Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat

Juan Nepomuceno Seguín

While I do not support the idea of keeping a hostile native nation right at our doorstep I do have to concur with President Houston that no, our current military is not enough to safely hold the Western states. We would be bleeding money and men, as much of our army is conscripted farmers who don't want to go too far beyond their farms. Massive military overhauls would be needed before I believe we could protect our western interests properly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

David G. Burnet

Mr. President, I feel you are in over your head here. We cannot expect to acknowledge the savages on our border and allow them to continue raiding and pillaging like they have done, and then turn around and collect taxes from those Texians on our border attempting to make a living through farming and ranching. If you expect taxes you must provide a service to those Texians struggling to survive on their lands.

The adoption of a Gold Standard should be secondary to securing our own lands on the frontier. Allow all of the funds collected by taxes to be funnelled into the operarting budget of the Rangers, and stop spending our money on the worthless ships like the Brutus, which you purchased just months ago to form this fledgling navy, and which funds the Allen brothers used to establish this pitiful swamp now called "Houston" we are currently debating in.

I feel that money would have been better spent on gear, and training for additional Rangers to patrol our frontier and protect Texians surviving on the frontier.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

President Samuel "Sam" Houston

The Indians, far from being savages, are some of our best potential allies for maintaining our independence from the Mexican tyrants. Tyrants who, let us not forget, abolished slavery in 1810, wrote their error into their constitution, and even elected a Negro as president in 1829!

The Indians understand the natural order of slavery, and they can be civilised, whereas the Mexicans believe that they have surpassed us and that we are backwards yokels who need to be brought to heel.

Our navy is the key to maintaining our independence and our way of life, and it must be maintained with all the prudence and foresight of a civilised nation which pays its debts rather than inflate them away with printed notes.

Ramba Ral
Feb 18, 2009

"The basis of the Juche Idea is that man is the master of all things and the decisive factor in everything."
- Kim Il-Sung

Col. Jack Coffee Hays

The Texas Rangers primary mission is to protect the people of Texas. Becoming bureaucrats is not one of them. Overseeing the land grants is a waste of my limited manpower honestly. The frontier is a dangerous place and my men are best served protecting the people who settle there.

I will warn you that the Indians in the western frontier will most likely align themselves with Mexico, and receive their aid. I say this because we border them and thus are a prime target for raiding.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Henry Smith!

It is true that the Gold Standard is the internationally accepted foundation upon which to build currency. Unfortunately, it is also true that the states on said standard have the gold reserves to issue a meaningful amount of currency - we do not. If we were to wait until we had acquired the requisite amount of gold reserves, we'd be doddering old men long out of office. Fiat currency, properly controlled to prevent excess inflation, will give our economy the kickstart it needs.

I push the notion of fiat currency as it ties closely into another proposal I've been mulling over: the Galveston Improvement Act. In order to promote Galveston as the natural choice for traders in the region, I propose a two-pronged approach. First, we cut taxes and tarrifs on foreign trade and investment. By making Galveston an attractive place for business foreign and domestic, we sow the seeds of economic prosperity. Second, we direct some measure of government funding to improving infrastructure, both in the port itself and the logistical links feeding the country. The more efficient it is to move goods and people through Texas, the more will flow into us. Into this could be included any proposals regarding the strengthening of our Navy, to best protect the nascent sea trade.

Please note that I am not against some form of benchmark in setting the value of our currency - I just strongly urge it be a standard we can meet.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Mr Smith's arguments are very persuasive, we shouldn't adopt the gold standard yet.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Henry Smith!

To the President

Thank you for your willingness to consider alternate points of view, Mr. President. The economic benefits will surely become self-evident before long.

I would also like to forward my plans for the formation of the Texas Business Roundtable. I am a firm believer that Government has the responsibility of creating a fertile environment for economic growth, but ultimately that Business Knows Business Best. The Roundtable will create a forum for discussion that will allow Business - those private citizens forming the economic backbone of our nation - to effectively communicate their plans and concerns to Government, enabling efficient and foresightful decisions for all involved.

