Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I assumed that the microstamp thing was just added as part of the "Mr. Robot takes place in a world very like ours, but also different and possibly in the near future". After all, businesses in Mr. Robot accept bitcoins, which may be a thing in some places irl, but I've never seen it. Google exists in Mr. Robot, but it's dwarfed by the fictional E Corp.

Anyway, finally watched this week's episode last night. Great episode. Couple of things: Firstly, I haven't thought much about Tyrell this season because I don't really care about it, so it wasn't until this episode that I realized it may be part of Elliot/Mr. Robot, Joanna, or Whiterose's plant to frame Tyrell for the 5/9 hacks. He's a pretty good fall-guy for it.

Secondly, I'm not sure how bad of a person the lawyer was. I feel like there were some parallels to Angela being drawn. Laughing at a court verdict in favor of E Corp? That's the sort of sad, absurd thing that someone in Angela's position might laugh at, not because it's funny, but because it's sad. Unless I missed something, the only dirt they found on the lawyer was that she was having an affair with a judge, which is pretty unethical, but not necessarily evil.

Good on Darlene taking care of business though. I get that none of them are comfortable with murder, but I feel like "look, we broke the loving world open, and a whole bunch of people's lives have been destroyed because of it. People have died because of what we did. Now this lady has seen all of our faces and so we have to kill her." would have been totally appropriate.

Loved the scenes with Trenton and Mobley. Great chemistry there.

Also, I'm not actually supporting the "Darlene and Elliot are the same person" theory, because I don't think it actually makes any sense, but I just wanted to say that some of those same crazy thoughts have raced through my mind this season. A show like this gives you a lot to think about, and not every thought is going to part of a coherent theory that makes sense.

I am also wondering if the dark army did inject something. I ended watching that episode twice, and the second time, the syringe seems very visibly empty. The case does give me pause. I kept wondering if the needle contained some kind of bug or tracker. It's probably nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Elite posted:

Also with White Rose we already have a character acting as their own sister.
If anything, that would support the theory by foreshadowing it. Honestly the whole key symbolism pointed out above seems to have some legs to it.

I think with a show like this, wildly theorizing to figure it all out is part of the experience, but I'd rather watch it being open to others' interpretations instead of saying "nah that's ridiculous". It's already been ridiculous and is just going to get more and more insane as it goes on. That's what makes it fun. And the fact that they've set up situations where these could all be possibilities due to unreliable storytelling leaves it open to the most batshit theories on purpose. We're already Elliot's head-friend. We're already involved from the start, the second he addresses us in the pilot.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Zarlog posted:

E Corp = Elliott Corp

Elliot came from the future and founded E-Corp so the young him could destroy E-Corp, calling it now

(this is literally a lot less stupid than "Darlene is Elliot" theory)

EDIT:

sticklefifer posted:

If anything, that would support the theory by foreshadowing it. Honestly the whole key symbolism pointed out above seems to have some legs to it.

I think with a show like this, wildly theorizing to figure it all out is part of the experience, but I'd rather watch it being open to others' interpretations instead of saying "nah that's ridiculous". It's already been ridiculous and is just going to get more and more insane as it goes on. That's what makes it fun. And the fact that they've set up situations where these could all be possibilities due to unreliable storytelling leaves it open to the most batshit theories on purpose. We're already Elliot's head-friend. We're already involved from the start, the second he addresses us in the pilot.

Its reidiculus by the simple fact that it would turn like half of the scenes in complete nonsense unless we fall into some kind of "its was all a dream!!" solution, which would be the worst

So far both big twists (Elliot is Mr Robot and Elliot is in prison) had the distinct characteristic of actually making everything that happen before make even more sense, not less. Is a huge mindfuck twist and everything falls into place perfectly. Darlene = Elliot is just dumb, sorry

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Aug 27, 2016

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
This isn't really related to anything, but I notice a lot of people in the thread call BD Wong's character "White Rose", while I call them "Whiterose". I write it as one word simply because that is how the character is credited on IMDB. I never bothered to go back and check if that's how it's typed in IRC in the show or whatever.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Man elliot must really gently caress like a mynx if he was able to turn Sisco out and get that police officer to give him the time of day.

