Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which country won WW1?
The United States
USA
America
View Results

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

:siren:This is the PC thread. If you are enough of an idiot to play Battlefield on console then go make you are own thread for it:siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEGz7p_yg_c

:siren::siren:WEAPONS MARKED "FACTORY" ARE WORTHLESS, BUY OTHER poo poo INSTEAD!:siren::siren:

:siren:Join the buttchugs.vodka mumble channel if you want to play with goons!:siren:

Battlefield that series that everyone who doesn't play it keeps comparing to Call of Duty even if you actually sat down and played the two you'll realize that they don't really have much in common aside from being FPS games. The Battlefield series are large scale multiplayer FPS games developed by DICE and published by EA. The series has three main hallmarks that work together to make it unique. The first is the large, 64 player games. Maps are big (but not too big that would be boring as gently caress walking everywhere) with large (but not too large it would lag the server to hell and back, incinerate you are CPU and not even be fun to play) player counts and combined arms (TN: "combined arms" is milsperg for there are vehicles to drive in addition to running around with your machine gun) that make a multiplayer match a grand affair of amazing scope. Second is the objective based gameplay that encourages cooperation and tack-dicks among people grouped together in squads. The third hallmark is environmental destruction. Buildings can be blown apart, craters form when you blast holes in the ground and now even a giant loving airship can crash in the middle of the map and wreck everything.

Battlefield 1 is the I-don't-care-what-number-we're-up-to entry in the series. It differs from past games in that it's set in Dubya-Dubya-Won. You take on the role of an African American Soldier in the German army/whatever the Turkish equivalent of an African American is, use tac-dicks to lead your team of African-American German soldiers to victory, and learn the importance of bludgeoning Australians to death with spade-shovels in the process. This game also lets you strap a pack of dynamite to a horse and ram it into a tank, a feature I'm told many people are looking forward to.
lol thnx DangerClose!

So what are the classes this time around? Well it's like this:

ASSault
Equipped with either a shotgun or SMG for close quarters combat. He carries anti-vehicle weapons such as AT grenades and a portable 37mm canon. Basically he's the engineer class from BF3/4/Hardline but with more focus on blowing poo poo up.

Support
He is armed with a high-capacity light machine gun. In the alpha the LMGs all did less damage up close than the SMGs so don't worry BF1 is a totally realistic game where getting shot with a .30-06 round is less deadly than a 9mm handgun bullet. His gadgets are what they were in BF4, ammo supplies and weapons for indirect combat like mortars and mines.

Medic
Got himself a self-loading rifle that is good for medium/long ranges but far from useless up close. As the name implies he can equip bags of medical supplies to heal friendlies and a syringe full of what is probably heroin to revive them, which of course can be injected into an enemy to make them OD. If this sounds like the Assault class from previous BF games you are absolutely right (poo poo he even gets a grenade launcher), why they decided to gently caress with the names is beyond me!

Scout
His gadgets are designed to reveal enemy locations and provide intel for his allies and poo poo. His options were limited in the alpha but they'll probably be much better for the final release.

Tanker/Pilot
Is that a fifth class? The gently caress is this nonsense? When you spawn in a tank or plane you get a special class that is specially suited for that vehicle. Both of them are equipped standard with a repair hammer that they can use inside the vehicle. And if his vehicle is destroyed he can still roll on niggaz with his swaggin' carbine.

Elite Classes
Tank Hunter, Flame Trooper and Sentry. Respectively armed with the T-Gewehr, Flammenwerfer and MG08/15 medium machine gun; wepon far too stronk for a normal soldier to be allowed to spawn with. These three classes will function like more specialized battlefield pickups that you can find on the map.

Links and poo poo:
BF4 thread - http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3572743
Old BF1 thread - http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3774965
buttchugs.vodka mumble thread (join mumble to play BF1 watch anime with goons!) - http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3796734
Symthic, a site with very detailed stats about wepon, gadgets, and vehicles (just don't read their forums) - http://symthic.com/
Goon platoon: No web UI for platoons, in order to join the official goon platoon: DIE KUMTRUPPEN :cumpolice: you'll need to go into the in-game platoon page (shield icon on the left side of main menu) and do a search for KUMTRUPPEN (tag: [KUMT]). A platoon leader will hopefully process your application shortly.