To the Vice President
I must admit, your description of Texan flags on the shores of California are intriguing indeed, if only for the economic benefits that would come from bordering two oceans. Perhaps one day...

vicious citrus
Dec 10, 2014

Life is paradoxically coincidental to the ironical tyranny applicable to the unparalleled definition of reverse entropy.

Rev. John Timon

Mr. President, it is in the Catholic Church's best interest to keep the peace and spread the love of God throughout this beautiful land. We feel that the so called savages Mr. Burnet fears are people like ourselves. His fears are not unfounded, however, as we have treated the Indians with little or no regard for their well being. It can only be assumed that their hostility is a direct result of our negligence toward them. I would like to propose a method for these Indians to become citizens of our great Republic. If we offer them land and protection, I am sure the residents living near the border will be able to live in peace.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!

Samuel Seward

I wholeheartedly support the economic agenda of the esteemed Treasury Secretary Henry Smith. It is not of consequence who helps builds factories here in Texas, just that it gets done. Tarrifs slow that down and weaken our long term ability to stay independent by sapping economic growth. Spending public money on infrastructure would also rapidly speed up the rate with which a manufacturing economic base could grow.

That said, how does Mr. Smith propose to pay for the infrastructure improvements in the face of growing military threats?

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Paper With Lines posted:

Samuel Seward

I wholeheartedly support the economic agenda of the esteemed Treasury Secretary Henry Smith. It is not of consequence who helps builds factories here in Texas, just that it gets done. Tarrifs slow that down and weaken our long term ability to stay independent by sapping economic growth. Spending public money on infrastructure would also rapidly speed up the rate with which a manufacturing economic base could grow.

That said, how does Mr. Smith propose to pay for the infrastructure improvements in the face of growing military threats?

Henry Smith!

In the short run, by printing money.

An unsustainable model, I admit, but I contend that it doesn't need to be sustainable in the long run. I have every confidence that these improvements, which can certainly be targeted and detailed to make the most efficient use of our limited budget, will in turn drive such economic growth to give us a more sustainable tax and population base. This addresses the military threat on two fronts: on one hand, increased immigration means more bodies to fill Texan uniforms. On the other, more trade and development means more resources to train and equip our new recruits. Economic growth will in turn strengthen the sword and shield of the state, enabling the construction of a modern military.

A RICH WHITE MAN
Jul 30, 2010

See them other chickenheads? They don't never leave the coop.
can't wait to be disappointed when you abandon us friend

i'll be Alcée Louis la Branche

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

Thus equipped by fortune, physique, and character, he was naturally indomitable, and subordinate to no one in the world.
Can I play as José María Jesús Carbajal?

Stalingrad
Feb 5, 2011

Can I be, The Bowl?

He has a sweet hat.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

David G. Burnet

A printed money would certainly help the short term, however I should hope that we would find a source of funding in the long term. Should we perhaps enforce an entry purse required to claim land on the frontier? That would keep out there riff raff, and ensure that land would be settled by those who can sustain themselves.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Mustache Ride posted:

David G. Burnet

A printed money would certainly help the short term, however I should hope that we would find a source of funding in the long term. Should we perhaps enforce an entry purse required to claim land on the frontier? That would keep out there riff raff, and ensure that land would be settled by those who can sustain themselves.

Henry Smith!

Entirely agreed - in the future, I hope to see our government supported through a mixture of taxes and tariffs, made sustainable by the strong economic infrastructure we'll have fostered. The key stage we are at now is the construction of that infrastructure - a short term expenditure for a long term gain. We do have some catch-up to play, Gentlemen, but it is a surmountable gap.

As for charging a fee for land permits - I heartily agree that we should be encouraging the right element, but I fear that making the test an economic one would keep out many suitable immigrants when we are in dire need of raw population. At least in the short run, I believe we should be encouraging immigration. I encourage my colleagues to share their ideas on how we may do so.

Stalingrad
Feb 5, 2011

The Bowl

Mr President, my old and trusted friend, and most honoured member of our tribe.

