Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Lizard Combatant posted:

I think that's a trend born out of bad choreography or directors (studios more likely) not able or willing to commit to the kind of precision you get from Hong Kong flicks. CA Civil War actually does have great choreography but they intentionally went for a chaotic style, which to me worked for the most part. Especially when they actually let the take roll. Lots of quick cuts and close ups usually means the fight scene didn't look great on the day. It's also much cheaper.

Cinema's all smoke and mirrors, upping the frame rate certainly removes a lot of the smoke which is most of the problem for me. A high frame rate kung fu movie could look incredible, if they nail it.

That ... makes a lot of sense, actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Bruce Lee was asked to slow down his moves because the camera couldn't capture them.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

I thought that story was apocryphal.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Lizard Combatant posted:

I think that's a trend born out of bad choreography or directors (studios more likely) not able or willing to commit to the kind of precision you get from Hong Kong flicks. CA Civil War actually does have great choreography but they intentionally went for a chaotic style, which to me worked for the most part. Especially when they actually let the take roll. Lots of quick cuts and close ups usually means the fight scene didn't look great on the day. It's also much cheaper.

Cinema's all smoke and mirrors, upping the frame rate certainly removes a lot of the smoke which is most of the problem for me. A high frame rate kung fu movie could look incredible, if they nail it.

Or to put it another way: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1PCtIaM_GQ

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Pro-click. Jackie Chan is the master of action.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I think the reason why The Hobbit looked like poo poo is because they insisted on a lower shutter speed. I think I remember Peter Jackson saying it looked "silky" and while it does look novel it makes it really hard to track movement in the frame without feeling a bit ill. While motion blur looks pretty good at lower framerates, there's a lesson to be learned from video games: the higher the framerate, the less motion blur is actually desirable. I think in order to work, high framerate cinematography needs to be used in conjunction with short shutter speed in order to decrease motion blur in each frame.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
I may be wrong but I think they used a 360° shutter which actually increases the blur.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Lizard Combatant posted:

I may be wrong but I think they used a 360° shutter which actually increases the blur.
Which was a pretty stupid decision but I guess at that point no one had really made a HFR movie. Someone had to try it.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

SwissCM posted:

Which was a pretty stupid decision but I guess at that point no one had really made a HFR movie. Someone had to try it.

Yeah, I mean they would have done a tone of camera tests and that's what Jackson liked, but I wasn't a fan of the results.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Lizard Combatant posted:

Yeah, I mean they would have done a tone of camera tests and that's what Jackson liked, but I wasn't a fan of the results.

Once the independent scene gets a hold of cameras capable of this, that's when we'll see it done well just in time for big names to realise what they did to make it work and transfer it to cinema.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
It's a shame they didn't shoot The Hobbit at 24 and do post 3D as so many technical hurdles came up.

24fps hides many smoke and mirror effects so at 48 suddenly prosthetics and sets look horridly cheap even if they are made by some of the best people in the industry. I think it's why The Hobbit films have that fantasy grade over them as it's trying to soften the issues present. They try to pass it off as "the films are set in a golden time".

There also was the issue of having to compensate for loss of saturation so everything on set was painted in a slightly sickly tone to compensate. I did hear through the grapevine that Andrew Lesnie was quite fed up with having all of these technicalities in the way and having to rely on people operating the cameras remotely that he never really felt like he was shooting the film.

Plus HFR added twice the amount of work in post as you're animating everything at 48 frames not 24 so you can't really cheat as much. On top of that the workload at WETA was utterly insane. Sometimes not helped by instances when the second unit director's utter faith in the ability to fix it in post hit reality.
Being pushed up against a deadline meant shots with an errant light passing past someone's hair facilitated having to re-do the whole hair in 3D whereas the shot was meant to be a simple composite. That is not cheap on time and manpower.

