Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Apple released the Apple TV Remote App today. It's not the same app as the old remote, so it won't just update to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I'm honestly super curious why they made a new app versus updating the old one.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I wonder whether the new app will -- actually work.

I never once managed to get my ATV4 to connect to the old app. I would get the prompt to enter digits, I'd enter the digits as they appeared, but then the app would literally do nothing. I could backspace the digits but then if I tried to re-enter them again it would give me the "WRONG" screen-shake.

Very annoying.

BGrifter posted:

Our library had a number of issues with patrons getting redirected from the library log-in to a generic one where you get stuck with a crummy trial vs the full library subscription you should have. Definitely contact the reference desk at your local library and mention it. I know they've been going back and forth with the Lynda.com people here for a while sorting out one device at a time. There was all sorts of strange behaviour like logging in, using it for five minutes, then suddenly being stuck in trial mode.

Hmm, that's good advice, thanks. In the end I just went to the website and created playlists for all the stuff I want to watch. Playlists seem to translate over just fine so I'm not having issues with that.

Will mention it when I go to a branch next, thanks.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Thwomp posted:

Probably because the old one was a side project of one guy at Apple who I believe is no longer there.

Apparently, that's why the old one wasn't working on day one of ATV4

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

flosofl posted:

Apparently, that's why the old one wasn't working on day one of ATV4

Or not ever, for some of us.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The old one worked fine for me, as does this one.

choobs
Mar 25, 2004
Never bring a duck to a cock fight.

Endless Mike posted:

The old one worked fine for me, as does this one.

Yeah, I never had a problem with the old one, but the new one is better with a Siri button and a Home Screen button.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Thwomp posted:

Seems like the new one has authentication to the Apple TV via a code on the screen?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Pretty sure the old one did, as well.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

BGrifter posted:

I vaguely recall hearing the CBC wasn't geoblocking their excellent olympic coverage last time around. Might be worth investigating. On the older Apple TV you'd just have to log into a Canadian app store account and it updates with Canada-specific apps.

I'm not sure if anything has changed in the last few months, but I read something just now saying that CBC had no intentions of making an ATV app due to AirPlaying being available. Must say I'm a little sick of this attitude when people have knocked up apps for tv services in literally a day.

Hopefully between xfinity, nbc sports app, and BBC iplayer if I can get it working with a smart dns service I'll have all the olympics my little brain can handle.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah I'm sick of that attitude. Yes I can airplay. No, I don't want to dedicate a machine as an AirPlay source, that's WHY I bought an AppleTV.

CBC is a shitshow lately so this probably has more to do with the fact that they're trying to cut budget everywhere, but still.

Also pleased as punch that the Remote app works for me now. Honestly don't know what was blocking the other one from working but the nightmare is over now.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Aug 4, 2016

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Even if you could access CBC's coverage with a VPN, why would you expect their app to not be geoblocked to the Canadian App Store?

And of course they're geoblocking. The IOC makes a fortune holding bidding wars for every country. Comcast-NBC wouldn't pay $texas for the Olympic broadcast rights until your grandchildren are dead if Americans could just casually watch Canadian coverage live.

Every begrudging element about NBC's Olympic coverage, from the cable subscription authorization to watch anything online from an OTA broadcaster, to the culturally significant events being tape delayed until prime time to capture higher ad dollars, is one of those :capitalism: things that is anti-consumer but beneficial for every single involved party except viewers.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Craptacular! posted:

Even if you could access CBC's coverage with a VPN, why would you expect their app to not be geoblocked to the Canadian App Store?

If you do it correctly, you can get Apple IDs for any country you want - you're just limited to free apps because they're quite stringent on payment methods actually being linked to that country.

