Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Ravenfood posted:

I do, constantly, because fencing is so far from its roots that its essentially divorced from them and is its own entity at this point. That's why it is a sport! Like, I roll my eyes at the HEMA people who try to tell me that I'm not doing real swordfighting because its so inherently obvious that I'm not doing real swordfighting that even having to say it is stupid. Why you've decided that your own weird definition of fencing is exclusionary and essentially "swordfighting", I'm not sure, but that's really not the definition most people would use. If you said you were a fencer, I'd probably ask which weapon and not think longsword, but I'm not going to say that longsword isn't a real sport so they can't be fencers. And most people probably don't think "longsword" when they hear "fencer" either. Because both wikipedia and Myrian-Webster (like, sure I know neither are definitive, but they are good for defining colloquial terms) for the entry for "fencing" describe "a sport in which two competitors fight using 'Rapier-style' swords, winning points by making contact with their opponent" and "the art or practice of attack and defense with the foil, épée, or saber". So yeah, that's why its so weird to have people tell me that I'm not doing real swordfighting. I'm not, because I am fencing.

Why don't you define what "real" fencing is, then, since you're apparently using a different definition from the rest of the world.

I never said anything about "sword fighting". I'm sorry so many HEMA people have tried to make that argument against you and sport fencing.

In my eyes the art of fencing is the art of defending yourself with a weapon (not necessarily a sword) against someone else with a weapon. Hit and don't get hit. Realism and intent play a part in that, which is why I'm not saying "sport fencing is definitely not at all fencing". I'm saying sport fencing is its own distinct entity that exists perhaps alongside fencing. There's fencing, and there's sport fencing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Siivola posted:

I'm on a hot take roll today, so here's one for you guys: The "reality" we glorify in HEMA is entirely invented based on fragmented scholarship, pop history and movies. I mean, when kit up for freeplay, I have no loving clue what sort of role I'm supposed to play. Am I getting jumped in a back alley? Am I trying to take this guy prisoner, or vice versa? Is this guy just being a huge poo poo and honor demands I stab him in the face? Isn't that kind of important when you consider what you're supposed to be doing?

Haha no, it's just ~the duel~. The same duel I'd fight with a sidesword, sabre or one of those fabulous dueling shields. Whoever doesn't get hit wins. :dawkins101:
we may not fight like they fought, but what's preventing you from training like they trained? that's what hema is, in my opinion

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Verisimilidude posted:

I never said anything about "sword fighting". I'm sorry so many HEMA people have tried to make that argument against you and sport fencing.

In my eyes the art of fencing is the art of defending yourself with a weapon (not necessarily a sword) against someone else with a weapon. Hit and don't get hit. Realism and intent play a part in that, which is why I'm not saying "sport fencing is definitely not at all fencing". I'm saying sport fencing is its own distinct entity that exists perhaps alongside fencing. There's fencing, and there's sport fencing.
I tried to change wording and use "swordfighting" to be what it seemed like your definition of "fencing" was, and used "fencing" to describe what the rest of the world defines as fencing. Sorry for any confusion. And yes, if you're saying "fencing" is distinct from "real fencing" you're...saying that sport fencing is not fencing, or at the very least implying some sort of weird superiority about what "real" fencing is when the rest of the world would call "Olympic fencing" "real fencing". If you're trying to say that fencing is a very broad term that encompasses Olympic fencing, sport fencing, and the various subgroups of HEMA that I'm less familiar with, then you're doing a very bad job of it because then you need to say that all of them are all types of fencing. Which, by the way, is closer to my position and why its so irritating that HEMA people to keep whining about the the sport people when its (a very few) EMA people who are being weirdly judgmental and exclusionary.

