Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

How much would it cost for us to buy us a sword, or to trade part of the reward for one as has been offered in the past?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
B. Tell Abigail that while she has certainly earned A sword, this particular one belongs to a paladin of Toil who needs it to do his work. Promise that when we get back, we'll get a sword made for her as a bonus for exemplary berserking. One that's HERS and nobody else's. Actually do that, together with some actual training, once we have the chance.

F.

I. "It could have been worse, aye. But it wasn't. The paladin was there to lure it off. We were there to kill it. The paladin serves Toil. We are on a mission for Quackeen. It could've been worse, but the gods didn't allow it."

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
1 + 2: give sword back because waci raging in irc.

3. I - Son, we fought a zombie plant and a invisible astral monster. They do weird poo poo, and we are going to keep killing them because we are not those people in the boat, we are professional monster hunter. *Back-thumb the balista*

4k. Help waci.

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Aug 26, 2016

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
No to doing anything to help gently caress over a Paladin of Toil

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer

Nettle Soup posted:

How much would it cost for us to buy us a sword, or to trade part of the reward for one as has been offered in the past?

That depends on what type of sword you want, and of what quality.

A wooden training sword is a trivial purchase. It is basically a stick.
An entry level bog-standard or military surplus iron long sword? A sharpened metal stick fit for a conscript in the Imperial Army. [02 wealth]
A more serious affair, a high-quality weapon for the professional mercenary or officer? [04 Wealth and upwards]
A sword befit a Paladin of Toil? Probably master-crafted out of alloyed steel and blessed by an actual God? Such a thing probably does not come with a price tag.

In Abigails tiny duck hands, the Paladins sword is a heavy looking two-hander. Though she seems to have wielded it with enough grace and precision to strike the fatal blow to the Boa Conflictor, even perched as she was high atop its slithering body.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Guys? We're absolutely not allowing those under our charge to steal from Toil. She can keep it if the Paladin thinks she earned it, until and unless that happens, she's giving it back.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Waci posted:

B. Tell Abigail that while she has certainly earned A sword, this particular one belongs to a paladin of Toil who needs it to do his work. Promise that when we get back, we'll get a sword made for her as a bonus for exemplary berserking. One that's HERS and nobody else's. Actually do that, together with some actual training, once we have the chance.

F.

I. "It could have been worse, aye. But it wasn't. The paladin was there to lure it off. We were there to kill it. The paladin serves Toil. We are on a mission for Quackeen. It could've been worse, but the gods didn't allow it."
This. Add to Abigail: You do not want to draw Toils ire by stealing one of the cogs of his machine/plans
Add to Konnie: The gods act through the Empire and its citizens, their influence is only as strong as we are, so if we want to make the Empire safer, we need to get better and help improve the Empire where we can.
Also voting K

Is there any religion that directly objects to their followers being burned after death? If so try to identify any followers of it and cart them back home while burning the rest.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

give the sword back

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer

sheep-dodger posted:

[Is there any religion that directly objects to their followers being burned after death? If so try to identify any followers of it and cart them back home while burning the rest.

Burial customs were described in detail in an earlier post that can be found here for your convenience.
In short, no. There is no law or taboo against it. Burning is seen as an acceptable compromise in emergencies, though the families of the deceased might still take offence.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(

sheep-dodger posted:

This. Add to Abigail: You do not want to draw Toils ire by stealing one of the cogs of his machine/plans
Add to Konnie: The gods act through the Empire and its citizens, their influence is only as strong as we are, so if we want to make the Empire safer, we need to get better and help improve the Empire where we can.
Also voting K

Is there any religion that directly objects to their followers being burned after death? If so try to identify any followers of it and cart them back home while burning the rest.

1.C.

2.G. Send Abigail, she isn't of much help now, and it may help her relax.

3.It could have been worse, aye. But it wasn't. The paladin was there to lure it off. We were there to kill it. The paladin serves Toil. We are on a mission for Quackeen. It could've been worse, but the gods didn't allow it.The gods act through the Empire and its citizens, their influence is only as strong as we are, so if we want to make the Empire safer, we need to get better and help improve the Empire where we can.

4.I. It's the mystery option, duh.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

Return the sword, if she doesn't want to go for the honey of the promise of a new sword for her, make it an ultimatum, we'll take it back with the paladin's help and fire her because we don't want anyone stealing from a loving paladin you greedy selfish duck

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Swedish Thaumocracy posted:

Burial customs were described in detail in an earlier post that can be found here for your convenience.
In short, no. There is no law or taboo against it. Burning is seen as an acceptable compromise in emergencies, though the families of the deceased might still take offence.