At the time of the revolution, you proposed a treaty to grant our people 2.5 million acres in the east, after the revolution concluded, you attempted to ratify this just treaty, but the legislature refused based on our decision not to interfere in the conflict, and the claims of one man to our lands, our dear friend Mr David G. Burnet.

Will my dear friend and fellow Cherokee brother, continue to support a sizeable homeland for our people within our great nation?

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

I believe all the Indian tribes should be recognised as sovereign nations that should ultimately form a federation under the Texan government, with autonomous social orders and clearly delineated territories. The Texan government would be the ultimate authority only for matters of war and foreign policy. In this way we would cease hostilities against one another and help support our independence from Mexico.

This policy should extend to the Comanche, if they can bring themselves to accept it.

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

Thus equipped by fortune, physique, and character, he was naturally indomitable, and subordinate to no one in the world.

José María Jesús Carbajal

My friends, I have returned from my unfortunate and involuntary exile in Louisiana to formally petition for the return of my lands and properties. They were confiscated, along with those of the distinguished De León family, of which I am a member by marriage, by General Thomas Jefferson Rusk. I will not condemn General Rusk for his actions, for I have no doubt that he was acting under the mistaken impression that my family's loyalty was in question, but I believe that in hindsight it should be clear that our exile was a mistake. I have never been anything but a fierce opponent of the tyrant Santa Anna. I have considered the great Stephen Austin my friend and mentor since I met him as a child in San Antonio de Béxar - with my own father having died when I was young, Mr. Austin was a surrogate father to me, and I owe much of my success in life to him. When I entered politics, I was a staunch ally of Mr. Austin and the others who opposed the mismanagement and despotism of Governor Bradburn, and was nearly arrested by Santa Anna's allies for doing so. When armed rebellion began, I was captured by the Mexican navy while attempting to smuggle arms and munitions from New Orleans for the rebels. And this is only what I have done - my friend and brother-in-law Plácido Benavides is a true hero, and has been called the Paul Revere of Texas for his courageous ride from San Patricio to Victoria, along which he warned everyone he met of the imminent approach of General José de Urrea's approaching army.

And yet both of us, along with the entire De León family, were exiled from our homes in Victoria. Why, you may ask? Because we did not actively support the secession of Texas from Mexico. To this I will freely confess, for I will always remain loyal to the people of Mexico above any government, and I believed that the efforts of the rebellion were better aimed at toppling Santa Anna entirely and securing liberty for the whole of the Mexican people rather than only those in Texas. That does not mean, however, that I am a traitor or an enemy of Texas. I would rather Texas be free and independent than under the thumb of a tyrant like Santa Anna, and I have no desire to see Texas forcibly re-annexed to Mexico, even if I do hope that one day it can peacefully rejoin a free, federalist Mexico.

I hope that with the support of Congress and President Houston, my confiscated property can and will be quickly returned to me in full. Otherwise, I will have no choice but to embark upon a legal battle to have it returned. I hope that this is not necessary, as I would much rather spend my time continuing to oppose the tyranny of Santa Anna alongside all those who love liberty.

Viscardus fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Aug 28, 2016

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Thomas Jefferson Rusk

I vehemently disagree with the idea of placing the Texan Rangers in the purview of a separate office. When we are at war, all combat units should work as one. This cannot be achieved if we create a separate command structure just for the Texas Rangers.

As for our army, I will speak plainly: we wouldn't win a war if Mexico broke the Treaty of Velasco. If we are to stay an independent country, we have to start paying our soldiers instead of hoping they are going to do their duty free of charge. All of them have to feed themselves and their families - without a stable source of income, they can't spare enough of their time to be properly trained. We cannot afford to be cheapskates in this issue.

Where to find some money? It's simple. We have four schooners we barely can afford to maintain. If there is a conflict with Mexico, such a small fleet won't deter them and certainly won't stop them. If it's useless against our most dangerous enemy, what do we need it for? Let's sell these warships and use that money to supply our soldiers.

