Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Hasn't that article been dismissed as bullshit and contradicted by other Microsoft employees?

If your own employees and partners all have to caveat answers to licensing questions then maybe you have made things far too complicated :iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Nuclearmonkee posted:

loving lol they didn't even pull out that second bit of the question. At least it gives an honest answer!

They should have replied with just yes. I mean they kinda did that anyway.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Thanks Ants posted:

Hasn't that article been dismissed as bullshit and contradicted by other Microsoft employees?
If they have, I haven't seen it.

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

A joint venture of Matsumura Fishworks and Tamaribuchi Heavy Manufacturing Concern

This seems like a good time to ask about my situation. I've been working in IT for about 5 years now. Started on help desk, now I'm doing things like server and e-mail migration/deployment.

When I decided I wanted to have a career in IT the thought process I went through was that it would be cool to do scripting and automation. The broad idea of being a SysAdmin. When I tell people this they always reply that what I want to do is DevOps.

Problem is, I don't really know what that means. Sure, I get the philosophy behind it. I read The Phoenix Project. How the hell does it apply to me though, and how would I shift over into it?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

anthonypants posted:

If they have, I haven't seen it.

There wasn't a blog post about it but a lot of assertions are made in that post that aren't reflected by the reality of the license agreements, and if you get an MS licensing partner to answer questions then they contradict the blog post. Unfortunately it still comes up when people look for information about CALs, and some resellers will get lazy and just reference it because it means they sell more product.

None of the MS licensing documentation makes any reference to devices grabbing DHCP leases, they all talk in terms of users using devices. And users are employees or contractors, not a visiting salesman wanting to jump onto your guest Wi-Fi. The use cases for device CALs are so limited and the majority of organisations aren't going to be using that licensing model, so it avoids a lot of those hassles anyway.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Aug 28, 2016

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

We moved a client from Skype to Skype for Business and it has been an absolute nightmare. Connecting from Skype for Business to external consumer Skype users just straight up doesn't work 75% of the time. God damnit Microsoft

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
We use device CALs for our point of sales systems since they're used by many users, most of whom don't have domain accounts.

That's about the only scenario I can think of.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

snackcakes posted:

This seems like a good time to ask about my situation. I've been working in IT for about 5 years now. Started on help desk, now I'm doing things like server and e-mail migration/deployment.

When I decided I wanted to have a career in IT the thought process I went through was that it would be cool to do scripting and automation. The broad idea of being a SysAdmin. When I tell people this they always reply that what I want to do is DevOps.

Problem is, I don't really know what that means. Sure, I get the philosophy behind it. I read The Phoenix Project. How the hell does it apply to me though, and how would I shift over into it?

No one here knows what devops is either.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
fartt

Chickenwalker fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Sep 23, 2018

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Chickenwalker posted:

Thanks for this. Second part of my question is: is WDS garbage? I've been using some open-source thing some guy threw together for my imaging server for a while now and it's great, but it's only great as long as you never need to update the images.

I'd like to be able to modify images and inject drivers without having to deploy the image and modify it, then reupload. I think WDS is capable of this but it sounds like a huge pain in the dick to get set up and get the PXE images and client images configured for, whereas the Linux thing I use currently just kinda works right out of the box but you can't modify the images once they're uploaded. Any suggestions?
WDS is pretty great and really easy to set up (took me about 15 minutes and I'm not a Windows admin by any stretch), but because the deployment model is what you mentioned -- dynamic customizations to the installer -- it can be a bit slower than disk-level imaging systems. If you're not churning out systems 24x7 and just need something hands-off that you can hook a computer up to and then send it out, which is probably the majority of use cases, you'll enjoy working with it.

Note that you need a Windows Server CAL for WDS whether you intend to hook the computer up to a domain or not. (This is mostly relevant for OEM use cases, point-of-sale systems, etc.).

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

The Fool posted:

No one here knows what devops is either.

Just another in the long line of nonsense buzzwords. Bin it with the other cyber cloud Web 3.0 disruptive game changers.

My only observed example of "devops" consisted of giving developers increased control/admin access over their infra which always works out as well as you expect.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Nuclearmonkee posted:

My only observed example of "devops" consisted of giving developers increased control/admin access over their infra which always works out as well as you expect.
It pissed off the company BOFH but they were able to deliver features into the hands of users and keep the company afloat?

