Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Citizen Tayne posted:

You mean the Steelers and the Pirates, right?

If I had my way is be the Bears and Blackhawks. But in a city of cities situation, I don't think Pittsburg or Chicago would have much of a chance. Maybe the Cubs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Tallgeese posted:

Is there proof of this? I hear it often.

There was some discussion about it in the Schwinn piece about how Walmart nearly destroyed them. Can't find the article now (of course), but knowing that Walmart's overriding doctrine to their suppliers is to cut costs every year, it makes sense.

I did buy a Vizio TV at Walmart when I was poor as poo poo, and bought a comparable one at Costco two years later, and I can say the construction quality and materials are night and day. Anecdotal, but whatever.

Apr 7, 2003

Solice Kirsk posted:

If I had my way is be the Bears and Blackhawks. But in a city of cities situation, I don't think Pittsburg or Chicago would have much of a chance. Maybe the Cubs.

It's very brave to admit that you love losers

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Citizen Tayne posted:

I sometimes think about what shopping at Walmart must be like, ie, paying normal money for substandard stuff. It makes me feel bad for a minute, but then I laugh a lot.

Success means never having to step foot in a Walmart.

did wal mart rape your mother or something? they are a horrible company and i literally had nightmares from working there but i can recognize isolated instances where shopping there makes sense.

Apr 7, 2003

Fat Shat Sings posted:

did wal mart rape your mother or something? they are a horrible company and i literally had nightmares from working there but i can recognize isolated instances where shopping there makes sense.

Such as?

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Being on a road trip in the middle of Podunk, Nowhere and they're the only game in town. But that's just me.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

do you really need me to lay out every possible instance in which someone could possibly be served better by going to one company over another or are you just looking for specific things to flip out about

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Citizen Tayne posted:

It's very brave to admit that you love losers

Eh, the Blackhawks are one more cup win from being a dynasty. Could be considered one now too. Cubs have been on a good run last two seasons. The Bears.....well the Bears are only good every 20 years so we got another decade before we can make a run again. Or Ma McCaskey can die. One of the two.

Apr 7, 2003

Wamdoodle posted:

Being on a road trip in the middle of Podunk, Nowhere and they're the only game in town. But that's just me.

Let the other guy answer.

Apr 7, 2003

Fat Shat Sings posted:

do you really need me to lay out every possible instance in which someone could possibly be served better by going to one company over another or are you just looking for specific things to flip out about

You brought it up, man. Tell me where shopping at Walmart is superior. You're the expert. Go for it! lol

Apr 7, 2003

Fat Shat Sings posted:

i can recognize isolated instances where shopping there makes sense.

Go for it.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Citizen Tayne posted:

You brought it up, man. Tell me where shopping at Walmart is superior. You're the expert. Go for it! lol

well you see life isn't about black and white determinations buddy. Things like "Which company is best" is heavily dependent on location, circumstances, the consumer and the items involved!

If you want me to give you a million personal anecdotes about not living within 200 miles of a costco or whatever or waste my time giving every conceivable hypothetical I'm not going to do that, this isn't D&D and you are melting down for no reason

Apr 7, 2003

Fat Shat Sings posted:

well you see life isn't about black and white determinations buddy. Things like "Which company is best" is heavily dependent on location, circumstances, the consumer and the items involved!

If you want me to give you a million personal anecdotes about not living within 200 miles of a costco or whatever or waste my time giving every conceivable hypothetical I'm not going to do that, this isn't D&D and you are melting down for no reason

How highly did you place at Rio in Men's Backpedalling 500m?

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016
i dunno man, i'm torn between actually explaining it to you because you are so obtuse, or just refusing to and fueling your nuclear meltdown

Apr 7, 2003

Fat Shat Sings posted:

i dunno man, i'm torn between actually explaining it to you because you are so obtuse, or just refusing to and fueling your nuclear meltdown

You never told me about when shopping at Walmart makes sense.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016
to save myself some time, try this thought exercise

is it more plausible that

1) in 100% of all circumstances, ever, Wal Mart is the worst choice because you don't like them

or

2) Life is more complicated than that and hundreds of millions of people all over the world can generate circumstances you might not agree with

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Darth123123 posted:

Real question for all these urban chic goons. Do you want everyone to live in one city? Or 5 whatever

I believe there's already one city in the United States, it looks like this:

I've never been to Chicago, or Texas, or California, and I'm not entirely sure they actually exist. You can live a full life in that one city, you know. Every bit of America is there.

Apr 7, 2003

Fat Shat Sings posted:

to save myself some time, try this thought exercise

is it more plausible that

1) in 100% of all circumstances, ever, Wal Mart is the worst choice because you don't like them

or

2) Life is more complicated than that and hundreds of millions of people all over the world can generate circumstances you might not agree with

Holy poo poo, I've never seen goalposts fly off that quickly.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Not a town but all of NYC's five boroughs do not allow Wal-Marts to do business there.

That's interesting. When I lived in Arlington, VA (basically urban DC, right across the river from the monument district) I noticed there were no Wal-Marts and after some digging on Ye Olde Mapquest, found that there were none inside the beltway (I-495, VA side) at all. I dunno what the reason is, but apparently this is still the case.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I have family in Vermont where there are, I think 2 Wal-Marts and most everyone I know there wishes there were more. Quaint local businesses, while great for atmosphere suck for price and selection and pay their employees the same lovely wages they'd get at a national retailer, but without even rudimentary benefits.

I'm not saying they want their Main streets hallowed out by an all encompassing corporate big box, but they'd rather not pay $10 for a single pair of underwear and 20% more for groceries either. The people who were the biggest opponents of more big box retailers were newcomers or upper middle class residents.

