Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The other primary method of orientation is the Aurora, based on which part of it you're looking at you can figure out roughly where you are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

So far the deepest I've been is where the magnetite starts spawning and the nuclear reactor fragments start popping up, but it just seems like even with the expanded 135 oxygen tanks and a rebreather you just don't have enough time to explore thoroughly, and half of your time is a mad panicked dash either back to the Seamoth or the surface.

Direction-wise, I've figured out that "facing directly away from the Aurora" will get me to the deeper areas, and I've started marking spots with beacons.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Well, any direction that isn't directly into the aurora goes deeper.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
One of the first things I did was make four beacons and put one in every direction from the life pod as far as I could swim, so I could keep a better rough track of where I was and where I'd been.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I managed to get all the Seapod parts last night. :getin:

Then I had to look up where to find wrecks so I could make the vehicle bay. I get that the focus of the game is exploration, but I feel there could be an easier way to find wrecks; maybe with signals or a device you can make or something.

Still, I did stumble on the giant-rear end mountain on my own, so I have a third of the Cyclops plans scanned.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Evil Mastermind posted:

I managed to get all the Seapod parts last night. :getin:

Then I had to look up where to find wrecks so I could make the vehicle bay. I get that the focus of the game is exploration, but I feel there could be an easier way to find wrecks; maybe with signals or a device you can make or something.

Still, I did stumble on the giant-rear end mountain on my own, so I have a third of the Cyclops plans scanned.

if you check the radio or communication device on the lifepod (or build on in your base) you get location beacons to lifepods which are usually close to wrecks.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

ughhhh posted:

if you check the radio or communication device on the lifepod (or build on in your base) you get location beacons to lifepods which are usually close to wrecks.
Oh, I was wondering what that was for. Thanks!

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
There's also the Scanning Room, though that has it's own issues. Mainly plonking down a base and power supply somewhere in order to get a scan when most of the time you can see as far as it can scan.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Hexenritter posted:

I haven't played much so I have absolutely no idea where poo poo like the Floating Island is, but after a decent sesh the other night I now have a rebreather, two high capacity oxygen tanks, the radiation suit (and helmet), and some other crap like recharging fins (and made the glide fins too just because) and the repulsion gun. But, I still can't find the goddamn moonpool fragments.
The floating island is west of the Aurora on the surface, it's hard to see unless you get close. I recommend bringing a beacon and marking it.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

U.T. Raptor posted:

The floating island is west of the Aurora on the surface, it's hard to see unless you get close. I recommend bringing a beacon and marking it.

It is southwest of the aurora, directly south from the safe shallows . Honestly man, if you are gonna spoil the exploration for him/her at least send them in the right direction,

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Any idea why this thermal power plant isn't generating energy? It's right by a vent (I even tried putting it ON the vent) and the temperature is clearly more than enough to support a thermal plant. It reads 33 where I am but where the TPP is placed is ~60C. I figured setting up FOBs in a few places was a good idea but apparently the game doesn't agree.

Hexenritter fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Aug 27, 2016

ickna
May 19, 2004

Hexenritter posted:

Any idea why this thermal power plant isn't generating energy? It's right by a vent (I even tried putting it ON the vent) and the temperature is clearly more than enough to support a thermal plant. It reads 33 where I am but where the TPP is placed is ~60C. I figured setting up FOBs in a few places was a good idea but apparently the game doesn't agree.

Use the debug console and switch to survival for a few seconds and it will take, then you can switch back to freedom mode.

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I wish I'd had the presence of mind to take a screenshot, but I swear I just saw a giant crabsnake in the distance, just above the surface, a couple hundred meters away from the starting lifepod. I'm almost certain it wasn't a reaper. Didn't seem big enough, and was above a kept forest.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Hermsgervørden posted:

I have just discovered that it is possible to trap yourself inside a beautiful donut built from four L glass corridors. You cannot deconstruct them from inside. I starved to death staring at my fruit trees in the room next door.

