Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
I wouldn't at all be surprised if they're constantly trying to pressure them into making subpar models still. Hell is be surprised if they weren't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

Slanderer posted:

Uhhh, the comparable scenario there is certain console bundle SKUs only being sold at a certain retailer (such as walmart).

The thing being discussed is stuff like DVD players, where Walmart might get a unique model with a different SKU and less features, in order to meet the Walmart price point. This kind of product all comes from overseas, so unless you drive "ocean trucks" (technical term) you don't know poo poo about it you loving moron

You are stupid, I brought that up a long loving time ago. These loving idiots don't understand that and think that everything matches and there is no way to tell them apart. R->C->P.

Also I deal/dealt with "ocean trucks" So unless you want to be stuffed in a can full poo poo headed to loving Tokyo on the Ever Chivary you'll stop being stupid too.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

InterceptorV8 posted:

You are stupid, I brought that up a long loving time ago. These loving idiots don't understand that and think that everything matches and there is no way to tell them apart. R->C->P.

Literally no one thinks this except you.

InterceptorV8 posted:

Also I deal/dealt with "ocean trucks" So unless you want to be stuffed in a can full poo poo headed to loving Tokyo on the Ever Chivary you'll stop being stupid too.

Please take less pills. Or more. I am not a doctor.

Gamer With Dignity
May 15, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

InterceptorV8 posted:

Lay off the meth.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Slanderer posted:

Literally no one thinks this except you.

Please take less pills. Or more. I am not a doctor.

I will hunt you down and deport you.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

BOY I SURE DO LOVE THIS SLAPFIGHT

Here's a bunch of poo poo that's going down the drain: rando stores that open up in the cursed lots in the mall. Nothing has stayed more than 3 months in several of these lots, and half the stores on my side are gone.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Neurion posted:

Here's a bunch of poo poo that's going down the drain: rando stores that open up in the cursed lots in the mall. Nothing has stayed more than 3 months in several of these lots, and half the stores on my side are gone.

How many are Vapist Depots?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

absolute rekt

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Neurion posted:

Have they tried to move in one of those loving Goodwill Expresses yet? That's when you know poo poo has gone wrong.

Gamer With Dignity
May 15, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
You had a meltdown about Walmart lmao

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Gamer With Dignity posted:

You had a meltdown about Walmart lmao

You paid $15 to join SA in 2016.

That's even worse

Gamer With Dignity
May 15, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

InterceptorV8 posted:

You paid $15 to join SA in 2016.

That's even worse

No it isn't.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

It's

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
How would he have been able to point out your inability to comprehend product lines if he hadnt though?

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Skipping 7 pages to ask if this is about Walmart?

Genderfluent
Jul 15, 2015

Like all good threads, this one has died by shitposts

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Darth123123 posted:

Skipping 7 pages to ask if this is about Walmart?

yeah, unstoppable idiot force met immovable idiot object

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Cool_tony posted:

Like all good threads, this one has died by shitposts

No thread in GBS can ever be called "good"

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Fat Shat Sings posted:

yeah, unstoppable idiot force met immovable idiot object

What happened to th truck driver?

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

Darth123123 posted:

What happened to th truck driver?

their way of life will be crushed. another profession circling the drain.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/jun/17/self-driving-trucks-impact-on-drivers-jobs-us

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

WaryWarren posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/jun/17/self-driving-trucks-impact-on-drivers-jobs-us

I will be retired from doing that a long time before that happens.

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
I have no idea what interceptor is even arguing about but I guess I'll keep reading at least until he accidentally starts quoting and arguing with his own posts

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
But seriously, lol at this being angry truck driver guy's time to shine. "Walmart's supply chain? Holy poo poo I can finally show up these snooty computer janitors!"

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
Better lose my poo poo and threaten to ship a nerd to Japan because who knows the next time this opportunity might present itself

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Citizen Tayne posted:

I usually go to Cain's in Dormont. You're more than welcome to come introduce yourself. PM me for my phone number, and come out to hang with me if you aren't a big biteless bitch.

So I gave you my email address and checked it throughout the last few hours and waited but you didn't email me your phone number so

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
If you don't understand why companies might make stuff specifically for Walmart this might help. If it doesn't help you at all then there's nothing else I can do. Everyone else just skip this post.

Okay, I think one reason why the "argument" persisted for so long is that no one gave the guy any frame of reference. So here's a short example and an :effort: example.

Here's the short example posted:

It's 2026 and Fox is putting out 10th anniversary Deadpool BetaMaxs. Target is willing to pay Fox an extra $5 a BetaMax if it comes with post-cards. Hot Topic is willing to an extra $10 a BetaMax if they get post-cards and a keychain of Deadpool jacking off a unicorn. Fox agrees to this because the cost of the custom orders is much less than the extra profit they'll make off the custom orders.

The BetaMaxs themselves get made all at once, most go straight to the warehouse. A chunk of them are set aside to get post cards added. Some of the post-card BetaMaxs get Target packaging before getting sent to a different part of the warehouse. Others get a keychain added before they're put in Hot Topic packaging. They're also sent to a different part of the warehouse. An inventory control system tells the workers which boxes of BetaMaxs are at what parts of the warehouse and where to ship those boxes. Everyone gets what they ordered and is happy.

