Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wyntyr
Mar 27, 2006

blugu64 posted:

I'm not sure you can ever really live a "full life" in a place that has no good barbecue

:same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
I was calling once to Walmart to see if they had something in electronics. I had to call over and over because they kept hanging up on me. (I'm cranky about this kind of thing, I wasn't going to let them get rid of me.)

Finally, on time number five or whatever, someone told me that they couldn't transfer me to electronics because "my phone didn't work with their system." This might have been the dumbest lie I've ever been told, and I work with children. It's an iPhone, either your store mysteriously can't handle one of the most common phones on the planet (that YOU sell, by the way) or you're lying to get rid of me.

I filled out that online complaint form, which is oddly detailed. A week or so later, the store started calling me. I wouldn't answer, because gently caress talking to Walmart, but that's my advice for anyone who has to stand in the store for 45 minutes waiting for someone to decide they can check you out or whatever, use their complaint form because apparently they actually get in trouble.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Jack Trades posted:

Something Awful LLC

Has anyone made that joke yet?
Can't kill something that's already dead

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Bean posted:

I was calling once to Walmart to see if they had something in electronics. I had to call over and over because they kept hanging up on me. (I'm cranky about this kind of thing, I wasn't going to let them get rid of me.)

Finally, on time number five or whatever, someone told me that they couldn't transfer me to electronics because "my phone didn't work with their system." This might have been the dumbest lie I've ever been told, and I work with children. It's an iPhone, either your store mysteriously can't handle one of the most common phones on the planet (that YOU sell, by the way) or you're lying to get rid of me.

I filled out that online complaint form, which is oddly detailed. A week or so later, the store started calling me. I wouldn't answer, because gently caress talking to Walmart, but that's my advice for anyone who has to stand in the store for 45 minutes waiting for someone to decide they can check you out or whatever, use their complaint form because apparently they actually get in trouble.

yeah i'm not lodging complaints at a place where people are paid peanuts while the heirs to the chain are worth like 120 billion.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

Jumpingmanjim posted:

https://www.bloomberg.com/features/2016-walmart-crime/

Here is a good article about the problems created for local police because wal mart does not take its crime problem seriously enough.

I'm currently in Alaska, and the door greeters check people's receipts as they leave the store, like a sam's club. Which I didn't even think was actually enforceable at a normal store.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

TLG James posted:

I'm currently in Alaska, and the door greeters check people's receipts as they leave the store, like a sam's club. Which I didn't even think was actually enforceable at a normal store.

It's not; they tried that in Austin a while ago (at least at a few of the stores) and a few weeks later they'd stopped doing it because nobody actually bothered to stop. Every time I went in for cat food or whatever I saw at least ten people including me breeze past them with a "no thanks", and it's not like they're going to stop you.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Later today, I'll go shopping for groceries at Walmart. Even after driving 40 miles round trip, we'll save $35-40 on average compared to shopping locally and buying all the same brands we normally would. Their produce is nice, not the bruised, wilted crap local supermarkets have. Between the low prices, coupons and their Savings Catcher app there's no reason to shop for anywhere else for groceries. Especially some dirty, white-trash food-stamp-free-for-all Aldi (which is also 20 miles away) that makes Walmart look upscale even though it seems to be a popular place for goons to buy chickencheese supplies.

However, as some have pointed out, their electronics can be sketchy with certain features missing or downgraded and the model numbers don't match up with what other retailers sell.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
"Companies that are circling the drain"

Pages of discussion about the most successful retailer in human history

You know who else is going bust any day now? Apple! ExxonMobil!

PallasAthene
Dec 6, 2010

Why, vixen, have you again set the gods by the ears in the pride and haughtiness of your heart?

Dirk Squarejaw posted:

Later today, I'll go shopping for groceries at Walmart. Even after driving 40 miles round trip, we'll save $35-40 on average compared to shopping locally and buying all the same brands we normally would.

