Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

mojo1701a posted:

I finally get to have a real honest-to-God vacation again after four years, and this time I'm travelling to the UK. I'm looking to actually go north up to Scotland and take a distillery tour, and I've heard that some tours are better than others. Is there a legit list of the best tours to take? I'm looking to go sometime in October, if that helps.

Three tours i've done:
Dalwhinnie - Tiny distillery in a very remote, desolate location, good tour, but they do a weird chocolate/whisky tasting pairing, which didn't work for me.
Macallan - Very in-depth but quite corporate, very knowledgable guide and a HUGE distillery.
Glenmorangie - Paid for the upgraded(signet?) tour, and we were the only 2 on it. Tour was very good, with lots of tastings and a good guide. They took us to a private tasting room at the end where they give you a Signet, a 25yo and a standard bottling to taste. They also let us request any other Glenmorangies we'd like to taste.

These three tours were great for us as they were all very different, ranging from small to medium to Huge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

mojo1701a posted:

I finally get to have a real honest-to-God vacation again after four years, and this time I'm travelling to the UK. I'm looking to actually go north up to Scotland and take a distillery tour, and I've heard that some tours are better than others. Is there a legit list of the best tours to take? I'm looking to go sometime in October, if that helps.

The Glendronach Connoisseurs Experience is well worth the money, http://glendronachdistillery.co.uk/visitor-centre/
Glenfarclas is also a nice tour http://www.glenfarclas.co.uk/en/pages/18,Visit-Glenfarclas.html
Springbank is a very good tour although it's almost as out of the way as going to Islay http://www.springbankwhisky.com/tours/
If you are on Islay then everyone does a decent tour, but my favourite is probably Bowmore http://www.bowmore.com/visit-us/
Others that are reputed to be good but I can't vouch for them as I haven't done them are Balvenie & Aberlour.

Yithian
Jun 19, 2005

I enjoyed the Glenkinchie tour if you're going to be near Edinburgh.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Yithian posted:

I enjoyed the Glenkinchie tour if you're going to be near Edinburgh.

That actually might be more up my alley, because I'm still trying to figure out the best way to travel up north (I'm still going to Poland for a week for a wedding, so I have to work that in somehow).

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

A little more travel involved in getting to Islay, but worth it.

My wife and I stayed on the island for a few days at the start of our last trip to Europe and it was a great way to wind down. I only did the tour at Laphroaig but it was very enjoyable. Paid extra to do the tasting flight and they brought out some very nice drams - from memory it was the 25yo, 18yo, one of the Cairdeas and a small bottle of something I can't quite remember.

We also visited Bowmore, Ardbeg, Lagavulin and Caol Ila. Took the ferry across to Jura as well.

That being said, if you're not into Peated whisky, you may not enjoy it as much.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
Islay is a bit of a trek but highly worth it if you like peaty scotch. The Laphroaig Water to Whisky tour is fantastic, definitely the highlight of my trip there.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Mr. Glass posted:

Islay is a bit of a trek but highly worth it if you like peaty scotch. The Laphroaig Water to Whisky tour is fantastic, definitely the highlight of my trip there.

I am definitely a fan of peaty scotches, and that is definitely a consideration.

I'm starting to think I should start a "what to see/how to travel in the UK" thread, instead of here. Still, keep the recommendations coming!

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

"C'mon! Let's tune our weapons!"
Impulse-bought a half-bottle of Fighting Cock today to try.

I was supposed to be shopping for my wife's birthday present.

Whoops. :)

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Distorted Kiwi posted:

Impulse-bought a half-bottle of Fighting Cock today to try.

I was supposed to be shopping for my wife's birthday present.

Whoops. :)

"Here, Dear: half of a half bottle of Fighting Cock!"

I bet her panties just melt off.

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

DerekSmartymans posted:

"Here, Dear: half of a half bottle of Fighting Cock!"

I bet her panties just melt off.

Ahh, I got her some fancy tea and I'm going back for hand-made chocolates closer to the day. Was going to buy her a nice teacup, only to discover the price of good china makes whisky look tame.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Distorted Kiwi posted:

Ahh, I got her some fancy tea and I'm going back for hand-made chocolates closer to the day. Was going to buy her a nice teacup, only to discover the price of good china makes whisky look tame.

I broke a plate from my mother's china last Christmas. I told her I'd replace it because it was my fault, not because I'm independently wealthy.

Cost me $240 on eBay and that included a butter dish I didn't even need. I'll eat off paper plates from now on, Mom, thanks :11tea:

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Distorted Kiwi posted:

Impulse-bought a half-bottle of Fighting Cock

Did you buy it from a hobo?

