Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Christ, backers even got Pearl Harbor'ed when CIG hosed over wveryone who bought a Xi'An Scout and they forgot to mention they dropped a seat because they didn't loving communicate the change between the marketing team, the artist(s), and the designers.

Out of all the screw ups and debacles, I have a soft spot for Chairgate. It just wraps up everything wrong in a poo poo burrito.

It does sadden me that the Director of Spaceships was unable to find a ultimate resolution after 4 months of deep detective work due to leavers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer
I have this sneaking suspicion that Ben's lack of oversight over the project and what people are working could be due to the fact that once he's finally gotten into his office room, he seldom or hesitantly leaves it again during the workday due to different circumstances of which I can name none right now.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Erenthal posted:

I have this sneaking suspicion that Ben's lack of oversight over the project and what people are working could be due to the fact that once he's finally gotten into his office room, he seldom or hesitantly leaves it again during the workday due to different circumstances of which I can name none right now.
That and being half-blind and full-poo poo.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Remember when the videogame developer spent days/weeks scanning old papers onto his computer.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Decrepus posted:

Remember when the videogame developer spent days/weeks scanning old papers onto his computer.

No, actually. What's the story?

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Decrepus posted:

Not "old papers", you goddamn heretic. Sacred artefacts wrought by the blessed hands of Saint Roberts (patron of the diabetically blind), telling stories of heroism and grandeur in space.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Erenthal posted:

You mean he'd have to WALK to view other people's work?!

"gently caress that noise, I'm just going to sit down and finish my 3rd pizza. Yes, I realize its only 10 in the morning, get back to work!"

-Lesnick, probably

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Foo Diddley posted:

Ben stays at work late so that he can photocopy, digitize, and store old Wing Commander poo poo in filing cabinets.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Foo Diddley posted:

He twitted some pics of his office. Had about three stacks of paper about three feet high. He stated his pressing job was to scan them in.

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Foo Diddley posted:

Ben triumphantly tweeted that he'd spent the entire workday (or more, can't remember) scanning a poo poo ton of old WC stuff. Manuals, marketing poo poo, box art and so on.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Ben stays at work late so that he can photocopy, digitize, and store old Wing Commander poo poo in filing cabinets.

Colostomy Bag posted:

He twitted some pics of his office. Had about three stacks of paper about three feet high. He stated his pressing job was to scan them in.

Erenthal posted:

Ben triumphantly tweeted that he'd spent the entire workday (or more, can't remember) scanning a poo poo ton of old WC stuff. Manuals, marketing poo poo, box art and so on.

Thanks, guys. I do remember that, but I thought Decrepus was talking about Chris. "Videogame developer" threw me off

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Ben is just as much a developer as Chris.

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Skellybones posted:

Ben is just as much a developer as Chris.

One develops dreams and the other develops sepsis.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Erenthal posted:

One develops dreams and the other develops sepsis.

Ben has more engineering debt than Star Citizen

Pig artery for the triple bypass...
Peg leg/bionic leg for the amputation...

The list goes on.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Ben has more engineering debt than Star Citizen

Pig artery for the triple bypass...
Peg leg/bionic leg for the amputation...

The list goes on.

Gentlemen we can rebuild him...into the Six Million Calorie Man.

Complaint Compilation
Apr 8, 2016

:sax:

tooterfish posted:

I thought that was a joke. He said that?

No, no, haha. I made up the half-rear end joke about dickwulf and his katana.
Doesn't stop it from probably being true :v:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Colostomy Bag posted:

The 6 Million Gram Man!

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Erenthal posted:

It would also be really unsurprising if the people he works with have some level of contempt for the dude, or view him as an annoyance. From what I understand he got the job for being "Chris Roberts Fan #1", and I doubt he has to put in nearly as many hours/as much effort as the actual developers.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat

Colostomy Bag posted:

Inkel
Feb 19, 2004

College Slice

All the other sizes are 50-100+ remaining :btroll:

Synchronized
Jul 24, 2011
Tick Tock.