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Chickenwalker posted:

Thanks for this. Second part of my question is: is WDS garbage? I've been using some open-source thing some guy threw together for my imaging server for a while now and it's great, but it's only great as long as you never need to update the images.

I'd like to be able to modify images and inject drivers without having to deploy the image and modify it, then reupload. I think WDS is capable of this but it sounds like a huge pain in the dick to get set up and get the PXE images and client images configured for, whereas the Linux thing I use currently just kinda works right out of the box but you can't modify the images once they're uploaded. Any suggestions?
WDS is great. It's extemely easy for my helpdesk to image PCs with it, and very easy for the more senior desktop support to add new drivers. We have ~65 branches and have end users rebuild PCs from time to time as well.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Vulture Culture posted:

It pissed off the company BOFH but they were able to deliver features into the hands of users and keep the company afloat?

They hosed with prod over a series of months until they eventually brought down a a system which interfaced between customer orders and manufacturing in the middle of the day, which screwed up the production schedule for a few weeks and cost a lot of money.

After that sanity was restored and a proper dev to production life cycle was established with superfluous things like "rollback plans" "code review" and "notification of stakeholders".

The whole thing started because our dba was an rear end in a top hat and was generally hell to work with. He looooved telling people no. We ended up putting in octopus deploy which largely removed him from everything but code review in the end.

It was a lovely place to work and I'm glad I'm not there anymore.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Sounds like your company didn't actually do devops, they just did a really lovely thing instead and called it devops?

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

NippleFloss posted:

Sounds like your company didn't actually do devops, they just did a really lovely thing instead and called it devops?

In my limited bubble the only devops outcomes I've seen or heard of first hand could be described exactly like that.

The twisted retarded version of agile software development and devops.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Gonna start a company, give every single person, from the architects to the housekeepers domain admin rights. It's DevOps.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Why limit the domain admin rights to employees? You don't want to limit the potential of your customers either.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Nuclearmonkee posted:

In my limited bubble the only devops outcomes I've seen or heard of first hand could be described exactly like that.

The twisted retarded version of agile software development and devops.

Well yea, but that's because those shops are basically a cargo cult of good IT practices. They try to ape the form without an understanding of the means or methods. That doesn't mean devops is a meaningless buzzword, just that a lot of the people talking about it don't actually know what they're talking about.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

NippleFloss posted:

That doesn't mean devops is a meaningless buzzword, just that a lot of the people talking about it don't actually know what they're talking about.

You just defined what a buzzword is.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Nuclearmonkee posted:

You just defined what a buzzword is.

A buzzword is not meaningless or nonsense by necessity. Devops is a buzzword because it is popular jargon, but it also means something.

YOLOsubmarine fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Aug 29, 2016

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

snackcakes posted:

I think maybe what they're trying to tell you is that you want to get into operations, as opposed to traditional corporate IT. Like most things in tech, I don't think there's an agreed upon, standard definition of ops. But I'd basically call it IT where your "customers" are the company's internal development teams, and the product you're supporting is the software they write in-house. So you're not generally resetting passwords and operating the Exchange server. You're helping them build and operate the server infrastructure where the apps the company writes and sells run.

This type of environment is, to me, vastly more interesting and rewarding than corporate IT. Your job title may well still be sysadmin or whatever. But the type of challenges and techniques you'll encounter are vastly different.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Docjowles posted:

This type of environment is, to me, vastly more interesting and rewarding than corporate IT. Your job title may well still be sysadmin or whatever. But the type of challenges and techniques you'll encounter are vastly different.
I think that probably has to do with scale. In your typical enterprise IT, you are probably expected to do a limited number of things. That may also be true in a typical ops role. In a devops role, you probably have much greater authority to do 'things'. I would say a smaller enterprise is probably going to be just as exciting and fun because you also have a lot or latitude there.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Just another in the long line of nonsense buzzwords. Bin it with the other cyber cloud Web 3.0 disruptive game changers.

This actually seems to be a pretty common stumbling block within many IT organizations- different people having different working definitions for shared terms. It is especially true when IT orgs are restructuring and bringing in talent from varied backgrounds/companies. It's a good practice to take steps to periodically ensure that everyone is on the same page in this regard, from a high level within different areas throughout the org.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

adorai posted:

I think that probably has to do with scale. In your typical enterprise IT, you are probably expected to do a limited number of things. That may also be true in a typical ops role. In a devops role, you probably have much greater authority to do 'things'. I would say a smaller enterprise is probably going to be just as exciting and fun because you also have a lot or latitude there.
Most jobs with the word "DevOps" in the title are basically glorified Jenkins babysitters.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Vulture Culture posted:

Most jobs with the word "DevOps" in the title are basically glorified Jenkins babysitters.
so that's a +1 to devops being a dumbass buzzword?

