Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Backhand posted:

Leon's one liners are all completely horrible, but they are horrible in an entertaining way. He's just so earnest in his attempts to be a badass action hero.

"Your right hand comes off?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

"Where's everybody going? Bingo?"

Serious Frolicking posted:

leon's quips were terrible but that didn't matter thanks to the endless comedy of his daily life. just wrecked vehicles and ada stringing him along all day every day.
I'm so glad someone else has noticed Leon's terrible record with vehicles; planes, trains and automobiles, all get destroyed one way or another once Mr. Scott Kennedy enters the vicinity, whether or not he's at the controls. Ada notices as much in RE4 if you check the destroyed bulldozer during Separate Ways.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

"Where's everybody going? Bingo?"

Everyone's like 'you're right hand comes off lololol' but this is his legit best line.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

I like how Leon's first instinct when initially meeting with Bitores "Big Cheese" Mendez was to try and loving kick him. Sure Leon, go ahead, get into a melee brawl with the unnaturally pale 8ft bald guy. It's not like the last death-toned chrome-headed giant in a longcoat you met wasn't a hulking behemoth of mutated teeth and claws underneath or anything like that.

I'm amazed that Leon even survives his missions with an approach like that, never mind accomplishes them (although it could be argued that Ada is a fairly important factor in the former).

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
The best part is that Mendez completely thrashes Leon 3 times out of 4 encounters. Storywise he's actually the one who gave Leon the most trouble and came the closest to stopping him.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

Everyone's like 'you're right hand comes off lololol' but this is his legit best line.

"Saddler, you're small time."

Great comeback there, Leon.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

SettingSun posted:

That's my favorite line in 4.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Pureauthor posted:

The best part is that Mendez completely thrashes Leon 3 times out of 4 encounters. Storywise he's actually the one who gave Leon the most trouble and came the closest to stopping him.
Which brings us back to Ada saving his life. Again.

Leon's just one lucky bastard.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Which brings us back to Ada saving his life. Again.

Leon's just one lucky bastard.

Doesn't the fact he's been plaga'd save him from Mendez basically every time?

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Fil5000 posted:

Doesn't the fact he's been plaga'd save him from Mendez basically every time?
Not really.

First time -- Nope. Not even plaga'd before this.
Second time -- Yep, but with a warning that next time Leon misbehaves he'll just kill him regardless.
Third time -- Nope, Ada saves him here.
Fourth time -- Well, we all know what happens here.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Mendez is basically the huge henchmen that gets the hero in an inescapable chokehold and just as the hero is about to pass out the bad guy throws him across the room for no or a poor reason, allowing them to fight for real/escape.

Kibayasu fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Aug 25, 2016

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Anonymous Robot posted:

Odds on the spooky swamp house secretly having a hi-tech sterile lab underneath it?
They need to make a RE game with a bright and airy hi-tech mansion, like if Steve Jobs designed a house, which has a secret spooky moldy basement underneath it.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

SettingSun posted:

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Well, the ESRB rating for Resident Evil 7 leaked. I'll link it so you don't get spoilers.
Here you go.

If you were worried about there being no combat it looks like we'll be getting pistols, shotguns, grenades, flamethrower, and a chainsaw. It never really occurred to me they've done three games in a row with chainsaw wielding mid-bosses and never actually made that a weapon available to the player.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

But the demo didn't have any of those things! I refuse to believe the full game has combat because a 45 minute long demo didn't. That's just Crapcom blowing smoke up our asses.

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

Huh, that ESRB thing is also the first time we've heard about the gist of the storyline right? I'm glad the area we'll be exploring is that :)

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

The Dark Id posted:

Well, the ESRB rating for Resident Evil 7 leaked. I'll link it so you don't get spoilers.
Here you go.
[/spoiler]

Can't wait for all the f**ks and sh*ts!

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

smuh posted:

Huh, that ESRB thing is also the first time we've heard about the gist of the storyline right? I'm glad the area we'll be exploring is that :)

So what was the other trailer we saw? Another demo? I mean, it sounds cool I guess. But I'm skeptical as poo poo right now.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
at last, a re protagonist shall master shovel-fu!

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Wonder how long the game is

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Mogomra posted:

So what was the other trailer we saw? Another demo? I mean, it sounds cool I guess. But I'm skeptical as poo poo right now.

Another character? A cutscene from the wife's pov? Maybe a mysterious tape shows up at the husband's and that's how he knows where to look?

I'm not saying buy into hype but come on. Not everything is going to be No Man's Sky.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Len posted:

Another character? A cutscene from the wife's pov? Maybe a mysterious tape shows up at the husband's and that's how he knows where to look?