Ah, thanks a lot, I had completely forgotten you had already gone into that!
So yeah, burning it is, maybe collect whatever looks like heirlooms etc and send them back to the families?

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

sheep-dodger posted:

Ah, thanks a lot, I had completely forgotten you had already gone into that!
So yeah, burning it is, maybe collect whatever looks like heirlooms etc and send them back to the families?

Or like, do something useful and ask the church to send like a doctor or two?

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Hooray, a happy ending! That guy can work for Toil even more now!

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
ask the paladin on her behalf if she can keep it

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

1. B "Abigail, that sword is the rightful property of Toil, and while it may have served us well on loan, it's time to give it back to its rightful owner. We aren't in the business of taking things from Gods and Paladins. We can talk about getting you a replacement."

2. F. Everyone's stressed, and the survivors need help sooner rather than later. Burn the dead, return the living to Braav.

3. What Waci said

4. I Something weird's going on, and we should know about it!

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

B - The sword is his property, you gotta give it back. When the money comes through we'll buy you a new one, promise.
G - Send a runner, do triage as best we can.
Write In: I dunno what it was, but it's gone now, we did the only thing we could.
I - Find the wrongness and then if it's nothing, L deal with survivors.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Nettle Soup posted:

B - The sword is his property, you gotta give it back. When the money comes through we'll buy you a new one, promise.
Write In: I dunno what it was, but it's gone now, we did the only thing we could.

+1

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Nettle Soup posted:

This

except:

Write In: It was an abomination, a big angry snake. And we killed it. However fearsome and wrong you think it was, remember that we were better. We've bested Owlbears and Clownvines and Kobolds and Phasebeasts and A Big Angry Snake. This world has scary and very dangerous things in it, and we're scarier and more dangerous.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
The After-Math

Site of the Wreck
Late afternoon
Month 3, Week 2, Day Seven

"Walk with me." you say, in part to give you time to consider your words and in part to sate your curiosity regarding your impression of wrongness. Together you begin the short trek over to Abigail, the wreck and whatever lays beyond.

"It could have been worse, aye. But it wasn't. The paladin was there to lure it off. We were there to kill it. The paladin serves Toil. We are on a mission for Quackeen. It could've been worse, but the gods didn't allow it.
The gods act through the Empire and its citizens, their influence is only as strong as we are, so if we want to make the Empire safer, we need to get better and help improve the Empire where we can."

"yeah. Right boss. I get it, guess I was just... guess it just got to me is all. Forgetaboutit. Just glad it wasn't any worse."

---

With Konnie guiding the way you find Abigail practicing two handed swings against imaginary kobolds somewhere behind the trees, out of sight from the wreck.
She is not pleased when you tell her to return the sword but eases up a bit when you acknowledge her performance and promise to replace it. Reluctantly but without further incident she hands it over.
Further, you bid her return to Braav, to tell the Church what has happened and hopefully to return with aid.

When you get back to the ship Konnie excuses himself, saying he will wait for you outside. It does not take you long to realize why. Even without cupcakes you can tell something is wrong. It is a place of death.
Khami, Kvelar and Tommy busy themselves ferrying corpses outside. You find Johakim further in, investigating a pile of bodies.

"Blunt trauma, stabbing wounds, strangulation. All signs point to a boat borne bar brawl gone horribly wrong. Mostly human males, though a few dwarves and a great deal of ducks (both male and female) seem to have succumbed as well.
Living casualties are much higher among those physically weaker. Children, elderly, the infirm. Though there are few in either former category aboard this half sunken pleasure steamboat. Well, more infirm now."

You are no detective, but the full story of what happened here is no great mystery either. From what the two of you can piece together from the harried stories of those that yet live and the evidence presented by the damage to the boat, it went something like this:
At some point two days hence, the Boa approached the ship from downriver as the ship was heading from Karg to Rim (the Capitol, not the wall or the person but technically the Empire) and beyond. The crew were driven mad by rage and only by the timely intervention of the Paladin did things not escalate further. Until they did. When he realized they where under attack and from what, the Paladin led the snake away with righteous fury. Hoping to give the passengers time to escape. Your arrival and the emotions you brought to bear was enough to lure it back, but as you slew it swiftly and most present where already passed out from exhaustion and starvation, no further injuries occurred.