Your definition is either so broad as to include Olympic fencing and sport fencing as "fencing", or you're making assumptions about other words, or you haven't defined it enough. "Weapon" for instance. Olypmpic blades certainly aren't weapons, because I'm not trying to hurt someone with them, nor are they designed for it, though I could. Which means if I and another person decided to take epees and try to actually kill/hurt each other with them, we'd be fencing I guess? Using feders, similarly, probably mean that you're not "fencing", because they are not designed to injure. Guns are, but I don't think you're trying to say that two people shooting each other are "fencing," even though they are both defending themselves with weapons, trying to hit the other, and trying not to get hit. Two people smashing each other with clubs is fencing? Are fists "weapons?" Intent "plays a part", but what is it when one person trying to kill the other, the other person trying to count coup before running? What if one person is trying to kill the other, and the second person is desperately trying not to hit their opponent? Fencing or not? Could you describe a time you have "fenced" under your definition?

Can we justdescribe your personal definition of fencing as "artisanal fencing" from here on out, maybe?

edit:

HEY GAL posted:

we may not fight like they fought, but what's preventing you from training like they trained? that's what hema is, in my opinion
Good news! Depending on who you mean by "they", they trained with foil and epee before foil and epee got spun off into their own thing. But joking aside, that's one of the things I liked about HEMA. People in my group would look through translations and then try to figure out what they meant through drill, practice, and sparring. That was cool. Like, I do remember when choosing to generally prefer vom tag to pflug (iirc, its been over 10 years) suddenly clicked for me thanks to some sparring, because at first glance, pflug just seems so, so much safer. Neat little transition.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Aug 27, 2016

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

HEY GAL posted:

That's a good question, and I don't really have a good answer. This might just be a case of me being frustrated at my own training again, because at our club we have a massive problem with people not committing to anything when freeplaying. Everyone is just desperate to not give a touch to the opponent because getting stabbed is bad (~realism~), and so people just circle each other and wait for an attack to parry.

Like, why are these people fighting with swords if they do not have a single beef between them?

I get it's totally a training culture problem, but it's not entirely unrelated to this idea that all combat with swords is mortal and you should never take any risks ever.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
^ What system are you training?

Ravenfood posted:

You've got a weird chip on your shoulder about this, but if it makes you feel better, I'll go back and clarify when I'm responding to you, KyloWinter, specifically, and when I'm responding to Matt Easton said in the video that you, KyloWinter, linked.

Maybe because I didn't link it.

barkbell fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Aug 27, 2016

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

KyloWinter posted:

Maybe because I didn't link it.
poo poo. You're right. I'm sorry about that.

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

Verisimilidude posted:

In my eyes the art of fencing is the art of defending yourself with a weapon (not necessarily a sword) against someone else with a weapon.
What you describe is not only fencing, its basically every traditional martial art. Fighting completely unarmed (in contrast to unarmed skills that supplement a weapon) is a rather new development and wasn't really a thing for the largest part of human history (outside of sport competitions of course).

Verisimilidude posted:

Hit and don't get hit. Realism and intent play a part in that
All of that (well, apart from realism) is in sports fencing too. Also as long as people dont start to use longswords in earnest again, there is no realism in longsword fencing either.

If you want realism, go to the phillipines and start selling drugs. Someone will propably show you a realistic application of macheties or something.

Siivola posted:

I'm on a hot take roll today, so here's one for you guys: The "reality" we glorify in HEMA is entirely invented based on fragmented scholarship, pop history and movies.
Also this.

Siivola posted:

Haha no, it's just ~the duel~. The same duel I'd fight with a sidesword, sabre or one of those fabulous dueling shields. Whoever doesn't get hit wins. :dawkins101:
Hey, thats totally historical. The whole feder fencing is just historical sports fencing introduced by some german guy (Joachim Meyer) who was pissed off that the glorious german longsword became outdated because everybody wanted to use those darn foreign rapiers for serious work (even he suggested to use rapiers for self defense).

HEY GAL posted:

Honestly, this is the best definition there is. I still refuse to dress up though.