But that was about adding stuff to a product. What about Walmart selling crappy products? posted:

Let's say it's August 2016 and I run Widget Co. We sell deluxe widgets for $400. They can be red or blue. To keep track of what product is what we use the tracking codes DWR-400 and DWB-400.

Every year we get orders for 41,000 DWR-400s and 24,000 DWB-400s. That's $26 million dollars in orders a year. We've got a few hundred of each stockpiled in a warehouse just in case someone needs a lot of the widgets now. But in general our wholesaler customers don't need a lot of widgets immediately. So they tell us how many widgets they want. We tell them how much it'll cost and how long it'll take for us to fill the order. Then we get paid and the order gets made and we're all happy. One week we might only make DWR-400s, the next week we might make a mix of DWR-400s and DWB-400s. In the end we've got a system to make the widgets, track the widgets in warehouses, and ship the widgets to the right customers.

Around this time Walmart decides they want to sell widgets in time for Christmas 2017. They want an initial run of 120,000 red and blue widgets to sell online and at their thousands of Walmarts/Sams Clubs. They're ordering over a year ahead of time and they want to receive the orders throughout the month of November 2017. If all goes well they'll buy more widgets.

But Walmart is cheap. They only want to pay $300 for the deluxe widgets. This means making a custom-order run of deluxe widgets with worse specs than the $400 model. They also want the $300 widgets exclusive to Walmart. And they want the packaging to look similar to the $400 widgets. This is an order worth $36 million dollars, so I take it. Because these widgets are different from the other ones they're tracked as DWR-300 and DWB-300. We hire more workers and expand our factory space. By 2018 we've cannibalize sales from our existing buyers but we're still coming out on top.

Why would Walmart want to sell an inferior model in the first place? First it draws people into the store where they'll buy more than just the widget. Second people who are looking for a cheap deluxe widget probably won't research the differences between the -300 and the -400 models. They'll just see similar looking packaging and think the other stores are jacking the price. So that's how making separate product lines for Walmart can be a thing that companies are willing to do. And that's why customers fall for buying a worse product.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
I miss talking about Sears.

shut up netface
Jun 15, 2008

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Hell mattress stores do this PER STORE. Walk into one Sleepy's and they have a different mattress model number than another Sleepy's! Just so you can't shop around.

Was quoted $1100 for a mattress; found one on Amazon for $200 that was incredible. So maybe mattress stores will be next on the chopping block.
Without a doubt. I'm nearly 30 and have purchased all of my mattresses at Sams Club. It's always some version of a fancier mattress like a Sealy or whatever at a fraction of what a mattress normally costs. poo poo I was tempted to buy a 160 dollar queen on sale. It seems bizarre that you'd want to go into a mattress store to buy one.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

RandomPauI posted:

If you don't understand why companies might make stuff specifically for Walmart this might help. If it doesn't help you at all then there's nothing else I can do. Everyone else just skip this post.

Okay, I think one reason why the "argument" persisted for so long is that no one gave the guy any frame of reference. So here's a short example and an :effort: example.

This right here is what i was talking about. Skip all the idiotic posts by Interceptor and read my last posts like 4 pages ago actually understand how it works for Walmart.

I mentioned electronics between retailers. An even easier example is apparel. Clothing manufacturers switch quality, volume, and styles on the same goddam lines. The same factory makes the same brand of jeans for two different companies and they are two different retail prices because they are literally made differently with different materials. All under the same brand.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Rough Lobster posted:

I miss talking about Sears.

What will be the next chain after Sears/K-Mart to sink under the seas?

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
Probably Barnes and Noble or Best Buy?

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Jastiger posted:

This right here is what i was talking about. Skip all the idiotic posts by Interceptor and read my last posts like 4 pages ago actually understand how it works for Walmart.

I mentioned electronics between retailers. An even easier example is apparel. Clothing manufacturers switch quality, volume, and styles on the same goddam lines. The same factory makes the same brand of jeans for two different companies and they are two different retail prices because they are literally made differently with different materials. All under the same brand.

I know for a fact that Nike does this

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

JnnyThndrs posted:

Best Buy will keep limping along until the Boomers who either don't use the internet, don't trust online shopping, or have to touch/demo the item first are gone.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

WaryWarren posted:

Won't someone think of the lot lizards?

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Dirk Squarejaw posted:

Best Buy will keep limping along until the Boomers who either don't use the internet, don't trust online shopping, or have to touch/demo the item first are gone.

I believed this as well but surprisingly they've been able to turn things around and seem to be on the upswing again. We'll see if it lasts but they definitely have a gameplan now instead of just lying there waiting for amazon's coup de grace like they were before

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

JnnyThndrs posted:

Oddly enough it won't be Radio Shack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PallasAthene
Dec 6, 2010

Why, vixen, have you again set the gods by the ears in the pride and haughtiness of your heart?

Jastiger posted:

This is why you have to either go to the mall for Levi's or get them online. I'm not sure what the Levi's at WalMart are like, but the ones at Target are "Levi's Denizen" or some poo poo, and they don't feel the same as the real deal.