Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Overdrive is great for rushing ahead and activating more pods. Overdrive through cover even more so. When you're ahead of the squad, having rushed through a wall to punch someone and used your heavy weapon to destroy even more cover... that's what synergizes with Bulwark.

In my opinion, even if you only use overdrive once in a mission, wrecking ball is the obvious choice. It makes overdrive so much better, not only because it destroys cover but also because it lets you ignore movement obstructions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Julian "gently caress Asimov" Shen.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Migishu posted:

Wait, do we NOT have a Duke Nukem soundpack for this?

XCOM spreads, sometimes in hilarious ways.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jale2RRyNak&t=382s

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

IT'S GARBAGE DAY AT WENDY'S FUCK YEAH WE EATIN GOOD TONIGHT
Wrecking ball just sounds way more rad in general especially with the punch mod and therefore must be the right choice.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

LorrdErnie posted:

Wrecking ball just sounds way more rad in general especially with the punch mod and therefore must be the right choice.

As long as Julian doesn't start singing afterwards.

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"
Do you think we might see a soldier go down the Gunslinger branch of the Sharpshooter, just so we can see stuff?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

sincx posted:

As long as Julian doesn't start singing afterwards.

Don't worry. As an insane homicidal killbot, all he can sing is "Daisy Bell".

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

TheNabster posted:

Do you think we might see a soldier go down the Gunslinger branch of the Sharpshooter, just so we can see stuff?

Unless there's a skill that puts the beginning of the pistol's long range penalties at about where the sniper rifle starts to get its close range penalties or vice versa, I really don't know why they think that people would spec for pistols when there's a perfectly good shotgun unit in the game. IIRC, EW's second foundry upgrade to the pistol did something like that, but it mostly just made for better infiltration units

Ooo, I would love to see EXALT again, like as vigilantes in urban maps. Take cover near a random civilian after breaking stealth, then he pulls a bandana up and trains a plasma pistol on you, like a tiny, annoying Faceless. It would almost make sense to start installing sleeper cells in cities now that XCOM has started to become a legitimate problem for ADVENT and it sounds like almost everyone gets gene therapy from the aliens anyways. That might be a little too far though, since it would incentivize blowing up random civilians just in case they're secretly evil

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

The Door Frame posted:

Unless there's a skill that puts the beginning of the pistol's long range penalties at about where the sniper rifle starts to get its close range penalties or vice versa, I really don't know why they think that people would spec for pistols when there's a perfectly good shotgun unit in the game. IIRC, EW's second foundry upgrade to the pistol did something like that, but it mostly just made for better infiltration units

Ooo, I would love to see EXALT again, like as vigilantes in urban maps. Take cover near a random civilian after breaking stealth, then he pulls a bandana up and trains a plasma pistol on you, like a tiny, annoying Faceless. It would almost make sense to start installing sleeper cells in cities now that XCOM has started to become a legitimate problem for ADVENT and it sounds like almost everyone gets gene therapy from the aliens anyways. That might be a little too far though, since it would incentivize blowing up random civilians just in case they're secretly evil

Why would EXALT help the aliens?

They were scum, but they were freelance scum. The aliens hated them as much as we did.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

The Door Frame posted:

Okay, We have Exalt right, so it's a bunch of humans, who otherwise look normal, but from out of nowhere can become enemies for Xcom to fight.

"Commander, what would you do if Xcom were forced to fight an enemy force comprised of humans who specialized in Guerrilla warfare"
"Commander, what ideas do you have for splicing alien biology with humans using this 'Meld' substance"
"Commander, if we were to build mechanized infantry, what weapons would they use?"

Enemy Within was just one big extra scenario that ADVENT was running through the commander.

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Any scientist with the right background can brew his own booze.

What do you mean electrolytes aren't used for brewing booze? That's silly!

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer
How about Julian "Romhack" Shen?

Or maybe Julian "DisOWNED" Shen.

Or possibly Julian "Serfbot" Shen.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

chiasaur11 posted:

They were scum, but they were freelance scum. The aliens hated them as much as we did.

Thematically? I have no idea. I thought that dunking on EXALT every few weeks was a nice, relaxing activity. And I just like the Faceless and the idea of going somewhere that looks benign and a little strange, but is a gigantic loving trap, like Newfoundland

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Julian "Skynet" Shen

If we throw out enough maybe one will stick.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Pistols and shotguns perform very different jobs. Also, all Sharpshooters have squadsight, so Gunslingers snipe just fine. Snipers have their own hilarities later admittedly.

Something I was reminded of today though, is that Faceless regen health. And regen happens before burning/poisoned etc. Also that Bladestorm is win.

