Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
I missed watching the episode live, but I watched the first ten minute preview on Logo's website the other day, and I wonder whether it was the contestants or the producers who picked out the outfits for the confessionals because they sure are...something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

If I haven't been watching the last few seasons, is this batch of queens good enough to start watching again?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Roxxy bringing the RuPaul's Best Friend Race.

Appreciate Tatianna just saying she's going to eliminate who she thought was the worst.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

OH HELL YES THAT ENDING

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Pinwiz11 posted:

OH HELL YES THAT ENDING

Revenge???? I read all the spoilers, but I didn't know about that.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Pinwiz11 posted:

OH HELL YES THAT ENDING

Agreed. This season's got twists and turns.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Pinwiz11 posted:

OH HELL YES THAT ENDING

Eliminated queens pick the winner from the top 3 is my guess.

E: also my partner gets shade of the evening award for saying Adore is serving lesbian auntie realness

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Aug 26, 2016

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Eliminated queens pick the winner from the top 3 is my guess.

Like.... Survivor??

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Why isn't Tatianna's spoken word available online somewhere already?!

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Oh my god

that was the best ending

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

I was a huge fan of Tatianna on Season 2 and I feel so validated right now. Bitch is put together and smart. :kimchi: (Although Roxxxy did deserve the win this week.)

So glad Coco got booted first, if only because it'll minimize the amount of time I'm exposed to those contacts :gonk: But living for the SECRET TWIST :suspense:

This was honestly one of the best episodes of Drag Race that I've watched. Everything was on point, everyone was incredibly put together and talented, especially since they have the cash to not have to raid the dollar store. The show also seems much more self-aware of its power over the queens and the need to soften its blows (making sure Coco got plenty of screen time and ending on the hope of redemption rather than just dashing her dreams and ejecting her into the Los Angeles night).

EDIT: Also :lol: at Roxxxy talking up how she's over mind games and then taking the bottom girls one by one to have a little -pre-elimination chat with them. She's clearly an even more talented and gentler Roxxxy, but she's still Roxxxy, and I totally love it :swoon:

Combed Thunderclap fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Aug 26, 2016

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

I loved Alaska requesting that everyone choose the elimination based on the Judge Critiques. She had to know that she's elimination target #1 if anyone is being strategic.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
Cocos dance made me so uncomfortable I wanted to crawl up into my vagina and disappear

Kicked Throat
Apr 12, 2005
Seeing Phi Phi in that fur drag was the first time I've ever been revolted by anything drag related.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

I am glad to have Alaska's crazy vocal fry back.

That was a good episode. Season should be good as well.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.
During season 7 Logo would upload their videos at like 1 in the morning, and over the course of season 8 they pushed it back further and further...
It's now 4:30 in the morning and I can't even find :filez: let alone an actual upload

EDIT: Okay finally, goddamn.

I didn't expect Michelle to come this hard for the queens, especially since they do BOTS with her. I'm also kind of interested if there's going to be an extended deliberation episode like Untucked? It only focused on Roxxxy and Tati's choices on who to eliminate, and not the conversations the queens were having (and I could hear someone, Adore?, laughing up a storm in the background).

I wonder how hard the claws are going to come out when it gets down to the halfway point.

curiousTerminal fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Aug 26, 2016

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Ok there were some twists but honestly, I think they're relying on the strengths of the queens to pull this season along.

- Todrick Hall isn't funny or likeable, and brought nothing. He's literally sitting where Ross Carson would be who has more charisma by a factor of a billion.
- The entire untucked segment went from being a fun bitchfest to being that scene in every Survivor episode where they talk strategy. No comedy, no jokes. Just tension and that one "shocking twist" zinger played 500 times
- So much rehearsed poo poo. Ru and the judges drinking the cocktails was funny for about a half a second. The entire revenge twist with Coco saying "I ain't holding back" was so horribly forced and scripted.
- I feel like they're foddering up half the queens already. When Michelle did PhiPhi and Adore I was like drat she's going in. But then she really didn't go for Alaska who, while decent, wasn't really that impressive. (Aside from her look, that hair was great)

Maybe the season picks up but it feels like they swapped out campy laughs for SUSPENSE!!!! and that kinda hurt it.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
I'm amazed that Roxxy can put out that kind of charisma on stage. That lip sync was adorable.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

Wow, I had assumed CoCo, Tatianna, and Roxxxy were going to be in the bottom before the episode started... guess I was super wrong on two counts! I actually liked Tatianna a lot on season 2, but compared to the other personalities in All Stars I didn't think she was going to make it far. Pleasantly surprised to be wrong, though I thought that Roxxxy blew her out of the water on that lipsync. I missed a couple of the acts (including Adore's) so I'll have to go back and watch those.

CaptainScraps posted:

I'm amazed that Roxxy can put out that kind of charisma on stage. That lip sync was adorable.
I was also actually really impressed with Roxxy's lipsync, since the last time around I found her very underwhelming.

Aphra Bane
Oct 3, 2013

Oh Adore :( That was rough.
I'm sure she'll bounce back *cough* unless the walkout rumours are true*cough* but it sucks to see her feel so insecure in that chat with Roxxxy.

Also Katya's entrance was my fave. I could listen to her make those weird noises all day.

Speaking of, her new youtube series has started!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjOV_xl838o

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.

Nihonniboku posted:

Who knew that Ginger could sing

Who didn't? :colbert:

vaginadeathgrip
Jun 18, 2003

all them bitches can't handle my sassy ass mouth
2 moments made me laugh so hard and both from Katya: the Poetic Justice reference and her Roxy read. "I think of you every morning..."

