Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
Hitting the Bandcamp new releases pile hard, and amused how much I'm seeing the "neofolk" tag on records that are not from this sphere in any manner whatsoever. They seem to think it means "folky but, uh, hipper". I wonder when anyone will tell them. Or if they'll give a poo poo. c.f. this (actually a metal singer going country) or this (which manages to have the tags "neofolk" and "trip hop" on the same record). Perhaps we could just tag everything "witch house".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

divabot posted:

Hitting the Bandcamp new releases pile hard, and amused how much I'm seeing the "neofolk" tag on records that are not from this sphere in any manner whatsoever. They seem to think it means "folky but, uh, hipper". I wonder when anyone will tell them. Or if they'll give a poo poo. c.f. this (actually a metal singer going country) or this (which manages to have the tags "neofolk" and "trip hop" on the same record). Perhaps we could just tag everything "witch house".

that second one actually sounds halfway decent so i agree it probably doesn't deserve to be smeared as "neofolk" right off the bat, but maybe if you read the lyrics it turns out they're nazis

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Earwicker posted:

that second one actually sounds halfway decent so i agree it probably doesn't deserve to be smeared as "neofolk" right off the bat, but maybe if you read the lyrics it turns out they're totally not nazis

ftfy

we shall see

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

yeah some people just assume it means modern folk, I remember seeing someone going into hysterics at some point because they called their work neofolk independently of actual neofolk, and then someone told them about all the nazis.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i'm surprised there's not a filk thread here

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Earwicker posted:

i'm surprised there's not a filk thread here

that's Death In Rome :rimshot:

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004

divabot posted:

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Holland 1940

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
i already knew he loved hitler

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
for example the whites-only "conservation community" called orange twin

the only thing they're conserving there is the white race

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
Lengthy Dangerous Minds interview with David Tibet and Youth over their new album

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.

A human heart posted:

yeah some people just assume it means modern folk, I remember seeing someone going into hysterics at some point because they called their work neofolk independently of actual neofolk, and then someone told them about all the nazis.

I blame King Dude. I think you can blame King Dude for most things in this world though.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

I've never listened to King Dude just because the name is really bad and offputting.

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!
There's a new Rome album out and it's great: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kHooQCMIS8.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

deadking posted:

There's a new Rome album out and it's great: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kHooQCMIS8.

the only comment:

quote:

Germany is in a special state as far as the true state of Deutschland.
This album has a dismal sound to me.
I feel a connection between my opinions.

ixnay on the otallynay-otnay-azisnay

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

It only seems like Jerome is a dirty leftist, a true believer in the Lion of Europa knows better.

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004

deadking posted:

Kind of a step backward from his work with Sublime

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
So I went to write this evening's Rocknerd post and called a lot of people Nazis. I'm sure this will make me even more friends. I did tell everyone to buy Death In Rome's album, though.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

I think if you write an article that contains the phrase "Throbbing Gristle’s career of blatant edgelordery," you should maybe not be writing about anything

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

Bah gawd ain't no way Boyd's gonna recover from that

fantasy zone
Jul 24, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

divabot posted:

So I went to write this evening's Rocknerd post and called a lot of people Nazis. I'm sure this will make me even more friends. I did tell everyone to buy Death In Rome's album, though.

congratulations on the really bad article where you said nothing of importance and called throbbing gristle edgelords.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

The man who penned the article "Celebrate the day with a goth pool party" turns his pitiless gaze upon the neofolk scene, and you'll never believe what happens next

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

A human heart posted:

The man who penned the article "Celebrate the day with a goth pool party" turns his pitiless gaze upon the neofolk scene, and you'll never believe what happens next

was.. was it a neofolk pool party?

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!

Earwicker posted:

a neofolk pool party?

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004

divabot posted:

You suck dude.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
It's the most vexed issue about this stuff and there's no point in pretending it isn't. This Karl Blake post is rather pissed off and strident on the topic, but you can't say he doesn't know what he's talking about.

Just been playing the new Disjecta Membra. They used to play with this lot a lot more, but have lately taken a pile of political positions stridently opposed, which is good.

I wouldn't bother if I didn't like the stuff.

Also, that Death In Rome shakycam has excellent sound and is worth playing at people and waiting for them to work out what it is.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

divabot posted:

It's the most vexed issue about this stuff and there's no point in pretending it isn't.

No one's pretending it isn't? I think everyone here is well aware of the issue, but all your article did was basically regurgitate the issue in Though Catalog-esque language while not making any sort of point other than you like Death in Rome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

divabot posted:

It's the most vexed issue about this stuff and there's no point in pretending it isn't. This Karl Blake post is rather pissed off and strident on the topic, but you can't say he doesn't know what he's talking about.

Just been playing the new Disjecta Membra. They used to play with this lot a lot more, but have lately taken a pile of political positions stridently opposed, which is good.

I wouldn't bother if I didn't like the stuff.

Also, that Death In Rome shakycam has excellent sound and is worth playing at people and waiting for them to work out what it is.

There's been a lot of articles on the topic, yours is poorly written poo poo that says nothing they didn't already.

• Locked thread