Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

cebrail posted:

Internet Explorer has a "add this website to task bar" thing in its menu that I use for my Netflix shortcut, does Edge not have that?

I don't know. I'm not a primarily Windows user and like I said I literally just haven't even spent 0.1 seconds to bother with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Read posted:

I think I'm using a combination of some Classic Theme Restorer options and this userChrome to fix the address bar.

code:
#PopupAutoCompleteRichResult richlistitem:first-of-type[actiontype="searchengine"],
#PopupAutoCompleteRichResult richlistitem[actiontype="visiturl"] { visibility:collapse !important; }
#PopupAutoCompleteRichResult .autocomplete-richlistbox {
	height: auto !important;
	max-height: calc(31px * 10) !important;
	}

Nice, thanks for this. Working perfectly.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
That did the trick as well. Thanks!

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Avenging Dentist posted:

NOD32 is about the only tolerable third-party AV utility I've used, but even then I'm not 100% convinced it's better than Microsoft's.
Webroot is also doing alright, as long as you can handle their blackbox approach to the behind the scenes management. I do prefer Nod32 though.

Gerudo Rivera
Jan 22, 2005

Tamba posted:

Twitter does something weird and creates a basically infinite amount of useless cookies. This causes Firefox to eventually wipe out the login cookie, once some limit is reached, due to the way it decides which cookies to clean out. More details here
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1264192

from what I can tell from this thread, no one has found a consistent, long-term solution to this issue. my short-term fix had already stopped working, so I guess I'll just get used to signing back in to twitter every time I restart the dang browser

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

One more reason I tend to avoid the website, and just use Fenix on my phone.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Tamba posted:

Twitter does something weird and creates a basically infinite amount of useless cookies. This causes Firefox to eventually wipe out the login cookie, once some limit is reached, due to the way it decides which cookies to clean out. More details here
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1264192

So that's the root cause. Well, I have atered my Twitter usage lately, so I guess that explains why I haven't been logged out of Twitter between restarts

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I know they're different companies with different approaches, but is there any reason why Chrome is so much more responsive than Firefox?

It's obviously not a deal breaker but things that are instant with Chrome (opening a new tab/window, switching between tabs, opening menus, etc) seem to have a slight delay with Firefox.

Firefox seems to use less memory, so maybe Chrome is just precaching more things on RAM?

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

I know they're different companies with different approaches, but is there any reason why Chrome is so much more responsive than Firefox?

It's obviously not a deal breaker but things that are instant with Chrome (opening a new tab/window, switching between tabs, opening menus, etc) seem to have a slight delay with Firefox.

Firefox seems to use less memory, so maybe Chrome is just precaching more things on RAM?

This isn't an issue I have with Firefox. Chrome is the slowest browser on my PC.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

To oversimplify, Chrome was designed from the ground up to run a separate copy of the program for each tab, which improves reliability and security and keeps activities in one tab from impacting performance in other tabs. The downside is that it drastically increases memory usage. Mozilla realized awhile back that they would need to switch to the same design, but because of the vast number of existing add-ons that would be broken by the change and competing priorities, it is just now being implemented in Firefox.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Additionally I had that slow-Firefox vs. fast-Chrome on my PC until I reinstalled the OS as part of my Win10 upgrade. Now both are as fast as each other (and both faster than before). It could be OS rust that's slowing it down for you?

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Chrome used to be more responsive for me a few years back but Firefox with E10s performs just about the same if not better. Plus I don't like the extra crap Chrome is bundled with these days.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Alereon posted:

To oversimplify, Chrome was designed from the ground up to run a separate copy of the program for each tab, which improves reliability and security and keeps activities in one tab from impacting performance in other tabs. The downside is that it drastically increases memory usage. Mozilla realized awhile back that they would need to switch to the same design, but because of the vast number of existing add-ons that would be broken by the change and competing priorities, it is just now being implemented in Firefox.

Of the people I still see on Firefox, many of them (including me) tend to keep a giant list of tabs open to come back to whenever. This sounds like that will be likely to become extremely system-impacting..?

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Depends on how many tabs you're talking about and how much free memory you tend to have. There's also the option to use an addon to unload unused tabs, which is what I would recommend anyone trying to use a browser with abnormally many tabs open do.

hazzlebarth
May 13, 2013

Is anybody else experiencing problems with Firefox 48 and NTLM authentication? Users are being asked credentials to authenticate with our webproxy every time they restart Firefox. In Firefox 47 this works without problems.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

hazzlebarth posted:

Is anybody else experiencing problems with Firefox 48 and NTLM authentication? Users are being asked credentials to authenticate with our webproxy every time they restart Firefox. In Firefox 47 this works without problems.

