Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Vagabundo posted:

Honestly, it's a mixture of amusement at a guy who's made a career of being a gently caress-up in 9 games out of 10 getting selected on the back of that 1 game and the coaches that get dazzled by that bullshit, and the fact that despite all his bravado, he clearly gets rattled by a crowd.

I'm sorry you clearly feel like you have to defend that he gets chance after chance after chance, but surely, there's someone better that can be picked in the short term.

Name one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tag youre fat
Aug 16, 2013

C'est l'homme ideal
charme au masculin
brock james

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Doesn't qualify under the Giteau rule, needs 60 Wallabies caps. Seriously speaking, the only options are Jake McIntyre (Reds) and Jack Debreczini (Rebels). The Force play a Saffer at 10 and the Brumbies played Toomua (injured) and Lealiafano (just got diagnosed with leukaemia) there. I'm not a Quade fan myself, but I suspect the Kiwi obsession with him is less because he over promises and never delivers and more because he injured their national psyche by kneeing McCaw in the head quite a few years ago.

tag youre fat
Aug 16, 2013

C'est l'homme ideal
charme au masculin
gently caress the rules, get brock james back

I do agree with you on how precious a lot of nz fans get whenever Quade Cooper is mentioned.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

I never liked the way he was treated.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:

HappyCamperGL posted:

He and Fagerson attempted to tackle the same player at the same time from opposite sides and they smashed heads.

Bonus picture Russell posted from hospital afterwards https://www.instagram.com/p/BGCYAaehU6V/

Yeah, looked like a very serious concussion and maybe a broken eye socket which is why he's been out so long and why they're taking so much care with him. Hats off to the Connacht club and staff that looked after him though, from all accounts they did an amazing job.

e: Sasa Tolfilau gets his first start for Edinburgh on Friday in a preseason game against Newcastle (looks to be giving the starting XV a run out before next week). He used to play for the same club I did so good to see him get noticed and picked up by on of the bigger teams.

Vaders Jester fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Aug 25, 2016

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

Jack Debreczeni, for one. Far more consistent than Cooper.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Vagabundo posted:

Jack Debreczeni, for one. Far more consistent than Cooper.

He was pretty good the year before last but if he's been consistent this year it's been consistently bad. There's a reason he was replaced at 10 by Aussie Mike Harris. We're not like NZ who have 2 10s in each team that wouldn't look out of place playing a test. I think the ARU need to assert more control over our teams and not allow them to play non eligible player at 9, 10 and locks. But that's not how it works here...

Deepfried
Sep 20, 2001

Vagabundo posted:

Because he's a joke.

He can be devastating, however the AB's seem to bring out the worst in him.

He chokes under the on field pressure and the crowd definitely gets to him.

I think everyone has forgotten the whole GOAT knee, our crowds boo him because it puts him off his game and is halerious watching him crumble. (for the record as a kiwi I hate the booing, but whatever)

Deepfried fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Aug 26, 2016

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Quade Cooper is the definition of confidence player.
When he's in form, he is dazzling, his playmaking is on par with the best Australia has ever seen.
When he's not, he looks rattled, his kicking is poo poo and his passing is super unreliable.

I don't think he's in form.
ABs by 50.

Painkiller
Jan 30, 2005

You think the truth will set you free...
It's kinda nuts how so many key figures from that Reds side of 2011 have failed to make a lasting impact on both the Reds and Australia. Genia has been the most consistent performer but even he hasn't maintained the level he reached in his early career.

Painkiller fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Aug 26, 2016

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

I thought he was booed because he was a Kiwi that had the audacity to not want to play for the ABs.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Vaders Jester posted:

I thought he was booed because he was a Kiwi that had the audacity to not want to play for the ABs.

That's what my teammate always thought; this is the guy I've mentioned before, who is obsessed with rugby and specifically the All Blacks to the point of saying he's going to move to NZ when his son turns 5 so he can put him in NZ schools and he'll grow up to become the first American-born All Black.

