Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Elliot IS fsociety. I mean, it's just him, every single member of fsociety is actually him

His is also Tyrrell, of course. And the FBI girl. Also whiterose

And Price

EDIT: but Elliot is actually Querty, dreaming crazy fish dreams from inside the bowl

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Aug 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Snak posted:

Um... What? Because TV show realities are always completely accurate reflections of reality? E-Corp is wal-mart and google and monsanto all rolled into one, and also google also exists. No one is talking about "introducing retroactive technological differences". The scene were they talk about the gun having a microstamp? It establishes that microstamps are a thing. Done. Just like signs for Bitcoin and E-Coin establish that they are accepted by businesses. There's no loving big deal here. I don't know where you get the idea that I'm suggesting some "garbage tier fictional alternate scifi reality thing".

Honestly, I don't really like the tone of this thread, where people feel the need to attack other people's ideas for being stupid. Why can't we just talk about the show and its ideas in a casual and friendly environment without fighting over whose theory is the stupidest possible thing?

:shrug:

Mr. Robot has always been incredibly grounded in reality. Obviously there isn't an entity named Evil Corp that owns 70% of the world's debt, but this is established in the pilot been consistent since and not introduced a season and a half in. The FBI solving the case because of a technology that is actually common in their world with no mention of this beforehand still strikes me as terrible writing, especially for something that can easily been explained without introducing those new elements. It's like if Gideon shows up next episode and he's like yeah, my husband just used the cloning machine on the moon base to bring back another copy of me, I mean, we never said there weren't cloning machines in this world, they've always been there, it just hasn't come up yet. That's a much more comically extreme example., but it's still bad for the same reason.

SA has always been mean, often meaner than I'd prefer, but thems the breaks. This thread doesn't strike me as being any worse than the rest, it's just with a story with twists like this, people feel the need to try to come up with the most outlandish thing possible. At least I didn't insult you personally, which is better than most threads.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

counterfeitsaint posted:

:shrug:

Mr. Robot has always been incredibly grounded in reality. Obviously there isn't an entity named Evil Corp that owns 70% of the world's debt, but this is established in the pilot been consistent since and not introduced a season and a half in. The FBI solving the case because of a technology that is actually common in their world with no mention of this beforehand still strikes me as terrible writing, especially for something that can easily been explained without introducing those new elements. It's like if Gideon shows up next episode and he's like yeah, my husband just used the cloning machine on the moon base to bring back another copy of me, I mean, we never said there weren't cloning machines in this world, they've always been there, it just hasn't come up yet. That's a much more comically extreme example., but it's still bad for the same reason.

SA has always been mean, often meaner than I'd prefer, but thems the breaks. This thread doesn't strike me as being any worse than the rest, it's just with a story with twists like this, people feel the need to try to come up with the most outlandish thing possible. At least I didn't insult you personally, which is better than most threads.

I think criticizing the microstamp point is a bit nit-picky. We've established that microstamping is a real thing, even if not widely proliferated in real life. If that's such a big deal for being some kind of deus ex because it's common in the Mr. Robot world and not ours, then why is Darlene paying for the cremation facility in E-coin when she didn't have enough cash if that kind of technology is common in the Mr. Robot world and not ours? The show isn't about firearms so it makes no sense to make a big deal out of it up to this point. You're being a bit too rigid on the whole thing if uncommon tech needs to be name-dropped at some point to establish credibility.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

The Darlene reveal from season 1 still holds up even on a second viewing.

E: also, Darlene is Joanna's abandoned baby.

carticket fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Aug 28, 2016

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

siggy2021 posted:

Can we stop this nonsense now?

I appreciate you finding the quote. Thank you, sincerely.

From the screenshot you posted that girl in the photo looks similar to the one that rides up on a bike in his morphine withdrawal sequence.

Snak posted:

Honestly, I don't really like the tone of this thread, where people feel the need to attack other people's ideas for being stupid. Why can't we just talk about the show and its ideas in a casual and friendly environment without fighting over whose theory is the stupidest possible thing?

Yeah, some posts have been offputting to me. I even tried to avoid this by saying my theory was silly/dumb/whatever to acknowledge that from the start. Another effort I made was to bring up things that happened from the show but even bringing up support was mocked. Whatever.

I think guessing at what's happening is part of what the show is about and watching it collectively is intended to be an experience. The show really tries to make the show feel current to make it more relevant to us as the audience. poo poo, even after episode one and two people were posting stuff like this:

Ev posted:

My crazy internet theory (probably wrong) is that Mr Robot is, or has something to do with the VP at Evil Corp. Not the one that was arrested, the one that talked with Elliott about Gnome vs KDE.

