat vs a astral horror summoning cultist vs a bunch of not-catholics doomsday preppers vs a horde of irate barbians lead by a bunch of buff dudes vs an uppity senator and his entourage of prissy legionaries vs a pissed off troll king and his nagging mother.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
Grabbed that, thanks!

Is there ever much reason to bother exploring the alternate dimensions?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I'm still on the fence about this game, can somebody like, list all the factions with a quick description?

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Some factions rely on early-game rushing more than others, though, because the longer the enemy has to power up the worse things go for them. Baron and Senator debatably so, but the barbarians have to force the issue because they straight-up cannot stand up to any other faction once their respective ball really gets rolling.

The other planes are more or less a luxury to play around with if you have the time/resources to handle them, but if you're one of the factions with easy access to them, like the necromancer/warlock/demonologist, grabbing a city in another plane provides a nearly unassailable base. It's more useful for multiplayer than single-player because the AI will never really bother.

E: Will work on a quick and dirty faction list, but for now you can check out the official manual here.

Inadequately fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Aug 25, 2016

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Inadequately posted:

Some factions rely on early-game rushing more than others, though, because the longer the enemy has to power up the worse things go for them. Baron and Senator debatably so, but the barbarians have to force the issue because they straight-up cannot stand up to any other faction once their respective ball really gets rolling.

The other planes are more or less a luxury to play around with if you have the time/resources to handle them, but if you're one of the factions with easy access to them, like the necromancer/warlock/demonologist, grabbing a city in another plane provides a nearly unassailable base. It's more useful for multiplayer than single-player because the AI will never really bother.

Yeah I was worried barbs would be hosed by the mod, but when I did a test game as the barbs I managed to amass enough fightingmans to overwhelm most bases defending only by the guardians.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012

Zereth posted:

I'm still on the fence about this game, can somebody like, list all the factions with a quick description?

Quick and dirty class list, not meant to be especially in-depth, but here you go:

Quick and dirty faction list:

- Baron: Medieval English-styled warlord. Gets the largest variety of troops to recruit from bases and a conscripted army every year, and can upgrade towns and farms for more income and better defense.

- Necromancer: your classic fantasy lich-King. Raises the dead, summons ghost armies, turns into a lich, all that jazz. Has the largest bag of tricks - anything that a random fantasy necromancer of your choice can do, there's a good chance he has a reasonable approximation of it.

- Demonologist: summons demons, pretty straightforward. Collects sacrifices from towns and cities, can sacrifice larger/lesser amounts for summoning rituals. The high-risk/high-reward faction - demons are the most powerful summons, but have the highest chance of being unruly when summoned.

- Witch: based loosely on old stories about witches. Success depends largely on spellcasters, who can toss around poison clouds, mass-charm enemy armies or turn them all into pigs. Summons are an eclectic grab-bag of swamp monsters, tentacle beasts and mythological creatures.

- High Priestess: based on biblical stories about man-eating giants and Baal-worshippers. Summons desert creatures and biblical giants, and can eventually summon their God to their aid. Have a special mass sacrifice that allows them to eat cities/towns, permanently downgrading them in exchange for a powerful summoned army.

- Bakemono: A monster faction based on Japanese youkai. Flavor aside, they're pretty much similar to the other sacrifice/summon based factions. Can upgrade mines into mountain strongholds.

- Barbarians: Standard barbarian race, physically strong and monstrously good at melee, but weak to magic and with few ranged options. Troops are plentiful and cheap to recruit, and their shamans can collect energy from forests to summon their ancestors as ghost armies.

- Senator: Styled around would-be emperors from Ancient Rome. They have more gold and trade income than any other factions, and more freelance mages offering their services. Can coronate themselves and become emperor if capital is claimed, and can then become God-emperor at ancient temples. Can also become dark emperor on fallen capital, instead.

- Pale ones: Morlocks from underground realm. Standard troops are plentiful but weak, but can recruit giant pale one kings on occasion. Oracles can summon cave animals with gems.