OTOH I'm pretty sure it's because Cooper cheap-shotted McCaw that one time, and consistently starts poo poo and then runs away on the field, and also it's funny to watch him crumble when he's such a swaggering player off the field.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Apollodorus posted:

That's what my teammate always thought; this is the guy I've mentioned before, who is obsessed with rugby and specifically the All Blacks to the point of saying he's going to move to NZ when his son turns 5 so he can put him in NZ schools and he'll grow up to become the first American-born All Black.

OTOH I'm pretty sure it's because Cooper cheap-shotted McCaw that one time, and consistently starts poo poo and then runs away on the field, and also it's funny to watch him crumble when he's such a swaggering player off the field.

Better hope that kid like rugby or he's going to be super-sad.

Yeah, it's almost certainly the cheap shot on McCaw and the notion that it bothers Cooper, though honestly, I don't think he particularly cares about being booed by the crowd. He's mercurial whether he's in NZ or not so the boos aren't really a factor and it's more down to him being a confidence player.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Vaders Jester posted:

Better hope that kid like rugby or he's going to be super-sad.

What's super-sad is when parents vicariously live through their kids and don't bother finding out what their kids actually want out of life. That said I'm not going to let any kids I have play football, poo poo is WAAAAY too dangerous.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Apollodorus posted:

What's super-sad is when parents vicariously live through their kids and don't bother finding out what their kids actually want out of life. That said I'm not going to let any kids I have play football, poo poo is WAAAAY too dangerous.

Yup, I got lucky and like my dad and grandad really enjoyed playing rugby and can't stand soccer but it's lovely for a parent to force their kids into doing something they might hate.

I've played a little bit of american football but not much though I did enjoy it, mostly defence though.

Painkiller
Jan 30, 2005

Vaders Jester posted:

e: Sasa Tolfilau gets his first start for Edinburgh on Friday in a preseason game against Newcastle (looks to be giving the starting XV a run out before next week). He used to play for the same club I did so good to see him get noticed and picked up by on of the bigger teams.

I thought he looked pretty good tonight.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

I don't like how we boo Cooper all the time but he's brought a bit of it on himself (in the past) and fans don't forget things in a hurry.

He's a bit like Carlos Spencer in terms of skill and inconsistency (although I honestly think Spencer, for all his flaws, was one of the most exciting players ever when on form) but unfortunately there isn't much room for players like that at international level.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Apollodorus posted:

Tell your mate that Jerome Kaino is American.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Ewar Woowar posted:

I don't like how we boo Cooper all the time but he's brought a bit of it on himself (in the past) and fans don't forget things in a hurry.

I can't believe its still happening, its a bit embarrassing to be honest

Painkiller
Jan 30, 2005

Australia are in real trouble. Last week they at least did well to control the last 20 minutes and get a consolation try. Today, they didn't put a meaningful attack together in the 2nd half until the last minute of the game. I can see South Africa turning them over in Brisbane.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Painkiller posted:

Australia are in real trouble. Last week they at least did well to control the last 20 minutes and get a consolation try. Today, they didn't put a meaningful attack together in the 2nd half until the last minute of the game. I can see South Africa turning them over in Brisbane.

Yeah, at least last week we looked like a clown car, but this time we were fairly composed and still got blown away. It looked like we brought our near best game but it wasn't close to being good enough. Cheika still having us play the 2014 Waratahs style but NZ have long ago figured it out.

Kt88
Aug 15, 2003
I really hope Australia get their poo poo together soon. As a Kiwi, these thrashings feel a bit hollow given how severely outclassed the Wallabies are. I want my Bledisloe nailbiters back :(

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Kt88 posted:

I really hope Australia get their poo poo together soon. As a Kiwi, these thrashings feel a bit hollow given how severely outclassed the Wallabies are. I want my Bledisloe nailbiters back :(

Maybe the Wallabies will hit double digits in points scored in the third Bledisloe test at Eden Park in late October?

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Kt88 posted:

Not happening.
Rugby is at it's weakest in a long, long time in Australia. Which is saying something.