Nektu fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Aug 27, 2016

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Siivola posted:

I'm on a hot take roll today, so here's one for you guys: The "reality" we glorify in HEMA is entirely invented based on fragmented scholarship, pop history and movies. I mean, when kit up for freeplay, I have no loving clue what sort of role I'm supposed to play. Am I getting jumped in a back alley? Am I trying to take this guy prisoner, or vice versa? Is this guy just being a huge poo poo and honor demands I stab him in the face? Isn't that kind of important when you consider what you're supposed to be doing?

I think a lot of fechtbucher appear to have been written with judicial duels in mind, as opposed to teh mean streetz of the 16th century, so I don't see a huge problem here with taking that sort of "final destination, no items" duel as a scenario to prepare for.
But then there's stuff like the Montante manuals aimed at bodyguard duty, or dagger stuff that is more self defense oriented, so I do get your point that there's a bunch of other potential contexts, and could take a second or two to think about what our context is before jumping right into training.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Nektu posted:

Hey, thats totally historical. The whole feder fencing is just historical sports fencing introduced by some german guy (Joachim Meyer) who was pissed off that the glorious german longsword became outdated because everybody wanted to use those darn foreign rapiers for serious work (even he suggested to use rapiers for self defense).
I think (but can't confirm) feders predate Meyer quite a bit, as does fencing with them for sport. According to Wiktenauer, instead of revitalizing longsword Meyer was trying to adapt the old sources on the sword to the legislation and the fencing guild rules.

On an unrelated note, here's a neat video for all you sabreists:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydQ19fbXzFU
(Will probably make more sense if you also read this article.)

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
All of this talk about the histories, what we know and don't, and how things evolved? Really cool!

Watching the longsworders at my club? Really cool!

Would I be sport fencing if it was more like classical fencing? Not a chance!

(But as annoying as this discussion has been at times, it's still been a million times better than anything on fencing.net)

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
i'm too sober to fight like they fought anyway

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

KyloWinter posted:

^ What system are you training?
Oh, I missed this. We do Fiore's longsword, although I'm trying to branch out to single-handed stuff because it's slightly safer. I'm working on Manciolino's sword and buckler stuff for the Helsinki Bolognese Open, and I'm hoping to get started on early 19th century military sabre sometime soon-ish.

Oh and I'm gonna do foil too.

Why do I start so many things at once why. :negative:

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

Siivola posted:

According to Wiktenauer, instead of revitalizing longsword Meyer was trying to adapt the old sources on the sword to the legislation and the fencing guild rules.
This is basically what I wanted to say. Longswords gradually fell out of general use and he wanted to keep the tradition alive (if only in the context of those fencing guild competitions).

Siivola posted:

I think (but can't confirm) feders predate Meyer quite a bit, as does fencing with them for sport.
Interesting. Which fighting system did they use with the feders before meyer introduced his Liechtenauer version?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I had to go back and make sure that I didn't imagine feders predating Meÿer. The fightbook illustrations are generally kinda bad, but Mair's manual from 1540 shows longswords that are clearly feders. Meÿer was born in 1538. As for the fencing style, some form of sportified Liechtenauer is possible. The Marxbrüder had been around since the 15th century, many authors in the tradition are connected to them, and they were still active in Meÿer's time. It may have still been a living (if unpopular) tradition back then.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Neat. Is that why the longsword seems to focus on unarmored combat?

e: vvvv Yeah, I meant most of the fechtbuch stuff I remember looking at ages ago.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Aug 27, 2016

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

The earliest sources on the longsword (Fiore and early Liechtenauer glosses) all do include fighting in armour (and mounted), but it's always a separate section. Once we get to the 16th century, armoured combat starts disappearing from the books for some reason. I'm not even going to guess why, I have no idea. It's not like armour goes out of fashion yet, the coolest suits get made in the 1500's. Some 15th century manuscripts get reproduced wholesale in the 16th, but new, original material seems to focus on the sword in plain clothes. It probably mirrors the fencing habits of the people buying the books, but the scholarship into that is kinda spotty.