You find the Paladin among the wounded, going up to each in turn, uttering question as well as blessings and last rite to those that need it.
Before you even have time to summon a polite cough, he turns to you, face a jumbled mass of scars, wearing broken platemail and bandaged six times over, as if he was a rich tombs iron mummy. A polite bow.

"Ah, Brother Ironscript.*
A pleasure. I'm afraid I don't have much time for chitchat. Not much time for anything. A year at most, or so He tells me." The paladin allows himself a moment to stare off into space.
"Still, that was more than I had an hour ago, and I always did thrive under a deadline." a smile. "I just never thought it would be this literal." a chuckle.

You return his sword, together with an apology and explanation.

"Truly? That one so young would slay the beast? You and your Your company does the empire great service. Mr. Ironscript. My sword is a tool, much as myself. I would not see it go to waste. She shall inherit it on the day I die. So I vow before Toil."

You blink, offer a humble thank you on behalf of Abigail who did not join you.

"Think nothing of it. Now then, the monster is dealt with and the survivors and the dead I leave in your capable hands. But the ship, my only means of transport, is broken. May I borrow one of your horses? I have urgent business in Braav.
A man is fleeing. Important. I must detain him before he reaches Karg, or worse, makes his way to Eastmarsh."

1: Do you lend him a horse? It would slow your group down considerably.
You would regain it as soon as you came back to Braav, however.
A: Yes
B: No

---

2: You have time to ask him two questions before he leaves, should you so desire.
He is very favourably disposed to you right now, and will do his best to answer as long as he doesn't feel it is wasting his time. He has a wide range of knowledge on topics such as monster hunting, politics and religion.
What do you ask him, if anything?

C: Write-in
D: Write-in

---

Satisfied with your work thus far, you leave to explore further upriver where you last felt a 'wrongness' for lack of better descriptor.
Konnie follows you as you leave, ostensibly to provide backup but you suspect he is just eager to have good reason to get as far away as possible from the massacre. He asks you where you are going but you have no real clue yourself so you simply say you are following a hunch.
The forest and beach around the river are quiet. Here and there lay small, flightless animals such as shrews or squirrels, dead from recent senseless combat. No flies or scavengers have touched the carcasses. Aside from Konnie and the trees, you are truly alone.

A less subtle destruction stalks the path you tread to the wrongness. Great gouges have been struck out of the treeline, where the Paladin and snake did battle. You find bits and pieces of both flesh and scale as well as broken pieces of armour in a particularly devastated area of forest some half in hours hike away, but you feel you are going the wrong way so you head closer to the river for  another fifteen minutes or so until you reach where your instinct has led you.

Ice. Though the season is autumn and the river runs warm as the artery of the Empire, a great chunk of it is frozen over. The shore is a mass of cold and broken trees and even the great rocks that line it seem to have been recently knocked over.
Mad prints it the sandsnow tell tale of a great snake breakdancing on the beach. This must be where it came from, but that makes no sense. There is no cave or nest, not even a pit of discarded bones to betray its quarters of living.
It is as if it had simply appeared, together with a very localized winter. Strange indeed.
Your issue of Monsters Monthly did not say anything about ice-powers in relation to the Boa Conflictor but the area reminds you of what happened when you recently fired ##Nåzom Stegėth##, though on a much larger scale.
The area offers no further insights, so you return to your crew empty handed but full of thought.

---

The Wreck is much as you left it. A stream of activity. Those mostly unwounded survivors who are not mourning the dead or helping with recovery efforts have set up camp using bits of scattered debris and are roasting large portions of meat over the fire. A spider is watching them, and you.
Where they got the meat is immediately obvious as the Boa Conflictor has been cut open, spilling its guts to provide for the Empire.

There is much left to do however, before the setting of the sun. Abigail will probably return with Reverend Due and whomever the both of them could sway to provide aid sometime tomorrow, but until then you have plenty of time to spare.

3: Do you take any special precautions to provide for the survivors protection? Such a large band of people is sure to scare of more skittish monsters, but may just provide a juicier target for others. Still, the forest around you seems dead and barren.
Perhaps nothing will come for you, in the night?

E: Write-in.
F: They can handle themselves.
Ignore the situation and hope it sorts itself out.

4: Is there anything else you want to do before night falls?
G: Inspect ##Nåzom Stegėth##

H: Look for the spider again.
Talk to it? What do you want to say?

I: Inspect the wreck, with intent to salvage.

J: Inspect the wreck, with intent to rescue.

