Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Slaan posted:

I BEG you all to consider that these are extremely minor problems. The only reason they were noticed at all is because there was nothing else happening, anywhere. Its a quirk of the ship. If things get worse then Bedia et al will wake us up so we can fix whatever is happening.

On the other hand, there's no cost to doing a walk around that I'm aware of. If we get a habit of being fastidious, that's fine.

Edit: Also, Cylon spotted :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Slaan posted:

I BEG you all to consider that these are extremely minor problems. The only reason they were noticed at all is because there was nothing else happening, anywhere. Its a quirk of the ship. If things get worse then Bedia et al will wake us up so we can fix whatever is happening.

Slaan, voice of reason, Patron Saint of tired engineers.

Never did I think I would call you the voice of reason.

Also now I have to go watch Pandorum.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Olothreutes posted:

”Of course. My team and I will prepare for cryo, yes?”
This guy is totally a traitor. Not even finished reading the update. But when something goes wrong, its totally him.

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

Voting Plan RandomPaul.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Olothreutes posted:

“How long has it been like this?”

“About two months,” she says. She starts again “Wait. More like a year, I guess. Time is hard sometimes. I don’t think it’s been getting any worse, though.”
Whatever psychological profile was picked for the Warders, this is totally intolerable. They have poo poo judgment.

Is the process of freezing/unfreezing someone something which we have a limited supply of? Would expanding the uh, waking crew with volunteers who wake and go to sleep in intervals be possible, if so? These chuckle fucks are going to get the ship destroyed through ignoring maintenance problems.

1: A.

2: C, also I want to check the computer records for the pod with Thomas Moulton to see if anything weird happened with it.

3. F, we absolutely stay awake. This is serious business.

Diogines fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Aug 26, 2016

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Three questions:

1. How many colonists do we have?
2. Are they stored in hallways or something, a way that a visual inspection could be made?

Edit: Answered.

Edit: Still valid: 3. Would it be crazy to visually inspect each pod for any obvious signs it was opened, would that take more than a few days?

Someone has woken up, who should not have woken up. We can't trust the ships records and scanners to report this, if someone is up to no good they could fake that.

I loving PLAYED ALPHA CENTUARI, THIS CAPTAIN IS NOT BEING ASSASSINATED!

Diogines fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Aug 26, 2016

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

Olothreutes posted:

Slaan, voice of reason, Patron Saint of tired engineers.

Never did I think I would call you the voice of reason.

Also now I have to go watch Pandorum.

If your engineers aren't tired then they aren't working. Order written reports on each anomaly before they go back to sleep and then wake them 2 hours later to ask a question about wording and then tell them never mind you got it.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Diogines posted:

This guy is totally a traitor. Not even finished reading the update. But when something goes wrong, its totally him.

This is the CYOA's 2 second shot of The Cook from The Hunt for Red October.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Slaan posted:

Slaan is a loving cylon. And so are one of our "colonists".

A robot snuck on board and is trying to sabotage the expedition.

Anyone who does not support taking this VERY seriously is a cylon and a traitor to humanity.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Arkanomen posted:

If your engineers aren't tired then they aren't working. Order written reports on each anomaly before they go back to sleep and then wake them 2 hours later to ask a question about wording and then tell them never mind you got it.

You are a monster. This is "Make wild claims about the nature of things based on innocuous statements made by Jael" levels of cruel. And less funny :colbert:

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Cut loose before the god eaters show up.

Diogines posted:

Whatever psychological profile was picked for the Warders, this is totally intolerable. They have poo poo judgment.

I'd bet you she was lackadaisical about it cause it's not her subsection. She seems in charge of cryo and crew stuff. I suspect the reactor sperglord would have talked our ear off about how he modeled the mag vortex patterns and monitored it to hell and back.

On that note, get a face to face report from each of them. Gently.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

While avoiding rapid movements and eye contact with these inhuman monsters.

IRC posted:

19:45:41 | <~Diog> loel, we both independantly accused slaan of being a cylon
19:45:42 | <~Diog> rofl
19:45:48 | <~Diog> I didnt see your post when I made mine
19:46:30 | <loel> :D
19:46:34 | <loel> we are genre saavy :D

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Diogines posted:

Three questions:

1. How many colonists do we have?
2. Are they stored in hallways or something, a way that a visual inspection could be made?
3. Would it be crazy to visually inspect each pod for any obvious signs it was opened, would that take more than a few days?

Someone has woken up, who should not have woken up. We can't trust the ships records and scanners to report this, if someone is up to no good they could fake that.

I loving PLAYED ALPHA CENTUARI, THIS CAPTAIN IS NOT BEING ASSASSINATED!

You have just shy of 8,000 colonists, a bunch of equipment, lots of corridor, and lots of sundry supplies in cargo bays that will hopefully keep you alive on your new homeworld. The total crew is 8,004, including the officers and the wardens.

