Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Legit shocked the Julie Newmar is alive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Animation is stiff but I guess it kinda works for this, wish the style wasn't just Young Justice with slight tweaks. Still hype.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It should look like Jonny Quest or one of those Synchro Vox shows.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Jack Gladney posted:

It should look like Jonny Quest or one of those Synchro Vox shows.

Yeah, for once cheap animation could actually help them out here.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

SRM posted:

Yeah, for once cheap animation could actually help them out here.

Well, they certainly did get cheap animation

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
So the hot new rumor is that Netflix has indeed approached the Young Justice producers about a possible 3rd season, due to the good performance of the show after it was added tot he service. If you remember, some of the people were asking that fans show support by watching the show on Netflix. None of this is confirmed as far as I know, but it is an interesting rumor for the time being.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Here is a better trailer for the adam west batman.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5r6a8bOahFQ

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

ToastyPotato posted:

So the hot new rumor is that Netflix has indeed approached the Young Justice producers about a possible 3rd season, due to the good performance of the show after it was added tot he service. If you remember, some of the people were asking that fans show support by watching the show on Netflix. None of this is confirmed as far as I know, but it is an interesting rumor for the time being.

This happened just as the Light planned.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

deong posted:

Ahhh those super-thin black lines on the character models make them look so bad.

The "rue" line was funny though waaugh wah wah wah

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

deong posted:

Two things.

1. I see no joker mustache.
2. How will DC ruin this? See number 1.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Weisman just shot down the Netflix rumor on Twitter so oh well.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

ToastyPotato posted:

Weisman just shot down the Netflix rumor on Twitter so oh well.

Well that's unsurprising.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Why would someone go to Peter David for YJ anyway? didn't he just do a few scripts for the series?

deong posted:

That animation looks so stiff, the style is so nothing. :smith:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

That animation looks so stiff, the style is so nothing. :smith:

You just described every DC animated film as far back as I can remember.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Two years back is a pretty short memory span, because the Suicide Squad movie was actually pretty good looking despite its dumb everything else.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Bad Blood had some pretty smooth animation at points.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Baal posted:

Two years back is a pretty short memory span, because the Suicide Squad movie was actually pretty good looking despite its dumb everything else.

Aside from Deadshot going off-model at points.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Lurdiak posted:

You just described every DC animated film as far back as I can remember.

The Wonder Woman/Big Barda vs. The Furies fight scene in Superman/Batman: Apocalypse was pretty well done imo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPlSdns_n1E&hd=1

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

DC didn't adopt the current style until Justice League: WAR

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

They should give Young Justice a third season so this art style can just stay contained in that show.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

They should give Young Justice a third season so this art style can just stay contained in that show.

What's sad was that YJ probably had higher quality animation than most of the DC movies since WAR.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

teagone posted:

The Wonder Woman/Big Barda vs. The Furies fight scene in Superman/Batman: Apocalypse was pretty well done imo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPlSdns_n1E&hd=1

The animation is pretty good and all, but what is with one of the Furies literally saying, "surrender, or the bitch gets it!" as she holds Big Barda hostage? Like, man, I get that DC wants to be edgy and adult or whatever, but even so, it's a line that feels totally out of place in the far-flung Kirby sci-fi setting that's being being plied here.

Also Granny Goodness' voice acting is abominable. Sheesh.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

In general, I've felt that recent DC movies' attempts to be adult have been more embarrassing than anything else. They usually amount to someone calling someone a bitch two or three times a movie and maybe some blood. It's like, would Batman Beyond have been improved if Terry occasionally called Inque a bitch? That's the approach being taken here.

VoidTek
Jul 30, 2002

HAPPYELF WAS RIGHT

Android Blues posted:

Also Granny Goodness' voice acting is abominable. Sheesh.