K: Something else? Write-in.

---

*In this context, a person of such a high station as a Paladin addressing you as an equal is a sign of great respect.

---

You may question any NPC present as per usual. Abigail is gone, and question time with the Paladin has its own special vote however.

---

[Itec Post-Battle Summary]
Everyone is unhurt.
Morale is decent, though everyone is shaken up.
You are being watched.

[ITEC Travel Gear Summary]

02 x Bottles of FOOF with 3 remaining at ITEC HQ.
01 x Flasks of highly pressurized acid with 2 remaining at ITEC HQ.
00 x Ethereal RimRose Cupcakes with 6 remaining at ITEC HQ.
01 x Pouches of Flash-Heat-Powder with a Large Bag behind at ITEC HQ.
01 x ##Nåzom Stegėth## A Masterwork Siege Arbalest [with 00 “iron javelins” remaining.]
01 x All Purpose Horse-Drawn Adventuring Wagon.
Common Riding Horses for all ITEC members including horses with which to draw your wagons.

Your rations are provided for you by the Church of Quackeen for this mission.
Your supplies are provided for you by the Church of Quackeen for this mission.
Your equipment is nearly adequate, in need of minor repairs.
Your Owlbear cubs are adequately cared for.

It is the afternoon of Month 3, Week 2, Day Seven
In one week, you owe [07 wealth] in salaries and general maintenance.
You have [00 wealth] to your name.

Party thoughts:
Konnie: “That snake ain't right.”
Kvelar: “We best pull double guard duty or more, sleep in our armour and be ready for anything.”
Johakim: “I'm doing what I can but my resources are spent. Perhaps they have some more supplies in the wreck?
Abigail: Is busy riding to Braav.
Khami: “They say the more the merrier, I'm sure that counts for monsters as well as men.”
Tommy: “Big old monster like that? A tonne of meat, for sure, but there's bound to be something else. Better get to it before the hungry masses accidentally devour it.”

Swedish Thaumocracy fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Sep 1, 2016

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
1. A
2. Do you require aid? Gaging from your supernatural toughness, how are we able to channel the supernatural to aid the Empire?
3. Double the watch, sleep in armor, short shifts, and fires at the permimeter of the camp.
4. K. Inspect the frozen river for any clues. Thank the spider for gracing us with it's presence in a time of need.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Cannon_Fodder posted:

1. A
2. Do you require aid? Gaging from your supernatural toughness, how are we able to channel the supernatural to aid the Empire?
3. Double the watch, sleep in armor, short shifts, and fires at the permimeter of the camp.

J there may be more survivors in the wreck, or medical supplies.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
A

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

1..A
2. Describe the frozen area, ask him.for his thoughts.
Show him Nagom Zewhatev and explain him hoe the cupckaes work. Ask him for his thoughts.
3. Kvelar's plan
4. I, salvage

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
1a
2 Do you require aid? Gaging from your supernatural toughness, how are we able to channel the supernatural to aid the Empire?
3e
4g

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
1A We should get a good haul of Wealth from this mission, so we can afford to pay some time units for Toil's good will.

2. Remember how those silver mines were sabotaged by a supply crate from Eastmarsh that was actually kobold infested? Remember how we lost our job? This guy knows politics, ask his opinion on Eastmarsh and these happenings and what the duchy's motive would be here.

3. Plan Kvelar. We did not just win a mission just to lose it all in a night time ambush.

4G

Make a mental note to start training Abigail in swordfighting.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

Oh yes, free loot from the Knight, good going Abigail.

I guess we should start training her so she is ready for it when it comes.

And I guess that we gave him an extra year to live with our half assed attempt. Not bad for an accountant.

I have no idea what the frozen landscape might mean, and it seems kinda important. No one feels like asking the Knight about it?

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Theantero posted:

1A We should get a good haul of Wealth from this mission, so we can afford to pay some time units for Toil's good will.

2. Remember how those silver mines were sabotaged by a supply crate from Eastmarsh that was actually kobold infested? Remember how we lost our job? This guy knows politics, ask his opinion on Eastmarsh and these happenings and what the duchy's motive would be here.

3. Plan Kvelar. We did not just win a mission just to lose it all in a night time ambush.

4G

Sounds good

And we don't know if we gave him a year to live or simply he know's he'll die fighting something else in a year. I think he gets a sense of how long "tools" of Toil last from being a paladin.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Ask the Paladin what he experienced from his perspective as we fixed him up.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

Theantero posted:

4G

This seems good!

