Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Zeroisanumber posted:

You never met the hags.

:sad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

exquisite tea posted:

I got about 25 hours into this game and realized that I was still in the first area beyond the tutorial zone with no recollection of why I needed to play hide and seek with some kids in the woods and no reason to care, so I just stopped playing.

wtf were you doing for 25 hours

ROFLburger posted:

Real talk is this game good? ive been thinking about giving it a spin

it's good

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

ROFLburger posted:

yeah. it's one of the best games probably.

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord

ROFLburger posted:

lol bitch did you not read this post

8-Bit Scholar posted:

The Witcher 3's writing is laudable for some fairly nerdy reasons. Particularly, and especially early on, it is an open-world game that nevertheless maintains a "theme" very well. Consistently throughout the game you run into situations where parenthood is the primary theme. A major early NPC needs you help in finding a missing child; a number of monster contracts include the monsters' young as motivation for their killings; family and bloodlines are a major narrative thread in Skellige as well as the main story; and children can live or die by your decisions.

The fact that the supporting cast is remarkably likable (even Dandelion has his charms!) and I'd say the Hearts of Stone DLC quest pack is one of the best pieces of content I've ever experienced in any video game, especially an RPG like this. It's a perfect storm that should never have come together as well as it did, but at the end of the day, the Witcher 3 manages to hearken back to the very best examples of the RPG genre. I hadn't felt this attached to a cast of characters since FFIX, and the overworld design is incredible. It's a game world that manages to be fantastical and lurid without losing its subtlety.

It's basically an R-rated fairy tale with a heart of gold and a dirty old man's sense of humor. It'll make you laugh and it'll make you cry, and isn't that exactly what a good piece of art should do?

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

Iron Prince posted:

lol bitch did you not read this post

i actually dont know most of those words :smith:

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006
alright dickheads i just bought it i'll report back with my findings

Garcin
Jun 15, 2000
gently caress gwent

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006
please bookmark this thread for more info in the future

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
gl hf

Flarpy
Aug 13, 2016

Fojar38 posted:

the witcher 2 was a very bad game is the witcher 3 better

Yes. Whole other ballpark.

I played through the first two in anticipation for 3.
The first is ancient and clunky. The second was a lot more modern with less weird combat, but instead much more "confined" and simplified, sort of on-rails.
I thought two was OK though, but the third game is much better and has a very different style.

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006
0% @ 2 "MB"s per second

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006
it seems i need more MBs

Flarpy
Aug 13, 2016

8-Bit Scholar posted:

The Witcher 3's writing is laudable for some fairly nerdy reasons. Particularly, and especially early on, it is an open-world game that nevertheless maintains a "theme" very well. Consistently throughout the game you run into situations where parenthood is the primary theme. A major early NPC needs you help in finding a missing child; a number of monster contracts include the monsters' young as motivation for their killings; family and bloodlines are a major narrative thread in Skellige as well as the main story; and children can live or die by your decisions.

The fact that the supporting cast is remarkably likable (even Dandelion has his charms!) and I'd say the Hearts of Stone DLC quest pack is one of the best pieces of content I've ever experienced in any video game, especially an RPG like this. It's a perfect storm that should never have come together as well as it did, but at the end of the day, the Witcher 3 manages to hearken back to the very best examples of the RPG genre. I hadn't felt this attached to a cast of characters since FFIX, and the overworld design is incredible. It's a game world that manages to be fantastical and lurid without losing its subtlety.

It's basically an R-rated fairy tale with a heart of gold and a dirty old man's sense of humor. It'll make you laugh and it'll make you cry, and isn't that exactly what a good piece of art should do?

I am George W. Bush and I approve this message.

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006
32 gb? :negative:

Flarpy
Aug 13, 2016

ROFLburger posted:

it seems i need more MBs

Did you get the talkie version?

Pookum
Mar 5, 2011

gaming is life
its extremely good but i will never finish it. its too long

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006
yeah i got the broke joker internet because i am NOT paying cox 15 more dollars a month for another "MB"

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
the combat in witcher 2 was insanely poo poo did they fix it for 3?

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

you'd definitely want to play witcher 2 first anyway, it was just on steam for $2.99 again, but the sale just ended so buy a key off someone or wait til halloween idk

anyone who claims it is not an absolutely amazing game definitely has no patience, barely could focus in withcer 3, and then went back to play 2 after 3 like some kind of spoiled california house wife who refuses anything but the newest thing

i did a weekend of witcher 1, got confused, moved on to 2 and played it for 75 hours after being it, then put 140 into witcher 3 so far

read 2 of the books so far, own the next 3 already

it owns, the only way not to love this game is to play it at below 25 fps or to have no patience or brain

Flarpy
Aug 13, 2016

exquisite tea posted:

I got about 25 hours into this game and realized that I was still in the first area beyond the tutorial zone with no recollection of why I needed to play hide and seek with some kids in the woods and no reason to care, so I just stopped playing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16cwAvQcW0E

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Jose posted:

the combat in witcher 2 was insanely poo poo did they fix it for 3?

yeah it's better

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Moridin920 posted:

yeah it's better

but how

Flarpy
Aug 13, 2016

Jose posted:

but how

it just is ok

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

ROFLburger posted:

yeah

Orkin Mang posted:

the death of ivan ilyich. very short. trust me bro

I feel like I may have read that one but then I looked it up and I'd actually read the Overcoat instead.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

the fact nobody can explain why rthe combat is better leads me to believe its not

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Jose posted:

the fact nobody can explain why rthe combat is better leads me to believe its not

you click but also tap instead of tapping and clicking

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
More like The Bitcher 3: Wild oval office.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

The Dennis System posted:

More like The Bitcher 3: Wild oval office.

go rub dongs with your caddy

Pookum
Mar 5, 2011

gaming is life

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009
The Witcher 3 is so good that it makes other RPGs look like some amateur hour poo poo w/r/t storytelling. The combat is merely ok, though.

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.

Orkin Mang posted:

the death of ivan ilyich. very short. trust me bro

Tolstoy isn't big with me. I want to see the author make each word count, you know?

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

i liked it but lol if you think the function of art is to make you laugh n cry

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Jose posted:

but how
There's no skill involved.
The tutorial level teaches you how to do a little sidestep dodge and parry and stuff but all I ever did was dive about and mash attack when I was behind enemies

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona
the witcher 3 was the most boring video game i ever tried to play

Sylvia Plathetic
Nov 15, 2009
Played this for a bit, the Witcher guy turned like an articulated lorry when you needed to move around, and the writing was so 'mature' and 'edgy' that I was a bit embarrassed to be playing it. This is my Witcher 3 story, it sounds like most other people enjoyed it though, maybe I'm an idiot.

Sylvia Plathetic
Nov 15, 2009
Also gently caress games where you die to some bullshit and the last autosave was half an hour ago.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
Cunny of the Goose.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

I liked Gunter O'Dimm, it was like having Magic Man as your enemy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona
i killed a spooky old ghost by the ol watering hole now im gonna run around this field and pick flowers

• Locked thread