Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Hungryjack posted:

You're probably right. I guess we'll find out. The first time I try something, I typically overpack. Maybe I'm not up for eating 3000 calories per day.

I do this too, but as long as you haven't grossly overpacked, you should be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Just read through every recorded bear fatality in north america in the last 50 years. Always good to do before a long hike by yourself :P

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
3000 calories is good per day for a weeklong trip assuming you're actually hiking each day and not just sitting on your rear end in camp :P

2 lbs might be a bit on the heavy side for a 3000 calorie day but that's fine, your pack will just get lighter that much faster

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Tsyni posted:

Just read through every recorded bear fatality in north america in the last 50 years. Always good to do before a long hike by yourself :P

Where can I find that information?

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Ropes4u posted:

Where can I find that information?

Just on wikipedia, no idea if it's exhaustive, but it seems close maybe based on other articles I read.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fatal_bear_attacks_in_North_America

This article breaks the info down a bit on black bears in particular. Interesting stuff:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/technology/science/a-few-surprises-in-decades-long-black-bear-study/article579472/

quote:

Nine out of 10 times, the victim was alone or with only one other person. Improperly stored food and garbage was a likely attractant in 38 per cent of the incidents, but there was no evidence a black bear killed to protect a carcass, which has occurred with grizzly bears. In all cases, researchers found that bear pepper spray was not deployed as a measure of defence.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Tsyni posted:

Did you also watch The Edge for bear fighting techniques?

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Tsyni posted:

Just on wikipedia, no idea if it's exhaustive, but it seems close maybe based on other articles I read.

This article breaks the info down a bit on black bears in particular. Interesting stuff:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/technology/science/a-few-surprises-in-decades-long-black-bear-study/article579472/

After running into a mom bear and 3 cubs this Spring on the trail in the GSMNP (I was hiking the Ramsey Cascades trail) I read the same thing. Despite all the people I know who claim to have a story about someone dying from a bear attack, only 2 people have ever died in Tennessee and only one of them happen in GSMNP. That said the other death that happen closer to Chattanooga I have always found haunting:

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=950CE3D9163FF936A25757C0A9609C8B63

quote:

Black bears generally try to avoid people. In fact, there has been only one other documented fatal bear attack in Tennessee, six years ago, when a woman was killed nearby in Great Smoky Mountains National Park. There has been no explanation for the latest attack, although officials said disease was a possible reason.

Ms. Cenkus and her children were playing at the waterfall with several other groups of people about 4 p.m. Thursday when another family, returning to the parking lot along a trail, encountered the bear. That family retreated back to the pool, but the bear, having apparently tracked them, burst out of the brush near the waterfall. As adults tried to scare the animal away, its jaws seized Luke's head. Ms. Cenkus tried to fight off the bear, but it grabbed her instead and dragged her into the woods.

In the ensuing chaos, Elora apparently fled. Another person at the falls managed to make an emergency call, and when rescuers arrived, one of them found the bear hovering over Elora's body in the woods.

That said it does seem at least one non-fatal bear attack does happen in the GSMNP annually. A thru-hiker was attacked in his tent earlier this year (last I heard it was because of the lotion he was using), and a kid in a hammock almost became a bear burrito last year.

Edit: Speaking of which I did read Over the Edge: Death in Grand Canyon earlier this year, and Jesus I think about that book every time I close to an ledge in the mountains now. I have even told re-told stories in that book to my kids in hopes they would be more cautious in the mountains (they have no fear).

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Aug 26, 2016

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

any place bears get really habituated to people gets more dicey. Always felt like the "sleep with your food it's OK black bears are wusses" is not a great way to go especially along the highly traveled corridor of the AT, but the odds are still vastly in your favor.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Levitate posted:

any place bears get really habituated to people gets more dicey. Always felt like the "sleep with your food it's OK black bears are wusses" is not a great way to go especially along the highly traveled corridor of the AT, but the odds are still vastly in your favor.