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

There Bias Two posted:

Ask the Paladin what he experienced from his perspective as we fixed him up.

Hey man, what did it feel like when I was inside you? I mean how did it feel when I was loving about in your soul?

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Time For Two

Site of the Wreck
Late afternoon
Month 3, Week 2, Day Seven

You immediately comply to the Paladins request for emergency equestrian endowment, escorting the Paladin from the wreck to the place your oft frightened mounts have gathered for grazing.
In the few moments between here and there, you take the opportunity to pry his mind for information on some topics you believe him to be uniquely capable of elaborating on.

quote:

Gaging from your supernatural toughness, how are we able to channel the supernatural to aid the Empire?

Supernatural? <He scoffs.> There is nothing “supernatural” about my abilities, they are Divine in origin.
They are a tool, granted to me by Toil himself for years of dedicated service in His name and through Him in service of the Empire. They enable me to serve all the better against threats internal and external both.

If you are ever granted such a blessing, know then that already the right path you tread.
As for how to use them, you are a monster hunter are you not? The Forest creeps ever closer, and Xhaos dwell within. Seek them out, with prejudice, lest more tragedies such as these of the past few days occur.

<Xhaos? You ask him for clarification.> "Aberrations. Abomination. The Antithesis of Civilization. Things what the Gods shun and the Empire dreads. Things that should not be.
Fear The Forest, for it abhors death and laughs in the face of logic. There is your "super natural" - In the perversion of order."

---

quote:

This guy knows politics, ask his opinion on Eastmarsh and these happenings and what the duchy's motive would be here.

"The sabotage of Grüw does not surprise me. The nobles do enjoy their bitter rivalries. What does raise concern however is the method; a Kobold infestation is a dire threat to the Region as a whole.
That it was stopped before it spread further is a blessing, the Empire can ill afford such loss of production at this time."

<What do you mean? You interject. Surley things cannot be that bad, that the loss of a single mine would threaten our glorious Empire?>

"Let not Imperial propaganda cloud your wisdom. With every day the Duchess gathers more allies, and with every ally found the foundation of our Empire rumbles. She longs for power, as does all of her ilk."
<Nobles or vampires? You interject. Is there a difference? He laughs.> "No, the fall of Grüw would be but a stepping stone for her ambition, but it is that same drive that blinds her to the more immediate threat presented by The Forest.
A threat she would do nothing to combat and in her folly; everything to expedite. At any rate, of Eastmarsh itself?

As if the endless rotten bogs of her demens are not enough to turn a good imperial citizen away on the spot, what little civilization exists between the tepid fields of fermenting Bad Duck Wice™ is filled to the brim with scoundrels of the worst sort, not even fit to form a guild as is good and proper for their illicit activities. Were it not for the rich yield of slime and the aforementioned Wice™ our noble Empire would have set the entire Region to the torch already."

"Alas this was not to be, and that Parasite has sunk her claws so deeply that none may say where the strings of her puppeteering end and the long spindly tendrils of the swamp begin.
<He spits on the ground, as if his contempt wasn't obvious enough.> Suffice it to say my Order does not wish the Fugitive I am after to reach such a wasteland. Nor for the Duchess to gain more traction."

---

By this point in the conversation, the horses have been reached. The Paladin bows once and without further word mounts one of them, cutting away the rope that binds it to a tree with one swift motion of his perfect sword and promptly speeds of into the burgeoning night. Braav isn't that far away, especially not when riding alone and with little gear, but the late autumn night is cloudy and as the recent months have taught you, the countryside is filled with danger. Looking down you realize he has been trailing drops of blood the entire way over and though he seemed fine when you talked to him you cant help but be reminded by the words he said to you earlier. A year. To have ones life measured so precisely, with every moment an ever increasing percentage of ones remaining existence. Wouldn't it drive you mad? Yet he seemed to take it in his stride.

A single question reverberates through your mind. Was this your doing? Did you save him from certain death, or condemn him to one even certainer? But whatever your anxious thoughts consider, you cannot question his dedication. One such as he can accomplish great deeds in what time he has left, and may leave the world content that he truly did his all.

You shudder and head over to the familiar iron of ##Nåzom Stegėth##, hoping to gain some more insight into its secrets before night falls completely.