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

sniper4625 posted:

Henry Smith!
I push the notion of fiat currency as it ties closely into another proposal I've been mulling over: the Galveston Improvement Act. In order to promote Galveston as the natural choice for traders in the region, I propose a two-pronged approach. First, we cut taxes and tarrifs on foreign trade and investment. By making Galveston an attractive place for business foreign and domestic, we sow the seeds of economic prosperity. Second, we direct some measure of government funding to improving infrastructure, both in the port itself and the logistical links feeding the country. The more efficient it is to move goods and people through Texas, the more will flow into us. Into this could be included any proposals regarding the strengthening of our Navy, to best protect the nascent sea trade.

sniper4625 posted:

Henry Smith!

I would also like to forward my plans for the formation of the Texas Business Roundtable. I am a firm believer that Government has the responsibility of creating a fertile environment for economic growth, but ultimately that Business Knows Business Best. The Roundtable will create a forum for discussion that will allow Business - those private citizens forming the economic backbone of our nation - to effectively communicate their plans and concerns to Government, enabling efficient and foresightful decisions for all involved.

Let me express my strong support for both these proposals. As Galveston's premier hem legitimate businessman I would be honoured to be a part of the Roundtable.

Furthermore, private citizen I may be, but I must express concern at giving the Indians any kind of sovereignty over the West. How are we to attract settlement if all the prime real estate is squatted on by Indians who can claim sovereign authority over it? How is a man and his family meant to live the Texan dream if the Comanche keep raiding his homestead?

MinistryofLard fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Aug 29, 2016

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Mr Carbajal, I'm sorry but I think you will need to seek justice in the courts.

Mr Rusk, the Texas Rangers are a civilian police force, not part of the armed forces. I believe they will be well qualified for use in the frontier regions acting to enforce Texan jurisdiction over the most valuable resource there: land.

I have every intention of increasing funding to the army to improve its size and quality. However the Treasurer wishes to focus the state's finances on infrastructure spending which seems reasonable.

I would like your department, Mr Rusk, to spend its time in the coming months drawing up plans for a series of fortified garrisons to be built on the border of Commanche lands, and training regimes for the troops stationed within them.

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat

Enjoy posted:

Mr Carbajal, I'm sorry but I think you will need to seek justice in the courts.

Mr Rusk, the Texas Rangers are a civilian police force, not part of the armed forces. I believe they will be well qualified for use in the frontier regions acting to enforce Texan jurisdiction over the most valuable resource there: land.

I have every intention of increasing funding to the army to improve its size and quality. However the Treasurer wishes to focus the state's finances on infrastructure spending which seems reasonable.

I would like your department, Mr Rusk, to spend its time in the coming months drawing up plans for a series of fortified garrisons to be built on the border of Commanche lands, and training regimes for the troops stationed within them.

Juan Nepomuceno Seguín

Mr. President, I must object to the brusque manner in which Mr. Carbajal and his plight are being treated? How can any citizen of our fair Republic sleep soundly at night knowing that such a breach of justice has happened and not been resolved. The Revolution was a bloody and painful war, but we must own up to its sins and fix them. To do otherwise would go against the whole reason it was fought!

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

mcclay posted:

Juan Nepomuceno Seguín

Mr. President, I must object to the brusque manner in which Mr. Carbajal and his plight are being treated? How can any citizen of our fair Republic sleep soundly at night knowing that such a breach of justice has happened and not been resolved. The Revolution was a bloody and painful war, but we must own up to its sins and fix them. To do otherwise would go against the whole reason it was fought!

Henry Smith!
One might argue that letting the process go through the courts is justice - if we are to be a nation of laws, then let this be the first true test. If the law supports the return of his property, then surely he shall be vindicated in the end?

To my military colleagues

While I'm certainly focused on economic improvements, I certainly do not wish to entirely neglect our protectors. If those so entrusted with the protection of the public could let me know some of their top areas needing funding (even should it be so simple as "more funds for salaries",) I shall certainly see what I can do. I do not promise miracles, but we must all do what we can.

sniper4625 fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Aug 29, 2016

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat

sniper4625 posted:

Henry Smith!
One might argue that letting the process go through the courts is justice - if we are to be a nation of laws, then let this be the first true test. If the law supports the return of his property, then surely he shall be vindicated in the end?