Their fishing section usually kicks rear end as long as you're right handed and last year I bought a Mini-14 there for $150 less than anywhere else in town.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Jastiger posted:

Nah they legit bought the bottom of the line electronics but made sure the name brand was on it. For examplr samsung would have a 46 inch hd tv with all the trimmings and specs listed. Best Buy,
HH. gregg, nebraska furniture mart etc. Would have it at say $600. Wal nart would have a samsung 44 inch, not found nearly anywhere else, that showcased some lf thr same stats but none of the features and asked $499.

I mean it's a different tv and if you dont care about the extras fine whatever, but they legit were different products and Walmart doesnt stock the good stuff. I suspect this goes beyond just tvs too.

hmm yes but if you actually bother reading the thread you will notice that this was not what that dude was claiming, at all, he actually said that the model numbers would be identical for different qualities of product

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Ryoshi posted:

hmm yes but if you actually bother reading the thread you will notice that this was not what that dude was claiming, at all, he actually said that the model numbers would be identical for different qualities of product

Well if you look at it, it CAN be hard to spot.

Best buy: Ln46650A1

Walmart Ln4650g3

A quick glance it does look similar and that isnt a mistake.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Ryoshi posted:

Yes, which is akin to kids arguing in 1984 that Kenner Star Wars figures bought at K-B Toys, Toys R Us, or Children's Palace were better than the same ones bought at K-Mart, Target or Hills (yes, this happened frequently in grade school).

Jastiger posted:

Well if you look at it, it CAN be hard to spot.

Best buy: Ln46650A1

Walmart Ln4650g3

A quick glance it does look similar and that isnt a mistake.

I bought a Sony Blu-ray player for our bedroom with all the streaming channels, etc. It also has a similar number to the model everyone else sells. I really don't know what is different but it plays Netflix, Hulu, Prime and finds my Plex server so I don't really care.

Kirk Vikernes has a new favorite as of 16:19 on Aug 27, 2016

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Something Awful

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003
Same product number with different quality TV is a thing with every retailer. Manufacturers will sometimes use 2-3 different panels in low end TV's and there is no way to tell what panel you are going to get until you get it out of the box and look up some manufacturing numbers listed on the back.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

canyoneer posted:

"Companies that are circling the drain"

Pages of discussion about the most successful retailer in human history

You know who else is going bust any day now? Apple! ExxonMobil!

we can dream.

PallasAthene
Dec 6, 2010

Why, vixen, have you again set the gods by the ears in the pride and haughtiness of your heart?

NihilismNow posted:

Same product number with different quality TV is a thing with every retailer. Manufacturers will sometimes use 2-3 different panels in low end TV's and there is no way to tell what panel you are going to get until you get it out of the box and look up some manufacturing numbers listed on the back.

Isn't this partly to keep all of Wal-Mart's competitors happy, too? My brother used to work at a Cabela's and people would ask them to price-match guns from Wal-Mart all the time. What the gun companies started doing was selling the same basic rifle, say a Remington 700 ADL with a plastic stock, to Wal-Mart, Bass Pro, Dick's, and Cabela's. Each company would sell a gun with a different UPC, but the only difference was what camo pattern the stock came in (one would be in Mossy Oak Break Up, one in Realtree HD, one in Army ACU, one would be Mossy Oak Brush, etc) so that that when someone brought in a Wal-Mart ad to price match, they could say "Sorry, that's a different model, ours is Army camo and that's Mossy Oak."

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

PallasAthene posted:

Isn't this partly to keep all of Wal-Mart's competitors happy, too? My brother used to work at a Cabela's and people would ask them to price-match guns from Wal-Mart all the time. What the gun companies started doing was selling the same basic rifle, say a Remington 700 ADL with a plastic stock, to Wal-Mart, Bass Pro, Dick's, and Cabela's. Each company would sell a gun with a different UPC, but the only difference was what camo pattern the stock came in (one would be in Mossy Oak Break Up, one in Realtree HD, one in Army ACU, one would be Mossy Oak Brush, etc) so that that when someone brought in a Wal-Mart ad to price match, they could say "Sorry, that's a different model, ours is Army camo and that's Mossy Oak."

That is a standard thing, happened with stereo equipment from big box shops, and still happens with mattresses. I'm sure there are more.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

PallasAthene posted:

Absolutely, the difference is with electronics you genuinely did get an inferior versiom at wal mart va a best buy.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Dirk Squarejaw posted:

I really don't know what is different...I don't really care.