I've always held UK and US accounts and the Apple TV is actually the best device so far for multiple accounts. You can now switch between them with one click (it now remembers the passwords! Joy!) and I'm 90% sure that the apps are updating even if you're not logged in with that account. It's pretty great.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Yeah getting an account for another region's App Store is trivial. Loads of people in the iOS games thread have app store accounts for Japan, New Zealand and Canada. Tons of Canadians made US App Store accounts to get Pokemon Go ahead of the Canadian launch. If the CBC did release an app (which apparently they're not?) it'd be free being public television and all.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

EL BROMANCE posted:

Hopefully between xfinity, nbc sports app, and BBC iplayer if I can get it working with a smart dns service I'll have all the olympics my little brain can handle.

Good news, BBC iPlayer *does* work with smart dns (at least it does with OverPlay).

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah I had non stop problem with the live stream with AdFreeTime on a U-Verse line (on demand was fine), but I tried it easier at my new place with Xfinity and it works fine. Not sure if it's the line or the service that made the difference, but I'm pretty happy!

Now All4 needs to move over so my wife can watch Come Dine With Me easier than the current rigmarole.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Can someone in Canada tell me if CTV has an app for tvOS? CBC's news app is available in the US, but I kind of prefer CTV for being closer to 50/50 US/Canada news.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Does anyone with beta access, or simply have their ear to the ground, know of how the upcoming single login might work for those of us who authenticate normal cable channels on their own line, but the premium stuff at parents? I know HBO themselves are on record as saying they don't care much, and it'd be a shame to lose it.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I don't think the beta has the single sign on stuff in anyplace visible.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ah fair, wasn't sure if it was up and running to any degree yet.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The new ABC app is pretty neat (don't know when it got updated, as not used it for a while), but didn't it used to have a live streaming option? Can't see that anymore. I like the throwback show stuff though, that's a good addition.

E: ah it's the cbs app that's got the live streaming. Although that's behind a paywall. Maybe abc did too? It's been a while since I checked since it didn't work in my old place.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Aug 18, 2016

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I got an Apple TV 3rd Gen recently and Netflix seems fine but the quality of Airplay is pretty lacklustre. The image on the TV is choppy as hell (I'd say going between 15-20 FPS) and there's a fair bit of input lag.

Does anyone else have any experience with this? I tried to run it through an Ethernet Cable and the max speed I can get out of it on that is 100 Mbps. I then tried to do it through 5GHz Wifi and the max speed I can get is 150 Mbps ... it should theoretically go all the way up to like 250MB right?

What gives? My iPhone is pulling 433 MBps.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The Ethernet is 10/100, so that's one mystery solved.

Does it need to be faster?

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Subjunctive posted:

The Ethernet is 10/100, so that's one mystery solved.

Does it need to be faster?

I think that's the issue. I'm trying to stream from my MBPR. So, for instance, if I've got a Twitch Window open or I'm trying to mirror something in from VLC it'll be choppy as hell for some reason – I figured a 5GHz Wifi connection would be more than to carry non-choppy video on to a TV.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Well, does it buffer when playing HD content from the iTunes Store? That's also being pulled over the network. You could run a network monitoring tool on the laptop and see whether it's saturating the 150 Mbps of the network.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Subjunctive posted:

Well, does it buffer when playing HD content from the iTunes Store? That's also being pulled over the network. You could run a network monitoring tool on the laptop and see whether it's saturating the 150 Mbps of the network.

It runs HD stuff from Netflix absolutely fine – no issues at all.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

You might be encountering the fast that AirPlay sucks butt.

vtlock
Feb 7, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

You might be encountering the fast that AirPlay sucks butt.

I use AirPlay daily and have no problems.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

vtlock posted:

I use AirPlay daily and have no problems.

I use it for video, which I think has a special path, but not successfully as mirroring. The latency even on wired networks is brutal.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I was able to make the FPS better on the Airplay Mirroring by cutting down the number of Wireless Networks in the house (don't ask) and extending the signal range to 20/40/80 Mhz and removing the "a" bracket from 5Ghz. It's still a bit choppy – ok for a Twitch video or whatever but definitely not for watching a movie.