Tokamak posted:

This just pretty much confirms that all of the planets and moons will be empty except for that one station in 3.0. They're just rushing the planets out and filling them in later, just as this post suggests.

I found it telling that their big planetary landing reveal and subsequent moon were both empty expanses of rock. I mean I know that is pretty much the case in reality, but you'd figure for their BIG SHOW, they'd have something more impressive.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
this guy is cool ad I want to be his friend

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/342414/gamescom-reveal

quote:

Yes yes - looks great and all... but seemed to me what it said on the tin ('a demo').. as in.. one planet, one mission NPC.. people watch the video on screen and cheer everytime the ship takes off.. CR stands there and feels like a god... We all just wanna play this drat game.. I, like others paid my money for my ship bout 3 years ago, and have been waitin however long it is for this game to come out.. 5 years is it so far..?

I mean.. it looks pretty and all.. but still yet nothin really decent to actually PLAY. Also still no mention of a release date. I know "games development" long timelines.. unpredictable blah blah.. but RSI MUST have some idea by now of the timescale thing are gonna take and at least give an indication of an actual 'game' release (and i dont mean sh*tty arena commander/boring racing, or the extremely unpolished V2.4/2.5 (havent played it yet... spent bout 5mins on 2.4 before giving up due to unpolishedness...). This guy posted the following on forums other day and it honestly really sums up my own (and im guessing everyone else's experience) of the current release so I thought I would requote it here...

"You log in to virtually no information. Just a couple of choices. Ok, pick one. Go to Universe and see two more unexplained choices... great. Chose one. End up in a nearly unpopulated city that while looks amazing, has nothing interesting to do. Ok... back out and select other option. End up in an unpopulated section of hallways, with nothing to do. Ok.... back out and go to my hanger and stare at my ship I paid $150 for lol. Yet still nothing to do.

Either this game still needs a ridiculous amount of work, or I am seriously missing something. And judging by the threads and such talking about gameplay, I have to assume Im missing something. A LOT of somethings lol.

Anyone willing to help a brother out? Because I keep checking back every couple months and its the same odd, pointless stuff. Just slightly cleaned up now. "

This is what they have produced after 5 years... and I mean RELEASED, as in tangeable evidence of existing (not some youtube demo/vid)... and the worst part is... ITS NOT EVEN FUN. If anything its actually BAD, you know - like a terrible game (for reference see - 'No Mans Sky') :-P

Im not posting this to be negative even tho it seems like that.. i just really cannot see this game coming out for flippin' ages.. I get the vibe people are pinning their hopes on end of this year to be somethin that is actually near finished/released (hell even BETA), but seems to me that is not gonna even be close in terms of timeframe of this 'project'. The wording in the latest newsletter seems to me to be suggesting they are still way off releasing anything substantial "This was just a taste of the larger universe we are bringing to life. There is still work to be done" i.e. ye - they made a demo vid, and ye - it looks cool but its nothing in all reality (i think i see what people are talkin about when they suggest CR is great at showboating but not great at actually producing anything much worthwhile). Im sure the game will get there 'eventually'... but if ya ask me its probably gonna be another 5 years before full release reading between the lines.. which, in all honesty is a bit beyond a frickin' joke.. VR games will probably be insane by then, and Star Citizen will seem like '1990's' game rather than the cutting edge its supposed to be...

In my humble view - they should just scale back 'a bit' on their ambitions, make something playable and get the drat thing out there so we can all have a go.. rather than watch some 'youtube demo' with someone else at the wheel.. and 1 npc in sight....

Now - I know im gonna get flamed/trolled/beaten up over this post and people crying 'you are just being negative' and 'games development takes a long time' blah blah.. the usual sh*t but honestly im sayin whats on my mind over this game.. Im just bored of waiting.. is it even gonna be released in my lifetime? haha.. no joke.. but that's how its startin 2 feel. JUST GET THE drat THING RELEASED ALREADY.

Troll/flame/rant away...

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Doxcat is watching you PU.
Dont forget Bart tax.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Heh, love the poll results. Not a cult.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Mercury_Storm posted:

I doubt he has to put in nearly as many hours as the actual developers.