The colonists don't have cabins, they aren't important enough for that. They aren't supposed to be awake at all anyway for the vast majority of the trip. In the final week or so you'll wake them up and they have cots they can sleep on while they aren't busy prepping everything for planetfall. For the moment all the cryopods are in large rooms, 200 to a room, with individual controller systems for each one so that if you lose a controller you don't lose all your colonists.

Every single pod would take you a while, but is doable. More so with a team. Checking a single bay would probably take you a few hours at most, depending on how thorough you want to be. It will involve a visual inspection of 200 occupied (?) cryopods and you will probably have to review all the specs first to know what you are looking at.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

I am voting we wake up a security team (whichever is closest to our current physical location), then manually inspect the 200 pods. Then, the rest of them. All 8,000.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

I just want to do a quick visual inspection of the ones that are reporting things are fine (literal walkthrough, a couple hours total), and then go more thorough on the odd one (a couple hours itself).

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

I find it fun that this game is like less than a week old and we're already mucking about like seasoned Dark Heresy mooks.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

Diogines posted:

I am voting we wake up a security team (whichever is closest to our current physical location), then manually inspect the 200 pods. Then, the rest of them. All 8,000.

Agreed. We've got 18 more years, why worry about "wasting" a few extra days on being extra-sure? It's only paranoia if it wastes limited resources, otherwise it's called "being competent."

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

I find it fun that this game is like less than a week old and we're already mucking about like seasoned Dark Heresy mooks.

Lot of the same players :D

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

Olothreutes posted:

You are a monster. This is "Make wild claims about the nature of things based on innocuous statements made by Jael" levels of cruel. And less funny :colbert:

Just trying to stay true to the role we are playing and handle our engineers realistically. Haha...ha....haaaaa

:negative:

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
ACF + get some security awake to check all the pods with us.

The confluence of little things going wrong all at once is enough to be a little paranoid about in my view, especially given we are the last hope of humanity.

+1 to asking if freezing/unfreezing has some kind of limit.

Bede
Jun 2, 2006

I wasn't even around for the goblin baby vote
BEG

So much tinfoil.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Ask Bedia how she keeps track of time.

We don't have a day/night cycle, and the answer is probably "lol, computers", but, she obviously sucks at it since years and months are mixing up in her head.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Time is an illusion, lunchtime doubly so

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

the_steve posted:

Ask Bedia how she keeps track of time.

We don't have a day/night cycle, and the answer is probably "lol, computers", but, she obviously sucks at it since years and months are mixing up in her head.

You ask, and Bedia replies "Oh, we count reactor cycles, it's very consistent. So, I guess it's a bit like counting fifths of a second, but not quite, since the reactor is a bit faster than that."

That makes sense, you guess? It might be easier to just count actual seconds, but whatever works.

Can't get enough :tinfoil:? Want more spaceships with danger lurking in all the dark places (and most of the not-dark places too)? Check out Loel's sort-of-40K inspired space hulk CYOA, Prometheus Cycle!

Olothreutes fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Aug 26, 2016

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

Olothreutes posted:

You ask, and Bedia replies "Oh, we count reactor cycles, it's very consistent. So, I guess it's a bit like counting fifths of a second, but not quite, since the reactor is a bit faster than that."

That makes sense, you guess? It might be easier to just count actual seconds, but whatever works.

double down paranoia. You always have backup clocks. Check the backups.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Arkanomen posted:

If the reactor timer is off, wouldnt that be ... bad?

I kind of want to double check our expected relative positions to stars now.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Arkanomen posted:

Yeah, pretty sure losing the concept of time is part of what leads a person to cracking.

Question: Do the Wardens have any psyche evals they have to go through while on board the ship with us? Y'know, to make sure they don't lose their poo poo over the course of 2 decades? Do we have anyone on board qualified to play head shrink? Might be something to consider once we get the mechanical poo poo dealt with.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

the_steve posted:

Yeah, pretty sure losing the concept of time is part of what leads a person to cracking.

Question: Do the Wardens have any psyche evals they have to go through while on board the ship with us? Y'know, to make sure they don't lose their poo poo over the course of 2 decades? Do we have anyone on board qualified to play head shrink? Might be something to consider once we get the mechanical poo poo dealt with.

You can wake up the ship's doctor, Dr. Dylan Nilsson, who you are confident would be willing to take a look at them. He's been trained in the usual stressors that long term space travel puts on a person and what sort of results that can have. Usually depression, anxiety, issues with command structure because of different cultures, that sort of thing. The wardens all went through a pretty rigorous selection criteria to weed out any predisposition to the more serious mental issues and in general to get the sort of mental fortitude that could hold off the anxiety induced by being one of four people awake in a ship as it glides through the near-nothingness of interstellar space. In some of the studies it was shown that having a high degree of autonomy (which the wardens clearly have) helped to increase crew happiness. It usually put more stress on the mission control staff, but they don't exist, so maybe the increased autonomy is good?