But if you mean why unarmoured longsword is popular today, it's because we're all flat broke and can't afford properly fitted harnesses. (Because all our money goes into padded jackets and fencing mask overlays, natch. :v:)

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Siivola posted:

But if you mean why unarmoured longsword is popular today, it's because we're all flat broke and can't afford properly fitted harnesses. (Because all our money goes into padded jackets and fencing mask overlays, natch. :v:)
my armor sucks so bad bro

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Ravenfood posted:

Sabre, really briefly, had a similar progression to foil in that it went cavalry weapon > practice > sportified practice. I think. Sabre is weird.

No horseys! (Yeah, I'm going to be a pedantic poo poo now.)

The ~1 pound blade matches better with the lighter officer's sabre and other cut-and-thrust swords (I may not be using that term right) than the heavy cavalry sabre (which are, what, 3-5 pounds? I know they were basically long axes). I had always believed that sabre traces its roots back to military dueling with the officers weapon, but I finally decided to do some research and was a little off. The two sources I recently read are: a historical manual, Hungarian and Highland Broadsword, and The Secret History of the Sword by J. Christoph Amberger.

Most of the big plates in Broadsword showcase cavalry which is wildly different from what you see in modern sabre. But the two plates at page 16 of the pdf showcases the need and advantage of the leg slip, something any modern epeeist understands very well. I knew that "yield leg, cut head" was a thing and saw that as a better explanation for the elimination of legs in sabre. The final large plates depict drilling on foot that, to my eyes, look quite a bit like paired drilling I'd see for sabre.

Amberger's book, being written by a historian, is very interesting and seems worth a full read in it's own right. But it's his opening section that I found most fascination, the evolution of the sabre target area. After reviewing various sources from the 19th century and early 20th, the main thrust of his argument is that the leg was banned because it's unsportsmanlike. He even points out how some Italian schools viewed blows to the wrist and elbow as being invalid as well, though that was because protection of said joints were allowed in duels. Really, the most interesting part was learning that the front leg reminded valid target, as far as the FIE was concerned, up until WWI.

If you'd like to read Amberger's book, you should be able to find it online. I found a pdf copy of it hosted on his website. I just didn't link it, because I didn't know how legal it was.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Siivola posted:

The earliest sources on the longsword (Fiore and early Liechtenauer glosses) all do include fighting in armour (and mounted), but it's always a separate section. Once we get to the 16th century, armoured combat starts disappearing from the books for some reason. I'm not even going to guess why, I have no idea. It's not like armour goes out of fashion yet, the coolest suits get made in the 1500's. Some 15th century manuscripts get reproduced wholesale in the 16th, but new, original material seems to focus on the sword in plain clothes. It probably mirrors the fencing habits of the people buying the books, but the scholarship into that is kinda spotty.

By the 1500s crossbows and early guns have pretty much made full suits show pieces, which is why they get so fancy: they're really just for prestige at that point.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

dupersaurus posted:

By the 1500s crossbows and early guns have pretty much made full suits show pieces, which is why they get so fancy: they're really just for prestige at that point.
lol no

those things are pistol proof. and musket proof at high ranges

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

And besides, the 1500's are basically the golden age of the tourney. It's odd that "How to Dunk on Your Neighbours in the Lists in 10 Easy Steps" wasn't a topic covered in these manuals.

I bet there's a rich genre of tournament books that just don't get mentioned in any HEMA discussions because ew combat sports. :v:

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

BirdOfPlay posted:

The ~1 pound blade matches better with the lighter officer's sabre and other cut-and-thrust swords (I may not be using that term right) than the heavy cavalry sabre (which are, what, 3-5 pounds? I know they were basically long axes).
There are of course various kinds of heavy cavalry swords, but the famous British 1796 Heavy Cavalry Sword (as carried by Sean Bean) weighed only about 2.5 pounds. Long and point-heavy and awkward, but not D&D-heavy.