---

The first thing you notice is that the Iron Javelins are all gone. But that was to be expected, as you had four to begin with and launched a total of four missiles into the snake, even if they so happened to be invisible (or astral?).
The primary gauge – you presume it to be the ammo counter - helpfully reads [00/02]. A slot in the side of the machine has opened up revealing the ammunition compartment, empty for now. Since all your proper bolts were lost in the fight, you pick up thick branch from the ground and place it into the appropriate slot, closing the lid and returning to see if anything changed with the display. Sure enough it now reads [01/02]. You manage to get the compartment open again and remove the branch. [00/02].
Well, that confirms it. The first number refers to physical ammunition present in the machine. But what of the second number?

Maybe it has something to do with the ice beneath your feet? Ice, that reminds you so much of what happened in that other realm of cupcakes (delicious cupcakes) not so long ago.
##Nåzom Stegėth## is cold to the touch and everything within a few meters around it has been withered and chilled. The wrongness you felt earlier is dissipating at a slow but steady rate. You try to feel out where it is most concentrated and after a moment of stumbling locate what you think is the strongest point: the muzzle of your artifact arbalest. Inspecting it closer reveals little but flakes of frost. There is no trace of any of your fired javelins. Not a speck of iron in the firing lane, nor shrapnel littered through the carcass of the snake as you might have hoped (though have not had time to go through the corpse with a fine-toothed magnetic comb, as it were). Thus, you deduce them to be gone and spent.

You consider test-firing your branch, though hesitate for a moment as you feel the second number might be important and have yet to figure out a way to make it go up instead of down.

1: Do you wish to test-fire ##Nåzom Stegėth##?
A: yes
B: no

---

Some time later you return to camp. Rescue efforts are stalling as the last of the daylight slips away but there is a sizeable contingent of survivors now. Kvelar looks worried and is attempting to coral what few Fighting Men and Women remain amongst their number to help with the protection of those that remain that cannot. The rest of your crew, sans Abigail whom you sent away to Braav, mingle with the survivors or dart back and forth into the wreck whilst they are still able. Without their efforts, your efforts, many of the people aboard would be dead.

2: Night looms ever closer and you have little time before the reality of your situation dictates that you must either sleep or take guard. How do you spend these last few moments?

C: Inspect the wreck, with intent to salvage.

D: Inspect the wreck, with intent to rescue.

E: Confer with Kvelar and the others to optimize your defense of the survivors.

F: Sit down the survivors around the camp fire and share in their stories and hardship. To calm spirits and raise morale.

G: Sit down with the survivors and network, spreading the tale of ITEC and its victories.

H: Actually sleep sounds pretty nice. Go to sleep.

I: Plan Tommy.
Spend some time going through the remains of the monster, looking for aught of use.
Your issue of Monsters Monthly should be of help here, now where did you put it??

J: Something else?
Write in.

---

You may question any NPC present as per usual. Abigail is unavailable at this juncture, as is Skvababt whom is busying herself with leatherworking back in Braav.

---

[Itec Post-Battle Summary]
Everyone is unhurt.
Morale is decent, though everyone is shaken up.

[ITEC Travel Gear Summary]

02 x Bottles of FOOF with 3 remaining at ITEC HQ.
01 x Flasks of highly pressurized acid with 2 remaining at ITEC HQ.
00 x Ethereal RimRose Cupcakes with 6 remaining at ITEC HQ.
01 x Pouches of Flash-Heat-Powder with a Large Bag behind at ITEC HQ.
01 x ##Nåzom Stegėth## A Masterwork Siege Arbalest [with 00 “iron javelins” remaining.]
01 x All Purpose Horse-Drawn Adventuring Wagon.
Common Riding Horses for all ITEC members including horses with which to draw your wagons.

Your rations are provided for you by the Church of Quackeen for this mission.
Your supplies are provided for you by the Church of Quackeen for this mission.
Your equipment is nearly adequate, in need of minor repairs.
Your Owlbear cubs are adequately cared for.

It is the evening of Month 3, Week 2, Day Seven
In one week, you owe [07 wealth] in salaries and general maintenance.
You have [00 wealth] to your name.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
BD

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

BI

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

B
F

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
B, Yeah, not willing to test fire before we know whether or not the SOULBOLTS or whatever are rechargeable

I, We are monster hunters. Would not feel right to leave our monsters unlooted.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

BE

The body and the wreck will still be there tomorrow.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
BF, hopefully find someone who's willing to donate a bit of cash to their rescuers.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

BE on the lookout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

BF. These people have been emotionally manipulated and traumatized, and we don't want them scattering in every direction at the first sign of trouble.