Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

The Strain is an American horror drama television series that premiered on FX on July 13, 2014. It was created by Guillermo del Toro and Chuck Hogan, based on their novel trilogy of the same name. Season 3 starts August 28.

Plot
A Boeing 767 arrives at John F. Kennedy International Airport and is taxiing its way across the tarmac when it suddenly stops. All window shades are closed except one, the lights are out, and communication channels have gone silent. An alert is sent to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Dr. Ephraim "Eph" Goodweather, head of the CDC's Canary Project, a rapid-response team that handles biological threats, is sent to investigate. Goodweather and Dr. Nora Martinez board the plane, finding everyone except four people dead.

In a pawnshop in Spanish Harlem, former history professor and Holocaust survivor Abraham Setrakian knows something terrible has happened and that an unnatural war is brewing. So begins a battle of mammoth proportions as the vampiric virus that has infected the passengers begins spilling out onto New York City's streets. Dr. Goodweather, who is joined by Setrakian and a small band of fighters, desperately tries to stop the contagion to save the city, and also his wife and son.

Cast

Corey Stoll as Dr. Ephraim "Eph" Goodweather, the head of the CDC Canary Team in New York City.

David Bradley as Professor Abraham Setrakian, a Holocaust survivor turned New York pawnbroker. Jim Watson portrays a young Setrakian in flashbacks.

Mía Maestro as Dr. Nora Martinez, a member of the CDC Canary Team and Eph's closest ally.

Kevin Durand as Vasiliy Fet, a once-solitary rat exterminator of Ukrainian descent, who is caught up in the fight for humanity.

Jonathan Hyde as Eldritch Palmer, an elderly billionaire invalid driven to obtain immortality. Charlie Gallant portrays a young Palmer in flashbacks.

Richard Sammel as Thomas Eichhorst, an undead vampire acolyte of the Master who has a 70-year history with Setrakian. In his former life, he was a Nazi commander at the Treblinka extermination camp in German-occupied Poland.

Jack Kesy as Gabriel Bolivar/The Master, a philandering rock star with an appetite for recreational drugs and is one of the Master's vampire acolytes before becoming the Master's current host body.

Natalie Brown as Kelly Goodweather, Eph's estranged wife.

Miguel Gomez as Augustin "Gus" Elizalde, a gang member who just got out of juvenile prison.

Ben Hyland (season 1) and Max Charles (season 2–present) as Zach Goodweather, the son of Ephraim and Kelly.

Ruta Gedmintas as Dutch Velders, an internet hacker hired by Palmer, who turns against the company when she realizes what she has done.

Rupert Penry-Jones as Mr. Quinlan, a half-vampire with a vendetta against the Master.

Joaquín Cosío as Angel Guzman Hurtado, a retired wrestler once known as "The Silver Angel".

Other images

Recaps of the episodes: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_The_Strain_episodes

Season 3 trailer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWzw-bYa3lw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Well, I'm glad I don't have to work Monday because I'm assuming this first episode back is going to be like five hours long. If past seasons are any indication.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Most of the time my opinions on this show can be called "Unkind" but stuff like this usually makes it worth watching.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
So honestly..

Is this a good show with a normal fanbase (BSG, Breaking bad, Walking dead etc) or one of those sci-fi channel shows that fans are rabid over but the normals think is garbage?

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

504 posted:

So honestly..

Is this a good show with a normal fanbase (BSG, Breaking bad, Walking dead etc) or one of those sci-fi channel shows that fans are rabid over but the normals think is garbage?

It is an astoundingly mediocre show that is redeemed by good costume design and gore effects and I am not sure if there is a noteworthy fanbase out there

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

DarklyDreaming posted:

It is an astoundingly mediocre show that is redeemed by good costume design and gore effects and I am not sure if there is a noteworthy fanbase out there

I really enjoy the show when it's on but it's not something I think about or look forward to for the rest of the year. I don't know that I've heard of anyone outside these forums talking about it, though.

Colorspray
Aug 30, 2007

Has the season number/plot progression been keeping up with the books? From what I understand this story is amazing, but season 2 meandered around a bit too much to keep my interest.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Colorspray posted:

Has the season number/plot progression been keeping up with the books? From what I understand this story is amazing, but season 2 meandered around a bit too much to keep my interest.

I think Dutch was a character made for TV and is here to stay. Also Nora killed herself with train tracks so I guess she doesn't name her child after Eph.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Tenzarin posted:

Jack Kesy as Gabriel Bolivar/The Master, a philandering rock star with an appetite for recreational drugs and is one of the Master's vampire acolytes before becoming the Master's current host body.