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

wormil posted:

Did you buy it from a hobo?

Nope, but I did get a paper bag for free. I'll open it in an alley tonight.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Distorted Kiwi posted:

Nope, but I did get a paper bag for free. I'll open it in an alley tonight.

:chanpop:

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

Well, I dispensed with an alley, and tried it while making a baked pasta instead.

That's a feel-the-burn Bourbon, all right. More heat than spice, but made for a pretty full-bodied drink with some good Ginger Beer.

Good on the rocks after dinner as well. Happy with my purchase.

And I still have 24 hours to source an actual present for the wife!

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
It's not a whiskey, but does anyone know how to get Romanian Tuica in the US? I cannot for the life of me find it anywhere.

Specifically Romanian Tuica, not a similar spirit.

americong
May 29, 2013

Was browsing the Costco liquor store, came across a $10/750mL bottle of brandy, am miraculously enjoying it a lot

What I'm trying to say is, any recommendations for fruit-based brown spirits?

I'm also nursing a bottle of Laphroaig Select, will grab the 10 when that's through with

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

americong posted:

Was browsing the Costco liquor store, came across a $10/750mL bottle of brandy, am miraculously enjoying it a lot

I'm also nursing a bottle of Laphroaig Select, will grab the 10 when that's through with

I use Hennessy VS Cognac as a high-quality mixer with good ginger ale. I later discovered it was something James Bond drank in one of the Fleming novels. (Because he was at an airport bar, that would have made a terrible martini)

VSOP cognac is a great sipper, but things go crazy once you hit the XO level. A bottle of Hennessy XO will set you back NZ$300-ish at the moment. Yeah, nah.

There's also plenty of excellent oak-aged rums on the market these days, which make a nice change from whisky. 12-yo Appleton Estate has been my sipping rum for quite some time.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

PRADA SLUT posted:

It's not a whiskey, but does anyone know how to get Romanian Tuica in the US? I cannot for the life of me find it anywhere.

Specifically Romanian Tuica, not a similar spirit.

Liquor Barn, despite the name, has a ridiculously huge variety of Slavic brandies including this: http://www.theliquorbarn.com/tuica-slivovitz-1l/

You may want to call them up and see if it's what you're looking for.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"

Stultus Maximus posted:

Liquor Barn, despite the name, has a ridiculously huge variety of Slavic brandies including this: http://www.theliquorbarn.com/tuica-slivovitz-1l/

You may want to call them up and see if it's what you're looking for.

I live in Louisville, so I can also check it out the barn if you need. Its name is dumb but it has a huge selection.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Last year, I got a sample of McCarthy's, and I liked it. Anyone here drink it? Will probably pick up a bottle of this in the fall.

americong
May 29, 2013

Distorted Kiwi posted:

I use Hennessy VS Cognac as a high-quality mixer with good ginger ale. I later discovered it was something James Bond drank in one of the Fleming novels. (Because he was at an airport bar, that would have made a terrible martini)

VSOP cognac is a great sipper, but things go crazy once you hit the XO level. A bottle of Hennessy XO will set you back NZ$300-ish at the moment. Yeah, nah.

There's also plenty of excellent oak-aged rums on the market these days, which make a nice change from whisky. 12-yo Appleton Estate has been my sipping rum for quite some time.

Ooh, I'll try the first one as soon as I get a chance.

I'll wait on expensive bottles of *anything* until/unless I develop an actual palate.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Planet X posted:

Last year, I got a sample of McCarthy's, and I liked it. Anyone here drink it? Will probably pick up a bottle of this in the fall.

It's good. Simple combo of peat and pine, which is a nice nod to the region. I find that peated whiskies are enjoyable even if they aren't complex.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
So hi, Whisk(e)y thread, I've spent a while reading through (all of) this, and tried some stuff that's been mentioned, all of which has been solid. Starting as someone who used to stick to Irish stuff, Laphroig (at Costco!) took a bit to get used to but grew on me rapidly, Russel's Reserve was great, Eagle Rare is good too (still working on it) and the Lagavulin I had at a restaurant was amazing... but I can't really afford it. Or Laphroig either. Any good advice for things with those sort of notes that are worth trying for, let's be frank, cheap?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

americong posted:

Carriage House apple brandy, delicious.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

mekilljoydammit posted:

So hi, Whisk(e)y thread, I've spent a while reading through (all of) this, and tried some stuff that's been mentioned, all of which has been solid. Starting as someone who used to stick to Irish stuff, Laphroig (at Costco!) took a bit to get used to but grew on me rapidly, Russel's Reserve was great, Eagle Rare is good too (still working on it) and the Lagavulin I had at a restaurant was amazing... but I can't really afford it. Or Laphroig either. Any good advice for things with those sort of notes that are worth trying for, let's be frank, cheap?