I beg to differ.

Free snacks and sodas, and unlimited access to the old Wing Commander archives in the dusty file cabinets Roberts bought along from Origin Systems? Plus moderator forum access to lord over lesser spergs and demonstrate his authority?

I doubt that fucker ever leaves the office, except when he requires hospitalization.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Goobs posted:

Dont forget Bart tax.

If you don't like this kitty I have a wonderful loving home for him. My cats Smokes and Timmy would love a new playmate.

He's a cutie.

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Doxcat is watching you PU.

D1E posted:

If you don't like this kitty I have a wonderful loving home for him. My cats Smokes and Timmy would love a new playmate.

He's a cutie.

Hes basically the best. Him and Kitsa were two of my best choices in life.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Inkel posted:

All the other sizes are 50-100+ remaining :btroll:

Is that photoshop or are they really using Sandi to showcase merchandise?

If so...the ugh...that just feels so wrong but I don't really know why.

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

Grimey Drawer

BigglesSWE posted:

But just imagine that you could be the one to get the hoodie she modelled in! Just inhale that smell and imagine that you are in space by her side and not dying from obesity related heart disease in your parents moldy basement.

Synchronized
Jul 24, 2011
Tick Tock.

BigglesSWE posted:

Sandi is a professional model and Star Citizen actor, there was never any other choice.

After the flag, nothing surprises me.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Why do shitizens keep insisting that this is an AAA game? If it just ends up as a space ARMA, with janky physics, half-assed animation, and really crude damage models, it would still be a fun game to fart around in. I'd be on board for something like that.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Goobs posted:

Dont forget Bart tax.

Dat catte good action catte! Can see in eyes! Very good catte! Makes action (and might break stuff)!

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Double float precision and full on ProcGen. Publicly confirmed as "in the game".

Why the gently caress then the game remains artificially limited to a capped speed of 0.2C, forced straight line quantum travel between 2 points and reduced planetary scales?

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

Mercury_Storm posted:

It would also be really unsurprising if the people he works with have some level of contempt for the dude, or view him as an annoyance. From what I understand he got the job for being "Chris Roberts Fan #1", and I doubt he has to put in nearly as many hours/as much effort as the actual developers.

I think this is most likely what happens. A dude with zero programming or project management experience gets put in charge of this thing, and everyone under him hates him. He doesn't have the knowledge base to even ask the right questions to any of his artists or programmers, and is constantly nervous about being made to look like an idiot, so he hides away in his office playing with old wing commander poo poo.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

MedicineHut posted:

Double float precision and full on ProcGen. Publicly confirmed as "in the game".

Why the gently caress then the game remains artificially limited to a capped speed of 0.2C, forced straight line quantum travel between 2 points and reduced planetary scales?

Because no-one needs to turn in not-hyperspace. You need to have some reason to leave your immersion chair to immersion-fiddle with your immersion rack-space components. Duh.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Xaerael posted:

I watched this on a loop last night hoping to seed some Star Citizen Dreams (tm)...

Make sure you turn up the sound to max and grab your hankies.

https://gifsound.com/?gif=i.imgur.com/MwlBRFK.gif&v=SIYvkGJHr08&s=19

(sorry for stealing your goon valor Thatguy)
I wanted to take the actual scene and edit it so Jack is Chris. Then when he says, "Open your eyes" it would cut to the game with the recorder version playing as I aimlessly hover around in the world he's built.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MDPeL8lpzo
I'm lazy though so that might never get made.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Tippis posted:

Because no-one needs to turn in not-hyperspace. You need to have some reason to leave your immersion chair to immersion-fiddle with your immersion rack-space components. Duh.

Oh ok. hosed if true.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

BigglesSWE posted:

Its a bad photoshop of a photoshop using Sandi to showcase more merchandise in addition to the other merchandise she's already done.

ripptide
Jul 28, 2016

Colostomy Bag posted:

Heh, love the poll results. Not a cult.

64 votes....that's a majority, by gum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

ripptide posted:

64 votes....that's a majority, by gum.

It is when everyone else has been banned.

• Locked thread