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!
Argentina beat SA in a very close and quite brutal game. Their third win since joining the Rugby Championship.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Australia's best Bledisloe tenure was 5 seasons (1998~2002). The All Blacks won it back in 2003, and if they successfully hold it through next season, they'd have tripled that tenure. The All Blacks' longest reign was 28 years, during which they even managed to actually misplace the thing.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Tell your mate that Jerome Kaino is American.

Apparently he's the second American-born All Black; the first was Frank Solomon in 1931. Who knew? :D

Also a fun statistic from the world of gridiron - 1 in 4 Samoan football players ends up in the NFL.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Apollodorus posted:

Apparently he's the second American-born All Black; the first was Frank Solomon in 1931. Who knew? :D

Also a fun statistic from the world of gridiron - 1 in 4 Samoan football players ends up in the NFL.

How many are related to The Rock?

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

Vagabundo posted:

Australia's best Bledisloe tenure was 5 seasons (1998~2002). The All Blacks won it back in 2003, and if they successfully hold it through next season, they'd have tripled that tenure. The All Blacks' longest reign was 28 years, during which they even managed to actually misplace the thing.

28 years? I guess the current crop of Aussie supporters have nothing to complain about really! Was that during an uninterrupted spell of playing or did WWII affect it?

Edit: ok so I stopped being lazy and had a look on Wikipedia. The 28 year reign was '51 - '78. 33 matches played in that time. The current reign is 14 years but across 37 matches with a 38th to come as the dead rubber at Eden Park. Of the 37 matches, Australia have won 5, drawn 2 and lost 30.

Apologies if my numbers are not accurate, I'm phone posting.

slothrop fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Aug 28, 2016

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

I've posted it before in this thread, but I remember as a kid wondering if Rugby was gonna be the thing. I grew up in Canberra, and in the early 2000's the Wallabies were soooooooooooooooo good.

The the AFL started to regain it's momentum after it's expansions, and Rugby League got over the whole "NewsCorp" thing. And now Rugby is probably less popular than soccer.

Schlesische fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Aug 29, 2016

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/international/83663800/nick-phipps-caught-on-camera-ripping-off-and-throwing-away-malakai-fekitoas-boot

loving lol.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

What do you expect from the country that started as a penal colony? I hope the All Blacks made sure to check their wallets on the way out of the stadium.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

LOL, look at this loving American ABs fanboi.

Let me give you some advice, mate, if you're not a Kiwi or English, it's a bit pathetic...

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

"A potential try isn't the only thing Wallabies halfback Nick Phipps threw away on Saturday night."

That's just great journalism.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/37212111

Fijians know how to say thanks. :)

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Unimpressed posted:

LOL, look at this loving American ABs fanboi.

Let me give you some advice, mate, if you're not a Kiwi or English, it's a bit pathetic...

That's what our Kiwi teammates keep telling him. He said "Look, man, you don't just get to pick the best team to be your national team, you're loving American."

When I went to the USA/AB's test in Nov 2014, I was allllllmost drunk enough to want to start fights with all the Americans wearing All Blacks jerseys to the game. I mean, what the loving gently caress guys? Why would you show up to watch your national team play and wear a jersey for the OTHER COUNTRY??? It doesn't loving matter that we all knew the Eagles were going to get thrashed, have some god drat pride for gently caress's sake, we're better than New Zealand at everything else (well, not better at respecting indigenous culture that's for drat sure...) so just loving own it that your country's team isn't as good and live with it.

It's not like we're Australia, who used to be able to beat the All Blacks occasionally.

butros posted:

"A potential try isn't the only thing Wallabies halfback Nick Phipps threw away on Saturday night."

Stuff posted:

Of course, Phipps may well have been attempting to hand the boot back to Fekitoa. His passing isn't always the most accurate.

:vince:

Apollodorus fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Aug 30, 2016

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

butros posted:

Well y'know, it's Stuff, even they have enough wits to take the piss out of Australian rugby. Can't hit any harder targets, mind.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.
:siren: Pro 12 Fantasy League :siren:

http://fantasy.pro12rugby.com/pro12/en/1/userhome.do

Goon League Code :
713886-322

I think it's the first time Guinness have done one. They actually make you pick some really obscure players in order to come in under budget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

So many terrible players, so few positions to put them in.