Might be worth someone who has more know-how doing a post about what the statuses are and do. It's hard to know what abilities disorientated and burning stop, pretty sure I had an officer with both use Mark and I'm not sure if you can make melee-only enemies unable to act.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Hogan going wild is awesome, but Man Whore is still the best.

Also, you should take Wrecking Ball for Julian, it sounds just too fun to go around and destroy everything Apocalypse style.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

chiasaur11 posted:

They wouldn't, but they still think they're the rightful rulers of humanity. They're a wild card. Say they've been hiding as well as XCOM the past 20 years, their leaders kissing alien rear end with everyone else while secretly diverting supplies and technology to raise a generation of zealots in hidden shelters.

You might run into them stealing from your supply caches. You might be able to take advantage of them by sending them after a Dark Event mission you don't go after yourself, so you'd lose the reward but not have to deal with the Dark Event effect. They might steal Avatar Project progress, which helps you out in the short run, but if the Avatar Project is something they can use for themselves, it could set up an alternate endgame.

If you are really ambitious I bet you could put together a "play as Exalt" mod. I haven't figured out how their Geoscape would work without the Avenger but sure there's some way you could do it.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

IMJack posted:

They wouldn't, but they still think they're the rightful rulers of humanity. They're a wild card. Say they've been hiding as well as XCOM the past 20 years, their leaders kissing alien rear end with everyone else while secretly diverting supplies and technology to raise a generation of zealots in hidden shelters.

You might run into them stealing from your supply caches. You might be able to take advantage of them by sending them after a Dark Event mission you don't go after yourself, so you'd lose the reward but not have to deal with the Dark Event effect. They might steal Avatar Project progress, which helps you out in the short run, but if the Avatar Project is something they can use for themselves, it could set up an alternate endgame.

If you are really ambitious I bet you could put together a "play as Exalt" mod. I haven't figured out how their Geoscape would work without the Avenger but sure there's some way you could do it.

With the X-COM 2 reveals, I don't think EXALT ever actually existed in the setting.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
It's possible that EXALT was a simulation of fighting XCOM agents or other humans for the aliens so they'd know how to react to a escalating foe or something.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Julian "Tachikoma" Shen

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
Julian "STOMP STOMP" Shen

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Julian "Hachi Machi" Shen

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Cynic Jester posted:

Julian "Tachikoma" Shen

Voting for this new nickname of Julian as well.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
It looks like Hulk Hogan is well on his way to becoming this thread's Nittien. God drat.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Cynic Jester posted:

Julian "Tachikoma" Shen

Count my vote for this,too.

Emissary666
Sep 6, 2010

I vote Julian "Bulwark" Shen.

Bliss Authority
Jul 6, 2011

I'm not saying it was witches

but it was witches

Julian Megaman Shen is the clear choice for a super fighting robot.

Or for the comedy option, Beck.

Fix your game Imafune

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Julian "gently caress It" Shen

GVOLTT
Dec 27, 2012

Honestly, I don't know what I want to put here, so I'm going with this.

Canuck-Errant posted:

Julian "STOMP STOMP" Shen
Have to second this one.

Also, for something to make Eph Phatha's nickname have more P's and H's, instead of the 40k-inspired "Tech Priest", I suggest "Technophage".

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
julian "julian" julian

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Cynic Jester posted:

Julian "Tachikoma" Shen

To hear that anger from that name, voting that

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
You know, I can't quite pin Julian's VA. Part of me wants to claim Dee Bradley Baker, but I can't find anything online to confirm it.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Julian "Number 5"

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Blind Sally posted:

Julian "Number 5"

Only if we play I Need a Hero everytime he deploys.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.

VolticSurge posted:

Only if we play I Need a Hero everytime he deploys.

And every time he Overdrives.

Jalathas
Nov 26, 2010

Narsham posted:

But "Gollop" probably isn't a good nickname for him in-game. How about "Lobstakilla" for the Spark's nickname? Too soon?

By this logic, we should go with Slab. He claimed the nickname by right of conquest.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

So is this just going to be 2 weeks of Julian name suggestions until Jade comes back?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Garrand posted:

So is this just going to be 2 weeks of Julian name suggestions until Jade comes back?

Hopefully not, considering "butter robot" has already been posted and it cannot be beaten despite Jade's disagreement!

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Julian "Butt Robot" Shen

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Green Intern posted:

Julian "Butt Robot" Shen

On second thought, I vote for this.

As an aside, do you get medals in this game like in the previous XCOM? If so, I vote the first one we get be named Butt Medallion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Green Intern posted:

Julian "Butt Robot" Shen

Also voting this.

• Locked thread