New features, changes and other bullshit:

-Weapon loadouts changed: Guns now have semi-preset configurations of attachments. For instance a gun with the "trench" preset will have superior performance at close range, while one with "suppression" will have a larger magazine. There will still be attachment configuration within those presets.
-Vehicle spawning reworked: Tanks and aircraft now require you to spawn into them. Spawning in a tank or plane will also give you a special tanker/pilot class with their own gadgets and a pretty swag carbine.
-Horses and bayonets: :obama:

-Memes: End here!
-19th Century British Navy phonetic alphabet: "Attack objective Apples." "The enemy has taken objective Duff."
-Old Weapons: Lewis Guns, MP-18s, Browning Auto-5s, Revolver Carbines, Mauser Broomhandlers, Winchester 1895 lever-rifles and of course the mighty T-Gewehr (TN: "T-Gewehr" is Kraut for "Tank-Rifle")!
-New special big rear end vehicle bullshit thing that I don't give a gently caress what it's called: Zeppelins, battleships and armored trains which can be fully controlled by players and also fuckin destroyed by them!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgELwveVCB8
-African-American Germans: Or "Schwartz-Deusche" if you prefer.
-Some lovely Battlelog replacement app: Group up with your pals, browse for servers and manage your loadouts! Just like with Battlelog but now you need to launch an app to do it instead of it being conveniently in your internet browser!
-Lots of bullshit for people to get butt-mad in ingame chat over: Saying "America won WW1" is the best way to trigger any euro-trash in game. Try it out for yourself!
-DLC: :france:
-Questionable patching decisions: Thanks Danger-Close!
-A bang-bus: You can make that Turk your bitch.
-A not suck-rear end melee system: Holy gently caress!

FAQ

I've never played a Battlefield game before, would I be able to play this one and still have fun?
Yeah, just play with goons and don't worry too much about being terrible.
This game looks like it will be lots of fun. But I don't want a World War 1 game that's fun, I want it to be tedious, boring and frustrating. Should I bitch in this thread about how BF1 won't be boring?
If you want a boring and frustrating WW1 game where no one is allowed to equip self-loading firearms please buy Verdun (http://store.steampowered.com/app/242860/) and never post in this thread ever again.
What are the difficulties like?
Is this a question about the single player?
Can my PC run this game?
Handuar's old computer with a goddamn Core 2 Xtreme from 2008 could run the alpha. Not especially well mind you but it did work. Try the beta to make sure though. If you've missed the beta than Star Wars Battlefront has a free trial and will have similar system requirements. Full specs will be in this thread once DICE releases them.
Is this game good?
gently caress. Yes.
Can I post spoilers in this thread?
The Ottomans lose.
Will this game have Blackadder references?
I would be shocked if it didn't.
Why does this OP seem familiar?
I have no idea what you're talking about.
I have incredibly strong feelings about DLC/the proliferation of automatic weapons in WW1/Bill Cosby.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzpndHtdl9A
Is this game like CoD?
This game is exactly like CoD.
Would you rather drink Bleach or eat Shitpuddin'?
I actually drank Bleach once. My one friend keeps egging me on to drink more but I tell him to gently caress off.
Any special bullshit I gotta do to unlock crap?
Currently unknown, I'll keep you posted of any ARG bullshit that DICE puts in this game
Hitler was in WW1 right? Is he in this game?
No. :smith:
Who is the objective best waifu?
Well my personal waifu is Rudy Reyes from Generation Kill, who is not in this game. The best waifu in all of World War 1 would probably be Manfred von Richthofen, aka "The Red Bum-Run."
Help! My gun sucks!
Anything labeled "Factory" or "Low Weight" is going to suck. "Trech" guns have better hip-fire. "Optical" better spread. Factory/Low Weight have better recoil decrease which is a near useless stat. The game actually tells you this.
Can you make this one stupid, unneeded and unfunny change to the OP?
I will make any change to the OP you want so long as the person who asks for it can beat me in a 1v1 deathmatch in John Romero's DAIKATANA. I extend this offer to everyone in the thread. You are NOT allowed to choose a champion to fight in your place.
Hey how do I-
If you have any further questions ask in the thread. If there's a question that people keep asking over and over again I'll add it here.

*Not actually your real little sister.

DoctorStrangelove fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Apr 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
sup

Handuar
Jun 30, 2007

GET IN THE DAMN CRAZY-BUS ARTHUR!
Be careful not to tread on an Edmund.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
Battlefield 1 is every single bad aspect of modern DICE games with a flimsy pseudo-WWI steampunk aesthetic slapped on it. Pass.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

Handuar posted:

Be careful not to tread on an Edmund.

Sod off.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

hello

Handuar
Jun 30, 2007

GET IN THE DAMN CRAZY-BUS ARTHUR!

Normal procedure Leftenant is to jump 200 feet into the air and scatter yourself over a wide area.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Battlefield 1 is every single bad aspect of modern DICE games with a flimsy pseudo-WWI steampunk aesthetic slapped on it. Pass.

Nah it's just most of them and it actually has some good poo poo so maybe it's worth playing. Probably not $130 of worth playing though.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I am hype for the open beta.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
WWI? That was that civil war one, right?

xyigx
Nov 6, 2012

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Your parents had a helmet and a leash for you as a kid didn't they. And why yes that was a statement not a question.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
im the 64 slot goon server that is used for one week, and then never again.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Eonwe posted:

im the 64 slot goon server that is used for one week, and then never again.

:same: :yeah: :agreed:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
can we be the :cumpolice: again

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I love the smell of cum police in the morning. - Captain Goku, speaking about the Battle of the Argonne Forest

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

Eonwe posted:

can we be the :cumpolice: again

KUMTRUPPEN

YoungSexualNorton
Aug 8, 2004
These are good for the children's brains.
It's 15 years in and man boy i can't even wait to pay full price to play the same bad game again except this time there's been little baby changes to how it looks and they switched the names around some.

edit: i'm sorry everybody. i don't want you to feel bad about your shooting video game hobby. i just personally think it's silly and looks dumb but i said the same thing about that movie The suicide Squad but there was somebody out there who liked it and the world just keeps on turning. have fun. be yourself and have a good old time, i'm sorry about the whole thing being so dull

YoungSexualNorton fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Aug 28, 2016

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Please save SpoogeStaffel for the WW2 sequel. It'll be really funny then.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

YoungSexualNorton posted:

It's 15 years in and man boy i can't even wait to pay full price to play the same bad game again except this time there's been little baby changes to how it looks and they switched the names around some.

this but unironically

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

I will purchase, and play this game.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

I can't wait for this thread to be populated by people who we'll play with once or who simply get afraid of joining Mumble and endlessly complain that no one communicates.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I want to play this on day 1 so desperately but knowing DICE I should wait until at least the first DLC pack.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011
Abstaining from voting, Glorious Nippon not an option.

Visible Stink
Mar 31, 2010

Got a light, handsome?

I have never played a battlefield game but I am tempted to play this one and play as an Anzac and run around calling everyone cunts :australia:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
hi

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Huh, I thought I was in GBS for a second.

Here is RUSH gameplay by bad Battlefield youtuber Levelcap.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4y8trLMRaPE

Deakul fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Aug 28, 2016

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I want you guys to know that I'll be playing this on PS4

Inkel
Feb 19, 2004

College Slice

omg chael crash posted:

:getout:

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

omg chael crash posted:

Good for you man.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
Time to burn my history books. They lied to me when they said that WWI was horrible trench warfare, where millions of men were herded towards hostile mg positions.

Too bad my great-grandfather died early, so he could not tell me about the time he switched from his horse into a tank to get on a biplane chasing a Zeppelin that was on FIRE:supaburn:

Inkel
Feb 19, 2004

College Slice

Hammerstein posted:

Time to burn my history books. They lied to me when they said that WWI was horrible trench warfare, where millions of men were herded towards hostile mg positions.

Too bad my great-grandfather died early, so he could not tell me about the time he switched from his horse into a tank to get on a biplane chasing a Zeppelin that was on FIRE:supaburn:

Clearly he died from having a massive action boner

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I just want to ride around on a horse and decapitate people with a sword. Is this the game for me?

Hughmoris fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Aug 28, 2016

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

omg chael crash posted:

Hi, me too

xyigx
Nov 6, 2012

omg chael crash posted:

My second copy is always ps4 and it runs great so that is nice. I mean I am garbo on the sticks but playing with some of my old associates who only play on there is fun. I mean at least your not playing COD on a PC lol.

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
I can't wait to give ea $130 for a reskin of a game I played three times already.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011

Liquid Penguins posted:

I can't wait to give ea $130 for a reskin of a game I played three times already.

But.. But... Horses, man!

Rolling Scissors
Jul 22, 2005

Turn off the fountain dear, it's just me.
Nap Ghost

DoctorStrangelove posted:

-Some lovely Battlelog replacement app: Group up with your pals, browse for servers and manage your loadouts! Just like with Battlelog but now you need to launch an app to do it instead of it being conveniently in your internet browser!

Say whaaat?

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

Yeah so here's the deal with it. Most browsers are no longer supporting the type of plugin that Battlelog needs to work, so EA needs to get rid of it. They still want there to be a single Battlelog style interface where they can manage crap for all the Battlefield games at once but a website is no longer going to be an option. The UI for this apparently has already been implemented on the PS4 version of BF4. They claim it will have all of Battlelog's functionality, which is good but it's still less convenient than a website you can get to with just two clicks.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Hughmoris posted:

I just want to ride around on a horse and decapitate people with a sword. Is this the game for me?

Mount and Blade: Warband is the game for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

It's really weird that the horseback combat in this massive AAA game with hundreds of developers behind it seems more clumsy and clunky than it is in a years old game developed by a couple of Turks.