This is the why the product variants for a given retailer exist. They know their consumers, and they know that reduced feature sets represent an opportunity to increase margin. There are people who don't care if the TV is edge lit or true 120hz; their basis for comparison is whether it's more appealing than the old/broken thing at home, period. This is no more unethical than offering a truck with a manual trans and hand cranked windows.

If you skim through the slickdeals site/app, there are people who argue over this minutiae and will actually return a TV to retailer X because it was offered at retailer Y a week later for $30 less with the Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Y686 comb filter.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Walmart drank my milkshake :argh:

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

blugu64 posted:

Walmart drank my milkshake :argh:

did you buy it there, though?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Dirk Squarejaw posted:

Later today, I'll go shopping for groceries at Walmart. Even after driving 40 miles round trip, we'll save $35-40 on average compared to shopping locally and buying all the same brands we normally would. Their produce is nice, not the bruised, wilted crap local supermarkets have. Between the low prices, coupons and their Savings Catcher app there's no reason to shop for anywhere else for groceries.

man the WalMart produce around where I am has just got to be the bottom of the barrel stuff bc it looks so sad compared to other stores

prolly a store to store thing I guess

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Moridin920 posted:

man the WalMart produce around where I am has just got to be the bottom of the barrel stuff bc it looks so sad compared to other stores

The nearest Walmart to where I work (There aren't any that close to where I live) has a mediocre produce section, beyond potatoes and tomatoes it basically just carries lemons/limes/seasonal specials. It's all fresh and well tended to, at least. The next closest one, about eight minutes further, has a real nice produce section, that's where I like to shop for produce due to convenience and quality. It beats out all the other chains here for price and quality all day long.

BUT, if I'm out that way or willing to make the 40 minute drive, the Greensburg Walmart produce section puts Whole Foods to loving shame. It's like one half of the whole front of the store is dedicated to produce of all colors and origins, all well stocked and sorted and fresh, and at the same amazing prices Walmart keeps things at. Local produce, imported less common stuff, you name it, they probably have it.

It really does depend on the location.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Moridin920 posted:

some of my years in retail were in produce so i can answer this question with some accuracy (and Wal Mart does have probably the worst produce section):

There are so many people on a daily basis which means you are fighting a never ending war to cull the bad and keep the good stocked (everybody stacks up the bad and takes the good.) As a direct result you need more and more employee time devoted to upkeep in the department, which Wal Mart has historically been slashing workforce and running with skeleton crews.

Also if you are a 24 hour store most things like Deli and Produce don't actually have staffing outside peak hours. So from say 6pm-7pm until 6AM-8AM (half the day) the produce section can be picked over and destroyed with zero upkeep, meaning the morning cull and upkeep becomes even harder for the already overworked employees. Instead of opening the department and stocking the common items like Bananas / Tomatoes you have a post apocalytpic wasteland to try and rebuild every morning with maybe 1-2 employees and dozens of items needing stocked, so things like complete inspection of produce falls to the wayside.

I worked at two lower traffic stores in produce as well. I had plenty of time for a full cull every morning, inspecting every piece of fruit and vegetable, targeting swarming gnats, sniffing out anything off, even checking the skin of apples. Our produce section looked ready for a magazine spread every day because nobody was really buying anything and the amount of time to counteract that was much much less than the time we were investing in the department. When we had odd spikes in activity our produce department looked absolutely obliterated too, but instead of that being 100% of the time like a Wal Mart it was like 2% of the time.

PCOS Bill posted:

The nearest Walmart to where I work (There aren't any that close to where I live) has a mediocre produce section, beyond potatoes and tomatoes it basically just carries lemons/limes/seasonal specials. It's all fresh and well tended to, at least. The next closest one, about eight minutes further, has a real nice produce section, that's where I like to shop for produce due to convenience and quality. It beats out all the other chains here for price and quality all day long.

