Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Is there any way for Firefox (on Windows 10) to automatically open up a tunnel and connect via SOCKS to my server?

Right now I do that manually by opening up a tunnel via Putty and then firing up Firefox, but my end goal is to put all of this on a pendrive or in the cloud and have a portable secure browser and ideally it would be double-click -> browse.

Go to options, advanced, network, settings, and then enter your SOCKS proxy information. It will use either v4 or v5 of SOCKS for this. It'll look like this when set up (obviously with the correct IPv4 or IPv6 address for the server you want it to connect to):

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I think he's planning on having PuTTY on the drive and auto-launching an SSH session before opening Firefox?

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

m2pt5 posted:

If you can configure PuTTY to connect automatically on open, you can probably do it with a batch file (or equivalent.)

Hah, I was actually just testing that out, and googling around led me to plink.exe which I think is neater than having to bundle up a profile.

Now to write the batch file. Thanks!

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

fishmech posted:

Go to options, advanced, network, settings, and then enter your SOCKS proxy information. It will use either v4 or v5 of SOCKS for this. It'll look like this when set up (obviously with the correct IPv4 or IPv6 address for the server you want it to connect to):

Tesseraction posted:

I think he's planning on having PuTTY on the drive and auto-launching an SSH session before opening Firefox?

Yeah, the idea was to not have to manually set up the tunnel. Weirdly it seems no browser actually supports this as an inbuilt option, but I guess as long as I can run a single batch file then it's about the same.

Thanks for the help!

Read
Dec 21, 2010

I'm trying to edit some Firefox UI. If I change it in the DOM Inspector then it immediately reflects the change in Firefox, if I set the same rule in userChrome.css it doesn't do anything. Here's the element in question:

By default it's set to "chrome://simplified-tabgroups/content/icons/togglebutton/icon-32.png" but I want it to use icon-inverted-32.png (which is packaged into the xpi, but inaccessible through the program's options).

This is the userChrome.css line I'm using to try and enforce this:
code:
#toolbarbutton-icon {src:chrome://simplified-tabgroups/content/icons/togglebutton/icon-inverted-32.png:!important;}
Anyone know why this doesn't work?

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Read posted:

I think you need to remove the colon before !important and wrap an url("") around the path, like this:

code:
#toolbarbutton-icon {src: url("chrome://simplified-tabgroups/content/icons/togglebutton/icon-inverted-32.png") !important;}
You may need to change that 'src' too, but I'm not sure to what. My best guesses would be image or background-image.

Edit: Probably image, based on the inherits in your pic.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Read posted:

I'm trying to edit some Firefox UI. If I change it in the DOM Inspector then it immediately reflects the change in Firefox, if I set the same rule in userChrome.css it doesn't do anything. Here's the element in question:

By default it's set to "chrome://simplified-tabgroups/content/icons/togglebutton/icon-32.png" but I want it to use icon-inverted-32.png (which is packaged into the xpi, but inaccessible through the program's options).

This is the userChrome.css line I'm using to try and enforce this:
code:
#toolbarbutton-icon {src:chrome://simplified-tabgroups/content/icons/togglebutton/icon-inverted-32.png:!important;}

it's a class and you're treating it like an ID

e: if it doesn't have its own ID (I see XBL in the picture), I think you'd have to use a selector that matches that class with that image

e2: maybe just ask that extension's author to add an option for it? I see it looks like it's been abandoned, so that's probably not an option. But I did see a commit that looks like it maybe fixes that, so if you're feeling brave you could try to build it, change its ID, and sign it yourself

astral fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Aug 18, 2016

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Okay, so I was using the wrong selector and had some syntax errors w/r/t the !important and url. I tried fixing both of those things, by changing the syntax and getting the selectors directly from the DOM Inspector. No luck. Here's the parent element in the DOM Inspector, which is what I used to get the selectors (I tried the same things directly on xul:image).

code:
.toolbarbutton-1.chromeclass-toolbar-additional.badged-button{
	image:url("chrome://simplified-tabgroups/content/icons/togglebutton/icon-inverted-32.png")!important;
}

toolbarbutton[class="toolbarbutton-1 chromeclass-toolbar-additional badged-button"][image="chrome://simplified-tabgroups/content/icons/togglebutton/icon-32.png"] {
	image:url("chrome://simplified-tabgroups/content/icons/togglebutton/icon-inverted-32.png")!important;
}

#toggle-button--tabgroupsschubio-tabgroups-show{image:url("chrome://simplified-tabgroups/content/icons/togglebutton/icon-inverted-32.png")!important;}
I guess it can't be that hard to build the extension myself, If I can't get this to work I'll try making an issue on the repo & waiting a bit and then try submitting a rebuilt version for signing.

