Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
hey if anyone hears something about community health systems let me know. they took away our free sodas at work and I'm getting a little worried

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

Demon Of The Fall posted:

hey if anyone hears something about community health systems let me know. they took away our free sodas at work and I'm getting a little worried

lol

"muh sodas!" - a goon :btroll:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Germstore posted:

I don't know if I could do a better job. I'd probably just run around yelling "shut it down! shut it all down!" but perhaps that is the correct answer.

i was insinuating that doing nothing would have been better than anything he did.

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka

Germstore posted:

I don't know if I could do a better job. I'd probably just run around yelling "shut it down! shut it all down!" but perhaps that is the correct answer.

Could you? Going getting my 54% on unemployment for the next 6-9 months would be extremely my poo poo

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka
My only real hope is that Eddie ramps up the robber baroning and downsizes the company to a single store in Wichita

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

PallasAthene posted:

I went into Wal-Mart to get some bandannas one time, and the women's section didn't have regular red and blue ones. (It was all pastel colors) So I asked an employee if they had them, and he told me that Wal-Mart didn't carry red and blue ones because they're gang colors. Then I passed through the men's section and found the standard red and blue ones with all the Dickies and belts and work gloves. I always assume their bosses must really treat them like poo poo when customers complain for them to lie about such trivial stuff rather than say "We're out," or even "Hell, I dunno, but you can look all around the clothing section."

I had something similar this morning.

I went to a Walmart that opens up at 7am. I got there at 7:15 to buy a game console. I asked, no exaggeration, seven different employees to ring me up and every one of them told me "I can't". No follow up after that. Just "I can't".

The seventh one told me "I think the guy in electronics comes in at 8, so you have to wait until then". I told her "but your store is open for business now" and she just walked away. She essentially told me, without a hint of irony, that I would have to stand there for 45 minutes if I wanted to buy it. She had no embarrassment about telling me this either.

I waltzed around the store and finally found someone who is allowed to ring up electronics. And the fact that he was there annoyed me even more, because that last girl had no qualms about me standing there for 45 minutes, all the while the person who could ring me up was there the whole time. She was willing to make me stand there for 45 minutes so she didn't have to take 30 seconds to see if that guy was in the store.

And I'm barely even miffed at her specifically. It was almost in a spiteful way, like she wouldn't want Walmart to get the impression that they're going to get anything resembling helpful employees at the wages they are paying.

That's probably the same reason you got the bandana excuse. Subconsciously making sure customers hate that place too.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

how the gently caress people continue to shop at Walmart is beyond me. It is consistently the most miserable store, employee and customer alike every time I'm in one. Sure things are 'cheaper', but literally by cents since they don't end their prices in .99, they never have sales so while things are marginally cheaper you're not getting a good price AND the truly cheap poo poo is bottom of the barrel lowest quality Chinese loving plastic junk

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

kazr posted:

how the gently caress people continue to shop at Walmart is beyond me. It is consistently the most miserable store, employee and customer alike every time I'm in one. Sure things are 'cheaper', but literally by cents since they don't end their prices in .99, they never have sales so while things are marginally cheaper you're not getting a good price AND the truly cheap poo poo is bottom of the barrel lowest quality Chinese loving plastic junk

Momentum.

naem
May 29, 2011

Aren't there towns where Walmart is now the only store?

Like the tire place and oil change place and optometrist and book/music/electronics/grocery stores all went out of business

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

The city council in the town I grew up in actively fights to keep Walmart from building a store there lol

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord

naem posted:

Like the tire place and oil change place and optometrist and book/music/electronics/grocery stores all went out of business

i live in a metro-area town with a population of about 100,000 people and wal mart is our towns largest non-government employer. the school district is actually #1, but walmart is close behind employing almost 2,000 people. and three out of the four walmarts in town have full service optometry centers, automotive centers, outdoor equipment, loving LUMBERYARDS and shitloads of other things. the fourth one is an exception because it has an actual 24/7 emergency clinic in it.

think about that for a sec. at least one doctor capable of providing emergency and lifesaving medical procedures works at WAL MART in my town.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

4 loving Walmarts. My god

naem
May 29, 2011

Iron Prince posted:

i live in a metro-area town with a population of about 100,000 people and wal mart is our towns largest non-government employer. the school district is actually #1, but walmart is close behind employing almost 2,000 people. and three out of the four walmarts in town have full service optometry centers, automotive centers, outdoor equipment, loving LUMBERYARDS and shitloads of other things. the fourth one is an exception because it has an actual 24/7 emergency clinic in it.

Welcome to costco Walmart, I love you

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

naem posted:

Good. If that town was such a poo poo hole then I'm glad it's confined to just one store now.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

kazr posted:

The city council in the town I grew up in actively fights to keep Walmart from building a store there lol

Not a town but all of NYC's five boroughs do not allow Wal-Marts to do business there.

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord

kazr posted:

4 loving Walmarts. My god

yep we got 2 in the "old town" and 2 more that sprung up in the past 3 years or so to service the new booming part town closer to the city. All of them have their parking lots full drat near 24/7 too

naem
May 29, 2011

Solice Kirsk posted:

Good. If that town was such a poo poo hole then I'm glad it's confined to just one store now.

What about quaint small towns with nice local shops owned by families for generations like in a Charlie Brown Christmas special because they destroyed that too

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

kazr posted:

It always amuses me when people look at how things are for them local, and think it applies to the whole goddamn country.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Where do you think Walmart shoppers come from? Where do they go after? Unsolved mysteries

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

naem posted:

What about quaint small towns with nice local shops owned by families for generations like in a Charlie Brown Christmas special because they destroyed that too

Those stores had terrible prices, terrible hours, terrible selection, were dirty and dark and unpleasant to be in, and the sweet old couple who ran the place would refuse to sell things to minorities or unwed mothers or that trash family that lives at the bottom of the hill.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Solice Kirsk posted:

Real question for all these urban chic goons. Do you want everyone to live in one city? Or 5 whatever

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

I had something similar this morning.