I haven't noticed problems with the proxy at work, but I noticed that it didn't automatically pass in my NTLM credentials to an internal website and I had to manually type them into the username/password dialog that popped open.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Read posted:

Depends on how many tabs you're talking about and how much free memory you tend to have. There's also the option to use an addon to unload unused tabs, which is what I would recommend anyone trying to use a browser with abnormally many tabs open do.

I can't trust these any more. I've dealt with two in the last year that have ended up blanking everything but the tab label, due to some change under Firefox's hood that the developer didn't immediately catch.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Okay, question about bookmarks, since this latest update seems to have still borked my setup. For some reason, certain bookmarks won't appear in the main searchbar unless all other options have been exhausted and I type out the entire address, but other bookmarks will show up immediately. Is there a tweak I can do somewhere to automatically sort all bookmarks to the top of any search rather than needing to go digging for them?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

My school's Moodle setup has an insanely short period before it logs you out for inactivity. Can I get a recommendation on an extension that refreshes pages on a timer? Preferably one that I can set once and forget about, I only need to have it on Moodle's dashboard.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

TabMixPlus lets you set a refresh timer on any page.

Right-click on the page, choose Reload Tab Every >, and set the time you want. You can even set a custom time.

I've been using TMP for so long, I don't remember if it's enabled by default (I think it is, though). If it's not, in the settings for TMP, click on the Menu icon, then on the Tab Context Menu, check Reload Tab.

Kheldarn fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Aug 31, 2016

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I've got a wierd thing going on lately where youtube vids don't autoplay until I actually click play, and youtube in general is just buggy and annoying. Any common things to check for this?

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

-Troika- posted:

I've got a wierd thing going on lately where youtube vids don't autoplay until I actually click play, and youtube in general is just buggy and annoying. Any common things to check for this?

Check if media.autoplay.enabled is set to false in about :config.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Kheldarn posted:

TabMixPlus lets you set a refresh timer on any page.

Right-click on the page, choose Reload Tab Every >, and set the time you want. You can even set a custom time.

I've been using TMP for so long, I don't remember if it's enabled by default (I think it is, though). If it's not, in the settings for TMP, click on the Menu icon, then on the Tab Context Menu, check Reload Tab.
Thanks for the tip. That's one major annoyance done away with.

NVB
Jan 23, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Are they're any extensions / addons etc that can auto-magically translate the page to english ?

Something like what Chrome does when visiting a webpage that is in a different language it auto-magically refreshes the page and makes it english translation.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Does CTR have a setting somewhere to push the page status/URL target pop-up in the bottom left onto the status bar, or am I going to need another add-on for that? I'm not seeing an option for it in the CTR settings but it's pretty easy to miss things given how many options there are.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

Making it Rain posted:

Are they're any extensions / addons etc that can auto-magically translate the page to english ?

Something like what Chrome does when visiting a webpage that is in a different language it auto-magically refreshes the page and makes it english translation.

Not quite what you're aiming for, but I have gtranslate that adds an item to the right-click context menu. Said context menu item will also auto-translate highlighted text if you haven't translated the whole page.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

isndl posted:

Does CTR have a setting somewhere to push the page status/URL target pop-up in the bottom left onto the status bar, or am I going to need another add-on for that? I'm not seeing an option for it in the CTR settings but it's pretty easy to miss things given how many options there are.
The status bar doesn't exist in Firefox (it was removed in Firefox 4) so I assume you mean the location bar?

I don't think CTR can do that, this addon will let you push the hovered over link into the location bar like in this screenshot:

I didn't look into it, but I'm pretty sure there are other location bar tweaking addons with similar functionality. Maybe that breadcrumbs one does it?