Read fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Aug 18, 2016

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
my only suggestion would be to try "list-style-image" instead of "image". Like so:
code:
#titlebar-close:hover > .toolbarbutton-icon {
    list-style-image: url("chrome://browser/skin/caption-buttons.svg#close-white") !important;
}
I have no real idea what or why this is, but I have several image overrides in my userchrome that all use "list-style-image". They're all cribbed from internet instructions made by people who know what they're doing.

edit also try that same thing for the ID (but without hover). making this:
code:
#toggle-button--tabgroupsschubio-tabgroups-show > .toolbarbutton-icon {
    list-style-image: url("chrome://simplified-tabgroups/content/icons/togglebutton/icon-inverted-32.png") !important; }
this makes sense to me since it's the icon that has an image attached that you want to change.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Aug 18, 2016

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Is there an extension somewhere that lets you specify download folders for individual sites?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

dis astranagant posted:

Is there an extension somewhere that lets you specify download folders for individual sites?

the browser itself is supposed to remember by site if you have "always ask me where to download" turned on, but it isn't 100% reliable.

I use "save link in folder", which isn't by site, but gives you a easy list of folders. Good if you have less than a dozen entries.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Boris Galerkin posted:

I'm just curious what's so bad about Firefox now?

Did they ever get HTML5 Netflix?

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

computer parts posted:

Yeah, a while ago.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
Mozilla is working on a rebrand. :argh: why aren't they working on {thing} instead*

*(even though this was a third party and even if it weren't, artistic things are done by different people than coding features)

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

The Merkinman posted:

Mozilla is working on a rebrand. :argh: why aren't they working on {thing} instead*

*(even though this was a third party and even if it weren't, artistic things are done by different people than coding features)

gently caress those are all bad. Gun to my head, I'd pick the third one.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

They are all terrible, imo. I mean I like "Moz://a" but good luck telling people how to pronounce that. Maybe they could get rid of the Mozilla "brand" and call themselves the Firefox Foundation or sth if they are hellbent on change.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Grim Up North posted:

They are all terrible, imo. I mean I like "Moz://a" but good luck telling people how to pronounce that. Maybe they could get rid of the Mozilla "brand" and call themselves the Firefox Foundation or sth if they are hellbent on change.

The ones that rearrange the letters are like the logos I made in high shcool

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

The Merkinman posted:

Those are all very bad.

If they want to increase market share, dump the team that has made the product less usable and start fixing the parts that are now alienating previous users. They used to have a lot of those. New (bad) logos wont help.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

To increase market share just do the things that produce good results, and do not do the things which produce bad results.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
They should use the dinosaur more. Dinosaurs are cool.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

computer parts posted:

Avenging Dentist posted:

Yeah, a while ago.

I read somewhere though that the html5 version on Firefox supports only up to 720p video so I've just been using Edge for Netflix because it supports 1080p. Now if I can just figure out a way to change the Edge shortcut to "Netflix" so that I can just hit Windows + Netf to open it up then that would be great. I mean it's probably something trivial but I just haven't bothered.

(I know there's a Netflix Windows App as well but that requires a Windows/Microsoft Account and no gently caress I'm not going to register one.)

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

The Merkinman posted:

Holy poo poo, Mozilla Zune

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

Boris Galerkin posted:

I read somewhere though that the html5 version on Firefox supports only up to 720p video so I've just been using Edge for Netflix because it supports 1080p. Now if I can just figure out a way to change the Edge shortcut to "Netflix" so that I can just hit Windows + Netf to open it up then that would be great. I mean it's probably something trivial but I just haven't bothered.

(I know there's a Netflix Windows App as well but that requires a Windows/Microsoft Account and no gently caress I'm not going to register one.)

Netflix has agreements with producers that mean only systems that use Microsoft's or Apple's DRM schemes can get 1080p. Chrome and Opera with Google Widevine get 720p. Firefox with Adobe Primetime or Google Widevine gets 720p.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Applebees posted:

Netflix has agreements with producers that mean only systems that use Microsoft's or Apple's DRM schemes can get 1080p. Chrome and Opera with Google Widevine get 720p. Firefox with Adobe Primetime or Google Widevine gets 720p.

And it's a good thing, too! Otherwise there'd be 1080p rips of Netflix content out there for dow-- Stranger.Things.S01E01.1080p.WEBRip.x264-SKGTV

oh.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
It's amazing to me how film and TV still haven't learned the lesson from Steam - make it available as widely as possible and make it easier to buy than it is to steal and people will fall over themselves to give you money.

I live in Australia and Netflix barely gives us a fraction of what they offer in the US. Then they wonder why Australians are about the top in the world for illegally downloading poo poo.

Please, let me give you my money :10bux:

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Yeah, the idea was to not have to manually set up the tunnel. Weirdly it seems no browser actually supports this as an inbuilt option, but I guess as long as I can run a single batch file then it's about the same.

Thanks for the help!

I use a SOCKS proxy too, but I don't think the lack of support from the browser is weird at all.

Anyway, other tools you may find useful for this endeavour or for future reference are kitty (putty fork), cntlm and proxycap.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

~Coxy posted:

I use a SOCKS proxy too, but I don't think the lack of support from the browser is weird at all.

Anyway, other tools you may find useful for this endeavour or for future reference are kitty (putty fork), cntlm and proxycap.