Time was really the big issues with The Hobbit as the New Line/WB lawsuit held things up along with the leaving of Del Toro and industrial disputes.
In this case the VFX were a forced necessity as a time saver as it meant less set build time and being able to use every stage booked as much as possible as the actors were right up against their other schedules.

Jackson by all accounts genuinely loves making movies and his passion is a blessing and a curse. But at the end of the day you kind of need these madcap directors who go "but what if..." to push the boundaries. The wheel may not have been reinvented but it's opened up new possibles.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Good post, the loss of contrast in HFR is really interesting. I hated the films but I'll have to watch the making-ofs, even if they'll end up being the exact opposite of the LoTR trilogy extras.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

The making ofs are pretty much on the same lines and are surprisingly candid. Also don't forget there's a bunch of web making ofs on the facebook page that go into more detail regarding how the 3D cameras were utilised.

One thing that does come through is that everyone did care deeply about wanting to make a good film but it really got down to the wire. There's an insane moment where they're finishing the final sound mix for Desolation and they realise that owing to time zones they are able to cheat in a few more hours.

Jackson is a perfectionist who cares and likes to challenge his crew. It's a bit cheap to compare him to Lucas as the people I know who worked with him on Clones were not really impressed.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Intoluene posted:

Once the independent scene gets a hold of cameras capable of this, that's when we'll see it done well just in time for big names to realise what they did to make it work and transfer it to cinema.

They kind of do, even dslrs can shoot 120fps at 1080p and the Arri Amira can do 100fps at 4k (well, upscaled internally from 3). As WebDog mentioned, higher frame rates is a huge amount of extra work for crew and post. Makeup in particular, even at 24fps something as simple as a certain shade of blue light can make prosthetics or make up look like crap. And ironically, a lot of indie work tries to mimic old school film look anyway so for them the more smoke the better. It's a crazy business.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

WebDog posted:

The making ofs are pretty much on the same lines and are surprisingly candid. Also don't forget there's a bunch of web making ofs on the facebook page that go into more detail regarding how the 3D cameras were utilised.

One thing that does come through is that everyone did care deeply about wanting to make a good film but it really got down to the wire. There's an insane moment where they're finishing the final sound mix for Desolation and they realise that owing to time zones they are able to cheat in a few more hours.

Jackson is a perfectionist who cares and likes to challenge his crew. It's a bit cheap to compare him to Lucas as the people I know who worked with him on Clones were not really impressed.

Oh absolutely, that's a rough comparison. My biggest gripe with the hobbit films though still the scripts.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

The biggest crime of the Hobbit was cargo culting Lord of the Rings and being a trilogy instead of a single movie. The book is a pretty short and light read and there's just no excuse for that.

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

There is little that makes me happier than taking drugs. Perhaps administering them, designing and carrying out experiments that bend the plane of what we consider reality.

BattleMaster posted:

The biggest crime of the Hobbit was cargo culting Lord of the Rings and being a trilogy instead of a single movie. The book is a pretty short and light read and there's just no excuse for that.

Agreed. There exists a 4 hour cut of the three movies that condenses them down to just what came from the original book - the Tolkien edit. It's an improvement.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I kind of understand expanding it a little bit to include some of the stuff happening in the background. The books work well when you read the hobbit first and then let the LotR expand on all the hinted-at backstory. Having to make the movies in the opposite order had to be a balancing act between being true to the book and acknowledging the larger story.

Still, there's at least one movie too much in that trilogy.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

treiz01 posted:

Agreed. There exists a 4 hour cut of the three movies that condenses them down to just what came from the original book - the Tolkien edit. It's an improvement.

They took all the heart out of the book and tried to make it a fantasy epic. Which is what the LOTR books are, an epic saga written as an epic saga. They tried their level best to make a financially successful movie in the mold of movies that had already been financially successful, source material be damned. Peter Jackson did the best job he could with the job he was given. He was a hired gun with a mission.