What the hell is this, post the real photo of the Master

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Even though this show sucks sometimes I really do love it. Excited for season 3 but it will have to be a Monday After Work DVR show for me because of how late it airs.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The only good character is Eichhorn because like the audience he can laugh his rear end of constantly at the heroes constant blunders and bad decision making.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Colorspray posted:

I don't know if their plan is still this but what I read last year is that books 2 and 3 will take two seasons each. So this is the second part of book 2 and next season will be book 3 and the time skip.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

DarklyDreaming posted:

It's sort of like the Walking Dead, it's where bad plot meets occasionally awesome set piece action scenes and practical effects.

etalian fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Aug 28, 2016

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

etalian posted:

It's sort of like the Walking Dead, it's where bad plot means occasionally awesome set piece action scenes and practical effects.

At least Strain is bad in a pretty funny way instead of feeling like a funeral procession.

Also it did have one good joke, so that's something it has over TWD:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Walking Dead had a funny scene where a zombie was stuck in a well so the group decided to try to get him out. Were they planning on drinking that water afterwards?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Wonder if FX will make the season 2 launch available for streaming?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

muscles like this? posted:

I don't know if their plan is still this but what I read last year is that books 2 and 3 will take two seasons each. So this is the second part of book 2 and next season will be book 3 and the time skip.

I hope they dont string it out for 10 seasons. 5 could round the series out and not let it run forever.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I hope they play up the tentacle rape this season.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Well on the brightside I hope no more flashbacks, which should mean a better new season?

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

It's a good show which can be silly at times, but has moments of pulpy brilliance. Eichorst is one of the best villains on tv, and Setrakian is awesome.

I'd rate it around the quality of Wayward Pines, so if you like that you'll like this. If you hate that, you'll probably hate this.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Astroman posted:

It's a good show which can be silly at times, but has moments of pulpy brilliance. Eichorst is one of the best villains on tv, and Setrakian is awesome.

I'd rate it around the quality of Wayward Pines, so if you like that you'll like this. If you hate that, you'll probably hate this.

The other amazing bit from the recent season was the funny parody video in which Eichorst opens a AirBnB.

Millions of Crows
Mar 31, 2010

take a look overhead
Zack is the worst. Easily surpassing Carl as the dumbest of kid characters on a cable series.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Wondering if that is an actual new opening or just a one off like last year.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Eph's kid has gotta go this season. Preferably doing something incredibly stupid after being warned 29 times to not do stupid poo poo.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

If they keep following the books and if they keep with their plan for next season being book 3 then (incredibly minor spoiler) next season he'll be played by a different actor at least.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
There's gonna be a worm exploding person like in Slither, haha.

funny way to spell
Nov 4, 2012
This episode reminded me of in S2 when we saw those cool SWAT vampires who then all died by the end of the episode except it was SEAL guys this time who are less cool but it still felt the same.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Can't believe I'm still watching this show but I'm in for another season.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I like how the new season looks like it's going to be Tom Clancy's The Division but with vampires instead of paramilitary groups.

Also, that "This season on..." preview looked rad as hell. A strigoi suicide bomber exploding with worms! A Blade-esque blood factory! Eichorst continuing to be the smuggest prick on TV!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

funny way to spell posted:

This episode reminded me of in S2 when we saw those cool SWAT vampires who then all died by the end of the episode except it was SEAL guys this time who are less cool but it still felt the same.

You mean those guys who died to UV exposure after first appearing in full sunlight without any discomfort?

Millions of Crows posted:

Zack is the worst. Easily surpassing Carl as the dumbest of kid characters on a cable series.

:agreed:

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
I don't know how Carl from TWD gets panned as much as he does when he was only awful for, like, season 2. He was barely written around as an entity in S1 and come S3 he gained a ton of competence. Zack on this show is just infuriatingly awful in every way, meanwhile.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I missed an entire season of this show after folding on like episode 10 of season 1? How time flies.

And it hasn't gotten any better?

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Remember those Vampire SWAT guys who showed up at the end of one episode led by Stephen McHattie? Biggest WTF moment of the whole show at that point? Killed completely arbitrarily and randomly.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Apoplexy posted:

Remember those Vampire SWAT guys who showed up at the end of one episode led by Stephen McHattie? Biggest WTF moment of the whole show at that point? Killed completely arbitrarily and randomly.

Haha, good to know. The first season of this show was loving painful, God be with you all.

Millions of Crows
Mar 31, 2010

take a look overhead
I want a show created by Del Toro about gross monstrous vampire to be good, but it's frustratingly dumb so frequently.
Maybe Zack was meant to be played by a kid with down's syndrome, than i could accept his still being such pissbaby about nosferatu mommy.

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

Zack is horrible in the books. The show honestly makes him and Eph far too empathetic.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

I missed an entire season of this show after folding on like episode 10 of season 1? How time flies.

And it hasn't gotten any better?

The answer to that depends on why you watch this show.

But in general, no, it's still burning trash.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Halfpyre talking poo poo to the masters was a bright, shining moment in this dumpster fire.

Team Fet n' Frey also remain awesome.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Count me in for another season too. Surprised to see the gang banger still has lines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The nazi vampire guy is my favorite.

• Locked thread