Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Carbon dioxide posted:

Kiiinda, but this graph does make you think about the fact that a larger population has a larger chance of having a good athlete than a smaller population. This does give large countries a statistical advantage, when you compare the absolute amounts of medals they got.

Germany, France and Italy have higher populations than South Korea by about 10 million each, and UK is about even with all three. Australia and New Zealand combine to half the population of Italy. Yet those European countries (minus UK) only touch the leaderboard if they're combined, whereas the smaller nations are doing just fine individually.

EU combines to a population 750 million, a little more than half that of China. When the EU is allowed 20 individual teams in the Olympics they pull down three times the medal count of China. The advantage for numerous teams far outweighs the advantage of larger populations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Germany, France and Italy have higher populations than South Korea by about 10 million each, and UK is about even with all three. Australia and New Zealand combine to half the population of Italy. Yet those European countries (minus UK) only touch the leaderboard if they're combined, whereas the smaller nations are doing just fine individually.

EU combines to a population 750 million, a little more than half that of China. When the EU is allowed 20 individual teams in the Olympics they pull down three times the medal count of China. The advantage for numerous teams far outweighs the advantage of larger populations.

Partly because it lets one 'team' have like 50 people compete instead of the usual one or two per country. So that makes sense.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Fathis Munk posted:

And then you have India.

[Activities] in a river of poo poo should have been their thing this year too.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
India's number 1 sport by a mile is cricket, which is not in the Olympics.

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

Judge Schnoopy posted:

EU is about 500 million, 750 million sound like all of Europe (= the continent) to me. Other than that, you have a point.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Belonged here, I thought:

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Flipperwaldt posted:

Brexit is going to be a huge success because we're good at the pommel horse.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Soccer is for commies and if you like the WBNA you're really weird.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.
Does the entire U.S. count as part of the British Empire? Because I have a hard time believing that they’d go to the effort of sorting athletes by birthplace, or give up the U.S.’s huge medal stack.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

zakharov posted:

Yet :colbert:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

Phanatic posted:

How does horse racing skew democratic, if only barely?

And WWE? :psyduck:

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Platystemon posted:

The explanation I've heard for WWE is that fandom/viewership is trending younger and more heavily Hispanic.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Platystemon posted:

a LOT of hipsters started watching wrestling in the past few years

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

zakharov posted:

If anything, it's India's number 2 sport that I would look out for.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Flipperwaldt posted:

Apparently the context is that someone else posted a similar medal tally but included the UK medals in the EU total .... which is still correct because Brexit hasn't kicked in quite yet, but people like Wheeler have apparently already moved on to the point where they get insulted by stuff like that

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Pakled posted:

The explanation I've heard for WWE is that fandom/viewership is trending younger and more heavily Hispanic.

Which is pretty much why Kalisto won the US Championship; the WWE have been desperately looking for a Mexican superstar to appeal to the Hispanic demographic ever since Rey Mysterio left the company.

Kalisto… has very little appeal. But goddamn I do love the Salida del Sol.

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx

Pakled posted:

This would also be consistent with the low voter turnout index.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Phanatic posted:

The NHL is more Republican than monster truck rallies?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

Albino Squirrel posted:

The NHL is more Republican than monster truck rallies?

This has got to be pre‐Trump.

The parking lots at his rallies are practically filled with monster trucks.

These are the only possibly leftist monster truck fans I know of:

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Speaking of stats and graphs, I'd love to see a chart of the new politics-in-pyf probate/ban d6 die rolls

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Monster truck rally's might be skewed by suburban Dads bringing kids, but white suburban dads tend to skew strong right anyway so idk

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Split the difference between middle aged dad's and stoned 20 something gear heads and I'd expect youd get something in the middle that doesn't often vote.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

From the spaceflight thread:

Pasco posted:

To scale

:ughh:

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Logarithmic, perhaps.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Powered Descent posted:

It's easy for me to forget just how big space really is, then I'll see a sunset and remember that I'm actually seeing the Sun as it was six months ago, it just took that long for the light to reach the Earth.

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

It's easy for me to forget just how big space really is, then I'll see a sunset and remember that I'm actually seeing the Sun as it was eight minutes ago, it just took that long for the light to reach the Earth.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

:thejoke:

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

What? It's a well-known fact that the Earth is 6 light-months from the Sun. Just look at the to-scale graph!

e:f,b

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
A "matrix" of leaders and personalities behind the Philippine drug trade:

Felonious_Monk
Oct 26, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

A "matrix" of leaders and personalities behind the Philippine drug trade:

And at the top, Don Keter.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Powered Descent posted:

poo poo man, didn't know the sun had a diameter of like half a light year.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

Not really a graph but I think this belongs here:

It's a speed limit sign for Poland. I guess it's pretty logically laid out, but consider that you'll only get to see it once when driving through the border at a decent speed. In contrast, here's the German one:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Maybe it's because I'm not from Europe, but I see nothing logical about this at all for a sign you need to take in while having only seconds to register it. It took at least a minutes to figure out *most* of it. Some are guesses I'm pretty confident, some are guesses I'm not, and there's still a couple I have no loving clue.

But this one I got immediately.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

The only one I’m not sure about is the blue car symbol.

Is it roughly the equivalent of U.S. Routes? As in, not up to motorway/interstate standards, but better than a county road.

e: Essentially, yes.

quote:

50 km/h (31 mph) in built-up areas during the day (from 5 till 23)
60 km/h (37 mph) in built-up areas during the night (from 23 till 5)
90 km/h (56 mph) on single carriageways (drogi jednojezdniowe)
100 km/h (62 mph) on dual carriageways or single carriageway expressways
120 km/h (75 mph) on dual carriageway expressways
140 km/h (87 mph) on motorways

Comparison of European road signs

U.S. Army pamphlet, because they know this poo poo is confusing.

Platystemon has a new favorite as of 14:35 on Aug 27, 2016

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Just drive very slightly slower than everyone else, unless it's a single lane, then go with the flow.

Unless the local police are dicks.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Platystemon posted:

The only one I’m not sure about is the blue car symbol.

Is it roughly the equivalent of U.S. Routes? As in, not up to motorway/interstate standards, but better than a county road.

e: Essentially, yes.

Comparison of European road signs

U.S. Army pamphlet, because they know this poo poo is confusing.

Wow. That Austrian pedestrians only sign looks like sn abduction.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

flosofl posted:

Maybe it's because I'm not from Europe, but I see nothing logical about this at all for a sign you need to take in while having only seconds to register it. It took at least a minutes to figure out *most* of it. Some are guesses I'm pretty confident, some are guesses I'm not, and there's still a couple I have no loving clue.

But this one I got immediately.
Well it's a table with rows for different classes of roads, and columns for different types of vehicles. Perfectly logical, you see. The symbols should mostly be familiar if you drove around in Europe (which you'd have to, in order to see the sign). The main problem is that there's too much poo poo for a sign like this - you've got two urban limits depending on the time of day, some merged cells, and an exception for buses that covers only some cases.

The German one, on the other hand is perfectly clear of course. Although it has been simplified to basically only show passenger cars - trucks and buses also have different limits, but the assumption is probably that professional drivers can be expected to research this poo poo on their own.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Felonious_Monk posted:

And at the top, Don Keter.

gently caress you for making this joke first. :argh:

Fashionably Great
Jul 10, 2008

Looking at this makes me irrationally angry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.
Agreed chihuahuas are garbage animals.