I have an official response from the Subnautica developers on that issue:
http://youtu.be/hkP4SEMvdmw

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Well, had my first Reaper close encounter while trying to figure out how to get into the Aurora. Been a long time since a game made me yell out loud like that. RIP my first Seamoth and my underwear. :(

On the plus side, I found the blueprints for the Bioreactor, and a bunch of batteries and power cells in the front part of the ship. Still have no idea how to get in there, though.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Have you played through Half Life 2?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Uh...no?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
But you found doors blocked by debris? You're going to want a propulsion cannon. There's a fragment just outside one of the entrances and a PDA hinting at that I believe but you're going to have to explore to find another fragment.

I could tell you where it is but I assume if you wanted all the answers you'd just use the wiki. I just don't see a good way to hint at the above.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I didn't realize there was stuff behind all the debris; I thought it was just a dead-end with a bunch of boxes. :doh: Must've walked right past the doors while I was trying to work around those little four-legged jumpy assholes and focusing on the supply crates.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Ah, figured it out. I didn't realize I could walk on something I could walk on. Now I just need to go exploring and find the other half of the cannon.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Make sure you take:

Extra batteries
Fire extinguisher
Medkits
Welder

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
There's quite a few fire extinguishers inside. You'll be fine not bringing an extra if you only put out fires that are in the way.

There's also a FUCKTON of batteries inside. I brought in 4 extras with 4 sitting at home in the charger and I ended up coming back with a dozen.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I did a safety assessment matrix - despite on site resources it still classified exploration in and around the aurora as elevated-risk.

At least take a medkit and an O2 tank for enclosed overhead space areas.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Met posted:

But you found doors blocked by debris? You're going to want a propulsion cannon. There's a fragment just outside one of the entrances and a PDA hinting at that I believe but you're going to have to explore to find another fragment.

I could tell you where it is but I assume if you wanted all the answers you'd just use the wiki. I just don't see a good way to hint at the above.

I would point out that the door into the cargo bay has another perfectly viable way into it, and it's not even an exploit because it's stacked so that you can climb back out again easily.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I'm pretty sure there's sections inside that require the propulsion cannon to progress so it's probably a good idea to have it regardless.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

You need it to get into there in the first place and there's an area or two where it comes in handy even if you have to finagle it.

Otherwise you should have most of the fire extinguishers you need if you bring the one you got in your escape pod.

Then it's just a welder, a laser cutter, a spare battery, a medkit or two and you're golden. There's so much stuff in the aurora I had to drop my Seaglide and come back for it later in order to get everything I wanted in one run (I wanted some of the silly froo froo items because they're unique in there.)

Oh yeah, in the living quarters there's two locked doorways. There is no code for the farther doorway, don't bother looking. It's to be added.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Met posted:

I'm pretty sure there's sections inside that require the propulsion cannon to progress so it's probably a good idea to have it regardless.

There are yes but there's a bunch of stuff you can get without it, and a bunch more you can get with a laser cutter and a welder which don't need blueprints.

I still haven't found another cannon fragment but by golly I got myself a mech suit and punched a sandshark.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Three-Phase posted:

Make sure you take:

Extra batteries
Fire extinguisher
Medkits
Welder
Also food. There's water bottles in there, but no food.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

U.T. Raptor posted:

Also food. There's water bottles in there, but no food.

Actually there's a huge amount of non perishable food.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Still wish there was a machine we could feed a bunch of fish or plants into and it all gets processed into those Nutrient blocks that the lifepod has.

Also, I've seen surprisingly little talk of the PRAWN Exo suits so far. Has no one gotten around to building one yet?

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Still wish there was a machine we could feed a bunch of fish or plants into and it all gets processed into those Nutrient blocks that the lifepod has.

Also, I've seen surprisingly little talk of the PRAWN Exo suits so far. Has no one gotten around to building one yet?

They're decently fun so far, I need to play a bit more with them. They really nailed the feel of you being in a suit though with the animations and sounds.