This is a strange derail in the thread that is all about pictures of old cell phones, monitors, and forgotten electronics.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

atomicthumbs posted:

disney's cars 4, now with nvidia g-sync

You don’t need g‐sync.

A 120 Hz screen gives you the option of 24 fps, 30 fps, 60 fps, 120 fps, and more obscure rates.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

And if your framerate slips down to 59fps for a few frames, welcome to judder town.

Variable sync is worthwhile for just about any use case. It'd be cool to see a film made without any restriction on framerate, too. Being able to increase or decrease the frame rate of footage at will could be a powerful tool.

SCheeseman has a new favorite as of 12:02 on Aug 22, 2016

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

SwissCM posted:

And if your framerate slips down to 59fps for a few frames, welcome to judder town.

If you’re making a film and your camera drops frames, you have a serious problem.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Or it's being done for effect. Plenty of filmmakers mess with framerates to achieve different visual outcomes, variable sync would allow for far more flexibility.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I hate when movies use a low frame rate as a lovely slow motion effect, or as a "technology" visual effect or whatever the hell. Maybe that's not actually low fps being used. Whatever it is, it's ugly to me. I'm failing to think of any examples right now but I've seen it quite a few times in random things.

Like I guess it's justifiable if your not-terminator is low budget in-story and thus has lovely camera eyeballs that don't update very fast but if you're doing that then you had better drat well use it as a weakness in the movie too.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I'm happy with the softer look of 24 fps and hope it sticks around until I die. I feel like what I see through my own eyes is much closer to film/24 than it is to video/60. I understand that everyone is different and that preferring 24 for movies makes me some kind of troglodyte caveman rear end in a top hat, but so be it.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Light Gun Man posted:

I hate when movies use a low frame rate as a lovely slow motion effect, or as a "technology" visual effect or whatever the hell. Maybe that's not actually low fps being used. Whatever it is, it's ugly to me. I'm failing to think of any examples right now but I've seen it quite a few times in random things.

Like I guess it's justifiable if your not-terminator is low budget in-story and thus has lovely camera eyeballs that don't update very fast but if you're doing that then you had better drat well use it as a weakness in the movie too.

Maybe the opening battle of Gladiator? When the battle sound drops out and the score rises up? That kind of look? Or more like the stuttery bits in the Omaha Beach opening of Saving Private Ryan?

The only other thing I can think of is when someone decides a shot that wasn't shot for slow mo now needs needs to be slow mo in post.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Lizard Combatant posted:

The only other thing I can think of is when someone decides a shot that wasn't shot for slow mo now needs needs to be slow mo in post.

I think this is more what I'm talking about yeah. Or like sometimes it's used to represent psychedelic drugs or rocking out on a guitar or something?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Yeah, I get what you're saying. I think it's a cheap way to get slow motion out of a shot that was filmed at a normal frame rate, and it ends up looking awful. Hopefully we'll see less of that as digital cameras are able to more easily and commonly shoot at high frame rates so even a layman can get reliable slow motion. iPhones do it already.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

With Private Ryan that was changing the shutter speed from 180 to 45 or 90 during explosions to get a crisper image.

The film still runs at 24fps, just when the shutter is changed it will expose each frame for more or less time.

At smaller numbers each frame is being exposed for less time to the point where a spinning object will look frozen in time.
You do need more light on your scene to compensate as the image will get less light.

The slow mo knocked by blast effect is done with the shutter open higher so light is being "double exposed" (lazy term) and motion becomes a blur and things look slower. They also might have undercranked a bit then conformed back to 24fps.

Lots of really cool lo tech stuff like using drills to get camera shake on that film.

Digital is a bit different as it's not a revolving circle over the film, its software simulating one, so you can have a 360 shutter which means it's open completely every frame.

Gladiator and Braveheart and a few others actually remove frames in post to get a more kinetic effect.