Kawasaki Nun fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Aug 27, 2016

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Every single character is Elliot

Its all in his head!

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Elias_Maluco posted:

Every single character is Elliot

Its all in his head!

The entire show is actually manifestations of Elliot's fan theories of watching some other show (probably Alf) while in a mental institution.

There's also no reason for this, but in my brain, Tyrell is named Tyrell as a Blade Runner reference.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
I still can't believe people thought Tyrell and Elliot were the same person. I can't believe anyone actually thinks Darlene is Elliot.

Benson Cunningham fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Aug 27, 2016

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Ohhhhh wtf. Just finished the last three episodes of season 1. My brain is hiring from all the craziness. My one big question, is Elliot the one we see talking to people in Christian slaters place? Like the scene with him and Romero, or him and Tyrrell in the car alone in episode 8. Aaaaa I can't handle how crazy this is.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

The pop corn machine is Elliot

let me get my notes, I'm gonna explain it to you

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(

Kingtheninja posted:

Ohhhhh wtf. Just finished the last three episodes of season 1. My brain is hiring from all the craziness. My one big question, is Elliot the one we see talking to people in Christian slaters place? Like the scene with him and Romero, or him and Tyrrell in the car alone in episode 8. Aaaaa I can't handle how crazy this is.

No, in the Romero scene it was Darlene-Elliot, but in the Tyrell scene it was just him talking to himself.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Paperhouse posted:

What is it with this show and people coming up with the stupidest theories. I read someone elsewhere saying they thought Elliot was actually in prison for all of season one too :psyduck:
Because if someone manages to guess the crazy twist, they feel smart... despite the fact that all they did was guess. Seeing a bunch of clues, making a guess based on them, then being proven true is a kind of validation people don't get often in the world of popular dramatic television. Especially when it's something that isn't revealed until deep, deep into the season but is hinted at from the very beginning. In other words, people like to feel special. :)

As for whether or not Tyrell is dead, I'm still of the mindset that he is and Elliot did indeed shoot him, but he did not deliver the killing blow.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

DaveKap posted:

Because if someone manages to guess the crazy twist, they feel smart... despite the fact that all they did was guess. Seeing a bunch of clues, making a guess based on them, then being proven true is a kind of validation people don't get often in the world of popular dramatic television. Especially when it's something that isn't revealed until deep, deep into the season but is hinted at from the very beginning. In other words, people like to feel special. :)

I personally find it to be a challenge and I've voiced my thoughts on there being an "encryption" to the story. I do kinda want to feel special and I'll articulate it in the theme of the show: "I want to be the one to hack the Gibson." However I'd just feel clever, not smart. Also, putting my theory out there both contests my theory for being weak but also adds supporting details I didn't think of like how Whiterose and Zhang are brother/sister alter egos.

One thing I really like about the show is that there is a lot to discuss and it is very dense. Even when the story isn't causing "what if..." discussion there are a ton of intertextual references to other media including songs, plays, movies,and actual news events/coverage. After Season 1 ended someone made a really detailed post about how many Macbeth allusions there were with Tyrell's family. So many broad but detailed nods there that the story could be encrypted fully by media references. Which is why I like this post:

Snak posted:

The entire show is actually manifestations of Elliot's fan theories of watching some other show (probably Alf) while in a mental institution.

There's also no reason for this, but in my brain, Tyrell is named Tyrell as a Blade Runner reference.

The Sean fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Aug 28, 2016

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Season 5 episode 12: It was all a dreeeeaaaaam!

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Paperhouse posted:

Season 5 episode 12: It was all a dreeeeaaaaam!

More like "It was all a show". Elliot hacks Sam Esmail's computer and finds the scrips of all the things that have happened in the show, and he turns to us and he's like "I told you everything, how could you never tell me that my life is just a television show!?"