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

It's quite interesting since Ginger is probably the contestant with the best voice, but she's kept it relatively under wraps compared to other contestants like Adore and Courtney.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Maera Sior posted:

If I haven't been watching the last few seasons, is this batch of queens good enough to start watching again?

I think so. It seems like it could easily be the best season. It's an excellent cast with genuine chemistry, and there are some great twists to keep it fresh.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

Maera Sior posted:

This appears to be a solid season, but I would go back and watch Seasons 6 and 8 if you have a chance. Both were excellent.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Pinwiz11 posted:

This appears to be a solid season, but I would go back and watch Seasons 6 and 8 if you have a chance. Both were excellent.

And a best of Katya video perhaps? She was unappreciated by the judges, but the producers certainly found her magic.

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

C:enter:###
I hope we get All-Stars 3 with Tempest DuJour and Lagana, who plays 9 versions of herself. Tempest wins.

oliven
Jan 25, 2006

love all cats
drat, Michelle went IN on Adore. It seemed a little out of place and just cruel, honestly. Especially when the other bottom queens didn't get that same kind of feedback. I thought Adore looked good! The song number wasn't terribly exciting to me but then again it was better than Ginger's, which was a total snoozefest.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Adore looked OK, but if she's this powerhouse of a singer and punk rock star, she could look better than that awful wig and cocktail dress. Michelle was hard on her, but she got such an easy time on her last season.... they're just not hand holding this time around. Anyways I'm looking forward to her meltdown and walking out next episode because things are just Too Hard. Bitch.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

angerbeet posted:

Adore looked OK, but if she's this powerhouse of a singer and punk rock star, she could look better than that awful wig and cocktail dress. Michelle was hard on her, but she got such an easy time on her last season.... they're just not hand holding this time around. Anyways I'm looking forward to her meltdown and walking out next episode because things are just Too Hard. Bitch.

:same:

Loving the various freak outs over Michelle being :qq:too mean to Adore:qq: like that hasn't been her gimmick as a judge for how many seasons?

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Somebody's got to be the the villain/antagonist on a season where no one wants to risk their careers in ruining their rep by being mean. I think it's clever that the judges are taking on that role.

Fantastisk
May 19, 2011

After a long night of hooking, trade didn't like the session, so he had gutted me and set me on fire, but, you know, I didn't die. I had crystallized, and now I'm a glamazon bitch ready for the runway.
I've been thinking about that whole revenge thing. Because of the "lipsync for your legacy" with winners doing the elimination, could it be that the losers will choose the winner in the end? Either just Coco, or everyone who's eliminated gets a vote. Maybe it's too early to make a guess right now, but it would fit in with this season's big twist.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

That would certainly be in keeping with the producers' decision to mop some of the best mechanics of Survivor for this season. (Which is a good thing.)

Also, Chad Sell's recap/drag queen interview/art dump for Episode 1 is up! :swoon: My favs:

(If you like his stuff don't forget to buy it on etsy or support it on Patreon.)

Chad also apparently did an interview with Tatianna a couple years ago that he links to, which led me to discover that Tati had only performed 3 times before she went on Season 2 and that she had never done an impression before she did her Britney Spears impression. It'll be interesting to see if she can recapture the genius if she makes it to Snatch Game. Which is next episode, I think??

Combed Thunderclap fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Aug 29, 2016

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Coco at the end of the episode:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PO1oUY6HS90

But for real what the gently caress was that Coco? She looked like a goddamn trainwreck and that dance was weak as hell. Roxxxy and Tatianna straight up owned that show and overall the episode was one of the best ever produced. Yeah it got a little long winded during the scripted judges' banter and the backstage drama but everything else was top loving notch.

Also stop being so mean to Adore she suits my 90s alt-chick needs :saddowns:

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.
Coco said on Twitter she couldn't do Janet because of copyright issues.

As for Adore, it's sad to see the cutie crying but I agree with Michelle 100% and have been bummed by her messy looks for a while.
I mean yeah if that's what she wants good for her but she should've expected the judges to want glamour and snatch in this competition.
As for me I'm just sad about her potential for glam she showed on her YouTube vids before s6. She could've been amazing if she chose that direction :(

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!
Yeah I didn't think Michelle was overly harsh. I like Adore too, but she looked kinda basic and this is all stars so c'mon step yo pussy up! She's shown us before that she can keep the awesome punk Adore style but really execute it well, remember that look she did her season with the white wig, white corset, tutu and boots, with the bejeweled chain? That look was a complete thought. This look was not a complete thought, it was a dress and gloves. Her makeup was on point, though! I hope she rallies. I'd like to see her do well.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Pinwiz11 posted:

D'oh. So much C&P, I thought I had caught it all. Fixed.

In other news, the Hurricane Bianca trailer is out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f22WzqqV_H4

Man I want this to be amazing (and it looks okay at worst), but for me Rachel Dratch is where comedy goes to die.

Trig Discipline fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Aug 29, 2016

Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!
I have a hard time believing Bianca picked out that outfit for Adore.

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.

Nemo posted:

I have a hard time believing Bianca picked out that outfit for Adore.

My theory is she picked the dress online or something and then adore went and bought it 3 sizes too large.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

CHiRAL posted:

Coco said on Twitter she couldn't do Janet because of copyright issues.

Well in fairness she went about as far as it is possible to go in the other direction because no one is going to want to be the person who came up with... that.

• Locked thread