It's stupid that they'd create a box that can't handle mirroring properly and give it loving 10/100 Ethernet. Like how much extra per unit would it have cost just to let it handle Cat6. The new Apple TV has 802.11ac so this probably isn't a problem on it but still has 10/100 :arghfist:

All I wanted was something that would mean I don't have to plug and unplug HDMI cables in to my TV and now it looks like if I want to do that I'm going to have to convert the video files and put them in loving iTunes uggggghhhhhhh killll meeee

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
My ATV 3 (and now 4) are wired to my router. Never had any problems with Airplay. From what you're describing your network is just configured all weird from whatever reasons.

edit: Also if you have the ATV3 revision A, it uses a peer to peer connection, bypassing the router.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Aug 28, 2016

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
The 10/100 ethernet is basically a USB 2 attached ethernet port, it can't go any faster unless they change the actual method the ethernet port is attached which would cost apple more money. It's a cost saving measure and it's a dumb one.

That said, even 100mbps ethernet should be fine for streaming most 1080p video from a local NAS. One advantage of the new Apple TV is that you're not stuck with Apple's video apps, so you can use something like Infuse to stream non-apple codecs (it can basically do anything) so the only thing you'd have to mirror is something where an app isn't available, like Amazon video. The new Apple TV would solve most of this for you (and be a better experience) but I understand not wanting to get one just for that. When I had the older Apple TV I had problems using mirroring for stuff until I got everything on a clear 5GHz band and even then sometimes mirroring would go wacky. Never had any problems doing Youtube or HTML5 airplay though, since that isn't capturing video, it's just sending data. The newer AppleTV also supports 300mbps N as well as AC protocols which I found improved my mirroring experience considerably, but at this point I just don't mirror anymore.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Quick update on Apple TV 3 woes:

Found a very good conversion app called "Smart Converter" which manages to convert most video files and get them in to your iTunes library automatically within twenty seconds. I'm using the free version atm but I'll probably upgrade to Pro for batch conversion functionality and also because it seems like a very well made application that does exactly what it says on the tin.

No issues whatsoever running the 1080p files natively from the iTunes application on the Apple TV3.

Ideally I would have gotten mirroring to work with no-lag/stutter but this is fine I guess for a product I paid €40 for.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Are you trying to actually mirror your whole screen from the MBP to the ATV? Or just the video?

Streaming the whole retina screen would use a whole lot more bandwidth than just a 1080p video, I imagine, and might require a low latency gigabit connection to work fine.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Are you trying to actually mirror your whole screen from the MBP to the ATV? Or just the video?

Streaming the whole retina screen would use a whole lot more bandwidth than just a 1080p video, I imagine, and might require a low latency gigabit connection to work fine.

It was the whole screen. There doesn't seem to be an option for video player applications to only AirPlay what's being run in the application without there being a corresponding app to pick it up on Apple TV, which requires an Apple TV 4 with the relevant companion app.

I'm pretty sure when I went to AirPlay mirror it scaled down both displays to 1080p and it was still laggy.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are
Get Beamer. Enjoy your new AirPlay goodness.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

1997 posted:

Get Beamer. Enjoy your new AirPlay goodness.

Thanks - I'll try it and report back when I'm home from holidays

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
It happened to me. I lost the remote. Thankfully, the new Apple TV Remote app works for everything but the volume control (which is a not-insignificant thing). Apple still officially charges $80 for a standalone remote.

And then we found it in some recess of the couch (like down a hole that is barely a hole). So yeah, I'd love a little locater ringer or something like some Roku remotes have.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
I've never used the Siri remote, I've always used a Harmony remote. I left it in the box in case I ever resell it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah those things aren't cheap, which is why I put up with mine having a chunk taken out of it and a nice crack along the glass. Still works fine just looks ugly. Who'd have thought it hitting a tiled surface would be a bad thing? Oops.