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Snak posted:

More like "It was all a show". Elliot hacks Sam Esmail's computer and finds the scrips of all the things that have happened in the show, and he turns to us and he's like "I told you everything, how could you never tell me that my life is just a television show!?"

This is really amazing.

Elliot being a popcorn machine, though. Gonna have to look out for that.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Since everyone else on this drat show is hosed up, I wonder what the deal is with Mobley and Trenton. Then again, I hope they're not really all that hosed up because it would be a breath of fresh air.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Doctor Butts posted:

Since everyone else on this drat show is hosed up, I wonder what the deal is with Mobley and Trenton. Then again, I hope they're not really all that hosed up because it would be a breath of fresh air.
Everyone being hosed up is 1-dimensionalizing them this season, so I kinda prefer to have some fleshing out of the normies.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

Snak posted:

I assumed that the microstamp thing was just added as part of the "Mr. Robot takes place in a world very like ours, but also different and possibly in the near future". After all, businesses in Mr. Robot accept bitcoins, which may be a thing in some places irl, but I've never seen it. Google exists in Mr. Robot, but it's dwarfed by the fictional E Corp.

It takes place in 2015 as can be seen in many places. The reason people are taking bit coin is that people can only have $50 a day out of their bank accounts.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Zythrst posted:

It takes place in 2015 as can be seen in many places. The reason people are taking bit coin is that people can only have $50 a day out of their bank accounts.

I meant technologically, not calendar year. It doesn't seem like a stretch to me that in a world where E-Coins are accepted at a failing small business, microstamps would be an existing technology.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Elias_Maluco posted:

Elliot came from the future and founded E-Corp so the young him could destroy E-Corp, calling it now

(this is literally a lot less stupid than "Darlene is Elliot" theory)

23 years ago Price was an up and coming executive who was slowly losing his way and knew he could never hold onto his ideals of changing the company from within by the time he was powerful enough to make a difference. But then he hears Elliot's dad talking about his computer protégé son and gets an idea. He'll plant a post hypnotic solution into Elliot's mind, a logic bomb if you will, that'll one day lead him to the idea of a hack that will slay Ecorp.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Remember When I said Tyrell felt like a reference to Tyrell from Blade Runner? I also think that Price is a reference to Vincent Price and the character is a personification of the devil. Again, no logical reason for this.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

There have been worse foundations for theories in this thread.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Elliot is actually you, but you're not Elliot. Now let me explain in seven paragraphs...

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Does anyone else feel like one of the major reveals is going to be the mother and whatever she is up to? We've never had a scene with her(as a person who is confirmed a real person in the room), but as far as we know she is alive.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
During the heart to heart between Elliot and Robot they keep distinctly saying that they shot tyrell, they never say killed.

"I shot him..."
"No, I shot him..."

I still think tyrell is alive somewhere but wounded or disfigured, and Robot is being a dick by not being totally honest with Elliot.

I want a better explanation for the "Bonsoir, Elliot" phone call than just him imagining it.

Edit: actually my theory now is that Robot was on the phone with Tyrell when Elliot suddenly snapped back into control. He hears tyrell, who then says Bonsoir, Elliot. Which can be used as a goodbye rather than a greeting. This makes sense considering Robot was just finishing up a call with him.

Unless you want to go for the imagination theory where he said goodbye because he's dead

LentThem fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Aug 28, 2016

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

LentThem posted:

During the heart to heart between Elliot and Robot they keep distinctly saying that they shot tyrell, they never say killed.

"I shot him..."
"No, I shot him..."

I still think tyrell is alive somewhere but wounded or disfigured, and Robot is being a dick by not being totally honest with Elliot.

I want a better explanation for the "Bonsoir, Elliot" phone call than just him imagining it.

Edit: actually my theory now is that Robot was on the phone with Tyrell when Elliot suddenly snapped back into control. He hears tyrell, who then says Bonsoir, Elliot. Which can be used as a goodbye rather than a greeting. This makes sense considering Robot was just finishing up a call with him.