- Druid: Classic nature-defending fantasy Druid. Undisputed master of forest control - can summon and mind control animals, summon massive plant guardians and spawn free-roaming animal and ent guardians. However long-term success depends entirely on ancient forests, and animal armies are bad at taking cities.

- Burgmeister: Pretty much hobbits. Troops are plentiful but weak and only get two moves per turn, as opposed to the standard three. Can upgrade farms to grow magical weed to power their hobbit Druids, and hobbit crafters can turn gems into robot soldiers and dragons.

- Warlock: Faction of elemental mages. Each warlock is attuned to one of the four elements, and requires specific gems attuned to that element. They summon elemental giants, elemental spirits and elemental lords. Element element element.

- Priest King: Aztec-based faction. Troops are cheap but bad at combat due to their crappy weapons. Can recruit different mages which have different summons based on what type of Mage they are, and can recruit slaves at no cost, which are weak but can be obtained in huge amounts and then buffed via priest King blessings.

- Troll King: Faction of goblins/trolls/fairytale giants. Troll King himself is a gargantuan troll capable of smashing towns by himself (but cities might give him trouble). Can claim ancient forests as citadels, and troll/goblin shamans can summon dragons and turn forests into troll forests, which spawn free-roaming carrion creatures whenever anything dies in them.

- Enchanter: One of the more unique factions, the Enchanter is a mage capable of bringing almost anything to life as a magical construct. Can summon living swords, bows and ballistas, and can turn forests and mines into massive wooden/metal golems. However, golems are costly to make and take a long time to build, can't be healed outside of exceptional circumstances, and constructing one will actually use up the resource tile it's made from, so creating the more powerful metal golem means giving up that mine's resources permanently.

- High Cultist: Lovecraft-inspired mad cultist who consorts with beings from the void. Another sacrifice-based faction, can summon armies of deep ones when near/in the sea and summon various cosmic horrors. Higher-level spells can summon uncontrollable horrors anywhere on the map, including right in your enemies' cities.

- Dwarf Queen: The dwarven incarnation of the Zerg/other insectoid race of your choice. Dwarf queens birth standard dwarves every month, which can then be upgraded with gold/gems/iron. Dwarves are magic resistant, can claim mountain bases as citadels, and get improved gold/iron income from them, but won't stand up to other factions without significant upgrading and promotion. The most defensive and customizable faction, but also the slowest and most micromanagement-heavy.

- Voice of El: A Catholic-based faction. Can convert settlements to their religion and earn income from them even if someone else conquers them. Can start the inquisition and crusade, which spawns two automated but powerful armies who throw themselves at your enemies. Collects holy relics from cities and religious sites which can be used to increase the power of your blessings and summon free-roaming Angels and flagellants to your cause at random. Breaking more seals increases angel quality, but breaking all seven triggers biblical apocalypse. Has a unique mechanic where all Voice of El players on the same map share the same benefits.

- Illusionists: Stage-magician styled mages. Cast confusion and mind-affecting spells en masse, and can purchase magic mirrors and seal spells and illusionary animals inside them, which will automatically cast/deploy when mirrors are deployed in battle. Illusion creatures are fragile but hard to hit accurately. At higher levels, can create illusion duplicates and can transport themselves and entire armies through mirror portals, granting them near unparalleled mobility.

- Markgraf: A hobbit/necromancer hybrid. Can recruit hobbit troops and necromantic rituals are cheaper than the necromancer, but most of the higher-tier rituals are off-limits in exchange.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Im still playing witch games cause I dig their style. You can hold a fort against some pretty mean baddies with just like 6 archers and a witch. Does anyone know if the chance a summon will join you has anything to do with the caster's skill or is it just based on how much fungus you sacrifice? I swear some games I can summon an army with an 80% success rate just on the normal sacrifice setting but others it seems like even at 150 sacrifice everything turns on me.

e: So far I think the most ignoble way to lose is to have your first major summon come as a hostile gelatinous cube that sucks all your dudes up and sits in an empty field digesting them