Ofecks posted:

That's interesting. When I lived in Arlington, VA (basically urban DC, right across the river from the monument district) I noticed there were no Wal-Marts and after some digging on Ye Olde Mapquest, found that there were none inside the beltway (I-495, VA side) at all. I dunno what the reason is, but apparently this is still the case.

We stayed in D.C. last fall and I'm pretty sure we went to a Wal-Mart in the city. I don't know the area, but it was only a few miles from the Capitol neighborhood area and was urban enough to have an underground parking deck rather than a parking lot.

Krispy Wafer has a new favorite as of 06:14 on Aug 27, 2016

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Citizen Tayne posted:

There was some discussion about it in the Schwinn piece about how Walmart nearly destroyed them. Can't find the article now (of course), but knowing that Walmart's overriding doctrine to their suppliers is to cut costs every year, it makes sense.

I did buy a Vizio TV at Walmart when I was poor as poo poo, and bought a comparable one at Costco two years later, and I can say the construction quality and materials are night and day. Anecdotal, but whatever.

this is because visio tvs were steaming diarrhea garbage for years and years and not because Wal Mart Owns Sony And The Whole World you loving moron, hope this explains something for you

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

I BOUGHT A BAD TV ONCE THIS MEANS WAL MART IS BAD

I AM DUMB ENOUGH THAT I BOUGHT A BAD TV AGAIN, LIKE A MORON, AND IT WAS SLIGHTLY BETTER DUE TO THE INEXORABLE MARCH OF TECHNOLOGY, THIS MEANS COST CO IS GOOD AND I AM SMART

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Walmart is pretty lovely though TV stuff aside

I mean idk what else to call opening a megastore that directly competes with every single small business in an area then drastically undercutting prices to the point of questionably unfair business practices until everyone else is run out and then raising them back to normal, or paying its employees below the poverty line while advising them to get government assistance and doing their best to evade taxation on their billions of dollars in profit.

Also Alice Walton drives drunk and kills people.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

yeah for sure but lol at that dudes conspiracy theories

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
yea fair enough

PallasAthene
Dec 6, 2010

Why, vixen, have you again set the gods by the ears in the pride and haughtiness of your heart?
I think when I was younger, a lot of Wal-Mart's popularity was because of convenience. You could go to three or four smaller stores, or just grab groceries, school supplies, car supplies, and a raincoat all in one place. Now some of them are so understaffed that it's a toss-up between going there or finding a strip mall that has everything you need.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Johnny Aztec posted:

It always amuses me when people look at how things are for them local, and think it applies to the whole goddamn country.

all of the podunk towns in my state that i've been to have had more than just The One Walmart to shop at, big national chains that are 20x better imo. if you live in midwest 5k person town with a Walmart as the only place to buy your apples your prospects in all parts of life arent looking so great and it's probably time to bail

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

kazr posted:

all of the podunk towns in my state that i've been to have had more than just The One Walmart to shop at, big national chains that are 20x better imo. if you live in midwest 5k person town with a Walmart as the only place to buy your apples your prospects in all parts of life arent looking so great and it's probably time to bail

can you take your message of "just...stop doing it" public? you could revolutionize the lives of hundreds of millions around the world if they realized they could just change their circumstances.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

walmart is the embodiment of real life corporate dystopian hell and god drat it i'm going to voice my opinion on a dying comedy forum about it whether you like it or not cuz this is AMERICA

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016
thats fine, as long as you don't throw a hissy fit like the other guy that couldn't accept that yes, sometimes people live in places where they can only get things at wal mart.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Fat Shat Sings posted:

thats fine, as long as you don't throw a hissy fit like the other guy that couldn't accept that yes, sometimes people live in places where they can only get things at wal mart.

you have a broad understanding of what constitutes a "hissy fit"

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016
please explain, in laborious detail

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Citizen Tayne posted:

I sometimes think about what shopping at Walmart must be like, ie, paying normal money for substandard stuff. It makes me feel bad for a minute, but then I laugh a lot.

Success means never having to step foot in a Walmart.

Success means never setting foot on public transit...

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
I shopped at wal mart thursday. I bought a 5 quart jug of oil and unsweetened original almond milk. I mostly just walked around and looked at girls in booty shorts because summer is the best time of the year

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Citizen Tayne posted:

You never told me about when shopping at Walmart makes sense.

i shopped at Walmart because they were the only store within 100 miles that sold Kelly Kettles. they may not have been the only one, but they were the only one that bothered to tell me about it online.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Ryoshi posted:

I AM DUMB ENOUGH THAT I BOUGHT A BAD TV AGAIN, LIKE A MORON, AND IT WAS SLIGHTLY BETTER DUE TO THE INEXORABLE MARCH OF TECHNOLOGY, THIS MEANS COST CO IS GOOD AND I AM SMART

Nah they legit bought the bottom of the line electronics but made sure the name brand was on it. For examplr samsung would have a 46 inch hd tv with all the trimmings and specs listed. Best Buy,
HH. gregg, nebraska furniture mart etc. Would have it at say $600. Wal nart would have a samsung 44 inch, not found nearly anywhere else, that showcased some lf thr same stats but none of the features and asked $499.

I mean it's a different tv and if you dont care about the extras fine whatever, but they legit were different products and Walmart doesnt stock the good stuff. I suspect this goes beyond just tvs too.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

cheerfullydrab posted:

I believe there's already one city in the United States, it looks like this:

I've never been to Chicago, or Texas, or California, and I'm not entirely sure they actually exist. You can live a full life in that one city, you know. Every bit of America is there.

I'm not sure you can ever really live a "full life" in a place that has no good barbecue

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Something Awful LLC

Has anyone made that joke yet?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Ryoshi posted:

wal mart is objectively terrible. there's literally no debate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

More Walmart Chat: they almost killed Rubbermaid and now Rubbermaid doesn't come with lifetime warranties