To my military colleagues

While I'm certainly focused on economic improvements, I certainly do not wish to entirely neglect our protectors. If those so entrusted with the protection of the public could let me know some of their top areas needing funding (even should it be so simple as "more funds for salaries",) I shall certainly see what I can do. I do not promise miracles, but we must all do what we can.

Juan Nepomuceno Seguín
So long as the courts see that Mr. Carbajal's land should be returned I see no issue

As for how the military should be funded: actual salaries, investment into new equipment, expanding the army, more training and possibly established uniforms and bases would all be a step in the right direction.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Could I sign up as this gentleman?

Tonkawa
Chief: Ha-shu-ka-na (Can't kill him)

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Aug 29, 2016

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

MinistryofLard posted:

Let me express my strong support for both these proposals. As Galveston's premier hem legitimate businessman I would be honoured to be a part of the Roundtable.

Furthermore, private citizen I may be, but I must express concern at giving the Indians any kind of sovereignty over the West. How are we to attract settlement if all the prime real estate is squatted on by Indians who can claim sovereign authority over it? How is a man and his family meant to live the Texan dream if the Comanche keep raiding his homestead?

Henry Smith!

I am heartened to see the support of such prominent members of our business community - any of such stature and interest should inquire further at #TBR on synirc. Observers welcome.

Mr. Secretary of State, I'd also like a chance to talk to you briefly on how we can maximize our economic attractiveness abroad. I can be found at the above address, or via private message on forums.

sniper4625 fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Aug 29, 2016

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

José María Jesús Carbajal

Mr. Smith, I assure you that I have every confidence that the courts would come to the only just conclusion were my case to be put before them. I merely petition the government and legislature for the sake of expediency for all parties involved. I am not attempting to circumvent the justice system, as such a matter as this is entirely within Congress's power to resolve should they choose to do so, particularly after such a difficult and messy war as this one. Indeed, I would be surprised if every complaint stemming from the actions of participants in that conflict were tried fully before the courts, as this would take up an inordinate amount of time and money - the latter of which in particular this government has in short supply. Why delay in returning to me what is clearly my property, particularly when I desire nothing more than to use what wealth I have to help bring low the mortal enemy of all freedom-loving men in Mexico and Texas both?

All that said, I am fully prepared to bring my case before the courts. I merely wish to recommend a path that is better for all parties involved. The sooner the matter of my personal property is resolved, the sooner I will be able to devote my efforts to the preservation and expansion of liberty and justice, as so many of you fine men are already able to do.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

(everyone has been added!)

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

mcclay posted:

Juan Nepomuceno Seguín
As for how the military should be funded: actual salaries, investment into new equipment, expanding the army, more training and possibly established uniforms and bases would all be a step in the right direction.

Prince Carl of Solms-Braunfels

While I am not an official envoy of any German government and have no plenipotentiary power, I can say that it may be possible to open a dialogue with European arms manufacturers to purchase weapons outright. Alternatively, if it is the wish of the Texan government, I could petition the Adelsverein to conclude a treaty whereby parcels of arable, high-quality, safe land for our settlers would be exchanged for German arms.

Let us remember that with a surge of new settlers will come the economic base that my people are sure to set up. What is the phrase in English? Something about "two birds with one stone"? Surely that applies to this situation as well.

(Do we have an idea when turns are going to be due? I'm gathering a list of actions but I don't want to submit too early in case I want to add/change stuff.)

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
I will sign up for:

General George W. Hockley

As my esteemed Colleagues have made clear, I believe it is a priority that we strengthen funding for the army. Beyond that I move that we should be considering further military action. If we are lacking in resources then perhaps it would be in our best interests to claim more resources. The men are in good spirits and standing around waiting to get paid is likely to make them weaker, not stronger.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

I'm giving 5 days from this post for the next turn, so 11pm September 1st CST.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Enjoy posted:

Thomas Jefferson Rusk

Enforcing state jurisdiction on the land is what army is meant to do, though. Thst's pretty much its raison d'etre. Coordinating Texas Rangers with the armed forces is important, because they frequently will be trying to achieve the same goals. It's important they won't hinder each other.