Isaac fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Aug 25, 2016

Bert of the Forest
Apr 27, 2013

Shucks folks, I'm speechless. Hawf Hawf Hawf!
Popping in real quick to thank those who have helped us with the We Need to Go Deeper beta so far. We've been tweaking and adding bits and bobs like crazy lately thanks to all the specific feedback. The steady trickle of testers I got from this thread was invaluable, so consider this to be me jiggling the faucet a bit by posting a quick reminder that I'm still accepting testers. Specifically, anyone who is capable of rounding up a full team of 4 to test will be great since I just pushed a new update that re-balances the way difficulty scales with 3-4 person teams! Also, you can get hypothermia now and who doesn't want that? PM me with your Steam profile if you'd like to jump in and I'll hook up some more folks with Steam keys.

In other less shilly news - I recently started playing Tales of Maj-Eyal after hearing about it for so long, and it sitting in my library waiting to be played, and I gotta admit, it's a daunting game to get into. Anyone have any suggestions for a starting player? The game feels sort of directionless, is that intended? Every session for me has ended kind of blandly, with me just aimlessly wandering until I get mauled by a group of baddies. I feel like I'd have more success if I knew what I was supposed to be doing?

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
There's a few guides on the Tome wiki for zone orders, but here's a vague but relatively spoiler-free one:

T1 dungeons: Trollmire, Norgos Lair, Ruins of Kor'pul, Heart of the Gloom, Scintillating Caverns, Rhaloren Camp. These are more or less listed in order of difficulty, but you're free to take them on in any order you like, and you'll want to complete them all on most runs.

T2 dungeons: Old Forest, The Maze, Sandworm Lair, Daikara. Again, it's easiest to complete these more or less in this order, and you usually want to complete all of them.

By now you should be strong enough to complete the various miscellaneous minidungeons and quests scattered around the world. Poke around, talk to everyone and once you're satisfied, enter Dreadfell.

Dreadfell is more or less the start of the 'main quest' of Tome. Once you complete it, it's usually clear where you need to go and what you need to do, and from there it's a straight shot to the end of the game.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
I'm kind of mad at the CoE AI right now. I attacked a city that had some sort of magical wall of fire right outside the gate with a huge witchy army of ancient hydras and whatnot.

When there were about 3 archers left, the witch who was leading the whole army decided that she really needed to move forward to keep casting her screen-ranged spells.
She stood in the wall of magical fire and burned to death while repeatedly turning the 3 living defenders into pigs.

It's not a game over (I still won the battle, even!), but I did just lose the only lady in my army capable of summoning actual good units.

I guess I should've splurged on that immortality ritual earlier.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Very cool but I'll wait until the game is finished to buy it. Cheers goon dev :toot:

Intentional?

Bert of the Forest
Apr 27, 2013

Inadequately posted:

There's a few guides on the Tome wiki for zone orders, but here's a vague but relatively spoiler-free one:

T1 dungeons: Trollmire, Norgos Lair, Ruins of Kor'pul, Heart of the Gloom, Scintillating Caverns, Rhaloren Camp. These are more or less listed in order of difficulty, but you're free to take them on in any order you like, and you'll want to complete them all on most runs.

T2 dungeons: Old Forest, The Maze, Sandworm Lair, Daikara. Again, it's easiest to complete these more or less in this order, and you usually want to complete all of them.

By now you should be strong enough to complete the various miscellaneous minidungeons and quests scattered around the world. Poke around, talk to everyone and once you're satisfied, enter Dreadfell.

Dreadfell is more or less the start of the 'main quest' of Tome. Once you complete it, it's usually clear where you need to go and what you need to do, and from there it's a straight shot to the end of the game.

O_O That's uh.. quite the progression system! Guess I'll have to do some Wiki diving before I properly go spelunking into Tome again. Sounds like it's a much bigger game than I would have thought despite the press for it touting exactly that. Kudos to those devs for creating so much! Thanks for the quick tip.