There's no lack of support for SOCKS proxies in Firefox though? It's been in the standard settings since before the name Firefox was chosen.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Boris Galerkin posted:

Internet Explorer has a "add this website to task bar" thing in its menu that I use for my Netflix shortcut, does Edge not have that?

Gerudo Rivera
Jan 22, 2005

Since an update about a month ago, Firefox has been signing me out of Twitter every time I close the browser. "Remember me" is checked on login. It doesn't do this with any other site.

Every time i open Firefox, I need to sign in to Twitter again (it at least remembers my password) and then I get an email alert from twitter that there's a "new login" which suggests firefox it isn't saving the login cookie. But I haven't disabled any cookies on Twitter. Any idea what might be going on?

edit: wiping out all of my twitter.com cookies and logging in fresh seems to have fixed the problem. NEVERMIND

Gerudo Rivera fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Aug 26, 2016

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Gerudo Rivera posted:

Since an update about a month ago, Firefox has been signing me out of Twitter every time I close the browser. "Remember me" is checked on login. It doesn't do this with any other site.

Every time i open Firefox, I need to sign in to Twitter again (it at least remembers my password) and then I get an email alert from twitter that there's a "new login" which suggests firefox it isn't saving the login cookie. But I haven't disabled any cookies on Twitter. Any idea what might be going on?

edit: wiping out all of my twitter.com cookies and logging in fresh seems to have fixed the problem. NEVERMIND

Twitter does something weird and creates a basically infinite amount of useless cookies. This causes Firefox to eventually wipe out the login cookie, once some limit is reached, due to the way it decides which cookies to clean out. More details here
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1264192

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I'm getting "An error occurred during a connection to https://www.google.com. Peer's certificate has an invalid signature. Error code: SEC_ERROR_BAD_SIGNATURE" on Google and other sites. This happened right after a Bitdefender update so that might have something to do with it. I've been trying to fix it for a couple of days and it's really starting to piss me off.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Casimir Radon posted:

I'm getting "An error occurred during a connection to https://www.google.com. Peer's certificate has an invalid signature. Error code: SEC_ERROR_BAD_SIGNATURE" on Google and other sites. This happened right after a Bitdefender update so that might have something to do with it. I've been trying to fix it for a couple of days and it's really starting to piss me off.
Unless this is your work computer, uninstall Bitdefender completely and use the Microsoft-provided solution. Non-Microsoft antivirus programs are strongly not recommended because they cause system problems and make you more vulnerable on the web due to exploits in the AV software and their browser add-ons.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Casimir Radon posted:

Add the BitDefender TLS certificate to Firefox, or disable the network scanning for HTTPS sites if you don't want BitDefender to read your e-mails and credit card info.

Better yet, uninstall BitDefender. Third-party antivirus is worthless.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
NOD32 is about the only tolerable third-party AV utility I've used, but even then I'm not 100% convinced it's better than Microsoft's.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Avenging Dentist posted:

NOD32 is about the only tolerable third-party AV utility I've used, but even then I'm not 100% convinced it's better than Microsoft's.

Its enterprise management toolkit is pretty good. A bit obtuse to learn, but very flexible in how policies are crafted and applied. The reporting is abysmal, though.

Gerudo Rivera
Jan 22, 2005

Tamba posted:

Twitter does something weird and creates a basically infinite amount of useless cookies. This causes Firefox to eventually wipe out the login cookie, once some limit is reached, due to the way it decides which cookies to clean out. More details here
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1264192

first the Vine infinite recursion bug and now this. who do these web developers think they're fooling???

Gerudo Rivera
Jan 22, 2005

dpbjinc posted:

Third-party antivirus is worthless.

i'm thrilled that this is genuinely true now, and I no longer have to read people ranting about how Actually you should run at least one other AV on top of Microsoft Security Essentials to ensure breathtaking levels of safety

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So the latest update brought back those loving "visit" and "search with" prompts to the search bar, and apparently the old way of going into the about:config and turning the urlbar code to false no longer works. What is the solution for a browser inept person like myself? Updated to 48.0.2

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Aug 27, 2016

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

For some reason, firefox is refusing to remember tabs from session to session, even though I have it set to do so (and I doublechecked by saving a different setting, and then back to the save tabs setting) but every time I reopen firefox, it's back to the start page. This just started with 48.0.2

Edit: never mind, problem solved. There was another session that was up, invisibly. :argh:

Rorac fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Aug 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Arcsquad12 posted:

So the latest update brought back those loving "visit" and "search with" prompts to the search bar, and apparently the old way of going into the about :config and turning the urlbar code to false no longer works. What is the solution for a browser inept person like myself? Updated to 48.0.2

I think I'm using a combination of some Classic Theme Restorer options and this userChrome to fix the address bar.

code:
#PopupAutoCompleteRichResult richlistitem:first-of-type[actiontype="searchengine"],
#PopupAutoCompleteRichResult richlistitem[actiontype="visiturl"] { visibility:collapse !important; }
#PopupAutoCompleteRichResult .autocomplete-richlistbox {
	height: auto !important;
	max-height: calc(31px * 10) !important;
	}