Maybe you mean the addons bar (appears at the bottom of the screen) in which case add the following to your userChrome.css (or a Stylish stylescript):

code:
/* only needed once at the top of the page */
@namespace url("http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul");

statuspanel {
	z-index: 1 !important;
	bottom: 1px !important;
}

toolbar#addon-bar {
	z-index: 0 !important;
}

Read fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Sep 3, 2016

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Does anyone know of an add-on or Greasemonkey script that unfucks the developer pages on the Play Store? It used to be that if you clicked on a developer's name, it would show you all their apps in a grid format, like you get when you search for an app. Now it's this stupid bullshit where you get a giant image for the developer, then at the bottom, you get a row of like 5 apps, and you have to keep clicking a stupid arrow on the page to scroll.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Kheldarn posted:

Does anyone know of an add-on or Greasemonkey script that unfucks the developer pages on the Play Store? It used to be that if you clicked on a developer's name, it would show you all their apps in a grid format, like you get when you search for an app. Now it's this stupid bullshit where you get a giant image for the developer, then at the bottom, you get a row of like 5 apps, and you have to keep clicking a stupid arrow on the page to scroll.

Assuming the testing I did holds as a general case, I don't actually use the play store so I might be wrong:

There are two kinds of developer urls in the play store.

1) https://play.google.com/store/apps/dev?id=5700313618786177705
2) https://play.google.com/store/apps/developer?id=Google+Inc.

The former displays in the way you don't like, the latter displays in the way you do like. Since all the necessary information for this is in the HTML of the page it should be very easy to resolve.

Find (regex) dev\?id\=(?P<developerID>\d+) and replace with "developer?id="+developerID

But I don't actually know any js and I can't be bothered to learn, so someone else will have to actually write the script.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Sadly, that doesn't seem to work for all of them. I tried it with Kemco, and got a Not Found error.

I'm an idiot, and forgot to modify the URL right. Works fine!

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

isndl posted:

Install Status-4-Evar alongside Classic Theme Restorer, and ignore its horrible stupid name.

NVB
Jan 23, 2010

Grimey Drawer

fourwood posted:

Not quite what you're aiming for, but I have gtranslate that adds an item to the right-click context menu. Said context menu item will also auto-translate highlighted text if you haven't translated the whole page.

Cheers mate, not exactly what i am looking for but thnx for the suggestion though. :)

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Read posted:

The status bar doesn't exist in Firefox (it was removed in Firefox 4) so I assume you mean the location bar?

I don't think CTR can do that, this addon will let you push the hovered over link into the location bar like in this screenshot:

I didn't look into it, but I'm pretty sure there are other location bar tweaking addons with similar functionality. Maybe that breadcrumbs one does it?

Maybe you mean the addons bar (appears at the bottom of the screen) in which case add the following to your userChrome.css (or a Stylish stylescript):

code:
/* only needed once at the top of the page */
@namespace url("http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul");

statuspanel {
	z-index: 1 !important;
	bottom: 1px !important;
}

toolbar#addon-bar {
	z-index: 0 !important;
}

Yeah, I meant the add-on bar (which is basically the old status bar except you can move it). Seems odd that CTR doesn't have it as an option given everything else it does. Does userChrome changes get saved via the Firefox Sync? I'm assuming no, since it doesn't save add-on configurations.

Knormal posted:

Install Status-4-Evar alongside Classic Theme Restorer, and ignore its horrible stupid name.

This was how I did it previously, but after reinstalling Firefox due to having to reset Windows I thought I'd streamline my add-ons a bit. Guess there's no choice.

In other news, my Firefox is throwing "Couldn't load XPCOM." errors when clicking links in other apps. Quick Googling shows most people who get it are trying to cold launch Firefox, but I already have Firefox running and I'm typing this post in it. :iiam:

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

How the heck do I make my homepage the new tab page with my top sites?

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Skim Milk posted:

How the heck do I make my homepage the new tab page with my top sites?

Use about :newtab as the homepage... page.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I've been using wikiwand and I really like that when I double tap CTRL it pops up the search bar so I can type directly into it without clicking. Is there an addon that provides this fucntionality on any page/site with a search bar?

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Alright, I installed uBlock Origin, are there any tips for using it, or should I not touch it

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

BillmasterCozb posted:

Alright, I installed uBlock Origin, are there any tips for using it, or should I not touch it

The defaults are pretty much fine. I mostly only have to open it to block a div that's still present after the ad inside was blocked and is compressing some other content (namely video player sizes on lovely pirate stream sites).

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Hey, remember when we all left Ablock Plus in the dirt? I wonder what they're doing now?

Adblock Plus finds the end-game of its business model: Selling ads

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Gorilla Salad posted:

Hey, remember when we all left Ablock Plus in the dirt? I wonder what they're doing now?

Adblock Plus finds the end-game of its business model: Selling ads
You either die a hero or live long enough to become the villain.