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
I've interviewed for 2 DevOps roles. One was for a mid sized energy company that had an actual, real life, hella fast agile tempo in a .net environment that required DevOps to sort through tons of SCOM (iirc) reports to hunt down errors from the latest sprint.

The other was for a boutique software company that describes their devs as artisans and the interview was extremely awkward and then they asked me to automate the provisioning of a three-tier web stack. Haven't gotten around to starting on doing that yet, but it seemed extremely goddamn legit and the people who interviewed me seemed really smart.

I had a job on an application development team that wasn't referred to at all as DevOps. Lots of meetings and coordinating with the IT department on this that and the other thing, did things like worked to get app-only calls through Azure AD/O365 SharePoint to work for a dev of ours. Troubleshot IIS issues where applicable, most everything was heavily siloed though. Made me think maybe I could get into DevOps and enjoy it. Then I had that interview at the software company that asked me to code stuff and was like, Christ I am nowhere near this level cause I don't even know where to start doing what they asked me to do.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

adorai posted:

so that's a +1 to devops being a dumbass buzzword?
People have hosed up the entire connotation of DevOps so badly that I'm frankly all in favor of going back to "Agile operations" like it's 2007

Fudge posted:

company that describes their devs as artisans and the interview was extremely awkward
in no way are these two things related

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Vulture Culture posted:

People have hosed up the entire connotation of DevOps so badly that I'm frankly all in favor of going back to "Agile operations" like it's 2007

No matter what words you pick eventually it will become popular enough that CIOs and CTOs will
begin intoning it like a magical incantation and every job posting will include it in the title.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016

Vulture Culture posted:

in no way are these two things related

Calling it an interview is probably a stretch too. They were like 'we just wanted to get to know you! Here's our kata.' I was kinda like what the hell your recruiter had my resume I didn't list anything even approximating what you're asking me to do here.

I'm gonna do it tho cause I have a deep existentsial dread about being a Windows/network administrator guy. Someday the cloud is going to take all the jobs. Luckily I'll have pivoted into being a lumbersexual software craftsman.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Fudge posted:

Here's our kata.'

I'm almost too afraid to ask, but what is a kata in this context?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Welcome to my dojo

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016

Che Delilas posted:

Automating deployment of a three tier web application stack OR code a CI tool. I don't know if they cribbed the term from lean or karate.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Che Delilas posted:

People who are way too into the Lean process pretend that using common Japanese words will help them be more like Toyota. (It just makes everyone look at them like they eat lead paint.)

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

This is amazing.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

NippleFloss posted:

No matter what words you pick eventually it will become popular enough that CIOs and CTOs will
begin intoning it like a magical incantation and every job posting will include it in the title.
The trick is to make it sound complicated enough that they ignore it forever and leave it to the practitioners

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Fudge posted:

Calling it an interview is probably a stretch too. They were like 'we just wanted to get to know you! Here's our kata.' I was kinda like what the hell your recruiter had my resume I didn't list anything even approximating what you're asking me to do here.

I'm gonna do it tho cause I have a deep existentsial dread about being a Windows/network administrator guy. Someday the cloud is going to take all the jobs. Luckily I'll have pivoted into being a lumbersexual software craftsman.

Yeah if you are in infrastructure you better be learning how to virtualize and automate all the things, unless you are OK with being the poo poo on IT janitor at a smallish place since I don't think those jobs will be going out of style anytime soon.

Everyone needs to have a little lumbersexual software craftsman in them.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Stumbled upon this today :allears: any time travelers here?

quote:

Requirements:

4 years experience with Windows 2016 Nano Server technologies

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
When it comes to MS CALs I wish they'd just use something simple, like how tall a stack of $100s would take care of everything. "Yes, Mr. Trauma, your environment requires a 4.5 inch stack annually."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Dick Trauma posted:

When it comes to MS CALs I wish they'd just use something simple, like how tall a stack of $100s would take care of everything. "Yes, Mr. Trauma, your environment requires a 4.5 inch stack annually."

Our annual MSFT spend would be a stack of 100's 43 feet tall :shepspends: