Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

just buy arizona jeans, get 1 get 1 free

i had no idea mattress could be so cheap at sams club tho, thats cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

Nonsense posted:

lol no

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Nonsense posted:

This seems like a poor business model.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

as someone who worked at barnes and noble for 8 years (in receiving luckily) they deserve to crash and burn.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

just fyi Walmart owns and I'm an upper middle class white male.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Groovelord Neato posted:

as someone who worked at barnes and noble for 8 years (in receiving luckily) they deserve to crash and burn.

The person lifting boxes full of books was considered the lucky one, what a hell that must have been.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

vyst posted:

just fyi Walmart owns and I'm an upper middle class white male.

What about it owns that couldn't be accomplished better by other shopping options?

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam
Okay, Children, let's get this back under control. I'd hate to gas the entire thread because a couple of you decided to skip your meds for the last few days. You can discuss things in a civil manner, or I will start breaking heads again.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

WampaLord posted:

What about it owns that couldn't be accomplished better by other shopping options?

It's cheaper on a lot of poo poo i buy and I don't have to wait 2 days for it to arrive (prime)

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

vyst posted:

It's cheaper on a lot of poo poo i buy and I don't have to wait 2 days for it to arrive (prime)

Neighborhood Walmarts are almost neat if there wasn't a Winco nearby.

Sort of like a Safeway or Albertsons or whatever grocery store exists between Walmart supercenter and Trader Joe's.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

WampaLord posted:

Cheap mozzarella sticks? Thats the only reason I ever go to mine.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

WampaLord posted:

This seems like a poor business model.

please let me have my cheap jeans

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Cliff Racer posted:

The person lifting boxes full of books was considered the lucky one, what a hell that must have been.

never had to deal with customers, always had monday to friday and normal hours. also got pretty much every holiday off since the shipping company doesn't deliver books then.

i worked retail for almost a decade and never had to work a weekend or a close.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Nonsense posted:

please let me have my cheap jeans

No, you said "get 1 get 1 free" which implied I get 2 free jeans for no money.

I think you meant "buy 1 get 1 free." :v:

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

WampaLord posted:

No, you said "get 1 get 1 free" which implied I get 2 free jeans for no money.

I think you meant "buy 1 get 1 free." :v:

that would own

also yes

Space Cadet
Jun 1, 2000

Destruction, hence, like creation, is one of Nature's mandates.
Well this thread got really sad, I was enjoying hearing about failing companies until the last few pages. In order to right the ship I will say that in the last 2 years I have noticed that most of the jewelry retailers in my area are in the process of closing. First a chain where the owner retired and neither his family wanted to run it and he seemingly was unable to sell liquidated his stock and closed locations as orderly as possible. Then a smattering of one off shops closed due to the market being flooded by the first guy liquidating his wares for cheap, which has just recently led to yet another chain announcing that they are closing almost all of their remaining locations and liquidating. I don't pretend to understand much about the jewelry world but it seems the market for high priced retail shiny metal and stones is collapsing, as a typical person I will blame the communists and possibly the internet.

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
I'm pretty sure, outside getting something custom made like a wedding ring, most people would rather just buy their gaudy jewelry online since prices are cheaper and the selection is bigger when you don't have to maintain separate inventories in individual storefronts, so yeah it wouldn't surprise me if the internet killed jewelry stores

Edit: Actually I remember looking at lab diamond websites a while back and they had some pretty good customization tools for making your own rings, so probably even custom stuff is cheaper with more options online as long as you're not some doofus who needs to do that kind of thing in a store

Dial-a-Dog has a new favorite as of 18:51 on Aug 28, 2016

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Rough Lobster posted:

I miss talking about Sears.

Same.

Meanwhile, J.C. Penney has momentarily stopped circling the drain, apparently: http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-rise-of-jc-penney-20160826-story.html

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I think its likely that changing fashion trends are playing a role as well. Like wearing lots of jewelry was acceptable, if not required, way back when. Nowadays I think its always considered to be super trashy, no matter how much the jewels cost. There's also plastic surgery these days and many people probably think that that gives you better value for money than a fancy necklace does.