More info here:
https://cinemashock.org/2012/07/30/45-degree-shutter-in-saving-private-ryan/

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

Spielberg very deliberately tried to match the look of Robert Capa’s photos. A mistake in the darkroom gave them a unique look.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Platystemon posted:

Spielberg very deliberately tried to match the look of Robert Capa’s photos. A mistake in the darkroom gave them a unique look.

That guy braved the first wave of assault to get spectaular images.

Only for the darkroom guy to accidentally bake all by one roll of them.

And the ten other photographers who were there? A colonel dropped all their film overboard when getting onto a ship.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
There was also a uncensored documentary created several days after the landings for Allied high command, which was subsequently lost in the US Army Signal Corps archives until a couple years ago.
https://unwritten-record.blogs.archives.gov/2014/09/09/the-first-d-day-documentary/

quote:

A letter in the OSS personnel folder for Capt. John Ford recommends him for the Distinguished Service Medal on the strength of his activities documenting the D-day invasion, specifically mentioning: “The returning film was assembled under his directions, and an overall D-Day report, complete with sound, was competed on D plus 5, and was shown to Mr. Winston Churchill. Copies were also flown to President Roosevelt and Mr. Stalin.”

An additional document circulated in SHAEF headquarters in London on June 12 (D-day plus 7), cited “an uncensored film of the assault on the French Coast” to be shown, lasting “approximately 38 minutes.” Yet another document found in the OSS files asks why a credit line to the OSS was omitted from the “Secret SHAEF film.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcggNe-SEXU

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

George Miller likes to mess with frame rates (from Wikipedia):

"The frame rate was also manipulated to achieve a desired effect. "Something like 50 or 60 percent of the film is not running at 24 frames a second, which is the traditional frame rate," said Seale. "It'll be running below 24 frames because George, if he couldn't understand what was happening in the shot, he slowed it down until you could. Or if it was too well understood, he'd shorten it or he'd speed it up back towards 24. His manipulation of every shot in that movie is intense.""

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Platystemon posted:

Except Spielberg did the opposite of that, shorter shutter angle than normal for the framerate, getting close to but not quite the Ridley Scott strobe effect of real small shutter angle. Saving Private Ryan just looks crisp, and you're thinking "did I just see that?" As opposed to the Scott brothers, who take that effect a bit too far and it looks like stop-motion (cf. Gladiator.) But it's the same general thing. As opposed to Capa's stills, which are blurred all to hell and back.

Spielberg still nails the chaos of Capa's photos, but the other way 'round.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Sony had some pretty terrible ideas when it came to portable PCs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGIGUBYJLn8

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Tubesock Holocaust posted:

Sony had some pretty terrible ideas when it came to portable PCs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGIGUBYJLn8

that dude's voice holy poo poo. he sounds like a screechy old woman from a Monty Python sketch

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Elsa posted:

that dude's voice holy poo poo. he sounds like a screechy old woman from a Monty Python sketch

Yeah but that was amazing. I'd heard of that guy before but watching it - actual knowledgeable teardowns and unboxings of poo poo? Yes please.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Elsa posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpBYnL5fAXE

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Elsa posted:

Yeah, I'm an Auusie and that "sing songy" raising the pitch and the end like they're asking a question accent some of us have annoys me too. gently caress that and the nasal accent some of us have.
Eventually I got used to it, not just with him but also I remember the old "craft brewer" podcast host was the same, plus of course with some people in real life (but it seems more common in the eastern states like queensland than here in the west with the exception of WA country people like in the Bunbury to lake grace area in the mid south west)
People around me are whiny fuckers in other ways or gruff loud people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Arivia posted:

Yeah but that was amazing. I'd heard of that guy before but watching it - actual knowledgeable teardowns and unboxings of poo poo? Yes please.

Dave Jones and the EEVblog are pretty great. His voice never bothered me. He does tend to repeat the same phrases over again to the point where I know what he's going to say before he even says it. "In like flynn" "none of the 'X' rubbish" etc. That's starting to get a little annoying. But his teardowns are awesome.