As for the forts and training regimes, my departament will begin making plans soon. Keep in mind that without adequate funding there is not much the military can do, though.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Some new characters added if anyone wants to join, including a baptist preacher and some friends from Blood Meridian.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

Some new characters added if anyone wants to join, including a baptist preacher and some friends from Blood Meridian.

Oh dear lord.

First order of business, anyone playing The Judge to be shot repeatedly until nothing is left but bleached bones.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

Vice-President, Mirabeau B. Lamar

At this point, I think have a clear understanding of the troubles that plague our nation and a good understanding of what could be done about it. But now I must ask, what will we actually do? We are now partially through our first term of congress, and it is now time for us to be formulating concrete bills and laws, and not just ideas.

I shall remind everybody that in order for a bill to be passed into law by congress a character with some kind of connection to the government (such as myself, Houston, any cabinet member, or any person actively involved in government politics) must use an action to get congress to act upon their bill. If you do not know if you are one of these people, please ask.

So what we need to do now is get an understanding of who among us will actually be submitting bills to congress. What I don't want to see is everybody among us talking about how important it is to establish a currency, but nobody stepping forward to actually do it.

So, may I ask who among us actually intends to submit bills to congress, and what they are? I had been keeping notes on what people had been discussing, but now I've fallen a bit behind and it's now unclear to me what is mere discussion and what is a true call for action. It is my understanding that what we need most right now are measures to address the military, the land, and the economy.

Viral Warfare
Aug 4, 2010

~~a n d I a m c a l m~~

James Pinckney Henderson

Wherever lawful & rightful government is established, it establishes itself for the purpose of safeguarding and preserving the safety, security, and freedom of its citizenry. It does this in concert with a motley assortment of powers foreign and domestic, yet these powers are cruel and capricious conductors, and ever does the maestro seek to gain some advantage over his musicians. This particular government, that is, the government of the Republic of Texas, has established itself for this self-same purpose, and sure enough finds herself in that self-same predicament. There must, by necessity, be give and take. Never can a people exist for long in a state that preserves, without regard for pressures internal and external, its own interests entirely intact.

I for one support the President wholeheartedly in his proposal vis-a-vis the Indian tribes. The creation of these Indian homesteads shall, assuredly, safeguard our people and their property for generations to come, so long as the savages are not permitted to emigrate outwards from the territory we have set aside for them.

Drone posted:

While I am not an official envoy of any German government and have no plenipotentiary power, I can say that it may be possible to open a dialogue with European arms manufacturers to purchase weapons outright. Alternatively, if it is the wish of the Texan government, I could petition the Adelsverein to conclude a treaty whereby parcels of arable, high-quality, safe land for our settlers would be exchanged for German arms.

Let us remember that with a surge of new settlers will come the economic base that my people are sure to set up. What is the phrase in English? Something about "two birds with one stone"? Surely that applies to this situation as well.

The German is a hardy and industrious race, but I must inquire earnestly as to what is being offered. In all sincerity, for how long will these supply arrangements last? It seems to me that what is being offered is permanent estate for impermanent production. That must be addressed in some capacity if we are to come to agreement.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

Oh yes, I should probably speak up about that whole Indian thing that Houston's been talking about. Mr. President, are you mad?! To recognize them as sovereign nations? You wish for us to cede our own Texan land to them? And make peace with violent savages?! I can say, I would absolutely not stand for such a misguided, crazy idea as a "federation". If you try to push that through congress, I shall scream and yell as loudly and as longly as I possibly can.

I do concur that Mr. Carbajal's plea is not the matter of congress.

I also do concur that funding and improving the army and the Texas Rangers is of the utmost importance. Was somebody planning on writing a bill for that, or should I? I also do understand the need for infrastructure.