Here's what I do know on details for it:

The Drilling arm basically gives you access to a ton more resources. Everything you can mine will drop around 6-8 items of whatever it is if you mine it all out. Doesn't take that long either.
The Claw arm punches like a mofo and the Exosuit has insane hp. Taking a couple of full charge zaps from the electric eels barely did anything to it's HP and welding it up from 85 or so took about twice as long as it does the seamoth.
The claw arm also picks stuff up, but it's a little slow and janky (because you're in a suit, it's a good slow jankyness.) It directly deposits it into the Exosuits personal storage bin though.
I have the Grappling arm blueprint but I need to find something to make the poly-whatever material it needs. Main concern about the arms is that the drill arm can't pick up stuff, so I'm curious if the claw arm is the only thing that can. That kind of limits your arm options.

Speaking of, you can only install ONE storage module on the exosuit and have it take effect. I tried a few different configurations but you only get one storage module added on to the built in storage, for a total of like, 5x6 storage space IIRC (up from something like 4x5?)
Base dive depth is 900 meters, that's a lot.
Instead of having a solar recharge module it uses thermal energy instead. Haven't had any issue at all though since it rocks out with two power cells to start.
Base jump jets give you a decent amount of movement too, I have the module to buff them but that needs Sulphur.

Unlike the Seamoth it's kind of annoying to access the storage when it's docked to the cyclops because it's a storage 'backpack' and that's too high up to really reach.
Your exosuit lights are always on with no option to turn them off, but they're non-spolights so there's no reason to do that.
Finally, you can rename and recolor it at an Upgrade Station equipped Moonpool.

I need one more fragment in order to get the blueprint for a torpedo arm, but my guess is you'll have two general arm Exosuit loadouts: one for mining (drill arm and claw) one for exploring (grapple arm, claw/torpedo arm.)

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Aug 29, 2016

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

EponymousMrYar posted:

Unlike the Seamoth it's kind of annoying to access the storage when it's docked to the cyclops because it's a storage 'backpack' and that's too high up to really reach.

I could never reach my seamoth storage when that was docked in the cyclops either. But then I tended to put it on the higher up slots of the seamoth.

But yeah, we really, REALLY need some practical methods of accessing our personal vehichle inventories while they are docked on the Cyclops.

I'm sure the common pubbie answer to that is "You're just too lazy to undock it" or trying to spin terrible accessibility as realistic lowest bidder manufacturing.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I just got mine.

It's hella slow but it has a basic crush depth of 900 meters, so you can jump right off into the blood kelp and crash into the bottom no problem. it's way more durable than the seamoth and you can punch stuff if it gets in your face. Also comes with built in storage which can be expanded and it can grab stuff from the pilot seat, which makes it super good for resourcing expeditions, especially as it doesn't need much in the way of upgrades so you can probably stack a bunch of storage on it. It can actually climb out of a lot of places too with the jumpjets and I imagine the grapple will take it even further.

It's probably the best vehicle except possibly for the cyclops, cyclops is a good mobile base but the prawn is great for clomping around in exploring, it's slowness is also something of a nice gameplay thing because it makes navigating environments very different, you can't just fly past everything.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
So what's the deal with these "big versions" of the existing resources? Are they a glitch or something else?

Cling-Wrap Condom
Jul 23, 2015

I'm tryna get my peen touched, pants.

OwlFancier posted:

robot poo poo

How's it hold up against them bitey mouthboys?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Three-Phase posted:

So what's the deal with these "big versions" of the existing resources? Are they a glitch or something else?

Judging by the update video they're for the PRAWN suit to grind up with its mining attachment arm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_IuAapLVYc

Whiirrr
Feb 14, 2006

Soiled Meat

Brick Dust Otis posted:

How's it hold up against them bitey mouthboys?

They only do like 15-20% damage at a time. So, you can swing off them with your grappling hook if you get bored.

Cling-Wrap Condom
Jul 23, 2015

I'm tryna get my peen touched, pants.

Whiirrr posted:

They only do like 15-20% damage at a time. So, you can swing off them with your grappling hook if you get bored.

This might be the cure to my constant terror of being attacked by a reaper.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Can the Prawn fistfight a Reaper?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
You can't kill death.

(For real I don't think you can, nothing does enough damage before it murders you.)