Unless you want to go for the imagination theory where he said goodbye because he's dead
Actually, I like this theory a lot. Specifically, whenever friends come up to me hot and bothered about what did and didn't actually happen up until the prison reveal, I have to reassure them. "Everything you heard and saw took place, it was only the scenery dressing that was cloaked and misdirecting." If that were true, with the obvious caveat that Mr. Robot induced hallucinations don't count (direct interaction with Mr. Robot and loving ALF,) then he really did speak with Tyrell.

In any case, no matter what the theory, I do not believe Elliot/Mr. Robot killed Tyrell.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

The Sean posted:

Lastly, I don't even think right now that Elliot's dad pushed him out the window or was a dick to him. He seems super nice in all of the flashbacks but his mom always seems like a bitch.
You mean except for how he told his young son that he was dying of cancer and to keep that secret from the rest of the family? Because that's pretty terrible.

DaveKap posted:

Anyway, gently caress, guess the dark army is out to kill fsociety then? Does that not mean White Rose is going to somehow silence Elliot? After saving him? I am so confused now.
If they decided he was more of a liability than an asset, sure. But just because they think the rest of fsociety are liabilities doesn't mean they think Elliot is.

DaveKap posted:

1: The FBI is willing to plant an agent into gently caress-mode just to investigate someone.
2: The Dark Army is willing to plant an agent into gently caress-mode just to get access to America's poo poo.
What?

DaveKap posted:

Why the gently caress you would tell your neighbor's/friend's/brother's (they didn't mention relation) daughter that she swallows cock real good is beyond me. I feel like even a person who didn't know her, after hearing the simple story of "girl's mom died due to company, company got away with it, girl is now high rank in company" would be like "yeah, she's sabotaging the company or making it so they can't get away with murder again."
That would be a crazy assumption. And I'm pretty sure he was one of her dad's friends, and her dad feels like she just sold him out by settling the lawsuit.

DaveKap posted:

Even if Elliot is valuable, killing his group is not going to gain any favors or make him more effective.
If they can't get him to work for them they can still kill him later. They've already demonstrated that they're not bothered by killing people.

Vanderdeath posted:

Also goddamn, Darlene. You went from 0 - 100 in no loving time flat.
Not really. It's been clear at least since the start of this season that she's pretty fanatical. The others express doubt or remorse, she doesn't.

SpaceAceJase posted:

If anything happened to his sister he'd definitely lose his mind completely. They'd have no use for him then.
They might be willing to risk it. He's an asset, but not a reliable one.

tanglewood1420 posted:

Has it been shown yet what it was Cisco was injected with when the Dark Army guys held him and stuck a needle in hid finger? Is it possible that they injected him with HIV positive blood (or blood infected with something or other) knowing they had a long term play for him to at some point sleep with Darlene and unwittingly pass some virus on to her?
That would be an insane plan. The complexity, the chance factor, the incredibly slow payoff. Why would they bother?

Death Vomit Wizard posted:

How is it that the casing led to the beard guy's gun that was apparently registered to him, yet he owned the gun illegally? Like, he purchased it in another state and then illegally brought it into NY?
Yes. She said it was illegal in NY, not that he'd purchased it illegally.

The Sean posted:

I actually starting wondering about another different dumb take on this during my work/school day. I'm kind of wondering if Darlene's actually real and Elliot is a coping mechanism/dissociative identity for her or she's some transgender version of Elliot.
You're right, that is dumb.

waitwhatno posted:

Darlene is weird. She doesn't show up in any of Elliot's childhood flashbacks and she is never really acknowledged by Mr. Robot.
No one other than Elliot is acknowledged by Mr Robot though.

The Sean posted:

I kind of wonder if the whole dissociative personality stuff is like a Russian nesting doll.

Tiggum posted:

The last episode ends by zooming out to reveal Elliott staring into a snow globe.

Trabandiumium
Feb 20, 2010

Snak posted:

I meant technologically, not calendar year. It doesn't seem like a stretch to me that in a world where E-Coins are accepted at a failing small business, microstamps would be an existing technology.

E-coins != bitcoins, they mentioned actual bitcoins before.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Trabandiumium posted:

E-coins != bitcoins, they mentioned actual bitcoins before.