Actually I think you will find that Granny Goodness' voice acting is cool and good, because she's been voiced by Ed Asner since the original Superman: The Animated Series and that is amazing casting.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Android Blues posted:

In general, I've felt that recent DC movies' attempts to be adult have been more embarrassing than anything else. They usually amount to someone calling someone a bitch two or three times a movie and maybe some blood. It's like, would Batman Beyond have been improved if Terry occasionally called Inque a bitch? That's the approach being taken here.

Well Paul Dini wrote Arkham City didn't he? That game calls Catwoman a bitch while you play her almost literally every couple of minutes. So in general, yes, DC's idea of making mature content is generally to throw in the word bitch, some blood, and some tits and rear end.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ToastyPotato posted:

Well Paul Dini wrote Arkham City didn't he? That game calls Catwoman a bitch while you play her almost literally every couple of minutes. So in general, yes, DC's idea of making mature content is generally to throw in the word bitch, some blood, and some tits and rear end.

That's pretty much DC comics in a nutshell, isn't it?

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Yeah, it's a shame. Having lowlife criminals in Gotham say it is at least slightly less tone-deaf than having cosmic Kirby demi-gods bandy it about in a space coliseum, but it's fairly bad either way.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

ToastyPotato posted:

Don't forget the thugs convos where they plan on raping Harley

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Was Dini still there for City? Thought he just did Asylum.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

hup posted:

Was Dini still there for City? Thought he just did Asylum.

I looked it up and there's an interview with him about writing City. Pretty much no one from the first two worked on Origins though. Funnily enough, I thought Origins had better writing than the first two. Probably even better than Knight.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
It's not hard to have better writing than Arkham Knight.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

TwoPair posted:

Some military fiction guy wrote Knight and boy does it show.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I kinda doubt Dini was writing incidental environmental dialogue

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

well i hope they fired whoever did write that stuff because even outside of all that it was real baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad. its like someone sat down and thought "MAN I REALLY GOTTA REINFORCE THAT EVERYONE IN ARKHAM CITY IS A BAD MAN WHO DOES BAD THINGS AND YOU SHOULD FEEL NO REMORSE ABOUT BREAKING ALL OF THEIR LIMBS" and then didn't actually put anymore thought past that before writing

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

TwoPair posted:

The Joker stuff in AK is fantastic.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The Joker stuff in AK is fantastic.

That is because the Joker gets to hang around and riff on the rest of the story which is pretty lovely.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

I like how they really, really wanted to "blindside" people with Arkham Knight being, gasp, Jason Todd, and were playing up super hard that his identity was a mystery...

...except that they also had to then build up Jason Todd's entire backstory in one game, and they were beating people over the head with "HERE'S THE DEAD ROBIN, BATMAN FAILED HIM, JOKER KILLED HIM, HE'S DEAD, REALLY, GUYS DID WE MENTION JASON TODD WAS ROBIN AND IS REALLY DEAD?". Well, then, I wonder who Arkham Knight could be?! Maybe the guy they only just introduced this game, with the backstory that explains how he knows all of Batman's secrets, the whiny personality, and the off-screen death?

I mean, everyone who knew about the Red Hood stuff immediately realized who Arkham Knight was the moment marketing let anything loose about him, because Jason Todd was the most obvious answer possible. Interviews tried super hard to hide it, but it was like Writing 101.

Really, most of the Arkham series' writing just seems amateurish. Especially when women are concerned, it's like someone on the staff decided that the word "woman" translates to "skank", and thus pretty much every female character in the series has about fifty pounds of makeup and exposed cleavage. Every time I look at Catwoman in those games, I'm just like "Hey, please, zip up a bit, pull down the goggles". Meanwhile apparently Harley is just a Hot Topic given human form, and Poison Ivy is permanently fused to her skank-style Arkham Asylum outfit.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I thought it was funny that master martial artist Deathstroke the Terminator is only fought in a tank, and when he gets out is instantly defeated by Batman in a cutscene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

That was the absolute worst, because that fight in origins ruled