Among younger people there's also the increased usage of "non-jeweled" jewelry that you don't exactly buy at Kay. Pretty sure that that stuff costs a lot less too.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Aralan posted:

I'm pretty sure, outside getting something custom made like a wedding ring, most people would rather just buy their gaudy jewelry online since prices are cheaper and the selection is bigger when you don't have to maintain separate inventories in individual storefronts, so yeah it wouldn't surprise me if the internet killed jewelry stores

Edit: Actually I remember looking at lab diamond websites a while back and they had some pretty good customization tools for making your own rings, so probably even custom stuff is cheaper with more options online as long as you're not some doofus who needs to do that kind of thing in a store

I got my fiance a lab created diamond. They're expensive but not as expensive as a mined diamond of equal quality. They kind of own, too, with the CoA being all sciencey.

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
Yeah, I think lab diamonds are cool and I'd probably go that way for an engagement ring. I don't know the figures on how many other people would do the same, but it's probably significant enough that being able to buy lab diamond rings direct from the manufacturer doesn't help jewelry stores either

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
I got the ring from a local chain jeweler since they were the only dealer of lab diamonds here. Pretty much the same way though: flip through the catalog of settings, pick a diamond, and bam diamond ring. Stone itself retailed about 60% less than a mined diamond.

The jeweler pretty obviously caters to mormons since it's out of S Ventral Idaho and most of their stock fell into two categories: "hey it's still a diamond..." and the 10yr anniversary upgrade.

Getting the wedding bands there too since they give huge discounts if you do.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

i buy all my cock rings online, local mom and pop corner dildo store just can't compete with those price points

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Tubesock Holocaust posted:

Same.

Meanwhile, J.C. Penney has momentarily stopped circling the drain, apparently: http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-rise-of-jc-penney-20160826-story.html

50% of sales from 60 yr old women. Lol good luck rebranding a stodgy 100 yr old company into something hip. JcP.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

kazr posted:

i buy all my cock rings online, local mom and pop corner dildo store just can't compete with those price points

It is hard to get the extra small ones locally, isn't it.

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

kazr posted:

The internet probably is eviscerating dildo stores. Much easier to just buy them online, unless of course your fetish is watching the clerk handle your dildos while they ring you up

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Tubesock Holocaust posted:

Same.

hows bloomingdales doing? Texas probably has one I dunno.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I've been boggled my entire life how much money people spend on shiny metal and rocks so I won't miss jewelry stores one bit.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

LethalGeek posted:

I've been boggled my entire life how much money people spend on shiny metal and rocks so I won't miss jewelry stores one bit.

Believe it or not, people like to look nice. They also like to let other people know that they can spend a lot of money.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Citizen Tayne posted:

Believe it or not, people like to look nice. They also like to let other people know that they can spend a lot of money.

lol truck driver bought you an av

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I didn't realize that Macy's is in trouble.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/columnists/ct-rosenthal-macys-retail-0814-biz-20160812-column.html

Their flagship location in Herald Square in Manhattan is big, sprawling, and filled with lots of places to shop, browse, and eat. I don't like going there, but it does have things in its favor. It's a shame to see them go with the "one size fits all" approach everywhere else.

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Y-Hat posted:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/columnists/ct-rosenthal-macys-retail-0814-biz-20160812-column.html

Their flagship location in Herald Square in Manhattan is big, sprawling, and filled with lots of places to shop, browse, and eat. I don't like going there, but it does have things in its favor. It's a shame to see them go with the "one size fits all" approach everywhere else.

You can't stump the Trump

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

unpacked robinhood posted:

He's real mad about Walmart.

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Y-Hat posted:

Macy's is very specific about tailoring what they sell to the area, the Macy's near me is practically an entirely different store than the one six miles in the other direction.

About three years ago Macy's was being held up as an example of how to do retail right, so I don't know what the gently caress happened.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

unpacked robinhood posted:

That's his usual avatar actually

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Y-Hat posted:

They've been in trouble since Federated took over.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

kazr posted:

Online already killed the big box cock ring stores

https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=Iqx2uJXozww

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
how does a truck driver have so much time to post anyway

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

fits my needs posted:

how does a truck driver have so much time to post anyway

Ever watch a truck fail miserably to maintain lane? They're posting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Citizen Tayne posted:

Reading is hard but we have 5 pages of you slap fighting to know that