Also I really want those broadsword posters.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Siivola posted:

On an unrelated note, here's a neat video for all you sabreists:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydQ19fbXzFU
(Will probably make more sense if you also read this article.)

Yeah, I remember reading about Morehouse's rule. It may have even been through the Sydney Sabre article you posted. Obviously, it eliminates attacks in preparation off the line. If it was allowed, regardless of how tight the window was, refs would still be stuck in the position they're in now. The priority fencer also now just begins their march at "Fence", because there's no reason for a short attack when your opponent doesn't want to be hit by you. So, in that sense, it knida works in making sabre being more of the marching, long exchanges that, honestly, all sabreurs love. But I don't know if I'd throw out all of the middle just for more of that.

It's also a funny thing. As much as they decry the "Russian Box of Death", I think it's more in keeping with what sabre is over this "service rule". I've also heard others reporting positively on the decrease of distance, saying the change does improve actions off the line, both in seeing the actions decisively and in having the fencers (you know, the important part of this equation) know what's going on. Personally, I'm going to wait until after Detroit (and maybe even Milwaukee with the Juniors and Cadets) to see where I fully fall on this. I might even be able to ref sabre again! :sun:

dupersaurus posted:

(But as annoying as this discussion has been at times, it's still been a million times better than anything on fencing.net)

We will never be as bad as F.net. :colbert:

Siivola posted:

Also I really want those broadsword posters.

EDIT:
Then let me Google you some color prints.

BirdOfPlay fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Aug 27, 2016

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Siivola posted:

And besides, the 1500's are basically the golden age of the tourney. It's odd that "How to Dunk on Your Neighbours in the Lists in 10 Easy Steps" wasn't a topic covered in these manuals.
"wear one a them weird looking helmets, lean back right before contact, close your eyes"? :v:

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

I've been hearing that the RBoD is great for Y12, at least

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

BirdOfPlay posted:

Yeah, I remember reading about Morehouse's rule. It may have even been through the Sydney Sabre article you posted. Obviously, it eliminates attacks in preparation off the line. If it was allowed, regardless of how tight the window was, refs would still be stuck in the position they're in now. The priority fencer also now just begins their march at "Fence", because there's no reason for a short attack when your opponent doesn't want to be hit by you. So, in that sense, it knida works in making sabre being more of the marching, long exchanges that, honestly, all sabreurs love. But I don't know if I'd throw out all of the middle just for more of that.
I just recently started looking at sabre, and as a complete layperson, I don't think I would mind sabre being all marching all the time. It's actually pretty easy to follow once it clicks. But the middle? Nah. :shobon:

BirdOfPlay posted:

EDIT:
Then let me Google you some color prints.
I wish someone would make cheapo reprints of these, instead of "hand-made oil paintings" that cost hundreds. I know they've been reprinted in a book, but it's not the same thing.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Siivola posted:

I've actually been wondering if maybe dueling might be more enjoyable if we did establish a context? I mean, it's not unheard of in tactics and strategy games.

I wonder how planting a pole on one side and making it so one player's goal is to kill the opponent or hit the pole, and the other's is to kill their opponent and protect the pole, would change things? (Bodyguard scenario) Or have a timer attached to a round with a specific attacker and defender (with the roles swapping off each round) and the defender wins the round if they time out (which means one of the players absolutely has to be the one to push the attack, they can't just both sit back).

I mean, we never did anything like that in the group I trained with, but when I go back to things after the baby is a bit older maybe I'll suggest it. I got the feeling most of the crew would be interested in trying it, anyway, just out of curiosity.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

For tournament practice, we often play scenarios, with 1 side being a point down (matches are best of 3).
We then also often add an anaerobic sequence before hand for the 'defender', so that they have to not only defend, but also have to try to regain control of themselves.
It's a good way of simulating match pressure.
Another 1 is playing 'piggy-in-the-middle' (to 1 point), but with no blocking allowed, unless it's combined with a counter attack. If you block and don't immediately counter attack, you lose.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

GlyphGryph posted:

I've actually been wondering if maybe dueling might be more enjoyable if we did establish a context? I mean, it's not unheard of in tactics and strategy games.