What in tarnation.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
It's way bigger than he even lets on and there's tons of side stuff and unlockables and owlbears oh my.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

I'm kind of mad at the CoE AI right now. I attacked a city that had some sort of magical wall of fire right outside the gate with a huge witchy army of ancient hydras and whatnot.

When there were about 3 archers left, the witch who was leading the whole army decided that she really needed to move forward to keep casting her screen-ranged spells.
She stood in the wall of magical fire and burned to death while repeatedly turning the 3 living defenders into pigs.

It's not a game over (I still won the battle, even!), but I did just lose the only lady in my army capable of summoning actual good units.

Yeah CoE suffers from not being able to script your dudes the way you can in DoM. Always assume you're gonna lose your awesome commander, always have plans to deal with that, always have backup commanders.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Inadequately posted:

- Baron: Medieval English-styled warlord. Gets the largest variety of troops to recruit from bases and a conscripted army every year, and can upgrade towns and farms for more income and better defense.

I don't think you can upgrade farms? You can get levies for them, but you can only turn hamlets into motte & baileys, as far as I can tell.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

That's a Warlock fire ritual, if you were curious. It's a very strong effect!

I've been playing each game as the last standing AI player from the last one; I beat Warlocks with El, then beat Baron with Warlocks, and now I'm fighting some kind of demon-summoning dudes, I guess. (Among others.) Lets me go, "oh, so that's how they got that horribly OP unit! So that's how that works!" I recommend it.

Also playing with the Homeland Security mod that NN recommended, which so far seems to have prevented turn 2 AI suicides - thanks for that!

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012

PleasingFungus posted:

I don't think you can upgrade farms? You can get levies for them, but you can only turn hamlets into motte & baileys, as far as I can tell.

Yeah the wording was a bit vague, I was counting levying them as an upgrade.

Good luck with the demon summoners, if they don't self-destruct they're one of the strongest factions in the game.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

So playing a troll king in the early age, the one with lots of animals and it's just whack a mole, I can't seem to get anywhere, every forest or swamp that I take just gets taken back later by some deer or wolves or ants or whatever. Am I missing something obvious?

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Wild animals will spawn from unclaimed ancient forests and then wander around. You have to capture the ancient forest and hold it to make them stop spawning, then slowly eliminate the wandering animals. If there's a powerful army you can't handle quite yet, it's best to have a small group patrol an area, claiming back stolen territory. This goes for all the forest-based factions, but especially the Troll King, because ancient forests also count as citadels for them. A couple of the non-forest based factions also have units specifically for claiming ancient forests, but the rest have to settle for burning them down with fire mages.

Later on, your troll and goblin shamans can upgrade forests into troll forests/ancient troll forests. This causes them to spit out free-roaming carrion beasts/stalkers when anything dies in them, which will wander around fighting and claiming territory for you.

The dark ages can be pretty challenging even for forest-based classes. Ancient forests are a dime a dozen, and often very heavily guarded.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Bert of the Forest posted:

In other less shilly news - I recently started playing Tales of Maj-Eyal after hearing about it for so long, and it sitting in my library waiting to be played, and I gotta admit, it's a daunting game to get into. Anyone have any suggestions for a starting player? The game feels sort of directionless, is that intended? Every session for me has ended kind of blandly, with me just aimlessly wandering until I get mauled by a group of baddies. I feel like I'd have more success if I knew what I was supposed to be doing?

Cheat to unlock all the classes / races / difficulty modes, the achievements for a lot of them are random and tedious and the beginning classes are deliberately simplified for new players and super boring as a result.

ToME is a descendant of Angband so you should approach it like a turn-based Diablo -- you want to get loot and level up in whatever zone offers the best risk / reward ratio. You can't floorscum like in classic Angband, though, hence the incredibly detailed zone orders so you can hoover up every last bit of loot and XP.

+HP gear is more important than anything else for the first and second tier dungeons and remains pretty good into the third tier, although you'll want to start transitioning towards resistances and immunities around that point. Learn where all the stores are, check them all, buy as much of this as you can wear. A good lantern (+4 or +5 light radius, ideally also with +HP or +healing% on it) is also very helpful for some of the early dungeons, and you'll also want to upgrade your infusions and runes with ones that scale with your main stat (except Wild, where it doesn't matter) and have the lowest possible cooldown. (Wiki can help you there.)