Assuming that the reactor has been running well this entire time at a constant 5.2 hertz, which is what you calculated based on the EM pulses, there have been 6.557e8 reactor cycles in that 4 year period. Once you get into numbers that large it's rather easy to start rounding and actually chop off a non-trivial bit of time.

Olothreutes fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Aug 26, 2016

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

AHA! So we are lost! :tinfoil:

Ceramic Shot
Dec 21, 2006

The stars aren't in the right places.
ACF and wake up more than one engineer and the doctor. Feel a bit paranoid and treat this as a serious threat.

Off to a great start, Olothreutes!

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Figure 2 security guys, 2 engineers, 1 psych doc. I assume we can wake up different guys in those categories each time

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Voting is not officially closed, feel free to continue to make suggestions, but I'm working on an update because it seems like team :tinfoil: is winning this one handily.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

It's not paranoia, it's due diligence. And even if it is, the costs of failure (an entire colony) are higher than the costs of OCD.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Well, before we go full tinfoil on the Wardens themselves

Ask Bedia about herself. How's the trip been? How've the other Wardens been? Anything you wanna talk about? Work or otherwise?

I mean, even if they're vetted for it, a little interaction with someone new might be healthy for them.
If we pick up on any red flags, then they can chat with the doc, but, let's see what we can figure out for ourselves first.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Sir Unimaginative posted:

It's not paranoia, it's due diligence. And even if it is, the costs of failure (an entire colony) are higher than the costs of OCD.

Agreed. Even if the problems don't get worse, asking the Wardens to ignore problems for four more years is not gonna be good for catching further problems.

Though I do think waking more than one or two engineers is serious overkill.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Great read so far.

Voting ACF+Doc+Security squad, and yeah let's go ahead and make a bit of small talk with Bedia.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

the_steve posted:

Well, before we go full tinfoil on the Wardens themselves

Ask Bedia about herself. How's the trip been? How've the other Wardens been? Anything you wanna talk about? Work or otherwise?

I mean, even if they're vetted for it, a little interaction with someone new might be healthy for them.
If we pick up on any red flags, then they can chat with the doc, but, let's see what we can figure out for ourselves first.

Slice of life (maybe?) Bedia Nolet:

Bedia seems fine, all things considered.

"The trip has been pretty uneventful so far, really. Fuel consumption is right on target, and other than the few things we talked about earlier nothing has really happened. The stars are really pretty." She has a genuine smile on her face. "The warden instructions include a mandate to be up and about for an hour a day. The others aren't so particular about it but I've been trying to keep to it. The trips down to the cryobay have been helping, but I like to watch the stars too. There are so many of them out here."

The atmosphere on Earth was pretty messed up, very few of the stars were visible by the time you set off on your journey. Your astrodynamicist would surely be able to tell you where you are right now without looking, but you pull the data from the computer over your comlink. You are a long way from home. And even further from your new home, but right on track for where you should be. Really everything seems to be going pretty smoothly. You point out a few stars with names to Bedia and she is thrilled. She's probably the most social of the wardens by far. You ask about the other wardens.

"They're fine. Cedric likes to play cards with Otto, and I think he has a crush on me," she blushes at that, "but I'm probably wrong. Anneli, she likes to be called Ann, is very quiet. She's very detailed though. She spends most of her time looking over the reactor data and the astrodynamics, making sure that we're on course and that the reactor is doing well. She's the one that noticed the magnetic seal issues. You can ask her more about it if you want, but I imagine her logs have a good summary. She doesn't seem to think it's too big a deal."

"How old are you, Bedia?"

"Pardon, captain? Uh, 35. Why do you ask?" She was born during the war. You thought she seemed pretty young. She's only ever known war, and now for a scant few years she's seen the mad rush to evacuate a planet that she has no idea was ever beautiful. No wonder she loves the stars as much as she does. You take about an hour and just make small talk with her, tell her about Earth before the wars, when everything was blue and green and golden. She is enraptured by the tales. She especially enjoys the one where someone tried to make a device to communicate with dolphins, only to find that they were endlessly annoying. She doesn't have many concerns, in fact she's happy with how well things seem to be going.

Olothreutes fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Aug 26, 2016

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Ok, well either I suck at Sense Motive checks (Highly Likely!), or, they're legit not insane (Yet!)
Either way, I think the Wardens are fine and not crazy/plotting to murder us/plotting to force us to murder each other in space gladiator combat.

I still agree with everyone else about getting the reactor looked at and figuring out the energy spikes and whatever else we wanted to wake the engineer up for.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

We should space the chief of security during the next update cycle anyway, just to be safe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Ok, there are three votes to wake up the doctor to look at the wardens right now.

Mini-vote!

Do you want to wake up Dr. Nilsson to check on the wardens/engineers/whomever?

• Locked thread