I am actually surprised more people aren't attacked in the GSMNP, and I am talking the non-hiker types. These are the idiots who get out of the car on side of the road to chase a bear for a picture or who are stupid enough to try a feed one (which is a death sentence for a bear in these parts). I was coming back from a long hike earlier this year, and tons of people were out of their car trying to get close to a bear. While most had pulled over on the side of the road, some had just left their car in the middle of the road. My wife and I thought we saw some people with food. So I started to honk my horn until the bear ran. While there was some pissed off people, my righteous rear end could care less. I love the GSMNP, I just hate the tourist. Thank God 90% of them never go more than a 100 yards from there car, and you can pretty much escape them be just hiking.

ploots
Mar 19, 2010
I don't understand why some people advocate keeping your food with you at night. What is the benefit? Proving you are not scared of bears? It only takes a few minutes to hang and retrieve a bag and a bundle of pcord has negligible weight.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

turevidar posted:

I don't understand why some people advocate keeping your food with you at night. What is the benefit? Proving you are not scared of bears? It only takes a few minutes to hang and retrieve a bag and a bundle of pcord has negligible weight.

Some places there's not a handy place to bear bag and they don't want to carry bear cans (and aren't required to)

They believe it's safer for the food than bear bagging, which is easy to mess up and bears are good at figuring out how to get at bagged food

They believe black bears are harmless and scared off by the scent of humans versus the food reward

Everyone else is doing it

A lot of these things are "true", to an extent, but it's still basically saying "I sure hope a hungry bear that decides it doesn't fear humans doesn't come along and decide to rip into my tent"

It's still unlikely but I see no reason to take chances with a bear, even a "little" black bear, since they're still powerful animals that can do a lot of damage to you. I also can't help but feel that a lot of work was done to de-habituate bears to people in a lot of areas and now that bears are most likely to avoid people and aren't getting people food on the regular, people are starting to take advantage of that and push the envelop again. It's better than the days when people would feed bears and leave trash everywhere but it feels like letting temptations start creeping back into our behavior

Or I"m just a big wuss I dunno

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I grew up in a place where black bears and grizzly bears were common. I'd have black bears come right up to my front door and sniff through the screen. I've come face to face with them and never had a problem.

However, my dad has worked in forestry for most of his life and he has some sketchy stories about black bears exhibiting predatory behaviour, stalking people, and so on.

Deaths are super rare, but it's still a scary thing, haha. My favourite one is this one, that I remember hearing about at the time:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/23/nyregion/black-bear-kills-rutgers-student-during-a-hike-in-new-jersey.html?_r=0 posted:

The friends told the police they scrambled to get away from the bear, all running in different directions. Four of the men later found one another, and they called the police to help search for their missing friend, according to the authorities. Mr. Patel’s body was found about two hours later.

Doing exactly the wrong thing. It's so unlikely that a bear would attack four people standing their ground. Really unfortunate.

talktapes
Apr 14, 2007

You ever hear of the neutron bomb?

Levitate posted:

Some places there's not a handy place to bear bag and they don't want to carry bear cans (and aren't required to)

They believe it's safer for the food than bear bagging, which is easy to mess up and bears are good at figuring out how to get at bagged food

Yeah I can't count how many times I've seen people hang bear bags incorrectly, also here in the NE there are areas where you need to look almost an hour to find a suitable tree for it, especially camping higher up. Hell I've been guilty of poor bear bag hangs after a long day of hiking too, but that's why I eventually invested in an ursack, which is a drop in the bucket compared to overall gear cost.

Some prominent hiking people do sleep with their food sometimes, Andrew Skurka does it for instance. But even if you set up in an isolated area and the odds are really really low that a bear will run into your camp, any chance of getting up in the middle of the night to have to defend your food is a chance I'm not willing to take. Don't care if most black bears are wussies, it's just a situation I don't want to deal with.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

For the record, if a black bear gets the drop on me on this hike, I'm punching that bastard in the face and hoping for the best.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Hungryjack posted:

For the record, if a black bear gets the drop on me on this hike, I'm punching that bastard in the face and hoping for the best.