I wonder how planting a pole on one side and making it so one player's goal is to kill the opponent or hit the pole, and the other's is to kill their opponent and protect the pole, would change things? (Bodyguard scenario) Or have a timer attached to a round with a specific attacker and defender (with the roles swapping off each round) and the defender wins the round if they time out (which means one of the players absolutely has to be the one to push the attack, they can't just both sit back).

I mean, we never did anything like that in the group I trained with, but when I go back to things after the baby is a bit older maybe I'll suggest it. I got the feeling most of the crew would be interested in trying it, anyway, just out of curiosity.

"you are, by modern standards, pathologically thin-skinned. go."

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

My club just got a new scoring box, the longer lockout time in sabre is confirmed pretty good for ripostes. Channelling my inner Korean and stop-cutting to the wrist is a lot harder for me now, but I get the feeling that's more because I am not good at sabre. :)

One of the guys suggested a "le mans" start to sabre, where your weapon starts on the floor behind the opposite end of the piste. Not sure how I'd make this work with spool wires, but it sounds like it could be heaps of fun for 1-hit team matches.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Regarding the earlier discussion of the evolution of sport fencing, what's the reasoning behind the target area in foil? Seems like the head would be a very legit thing to stab.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

IM_DA_DECIDER posted:

Regarding the earlier discussion of the evolution of sport fencing, what's the reasoning behind the target area in foil? Seems like the head would be a very legit thing to stab.
people started foil fencing for sport/fun before modern masks were a common thing, it's for safety

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

HEY GAL posted:

people started foil fencing for sport/fun before modern masks were a common thing, it's for safety

That's what I'd think as well, yet epee/sabre are perfectly fine with it.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

IM_DA_DECIDER posted:

epee as a sport (rather than as practice for 19th century fencing) developed later

i think

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

If you want to talk about killing reasons, what I've been told is that the skull is generally too hard for the dueling foil (a fairly light blade) to reliably puncture, and the parts of the head that are vulnerable are hard to hit. Easier to hit the torso, and easier to get a crippling shot on it.

EricD
Sep 1, 2016
HEMAist here. I've been practicing Liechtenauer longsword and MS I.33 sword and buckler for nearly six years now.

My take on the whole thing about sport in HEMA is that... Well for me anyways and many people from my HEMA club, we joined HEMA because we want to approaching fencing (or sword fighting or whatever you want to call it) as a martial art rather than purely as a sport. We want to learn skills that, theoretically, would make us better in an actual sword-fight, rather than skills that help us win tournaments in a game of sword-tag. Now modern fencers (Sport fencers, Olympic-style fencers) are incredibly skilled and athletic and I think HEMA has a ton to learn from modern fencing in terms of how they train and how they coach, but modern fencing is so far removed from the realities of combat with a sharp blade that at he base of it it isn't teaching the skills that I would like to learn. Has anyone here read Epee 2.0 by Johan Harmenberg? Its a fantastic book, I'd recommend it to any HEMAist or sport fencer. It discusses how Harmenberg and his coach self-consciously threw out the traditions and techniques of classical fencing which did date back to combat with a sharp sword in favour of a technique optimized entirely for the high speed game of sword-tag which modern Olympic fencing is. Harmenberg and his coaches were brilliant at what they did, it took them to a World Championship and an Olympic gold medal and completely redefined how competitive fencing worked in the modern age. However it's not what I'm interested in doing.

Now it must also be admitted that I and other HEMAists are essentially also playing a game of sword-tag with plenty of artificialities in our tournaments and competitions as well. Quite frankly, there is no way to simulate or replicate the context of a life-or-death duel with sharp blades. Blunt swords handle differently, adrenaline makes you react differently, wounds or fear may affect you in a duel but not in a tournament. That's just the way it is. Personally I think the goal of HEMA competitions and training should be to create rules and conditions which will train skills that would be applicable in a duel. Hence the importance of test cutting, hence why we fence in a square or circular arena rather than on a strip, hence the importance of controlling your opponent's blade in most of our scoring systems. This still will not simulate a duel, but by using many different training methods we can gain hopefully a better level of skill with the sword in a martial sense.