I'm not saying buy into hype but come on. Not everything is going to be No Man's Sky.

I'm not saying the games gonna be poo poo, I just think that imgur screenshot seems a bit sketchy.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
there was always going to be combat in the game. a confirmation of what everyone already knows is very suspicious!

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

I just really hope there's a sanitized bright white laboratory in the game you walk through after hours of film grain

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Serious Frolicking posted:

there was always going to be combat in the game. a confirmation of what everyone already knows is very suspicious!

But there wasn't combat in the demo that I watched pewds scream over on youtube

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

You can check the ESRB website to see stuff they rated. RE7 isn't there so either it was up or pulled or that is fake.

I wouldn't be surprised if it is real though.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
It was straight from ESRB's website before they pulled it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

It's a false flag operation. Capcom had them rate a fake game and then after that leaked they resubmitted RE7 with no combat that way people buy it expecting one thing and get another.

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

Mogomra posted:

It was a 'videotape level' which I'd guess are ones that are just random people in random places trying to survive. I wouldn't be surprised if they focused most of the horror parts into those and the main game was more action-heavy.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

smuh posted:

It was a 'videotape level' which I'd guess are ones that are just random people in random places trying to survive. I wouldn't be surprised if they focused most of the horror parts into those and the main game was more action-heavy.

Sounds a bit like the memories in janky Euro-FPS Cryostasis, weird visual effects and all. Actually that game was really atmospheric so not a bad source for inspiration.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I hope Remake2 has crimson heads.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
If the next RE had the melee from 5 and the controls from 6 i'd be happy, though that would make the characters pretty OP.

Len posted:

I hope Remake2 has crimson heads.

The station already gets restocked with zombies, though this happens when you're pretty close to being done with RPD anyway.

I wonder if they'll make the BOW gas do anything useful in the remake.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I hope they at least put in a better reward in that laboratory vault that required you to register finger prints for both Clair and Leon to open.

In the original all I think that was in there was a machine gun clip or something equally useless.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Vakal posted:

I hope they at least put in a better reward in that laboratory vault that required you to register finger prints for both Clair and Leon to open.

In the original all I think that was in there was a machine gun clip or something equally useless.

I think it gives you a SMG if you didn't have one.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

Panzeh posted:

If the next RE had the melee from 5 and the controls from 6 i'd be happy, though that would make the characters pretty OP.

Wait, what did 5's melee have that 6's didn't have? Aside from the fact that you're restricted by your stamina, 6's melee is better and more useful in all situations than 5's melee. I especially found myself missing the ability to counter enemy melee attacks when I went back to 5.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Son Ryo posted:

Wait, what did 5's melee have that 6's didn't have? Aside from the fact that you're restricted by your stamina, 6's melee is better and more useful in all situations than 5's melee. I especially found myself missing the ability to counter enemy melee attacks when I went back to 5.

RE5's melee was waaay more intuitive and the characters had more attacks, though granted Chris and Sheva had weak movesets overall. The kneecap shots into melee moves, or the shoulder shots into melee are not present in RE6. With 6 it's counterattack or headshot, basically.

Mr. Sunabouzu
Nov 13, 2009

The face of true terror.
Hey i'm trying to win a bet, has Chris Redfield ever cracked a joke or smiled once in this entire series?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Mr. Sunabouzu posted:

Hey i'm trying to win a bet, has Chris Redfield ever cracked a joke or smiled once in this entire series?

"Do you get all your lines from comic book villains?"

Hes got nothing on Leon though.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

Panzeh posted:

RE5's melee was waaay more intuitive and the characters had more attacks, though granted Chris and Sheva had weak movesets overall. The kneecap shots into melee moves, or the shoulder shots into melee are not present in RE6. With 6 it's counterattack or headshot, basically.

They don't have unique animations, but shooting an enemy in the leg can make him kneel for a knockdown attack just like if he's been hit by a flash grenade, and if you shoot a zombie in the arm he'll turn around so you can do the 'stealth' finisher on him. Aside from that, you have the dash attack, the back attack, the slide, multiple contextual melee attacks both when enemies are stunned and when they're not, including being near a ledge and holding weapons/having weapons imbedded in them, variants of these depending on what firearm or melee weapon you're using... I could go on.

EDIT: I'll definitely give you 5's being more intuitive, though.

Son Ryo fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Aug 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Mr. Sunabouzu posted:

He makes fun of Jessica a bit in the snow-cave level in Revelations, and he's in a pretty good mood when he finds Claire in CV.