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Unimpressed posted:

So playing a troll king in the early age, the one with lots of animals and it's just whack a mole, I can't seem to get anywhere, every forest or swamp that I take just gets taken back later by some deer or wolves or ants or whatever. Am I missing something obvious?

Has your mum turned up yet?

ashnjack
Jun 8, 2010

FUCK FLOWERS. JUST...FUCK 'EM.

Geokinesis posted:

I love that there is a game where saying this isn't an insult.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Geokinesis posted:

Yeah, she has. She's helping, but I'm basically whacking twice as many moles...

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.

Unimpressed posted:

Yeah, she has. She's helping, but I'm basically whacking twice as many moles...

If you put up a bunch of Troll Woods, the carrion beasts wandering around will whack a lot of the moles for you. They're not smart enough to gang up in the numbers they'd need to stop serious threats, but even the small ones will take down more than their weight in wolves and boars, and the big ones can clear out bears and bandit gangs. Also, not only can you capture an Ancient Forest to use it as a recruitment point and stop animal spawns from it, you can Troll Woods it to get better defenses and more fungus out of it.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Well I bought the game, time to Necromancer it up. :ghost:

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Thanks, I'll give that a go.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

Zereth posted:

Well I bought the game, time to Necromancer it up. :ghost:

Remember, your most valuable resource is not troops or money, but your remaining shreds of sanity. Don't raise dead except where there are lots of bodies, and don't raise dead with your good necromancers unless you can't avoid it.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Eschatos posted:

Remember, your most valuable resource is not troops or money, but your remaining shreds of sanity. Don't raise dead except where there are lots of bodies, and don't raise dead with your good necromancers unless you can't avoid it.
I ended up with my strategy being having a sane commander ferrying around several necromancers and finding which one was sane enough to obey orders and thus remove from the unit this turn, have them reanimate, then put them right back. :ghost:

I also tried to make my starting one a lich but never... found any temples.

I won when an attack on one of my cities, which was defended by just ten crossbowmen, apparently killed the last faction's last commander.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
I have an almost-won where ive let all my necromancers go insane and a captain just comes and takes the army and the necro can just chill till hes calmed down or ive found another battleground.

Bert of the Forest
Apr 27, 2013

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Cheat to unlock all the classes / races / difficulty modes, the achievements for a lot of them are random and tedious and the beginning classes are deliberately simplified for new players and super boring as a result.

ToME is a descendant of Angband so you should approach it like a turn-based Diablo -- you want to get loot and level up in whatever zone offers the best risk / reward ratio. You can't floorscum like in classic Angband, though, hence the incredibly detailed zone orders so you can hoover up every last bit of loot and XP.

+HP gear is more important than anything else for the first and second tier dungeons and remains pretty good into the third tier, although you'll want to start transitioning towards resistances and immunities around that point. Learn where all the stores are, check them all, buy as much of this as you can wear. A good lantern (+4 or +5 light radius, ideally also with +HP or +healing% on it) is also very helpful for some of the early dungeons, and you'll also want to upgrade your infusions and runes with ones that scale with your main stat (except Wild, where it doesn't matter) and have the lowest possible cooldown. (Wiki can help you there.)

Thanks for the tips! Think I'm gonna buckle up and give it a good honest deep dive when I get some time this weekend. Looking forward to breaching that complexity barrier so I can get to that juicy depth everyone seems to tout for this game.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
I tried to play a round of CoE on a small world, and somehoe 2 of the 3 AIs managed to kill themselves to neutrals in the first 5 turns.
The one left standing, the High Cultist, sent both of his leaders right next to my citadel to die one-at-a-time. I won when all I had done was explore some forests and buy a single extra set of melee units.

I think I'm gonna go pick up that one mod now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
What's the difference between CoE and Dominion? Simpler/no god customization but with procedural maps?