I saw two last week on my trip. One all the way across a meadow, hurrying along the trail (a trail that was covered in bear poo poo from all the berry shrubs in that area), and another that was careening out of control down the hill trying to get away from us

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Sounds like bears to me.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Tsyni posted:

Thank you :)

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I feel really bad for Canadian bears right now, the town of Revelstoke killed 9 "problem" bears in 3 days because no one can be arsed to properly deal with garbage and they demand to have fruit trees in their yards. Bears are awesome. I want them to stop dying.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Sorry if this is the most tired question ever, but are there any hiking boot brands that aren't super ugly? Mid-top with simple/minimal design if possible, I'm generally not doing more than 6 miles at a time but sometimes off trail which makes sandals/sneakers problematic. Bonus points if there's a color other than "brown or neon something"

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

black.lion posted:

Sorry if this is the most tired question ever, but are there any hiking boot brands that aren't super ugly? Mid-top with simple/minimal design if possible, I'm generally not doing more than 6 miles at a time but sometimes off trail which makes sandals/sneakers problematic. Bonus points if there's a color other than "brown or neon something"

"Super Ugly" is pretty subjective and I think the best you are going to do would be like a pair of New Balances or something. What are you looking for more specifically, like something that looks like "normal" sneakers?

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

Right now I'm considering the following:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00YB3BRAO/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=35OMGVO20H505&coliid=I3HCHJIA805T1E&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00R6ZS48M/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=35OMGVO20H505&coliid=I1PGELSD1D95KD&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006WSELWC/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=35OMGVO20H505&coliid=I143CBZHVJIZUR&psc=1

You're right that ugly is subjective but I'm taking all comers wrt "attractive hiking boots" so hit me with whatever comes to mind

I'm gonna be on wooded trails and hills, not climbing big mountains or rocky terrain.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

I was wondering what your goal was, like those are pretty standard for non-neon vomit boots, but if you were like wanting something that looked like $1000 english dress shoes then it would be an impossible task.

These are what I have been wearing the past two seasons:

https://www.amazon.com/North-Face-Ultra-Fastpack-Hiking/dp/B00IFDPDME
http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Hiking-Boots-Reviews/The-North-Face-Ultra-FastPack-Mid-GTX

The review is pretty spot on, they are not super durable but they lasted two years of moderate trail use and maybe 6 months of daily wear on concrete and asphalt. I was looking for a pair on non-neon when I found them and am happy enough that I am likely to buy a second pair in the spring.

Flambeau
Aug 5, 2015
Plaster Town Cop
I have these basically grey Keen Logans - theyre simple and sturdy

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
... have you looked at Lowa Renegades?

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

black.lion posted:

Here are some "pretty" and simplistic boots.

https://www.rei.com/product/104732/merrell-wilderness-usa-hiking-boots-mens

https://www.rei.com/product/852414/danner-mountain-light-ii-gtx-hiking-boots-mens

https://www.amazon.com/Scarpa-Mens-Kinesis-Hiking-Ebony/dp/B005LCP0MA/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1472314594&sr=8-5&keywords=scarpa

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

Yea mainline Danners are super nice but a bit more expensive than I was looking for, otherwise I'd buy those immediately (should have mentioned this in the first post, but sub-200$ is where I'm looking)

Lowa Renegades look good, as do those Keens. I've actually tried those North Face boots on and didn't like the way they felt/fit, but I am a fan of the styling!

I'm gonna see if there's somewhere local I can try on Renegades and Logans, thanks for the suggestions. Can anyone give me a compelling reason NOT to try the Danner Canteen I linked earlier as well? They're built for military use so I'm assuming they won't fall apart even though they're below the usual Danner price point, and I rather like the look of them, but I'd have to order them to try on and return so if there's a reason they are A Bad Idea then I'll save myself the hassle.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
They're "tough", sure, but I don't think they're the most comfortable thing for regular hiking (keep in mind this is second hand from my MP/grunt friends, I have never tried them on).