BUT, if I'm out that way or willing to make the 40 minute drive, the Greensburg Walmart produce section puts Whole Foods to loving shame. It's like one half of the whole front of the store is dedicated to produce of all colors and origins, all well stocked and sorted and fresh, and at the same amazing prices Walmart keeps things at. Local produce, imported less common stuff, you name it, they probably have it.

It really does depend on the location.

You are right that's down to location. The Produce manager is in charge of deciding what to order. I was at a Wal Mart where they would order asian pear and more exotic things that always rotted (the deep south loves their potatoes and tomatoes and onions) and when shrink became a serious issue from the district we cut out alot of the superfluous poo poo. We even got rid of seeded grapes for awhile because nobody bought them and everyone wanted seedless. Apples? gently caress you Honey Crisp nobody ain't never heard of none of that!

So yeah available workforce / particular management / condition of workforce (Attitude/mentality) will vary from location to location but in general, Wal Mart will tend to have horrific produce sections for things like high traffic and low amounts of available workers and that store you mention is the exception rather than the rule.

Fat Shat Sings has a new favorite as of 20:06 on Aug 27, 2016

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
So this thread convinced me to check out the Kmart I used to visit as a child. There were people other than me and the employees there, which immediately puts it above Office Depot. Actually, there were quite a few of them there, not enough to fill the lot or anything but definitely more than I expected. The lighting hasn't changed since I was a child, think eighties era overhead lights, quite nostalgic. What wasn't nostalgic was the smell that permeated the store. It was half damp and half cleaning supplies. I remember the garden section used to be great, back when its only competition was Home Depot. Now its so tiny it barely exists and other than like three cacti there weren't even any actual plants in it. The electronics section was even worse. They had TVs but none were turned on, no games or computers and the DVD section looked more like what you'd find at a Goodwill or bookstore than what you'd find at a Walmart or Best Buy. Back in the day there was a pizza store in there by the checkout but there was not now. I only noticed one area of cleared out, open, shelves so I guess they improved that over the past few years. Also, they sell groceries now, which is a big change from when I was a kid.

I didn't buy anything, so I guess you failed anyway Kmart.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Cliff Racer posted:

So this thread convinced me to check out the Kmart I used to visit as a child. There were people other than me and the employees there, which immediately puts it above Office Depot. Actually, there were quite a few of them there, not enough to fill the lot or anything but definitely more than I expected. The lighting hasn't changed since I was a child, think eighties era overhead lights, quite nostalgic. What wasn't nostalgic was the smell that permeated the store. It was half damp and half cleaning supplies. I remember the garden section used to be great, back when its only competition was Home Depot. Now its so tiny it barely exists and other than like three cacti there weren't even any actual plants in it. The electronics section was even worse. They had TVs but none were turned on, no games or computers and the DVD section looked more like what you'd find at a Goodwill or bookstore than what you'd find at a Walmart or Best Buy. Back in the day there was a pizza store in there by the checkout but there was not now. I only noticed one area of cleared out, open, shelves so I guess they improved that over the past few years. Also, they sell groceries now, which is a big change from when I was a kid.

I didn't buy anything, so I guess you failed anyway Kmart.

I saw a picture on Reddit a few weeks ago where someone visited their local K-Mart and there was still a huge SEGA sign up in the video game section, right next to Nintendo and Sony.

PallasAthene posted:

Hell mattress stores do this PER STORE. Walk into one Sleepy's and they have a different mattress model number than another Sleepy's! Just so you can't shop around.

Was quoted $1100 for a mattress; found one on Amazon for $200 that was incredible. So maybe mattress stores will be next on the chopping block.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Are the sizes of cough drops shrinking in general or is it just at Wal-Mart? I've bought halls few months back at rite aid and they were normal sized, but the Wal-Mart halls are less than half the size

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
you've been had

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

RandomPauI posted:

Are the sizes of cough drops shrinking in general or is it just at Wal-Mart? I've bought halls few months back at rite aid and they were normal sized, but the Wal-Mart halls are less than half the size

You're slowly turning into Donald Trump.

edit: Ahh poo poo, that would make the cough drops bigger.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
To put it in clearer context, regular cough drops are so wide they're a potential choking hazard, these are more like the size of a calcium supplement.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

I think that what helps with my local Walmarts is that one is in a college town and busy as hell so produce never sits long. The other one is in an area that is more upscale and has to compete with fancier supermarkets in the area.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

Citizen Tayne posted:

The same exact model TV at walmart and at Best Buy have nothing in common, because Walmart forces their suppliers to start separate production lines and so on to meet their prices. Rubber Dick Model X1 at Best Buy is a completely different product than Rubber Dick Model X1 at Walmart.