In regards to the frontier, I believe that it may be worth looking at an alternate means to keep our ranchers safe when need be. As is well-understood in the constitution of Texas, well-regulated militias are an important tool for protecting the people. And we all understand that the frontier is a place which very much needs to be protected. Now, we all know that your average Texan and especially your average frontiersman is very likely to be armed. So, why don't we encourage the formation of a frontier militia? To supplement the protection that we already have.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Takanago posted:

Oh yes, I should probably speak up about that whole Indian thing that Houston's been talking about. Mr. President, are you mad?! To recognize them as sovereign nations? You wish for us to cede our own Texan land to them? And make peace with violent savages?! I can say, I would absolutely not stand for such a misguided, crazy idea as a "federation". If you try to push that through congress, I shall scream and yell as loudly and as longly as I possibly can.

I do concur that Mr. Carbajal's plea is not the matter of congress.

I also do concur that funding and improving the army and the Texas Rangers is of the utmost importance. Was somebody planning on writing a bill for that, or should I? I also do understand the need for infrastructure.

In regards to the frontier, I believe that it may be worth looking at an alternate means to keep our ranchers safe when need be. As is well-understood in the constitution of Texas, well-regulated militias are an important tool for protecting the people. And we all understand that the frontier is a place which very much needs to be protected. Now, we all know that your average Texan and especially your average frontiersman is very likely to be armed. So, why don't we encourage the formation of a frontier militia? To supplement the protection that we already have.

Henry Smith!

I thank you, Mr. Vice President, for keeping the wheels of legislation turning. Expect some specific economic bills shortly.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Viral Warfare posted:

James Pinckney Henderson
The German is a hardy and industrious race, but I must inquire earnestly as to what is being offered. In all sincerity, for how long will these supply arrangements last? It seems to me that what is being offered is permanent estate for impermanent production. That must be addressed in some capacity if we are to come to agreement.

What you say regarding impermanence would be true, Mr. Henderson, if we were talking about a group of people coming into this country with the intention of taking your land away from you. This is, however, absolutely not the case. We are coming here from a continent that has been in the not-too-distant past beset by war, is plagued with overcrowding, and a people seeking to establish a new home in the New World. My people are coming here not to remain German -- they are coming here to become Texan, the very flesh and blood that runs through this nascent Republic. This is hardly an impermanent contribution to the wellbeing of this young nation in and of itself, and any supplies that are sent on top of this -- be it guns, be it gold, or be it cash -- should come secondary to the importance that settlers will have to the future of this Republic.

Frankly, Mr. Henderson, you need the steady stream of willing, skilled, and eager settlers far more than you need guns that may be offered alongside them.

At any rate, we will pay for the land so long as it is offered, the question that this government will need to answer is what form that payment may take -- be it gold, guns, or money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Mr Lamar, any Indian who gives up the nomadic lifestyle and becomes a hard-working Christian farmer will be a great boon to the Texan republic, as it will be one fewer potential raider harassing our rear, and one more gun lent to the defence of the sacred motherland when Mexico next invades. Wasting valuable manpower by bickering over trivialities is truly absurd when we face an existential threat.

I intend to help pass legislation to recognise the autonomous sovereignty of any tribal nation which gives up its claim to roam the land, accepts land grants to settle on, and accepts Texan jurisdiction over war and foreign policy. We can rely on our preachers to convert them.

Mr Henderson, it's true that the land given to settlers will only become more valuable as time passes, while the firearms will wear down and become obsolete, but the settlers themselves are the true prize, as they will be yet more bricks added to the wall that will keep Mexico out.

Mr Solms-Braunfels, if you can negotiate the trade of land for weapons for our militias, I'm sure the legislature will look much more more favourably on any proposal to help appoint you to a role in the government.

Mr Smith, I would appreciate it if you would introduce your economic reforms clearly delineated, so that all three of them (infrastructure spending, fiat currency and tax and tariff reductions) can be voted on according to their own merits.

• Locked thread