Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Is this show
Gay?
Sad?
Sad and Gay?
What the hell is wrong with you people?
View Results

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

CuddlyZombie posted:

Cognitive Behavioral Therapy: The other CBT!

I... Wasn't aware CBT stood for anything other than Cognitive Behavioral Therapy.

...............Oh, God, I thought I had seen every disturbing thing on the internet.

Waffleman_ posted:

Also, it was really hard for me to tell that Hori was doing the song. The only real tipoff was the lower framerate, which....didn't look good?

Personally, that's what tipped me off, because it looked like a lot of other Trigger shows.

Not including the one that barely even counts as "animated".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

But it didn't look that different from the show as usual, which...kinda defeats the purpose of a guest animator?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I really like his arm was broken. It's such a cartoon thing to do to talk like things have consequences then not show them. It feels like any other cartoon would have done this episode and had it "I done bopped him right on the head" and not really show anyone as hurting anyone for real . It's weird but it feels rare for shows to even bother to show that hurting people hurts people.

Eh, that might be true if some styles, but I can't think of any if the current good CN shows that wouldn't show consequence. Hell, even TTG would have shown it if only to make the team feel bad.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

But it didn't look that different from the show as usual, which...kinda defeats the purpose of a guest animator?

Takafumi Hori enjoys drawing shockingly on model Steven Universe fanart.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

My s/o pointed out that the falling scene also has a pretty direct reference to spirited away.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

axleblaze posted:

Eh, that might be true if some styles, but I can't think of any if the current good CN shows that wouldn't show consequence. Hell, even TTG would have shown it if only to make the team feel bad.

Gumball thrives on making a mess of everything and then pretending it never happened.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0Sy6GJAQto

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Rhonne posted:

Will Stevonnie ever get shoes?

Where would you get children's shoes to fit a 6'6" hermaphrodite?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Philip Rivers posted:

Gumball thrives on making a mess of everything and then pretending it never happened.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0Sy6GJAQto

Yeah but even then they don't really back off on characters doing things and the horrible consequences of their actions within episode, like the knocking out Tobias, or head butting Penny and cracking her shell.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

axleblaze posted:

As for the episode, I do like the idea that Connie is feeling bad for just throwing a guy and it was easily fixed, meanwhile Steven hs flat out pretty much been involved in the beating up and indefinite imprisoning/infinitely floating in space of multiple Gems and it's just like man, that other thing seems kind of minor now.

I loved that although Connie's thing seemed minor at the end it still required the same process to start healing than Steven's. Although I did get a kick at "i accidentally showed the basics of CQC to a child because Pearl made me a living weapon" compared to "i bubbled my mom's enemy, saw Jasper get corrupted essentially out of sheer hate for mom and i couldn't heal her, Kars'd some Ruby and the complicated feelings got MEGA COMPLICATED after the reveal that she killed a space president"

Guess the episode hit at just the right time for me. My girlfriend and I have been getting some anxiety from a lot of places and a nice reminder that talking is the best thing ever was very fortunate.

HeartPlug
Aug 22, 2016

Sand will cover this place
Sand will cover you

hopeandjoy posted:

I... Wasn't aware CBT stood for anything other than Cognitive Behavioral Therapy.

...............Oh, God, I thought I had seen every disturbing thing on the internet.

I think we all learned a valuable lesson today

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Are they phasing in a new ending song?

I think Mindful Education will be more significant in hindsight. It's definitely a pretty Message episode, and one that marks a very conspicuous milestone in Steven's growth.

The giant angry Rose Quartz face is emblematic of the new wrinkle in Steven's main issue. Season 4 deals with the sudden shift from feeling very pressured to be her to feeling shocked to learn more about who she was. The discovery that the person he has spent a lifetime being compared to and identified with did some things that he hates? That's heavy. It's easy to read the last few super-light episodes as attempts to go on living (go on having the show) as though everything is fine and nobody died horribly, and today as an explicit repudiation of that direction.

In a none-too-subtle lesson, today Steven, Connie, and by extension Stevonnie learned that pain is nothing to be afraid of, by entering a situation in which a fear of pain literally almost got them killed. And by getting a bit of therapy.

The urgency of their imminent deaths underscored the nature of Steven and Connie's relationship, and the very most fruitful companionships generally. She finds in him the inspiration and strength to overcome herself, then he finds in her the drive and direction to follow.

It also skillfully reuses the motif of the last time we saw him falling from a great height - at that time, he was joyous, and the risk was that he'd stay suspended in the air as a child forever (enabled, but not caused, by his family's indulgence), and he consciously and explicitly decided to suppress thoughts of Rose.

Maturation as represented by miraculously surviving chuteless skydiving is a unique one. I wonder what that says about Peridot's recent Wile E. Coyote plummet, or the time Amethyst slipped off the cliff and cracked herself.

I think that I'm ready to see a Garnet who does not have all the answers again, though.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

HeartPlug posted:

I think we all learned a valuable lesson today

I googled CBT and only got Cognitive Behavioral Therapy stuff, decided to look it up on tumblr and, uhhhhh, that's a lot of stuff alright. :stare: But I still got no idea what CBT is.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Edit: Too gross for SU thread

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Aug 26, 2016

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

I think Trigger probably worked on the second fight scene as well.

I really can't think of many shows that represent anxiety and panic attacks as well as this one, even in a non-abstracted way (such as Steven during Gem Drill). It's so good.

Aristide
Sep 2, 2011

Mysterious Cat Country

Considering how full-on anime the end of the song sequence went with Connie flopping on the ground followed by Ruby and the others, I don't know how anyone could not pick up on a Trigger animator's work.

I liked this episode a lot. Just today I ended up calling out of work for mental health reasons and it was cathartic seeing something like how to handle anxiety and depressive issues like intrusive thoughts show up in the episode. That the message was paired with such a nice song helped. I think it might just be my new favorite song and a strong contender for my favorite episode overall.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Bongo Bill posted:

Are they phasing in a new ending song?

I think Mindful Education will be more significant in hindsight. It's definitely a pretty Message episode, and one that marks a very conspicuous milestone in Steven's growth.

The giant angry Rose Quartz face is emblematic of the new wrinkle in Steven's main issue. Season 4 deals with the sudden shift from feeling very pressured to be her to feeling shocked to learn more about who she was. The discovery that the person he has spent a lifetime being compared to and identified with did some things that he hates? That's heavy. It's easy to read the last few super-light episodes as attempts to go on living (go on having the show) as though everything is fine and nobody died horribly, and today as an explicit repudiation of that direction.

In a none-too-subtle lesson, today Steven, Connie, and by extension Stevonnie learned that pain is nothing to be afraid of, by entering a situation in which a fear of pain literally almost got them killed. And by getting a bit of therapy.

The urgency of their imminent deaths underscored the nature of Steven and Connie's relationship, and the very most fruitful companionships generally. She finds in him the inspiration and strength to overcome herself, then he finds in her the drive and direction to follow.

It also skillfully reuses the motif of the last time we saw him falling from a great height - at that time, he was joyous, and the risk was that he'd stay suspended in the air as a child forever (enabled, but not caused, by his family's indulgence), and he consciously and explicitly decided to suppress thoughts of Rose.

Maturation as represented by miraculously surviving chuteless skydiving is a unique one. I wonder what that says about Peridot's recent Wile E. Coyote plummet, or the time Amethyst slipped off the cliff and cracked herself.

I think that I'm ready to see a Garnet who does not have all the answers again, though.

Steven has spent all his life surrounded by people who looked up to and loved Rose Quartz. He wanted to live up to the legacy she left, wanted to be the person people expected him to be, wanted to love his mom as others loved her, and now he finds out that she was flawed and secretive, that she killed for her goals, and imprisoned those who dissented from her methods. He needs to find within himself if he can accept this, if he can move forward with his own goals, if he should still struggle to save those she could not, or redeem those she failed.

It's a huge burden for a 14 year old, and he hasn't felt he can speak with those who knew Rose, hasn't been able to untangle how he feel about it, and hasn't wanted to burden Connie. He still wants to be a crystal gem, but he has to figure out what that means for him now.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

the butterflies are the real thing that is different, and are also what tipped me off. their movement, and the way the masses of them are depicted are simply extremely "anime". Funny enough, the "framerate" is a big part of this, and a big part of why anime looks the way it does.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

gently caress, I gotta watch this again tomorrow. I think I was just way too distracted by not understanding the song to appreciate it.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Episode was amazing and gorgeous and definitely resonated with me, as I deal with depression a good deal.

That's my hot take. It was good and cool. :yaycloud:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i feel like the ending music is going somewhere new. somebody else described it as "eerie but gentle"

HeartPlug
Aug 22, 2016

Sand will cover this place
Sand will cover you
It's the Steven Universe Murder Theme

It's gonna get dark

Swedish Horror
Jan 16, 2013

I remember hoping weeks ago that there would be more happy episodes. I was wrong to hope

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i need to rewatch this in a few hours i think

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
about the song:

often painful emotions manifest in thoughts you cannot let go and that constantly cycle. Mindfulness means being in the present moment on purpose and often the basic exercise is to focus on your breathing and if you have a thought just sort of observe that you had a thought and then let it go.
Often these meditation exercises have you use imagery, such as imagining you are at a stream and your thoughts are leaves floating past you, and you just observe them and let them go... or in this case butterflies

snucks posted:

This. I've been waiting for an episode about how Steven feels letting people die and this delivered beyond my wildest expectations, especially as a fan of CBT/mindfulness. I know this is silly and this stuff is to some extent lost on pretty much every child watching this, but SU providing a cultural reference for valid coping mechanisms is one of those things that gives me hope for a better future.

Yeah this is a good thing they're doing.
These concepts can be hard to get and every exposure kids and adults have to it is a step to getting it.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Swedish Horror posted:

I remember hoping weeks ago that there would be more happy episodes. I was wrong to hope

The ultimate lesson of Steven Universe is that hope is a lie degeminize yourself

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I don't think I liked this episode. Most of it is introspection about events that happened offscreen during the episode, and we the viewers are not a party to the actual introspection, we only see Stevonnie sitting pensively as a vague, mostly unrelated visual metaphor plays out. And all this in the name of training children to have the instinct to kill. Real great.

Pretty snazzy animation though. Real fluid amorphous blobs there.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

NecroMonster posted:

the butterflies are the real thing that is different, and are also what tipped me off. their movement, and the way the masses of them are depicted are simply extremely "anime". Funny enough, the "framerate" is a big part of this, and a big part of why anime looks the way it does.

For me it was the faces. Sapphire's quivering eye, and Ruby's close-up face, and then some of the expressions on both Steven and Connie were super intricate and well drawn.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

The only CBT to me is Classic Battletech.

This was a loving incredible episode, by the way.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

SlothfulCobra posted:

I don't think I liked this episode. Most of it is introspection about events that happened offscreen during the episode, and we the viewers are not a party to the actual introspection, we only see Stevonnie sitting pensively as a vague, mostly unrelated visual metaphor plays out. And all this in the name of training children to have the instinct to kill. Real great.

Pretty snazzy animation though. Real fluid amorphous blobs there.

This episode is a good example of everything happening from Steven's perspective (and the fusions he's involved in by association). Connie had done something that upset her, and even though Steven didn't know the specifics, we can still see how Stevonnie experiences Connie's pain. It gives some interesting insight into Garnet's experience too, we've seen her talk to herself and nearly fall apart before with the forced fusions, which is probably how she knows exactly what Stevonnie is dealing with in the first place. Garnet was teaching Stevonnie how to talk through your issues with your friends and partners because she's an expert at it.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
That was such a weird episode.

But holy crap, that song. Estelle song #2 out of nowhere. I wasn't that into it at first, but around the time Stevonnie started singing it got better and better and by the end I was very much in love with it.

A lot of songs in this show are barely a minute long, so I love when they let them expand to full-length. It does have an impact on the structure of the episode, though.

Not a lot happened in this ep, but I still really liked it. It's fun to break away from the norm and do something different, and it had a really good, important message.

In general, though, everything about it was sort of a slow burn that I didn't really like until halfway through. I'm definitely gonna have to rewatch it.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

A lot happened in this episode because Steven Universe is fueled by emotional beats and not plot progression.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think that was very literally the point. This wasn't an episode about solving any specific problem and didn't want to bog down on the details of any one specific issue, it was an episode of the necessity of dealing with a problem instead of just ruining your whole life running away and not confronting the things harming your wellbeing. Like the goal of this episode wasn't to guide people on what to do if you physically hurt someone (although that could be a steven universe episode) it was a guide to "what if you did a thing you hate and it's messing you up but you are just avoiding even having the conversations that need to be had about it"

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Stevonnie... Remember... Who you are...

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Philip Rivers posted:

A lot happened in this episode because Steven Universe is fueled by emotional beats and not plot progression.

On this show, emotional progression and personal development are plot progression.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

By focusing on past pain and dealing with it Steven, Connie and Stevonnie can progress even further.

Season 5 finale spoilers
"That’s right, you’re not dealing with the average fusion anymore, Yellow Diamond. I, Stevonnie, have finally become- the legendary- Super Fusion!"

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Waffleman_ posted:

gently caress, I gotta watch this again tomorrow. I think I was just way too distracted by not understanding the song to appreciate it.

Same. I'll watch it again with what I've learned in this thread.

Someday, I gotta do all this CBT/DBT/etc therapy stuff so I can be less neurotic and anxious. Someday.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Infinitum posted:

When Homeworld turns its back on you, you turn your back on Homewold!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Infinitum posted:

This....is Cartoon Network.....This.......is Cartoon Network.....Cartoon.....Network....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

Same. I'll watch it again with what I've learned in this thread.

Someday, I gotta do all this CBT/DBT/etc therapy stuff so I can be less neurotic and anxious. Someday.

You can! That's the point of this episode (Mindful Education)! The most basic element of CBT-based forms of therapy is mindfulness - you stay present in the moment, acknowledge thoughts as they come, process them, and let them go. We get stuck on things and build them up in our heads and if you never actually deal with your issues, they'll just fester and take up more and more emotional energy. It's a lot like breathing, you have to let your thoughts in and be able to let them go.