You typically aren't going to find something peaty like Lagavulin or Laphroaig that's cheaper than Laphroaig 10. JW Black might fill that hole and it's a bit less expensive, especially at Costco. There are a few other "peat" blends that might be a few $ cheaper than froggy, but I doubt they'll be nearly as good as it.

If you liked the Russell's Reserve and Eagle Rare and you want something similar to those at a lower price, grab the next-step-down from the same distilleries and try those - Wild Turkey 101 and Buffalo Trace respectively. Another good bourbon at that price range is Four Roses Small Batch.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Deceptive Thinker posted:

You typically aren't going to find something peaty like Lagavulin or Laphroaig that's cheaper than Laphroaig 10. JW Black might fill that hole and it's a bit less expensive, especially at Costco. There are a few other "peat" blends that might be a few $ cheaper than froggy, but I doubt they'll be nearly as good as it.

Ardbeg 10 is a few $ cheaper here, but not really enough to make a difference if one prefers Laphroaig. I have a problem where looking at the $50ish range of bottles (in VA) inevitably reminds me that Uigedail is like $20 more and I really like it. Then I remember I can go into MD and get Ardbeg 10 for $43 or Uigedail for $60. Laphroaig 10 is $40 right now.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

ChickenArise posted:

Then I remember I can go into MD and get... . Laphroaig 10 is $40 right now.

Where? I'm in MD and love Laphroaig

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

I got a bottle of HP12 and have decided I just don't like it. The first few sips of a glass are pretty good, but he more I drink of it the more the smoke and lemon flavors fade, and the heather takes over. It winds up tasting like wet grass / vegetation. On the other hand, I've got a bottle of Caol Ila that 12 I'm loving. Far more smoke / meat / tar, way less vegetation.

Can anyone throw some advice / recommendations may way regarding peat? What make the HP so much grassier? Any recommendations for something with more smoke, less grass?

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Deceptive Thinker posted:

Bowmore legend exists and was really cheap when I tried it, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. Some people seem to like it for the price though

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Oh well, I thought I may have been dreaming the impossible dream re: Scotch. WT101 was next on the list though. Suppose I'll have to save further adventures in Scotch for after I get some stuff paid off.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Planet X posted:

Where? I'm in MD and love Laphroaig

Montgomery County, primarily. http://www2.montgomerycountymd.gov/dlcsearch/ check sales and prices before you go.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!
Have you tried Finlaggan? My understanding is that it's bottled from second-quality casks of one of the Islay distilleries, maybe Ardbeg (although I have heard Laphroaig as well). It could even just be whatever Islay whisky they can get that week. For $25 or so at Trader Joe's, it's a steal.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Jo3sh posted:

Have you tried Finlaggan? My understanding is that it's bottled from second-quality casks of one of the Islay distilleries, maybe Ardbeg (although I have heard Laphroaig as well). It could even just be whatever Islay whisky they can get that week. For $25 or so at Trader Joe's, it's a steal.

And that means I may have to hit Trader Joe's this weekend because no, I haven't.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!
They don't always have it, at least not at the TJ's by me, so don't have your heart completely set on it. I'd personally just keep my eye out for it next time I was there, rather than making a special trip.

I may have to pick up a bottle myself even though I am in no way low on Scotch.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

It's more of an "oh hey, an excuse!" thing.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

I haven't seen or heard of Finlaggen, but Trader Joe's also has this "Islay Storm" thing that's along the same lines. But yeah, it's a lot easier to find drinkable bourbon at <$30 than scotch.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Jo3sh posted:

Scuttlebutt is that it's very young Lagavulin. I have a bottle and it's definitely worth the money.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
I know this is really open ended, but I'm leaving my department, and I want to give my direct report a bottle of scotch on my last day tomorrow. He's totally new to it, so maybe something mid spectrum. I can look, but figured I'd ask.

Balvenie Double Wood? I don't want to smoke him out with Laphroaig, but any suggestions would be great. I had a Ledaig that was nice last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

Planet X posted:

I know this is really open ended, but I'm leaving my department, and I want to give my direct report a bottle of scotch on my last day tomorrow. He's totally new to it, so maybe something mid spectrum. I can look, but figured I'd ask.

Balvenie Double Wood? I don't want to smoke him out with Laphroaig, but any suggestions would be great. I had a Ledaig that was nice last year.

Balvenie DW is one of those easy going sweet scotchs. I got a DW12, Carrib Cask 14, DW17 taster pack from my wife and loved all them. The 17 was, of course, the best with a longer more complex finish.

Would recommend.