I went to a Walmart that opens up at 7am. I got there at 7:15 to buy a game console. I asked, no exaggeration, seven different employees to ring me up and every one of them told me "I can't". No follow up after that. Just "I can't".

The seventh one told me "I think the guy in electronics comes in at 8, so you have to wait until then". I told her "but your store is open for business now" and she just walked away. She essentially told me, without a hint of irony, that I would have to stand there for 45 minutes if I wanted to buy it. She had no embarrassment about telling me this either.

I waltzed around the store and finally found someone who is allowed to ring up electronics. And the fact that he was there annoyed me even more, because that last girl had no qualms about me standing there for 45 minutes, all the while the person who could ring me up was there the whole time. She was willing to make me stand there for 45 minutes so she didn't have to take 30 seconds to see if that guy was in the store.

And I'm barely even miffed at her specifically. It was almost in a spiteful way, like she wouldn't want Walmart to get the impression that they're going to get anything resembling helpful employees at the wages they are paying.

That's probably the same reason you got the bandana excuse. Subconsciously making sure customers hate that place too.

This is what you're paying for. This is what you get. Why are you surprised?

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Not a town but all of NYC's five boroughs do not allow Wal-Marts to do business there.

Good, local government should try to maintain quality of life.

The big thing to remember is that Walmart actually does not help you save money. They sell you cheap poo poo at $X that needs to be replaced every year when you could buy a real, lasting product for $3X.

Walmart costs you more money than buying real products does.

Apr 7, 2003

Johnny Aztec posted:

It always amuses me when people look at how things are for them local, and think it applies to the whole goddamn country.

The same exact model TV at walmart and at Best Buy have nothing in common, because Walmart forces their suppliers to start separate production lines and so on to meet their prices. Rubber Dick Model X1 at Best Buy is a completely different product than Rubber Dick Model X1 at Walmart.

Walmart knows this and exploits that, by yelling "YOU CAN GET IT HERE FOR LESS"

Except you aren't getting it for less, you're getting a shittier product for more than it's worth.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016
Welcome to our Society. It is Capitalist in nature.

Will you be staying awhile? Is your visit for business or pleasure?

Apr 7, 2003

Cheating people isn't good, or normal, or admirable, and it should be called out.

Walmart cheats people.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Walmart puts less pickles in my pickle jar :argh:

Apr 7, 2003

Capitalist guy: Capitalism is cool because people who don't like a thing can vote with their dollars
Customer: Company X is hosed up and cheating you
capitalist guy: WELCOME TO CAPITALISM! WHY ARE YOU COMPLAINING? HOW LONG WILL YOU BE STAYING?

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Citizen Tayne posted:

Capitalist guy: Capitalism is cool because people who don't like a thing can vote with their dollars
capitalist guy: WELCOME TO CAPITALISM! WHY ARE YOU COMPLAINING? HOW LONG WILL YOU BE STAYING?

point to where the capitalist touched you, and also where this even happened

Apr 7, 2003

By telling people that Walmart sucks, and not shopping there, i am voting with my dollars and encouraging other people to vote with their dollars. That's the most capitalist thing possible.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016
good job?

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord
just to continue the derail, i live in that as stated town iwth 100k people and 4 walmarts and there's still plenty of small businesses and local shops. YMMV i guess :shrug:

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Citizen Tayne posted:

Except that in places like NYC, which you support, you aren't allowing people a chance to vote with their dollars. I vote with mine and rarely go to most of those stores because they don't have the products I buy.

Apr 7, 2003

Thank you

Apr 7, 2003

Cliff Racer posted:

Except that in places like NYC, which you support, you aren't allowing people a chance to vote with their dollars. I vote with mine and rarely go to most of those stores because they don't have the products I buy.

NYC government doesn't allow people to guzzle lead in their drinking water, they don't allow people to burn their poo poo in a barrel in their backyard, and they don't allow people to shop at Walmart. What's the problem?

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Iron Prince posted:

just to continue the derail, i live in that as stated town iwth 100k people and 4 walmarts and there's still plenty of small businesses and local shops. YMMV i guess :shrug:

to derail the derail

go loving dig son of xie, breaker of wrists

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Darth123123 posted:

Real question for all these urban chic goons. Do you want everyone to live in one city? Or 5 whatever

I think one huge city with everyone in the US living in it would be cool. The only bad thing would they'd probably vote the loving Cowboys and Yankees as the only sports teams.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
To be fair to Wal-Mart employees:

The pay is bad. The hours are bad. The turnover is bad.

If you put an unauthorized out of order sign on something that is out if order and a hazard to operate a supervisor might get angry at you for violating national policy which risks the store getting fined by corporate! So just wait for a manager to get around to finding or making the sign.

Apr 7, 2003

Solice Kirsk posted:

I think one huge city with everyone in the US living in it would be cool. The only bad thing would they'd probably vote the loving Cowboys and Yankees as the only sports teams.

You mean the Steelers and the Pirates, right?

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Citizen Tayne posted:

The same exact model TV at walmart and at Best Buy have nothing in common, because Walmart forces their suppliers to start separate production lines and so on to meet their prices. Rubber Dick Model X1 at Best Buy is a completely different product than Rubber Dick Model X1 at Walmart.

Is there proof of this? I hear it often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003

I sometimes think about what shopping at Walmart must be like, ie, paying normal money for substandard stuff. It makes me feel bad for a minute, but then I laugh a lot.

Success means never having to step foot in a Walmart.