Also Lowa Renegades are the best.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

I randomly browsed REI's website then ended up ordering this 800-fill down jacket from Steep and Cheap:

http://www.steepandcheap.com/the-north-face-quince-down-jacket-mens

The winter jacket obsession has started early this year. :negative:
Guys, I am in love with 800 fill down. My controlled and totally scientific test is sitting still at my computer and it's the first jacket I've had that actually warms me up. Jackets that have failed in that regard include a 650 fill down of similar weight and a heavy Primaloft.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Steep and cheap is ...

Godly.

Also I need to think about whether to order it or not. I hope to do some winter hiking here in Ohio, but as a recently transplanted Californian I don't know how I'll deal with the cold. (I have enough wool and jackets, but still.)

Rodenthar Drothman fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Aug 28, 2016

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

winter hiking is pretty easy since the activity will keep you warm as well

winter camping is harder since you need the sleeping bag, sleeping pad, and in some cases tent to deal with the cold overnight

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010
man up and use your summer gear and bring a space blanket

if it's going to be really cold bring two space blankets

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I'm selling my almost new Mountain Hardwear eVent rain jacket (size Large): http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788270

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Aug 29, 2016

ploots
Mar 19, 2010

funkymonks posted:

Awesome. That should be a lot of fun.

It's pretty crowded. The trail up to the lake is full of families but that's only 1.5 miles. All the other trails are pretty empty. One of the guys working at the hut said they had 32 people spending the night on a Sunday night so it definitely was busy. I'd guess Saturdays are even busier.

I'm trying to work up to doing the Pemi Wilderness Loop sometime in October. I have some reservations about a couple areas that late in the year, particularly Lafayette the ridge trail . But then I'm a super conservative hiker when it comes to preparing for inclement weather conditions.

Thanks it was fun. We went north to south and didn't run into many families at all. Some bikers asked us to take their picture after they drove to the top of Washington. We were mistaken for through hikers twice.

Overall it was easier than I expected, only the last two hours or so were a grind. We stepped onto trail around 11:30 yesterday and finished around 4 today. I had vague plans to do the pemi loop in a few weeks, but I might day hike the presis instead. It seems a lot more possible now after seeing the terrain.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
I've been doing relatively short hikes for a few years now, but the only real gear I have for that purpose are the Peregrine trailrunners I got last year. As I start doing longer hikes in different climates, it's probably about time to figure out other parts of the clothing equation. Starting with: jackets.

I have exactly one jacket that I've worn on every single hike I've done. I can't determine exactly what model it is, but it looks similar to this one. For something I never even planned to hike in, it's worked pretty well. It's quite insulated, so I tend to wear it alone over a t-shirt when the temperature is in the upper 40s to 50s, or over a light fleece in the 30s to lower 40s. Problem is, it's definitely too warm for the summer, and when there's a temperature change in a hike and I need to take it off, I really can't, because my daypack would need to be almost empty to fit it.

So, first things first, I'm looking for something for the summer (specifically in a few weeks), when it's too warm for the above jacket, but I still need some protection from wind and light rain. I started out looking at lighter models of the above style of jacket, and then even lighter, until I realized that I should probably be thinking more about layers and how things will fit together when I have a larger range of gear.

What jacket or set of jackets would you guys suggest for warmer weather, and how might they fit into a more complete set later on?

A Horse Named Mandy
Feb 9, 2007
Does anybody have suggestions for a Channel Islands trip? I know backpacking is difficult because of the lack of flowing water, but I'm looking for any extended hike or prime camping spot. Hell, I don't even know which island to visit.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

TheEye posted:

What jacket or set of jackets would you guys suggest for warmer weather, and how might they fit into a more complete set later on?

I wear either a running shirt or ultralight Patagonia top as a base layer, my wife wears a kuhl long sleeve shirt with the sleeves rolled up if it's hot. We also carry a light fleece, a puffy jacket, and shell jacket in the event that it gets cold.