That said, none of us are ever going to fight a duel with longswords, or rapiers, or any kind of weapon. We do these things because they are fun or enjoyable to us. If modern sport fencing is your jam, go hard! I prefer learning about the longsword. Neither of us are really practicing realistic or practical swordsmanship, we're both just doing what is fun and interesting to us. To each their own.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Test cutting is as artificial as matches. People will learn to develop skills specifically for that purpose, using body mechanics that would not be applicable in match/duel/whatever.

EricD
Sep 1, 2016

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Test cutting is as artificial as matches. People will learn to develop skills specifically for that purpose, using body mechanics that would not be applicable in match/duel/whatever.

Every form of training is to a degree artificial. That does not mean they are not useful. It takes thought and self-discipline though. I mean yeah if you're winding up a big blow and you hop-skip into it and swing your sword like a baseball bat to make the cut, you might make the cut but you aren't teaching yourself good habits by cutting in that fashion. A good instructor should provide correction. If you are cutting from a guard into another guard, cutting in a way that would keep your sword between your body and your opponent's sword, keeping your movements tight and controlled, and maintaining proper balance and posture throughout your movements, while still delivering an effective cut, then you are test cutting in a way which is training better habits for an actual sword-fight. Cutting is a skill which must be practiced. How exactly do you propose we develop said skill if not by test cutting?

I mean medieval peoples themselves used artificial competitions and games to prepare for war. All their martial games, the hastiludes and tournaments and melees, they were all intended to train and prepare young men-at-arms for real battle. Late sources talk about "school fencing" as opposed to "fencing in earnest". Clearly they saw some value in artificial competitions and other forms of practice.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

IM_DA_DECIDER posted:

Foil dates way back to the 18th century, if not earlier, and back then masks were considered too effeminate for real manly men to wear. By the 19th century they'd finally ditched that notion and had the gear to do epee with "anything goes" scoring areas. Sabre is an interesting case because its roots are, at least in part, in 17th or 18th century singlestick play where the goal was to whack your opponent on the head hard enough to draw blood. People didn't make the switch over to metal practice sabres until sometime in the 19th century.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Double-posting because I just ran into this thing that I can't not share:

quote:

This is Jacopo Monesi throwing shade on Fabris in 1640 - while he doesn't name names it's clear to me who he's talking about :

"Chapter Nine – On the so misshapen published figures of this exercise

If I believed myself alone, I would not dare to criticise the infinite sets of figures presented and drawn in published books. These are invented, I believe, to no other end but to demonstrate a multiplicity of distorted postures, which almost transcend the bounds of nature, and drag people towards the ridiculous, rather than to learning from viewing such contorted actions.

I would like to have some leeway, to leave some praise, but I see no way whatsoever, if not to say that these deformations are very suitable for clowns and tavern-singers, to entertain and extract money from a crowd. This is the praise I am able to concede.

If then I were to offer some polite criticism, I could begin by saying that these positions are monstrous, and impossible to witness within our profession. When have you ever seen people, either for enjoyment or necessity, employ such extravagant contortions, with their bodies so hunched and forced, and for the sword alone with the off-hand by the left ear, to employ it like a dagger to deflect thrusts?

This is as far removed from the natural order as truth is from a lie. You do not take a sword in hand, to wield in earnest, with such exorbitant contortions. You should stand so you can operate naturally, all the more so when you find yourself on the street. There you may find many impediments, as I have said, and confirming what I have already said above, you must stand firmly on your feet, in a balanced posture from which you can draw strength to oppose the sword, for all the attacks, and as upright as possible so you do not become disordered."