Walmart knows this and exploits that, by yelling "YOU CAN GET IT HERE FOR LESS"

Except you aren't getting it for less, you're getting a shittier product for more than it's worth.

This is 100% not true.

Do you even know how a loving supply chain works, or not?

If you really think that these places are doing exactly what you said, you are loving high on something that needs to be spread around.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

InterceptorV8 posted:

This is 100% not true.

If you really think that these places are doing exactly what you said, you are loving high on something that needs to be spread around.

Please, what would a truck driver know about supply chains? Like you've ever pulled a truck up to a factory and your load isn't quite ready so you've gotten a chance to take a peek inside at the line or some nonsense like that!

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

PCOS Bill posted:

Please, what would a truck driver know about supply chains? Like you've ever pulled a truck up to a factory and your load isn't quite ready so you've gotten a chance to take a peek inside at the line or some nonsense like that!

NEVER.

I remember one time wandering around a food processing plant that serviced the whole USA with a single product (which is quite rare, most areas have more local plants) and could have poisoned the whole supply of these products.... now that I think about it, I did that at two places, and a spice plant. But I have never ever gone to a WALMART ONLY plant, but I have hauled things out of plants to Walmart, Costco, Kmart/Sears, etc etc. Best one was that one hippie store using the same product as walmart just in their own packaging, I think the place was called Whole Paycheck or something like that....

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Ryoshi posted:

this is because visio tvs were steaming diarrhea garbage for years and years and not because Wal Mart Owns Sony And The Whole World you loving moron, hope this explains something for you

lol how long have you worked at Walmart

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
There was a story in '06 about Snapper lawnmowers stopping sales to Walmart because they couldn't do so without compromising quality:

http://www.fastcompany.com/54763/man-who-said-no-wal-mart

...and years later, new management started selling rebadged lawnmowers from another, shittier company (MTD?) as Snappers at Walmart

So in this case, Snapper has different production lines, because it is literally different companies making their products.

edit: the article also mentions this anecdote:

quote:

The Wal-Mart vice president responded with strategy and argument. Snapper is the sort of high-quality nameplate, like Levi Strauss, that Wal-Mart hopes can ultimately make it more Target-like. He suggested that Snapper find a lower-cost contract manufacturer. He suggested producing a separate, lesser-quality line with the Snapper nameplate just for Wal-Mart. Just like Levi did.

Apr 7, 2003

InterceptorV8 posted:

This is 100% not true.

A trucker lecturing people on how a supply chain works is like a phlebotomist lecturing someone on how DNA works.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
This is hyper-local, but your alls conspiracy theories about how Walmart electronics look the same as other people's but are actually terrible garbage inside remind me of a thing or two I've heard about Wawa gasoline being somehow "watered-down" because Wawa has the cheapest prices.

You're loving crazy, is what I'm saying, and Walmart is good and buying things from Walmart is good. You're just taking a business you don't like for your own irrational reasons and coming up with imaginary rational-sounding reasons so you don't have to say "this is how I feel". Stand behind your convictions!

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
It's okay to hate a business, there are a lot of businesses, you can do business with a lot of different ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003

cheerfullydrab posted:

This is hyper-local, but your alls conspiracy theories about how Walmart electronics look the same as other people's but are actually terrible garbage inside remind me of a thing or two I've heard about Wawa gasoline being somehow "watered-down" because Wawa has the cheapest prices.

You're loving crazy, is what I'm saying, and Walmart is good and buying things from Walmart is good. You're just taking a business you don't like for your own irrational reasons and coming up with imaginary rational-sounding reasons so you don't have to say "this is how I feel". Stand behind your convictions!

Walmart is actually bad and you are retarded.