This guy did a decent write up on layering for hiking

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
My full layering system is as follows:

Airsim tshirt
Light/Medium LS baseleayer
SS button-up hiking shirt
Hooded fleece midlayer
Hooded puffy jacket
Hooded soft-shell/raincoat

This is for winter when it is around freezing, layers are removed or omitted when it is warmer.

I have this thing where I fear being cold, so I bring a ton of layers, but inevitably I overheat and end most days in just the SS hiking shirt and shell. I also am going to ditch the puffy jacket this winter in favor of a vest I got at the end of last winter.

My current obsession is finding the perfect cold weather rain pants. I am looking hard at fishing bibs, but I am not sure how they will be for all day wear. The other idea is Kokodat kayaking pants, which would eliminate he need to worry about wet feet, but sense they are designed to be sat in all day I don't know how they will be to move in.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

TheEye posted:

Not hiking specifically, but I do a lot of hunting off the beaten path and being comfortable in the elements is the difference between being successful or not as well as being cold and wet/dead in some circumstances and I've grown to like merino (and some synthetics) quite a bit. While what I wear is from a hunting brand, every good hiking/mountaineering brands has similar items. For anywhere between -5F and 90+F I wear some combination of:

ExOfficio boxers or light/mid/heavy merino long baselayer depending on temps
Varying weights of merino blend socks (Smartwool, Wigwam, etc)
http://www.firstlite.com/llano-crew.html lightweight merino long sleeve shirt
http://www.firstlite.com/chama-qz.html midweight merino long sleeve zip shirt
http://www.sitkagear.com/products/big-game/insulation/traverse-zip-t synthetic zip fleece shirt
http://www.firstlite.com/kanab-2-pant.html or http://www.firstlite.com/corrugate-guide-pant.html merino blend or synthetic pants
http://www.sitkagear.com/products/big-game/jackets-vests/traverse-cold-weather-hoody fleece lined DWR hoody
http://www.firstlite.com/north-branch-soft-shell-jacket.html DWR windproof fleece lined soft shell
http://www.firstlite.com/uncomprahgre-puffy.html packable insulated jacket
Marmot Precip jacket

For instance, I'm going to be hunting in WY in a month and the temps will be somewhere between 30F when I leave camp in the morning and hit the 70s during the day so I'll likely be wearing lightweight merino bottoms, Corrugate pants, the Llano and Chama, and Traverse zip T and toss the puffy and Precip in my pack for early morning glassing before the sun warms everything up. Lightweight but warm layers like merino are the key to being comfortable and active in a variety of temps.

charliebravo77 fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Aug 29, 2016

Flambeau
Aug 5, 2015
Plaster Town Cop
I just pack my Marmot rain jacket during the summer. If somehow the morning is chilly I might throw it on, but like, it's summer - just walk around for half and hour and its gonna be hot as balls soon enough?
Zippered fleeces are good for spring/autumn.
My summer clothing (for Tennessee hiking) is a short-sleeved Champion DuoDry shirt, Hanes Xtemp boxerbriefs, convertible Magellan hiking pants, Smartwool socks, Buff bandana, and Keen boots. One layer is usually more than enough around here...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nominal
Oct 13, 2007

I've never tried dried apples.
What are they?
Pork Pro
You folks do anything special for training in off-season, or if you've been out of the loop for a while?

I used to pull about one "big" 30-60 mile trip between my twenties and thirties, but now that I'm a 41 one year old dude with a wife and old-rear end friends (one of which has) not-so-good knees, I've been cutting those sorts of things much shorter, probably 20 miles over a week, tops.

I'm doing the 56 mile Tecumseh trail in southern Indiana this October, and that itself is to sort-of-prep for doing the Coastal Hiking Trail in Pukaskwa, Ontario next year.

Basically, I've just been doing a bunch of walking and cardio at the gym but I'm pretty new to the whole concept of regular exercise in general and really have no idea what I'm doing. Basically, I'm just trying to make it so I'm not wheezing at the top of a moderate incline anymore.