I'm not sure I understand your point? Ahmed's store had signs indicating he accepted both bitcoin and E-coin.

Trabandiumium
Feb 20, 2010

Oh, well nevermind then

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Snak posted:

I took it as Bitcoin and e-coin gaining prominence when trust in the banks faltered because of 5/9. I doubt any place accepted them before but when cash is rationed and plastic doesn't work anymore any business is going to scramble to adapt before failing. It's not indicative of it being a "slightly more technologically advanced version of our world" it's just what would happen here if 5/9 happened here.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

GutBomb posted:

I took it as Bitcoin and e-coin gaining prominence when trust in the banks faltered because of 5/9. I doubt any place accepted them before but when cash is rationed and plastic doesn't work anymore any business is going to scramble to adapt before failing. It's not indicative of it being a "slightly more technologically advanced version of our world" it's just what would happen here if 5/9 happened here.

Yeah, but I'm not talking about science fiction here. The microstamp thing would just be another example of an existing technology that is actually used more commonly in the world where E-corp exists than in our world irl.

That's all I meant. The show has a fictional setting, where some details are different.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Tiggum posted:

You mean except for how he told his young son that he was dying of cancer and to keep that secret from the rest of the family? Because that's pretty terrible.

I'll consider this when I rewatch it again but I thought that his dad shared it to comfort him after getting bullied at school or something. Still not the best parenting choice, maybe, but I took the intent to be coming from the right place. He ends that scene by letting Elliot name his store, which I felt was sweet. Contrast this with his mom being overtly physically and verbally abusive in Elliots flashbacks. Also, I'm pretty sure Elliots not supposed to tell his mom and Darlene isnt mentioned (Darlene = Elliot, lol) .

Tiggum posted:

You're right, that is dumb.

Thank you for the positive affirmation.

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010

The Sean posted:

Also, I'm pretty sure Elliots not supposed to tell his mom and Darlene isnt mentioned (Darlene = Elliot, lol) .

Mr Robot posted:

I'm sick, Elliot. That's what they're telling me. For a while now. I've been trying to keep it from everybody. Your mom, Darlene, work, you.

Can we stop this nonsense now?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Snak posted:

Yeah, but I'm not talking about science fiction here. The microstamp thing would just be another example of an existing technology that is actually used more commonly in the world where E-corp exists than in our world irl.

That's all I meant. The show has a fictional setting, where some details are different.

That would be absolute garbage tier writing that would never make it onto this show. Suddenly introducing new elements that are different from reality mid way into a story and saying 'well that's just how it's always been in this world it just hasn't come up until now' is a terrible cop out. There's no point in following any details if they writers can just change them at any point with this excuse. It's also completely unnecessary for the microstamp thing. Dumbass smug wealthy guy doesn't seem like a flyover states sort of dude. If he's dumb enough to bring a gun into New York illegally and put it in a safe with the code right there on the wall, he's dumb enough to buy said gun in California with microstamps.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

siggy2021 posted:

Can we stop this nonsense now?

Darlene = his mom.
As in "your mom, Darlene"

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Um... What? Because TV show realities are always completely accurate reflections of reality? E-Corp is wal-mart and google and monsanto all rolled into one, and also google also exists. No one is talking about "introducing retroactive technological differences". The scene were they talk about the gun having a microstamp? It establishes that microstamps are a thing. Done. Just like signs for Bitcoin and E-Coin establish that they are accepted by businesses. There's no loving big deal here. I don't know where you get the idea that I'm suggesting some "garbage tier fictional alternate scifi reality thing".

Honestly, I don't really like the tone of this thread, where people feel the need to attack other people's ideas for being stupid. Why can't we just talk about the show and its ideas in a casual and friendly environment without fighting over whose theory is the stupidest possible thing?

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Gnossiennes posted:

Darlene = his mom.
As in "your mom, Darlene"
Who is Number 1?
You are, Number 6.

Elliot is actually in the village.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

He's been dead the whole time. Darlene can see dead people.

• Locked thread