All I'm going on is that he wouldn't be out of place talking to Elliott at Allsafe and it could explain the "Tell me you're seeing this" thing at the end of episode one. Of course, getting Colby arrested would open that job up for him and he sure seems like he'd do anything to move up in the company.

I'm a dedicated goon and don't really enjoy Reddit but some people over there actually worked together to figure out some stuff. Apparently a barcode of the composition book Elliot was writing in this season had a barcode that when decoded led to this website with a page from Elliot's book: http://www.red-wheelbarrow.net/internal/

The Sean fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Aug 28, 2016

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
I thought that Mr. Robot's world being more technologically advanced than our was established fact. The super smart house the E Corp lawyer had, the AI the FBI girl talked to. "When will the wolrd end?", etc.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Mr. Nemo posted:

I thought that Mr. Robot's world being more technologically advanced than our was established fact. The super smart house the E Corp lawyer had, the AI the FBI girl talked to. "When will the wolrd end?", etc.

The house is plausible for someone super rich who just hired some nerd to spend their money on tech poo poo.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Powers posted:

The house is plausible for someone super rich who just hired some nerd to spend their money on tech poo poo.

But she does claim it's a package that she bought. It's pretty plausible, although i dont know of there are any existing companies that build and maintain smarthouses. There will be soon.

Edit: It's another example of existing technology that might be slightly more mainstream in the world of the show than it is today.

Snak fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Aug 28, 2016

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Yeah, if you have money, a smart home like that is totally doable.

Heck, you can cobble together a decent one for 2k or so.

The show is even pretty accurate about how insecure Internet of Things are.

Like this creepy hacked baby monitor: http://sfglobe.com/2016/01/06/stranger-hacks-familys-baby-monitor-and-talks-to-child-at-night/

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Snak posted:

But she does claim it's a package that she bought. Its pretty plausible, although i dont know of there are any existing companies that build and maintain smarthouses. there will be soon.

I'm not even that wealthy but I recently moved into an urban apartment that was just recently built that came with some smart thermostat as a standard. The toilet has a motion sensor to open/close the lid and warms up when you sit on it. It was a very short leap for me to get smart lights to control from my phone and smart outlet controllers are out there, too. I could easily see really loving fancy homes/apartments for people way above my stature/paygrade.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Mr. Nemo posted:

The super smart house the E Corp lawyer had, the AI the FBI girl talked to. "When will the wolrd end?", etc.

The first is poo poo you can do now, the second is just SIRI.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Boogaleeboo posted:

The first is poo poo you can do now, the second is just SIRI.

IIRC she uses Echo/Alexa

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00X4WHP5E

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

And that is the actual canned answer that Alexa gives if you ask it the same question.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Zarlog posted:

E Corp = Elliott Corp

That occurred to me ages ago as a way too obvious late season swerve.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

counterfeitsaint posted:

SA has always been mean, often meaner than I'd prefer, but thems the breaks.
That's actually something I really like about SA. You can be mean about expressed opinions. If I say something dumb then people can attack me for that, and they should, because that is actually how we learn to be better people, but there are lines you don't cross. It's a huge difference from some other online communities where you can't criticise anyone because it's not nice, or in the other direction there are places where there are just no rules (written or unwritten) and you don't express any controversial view because people will take it too far. It's pretty nice to be able to openly discuss things and not worry that you're going to be censured for being mean or harassed for expressing the wrong opinions.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Hey I think Ive figured it out: Angela = Elliot

Its quite obvious follow me here:

- they both had their parents killed by e-corp. What are the odds right?

- Elliot is in love with Angela.That means he is in love with himself, he has a narcissistic personality

- Elliot hates e-corp, but that's just because there is a part of him ("Angela") that really loves e-corp and just want to build a successful carrear inside it

- he is actually gay

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Angelliot.

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007
I'm pretty sure Mobley is a reference to Hodor from game of thrones. You can see in the coffee shop and on the subway it is his job to hold the door for Trenton. Also Elliot is a reference to bran because is a crippled loser and was pushed off a high balcony by his father.

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

Where did you learn how to do that?
This show reminds me so much of Infinite Jest. It just kind of hit me when he was in the church support group and had his breakdown.

It would be cool to read this as a book written by DFW, with all the annotations and the internal dialogue of the characters.

I can't believe they killed the black fsociety hacker first. Stay classy, writers...

Still love this show though.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Med School posted:

This show reminds me so much of Infinite Jest.

Having hated Infinite Jest, I'm not seeing the similarities.

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

Where did you learn how to do that?
I guess it's because the main character is in their head so much and has problems just communicating with people. I think there are interpretations of IJ where the protagonist actually isn't talking to anyone the whole book, because of his extreme autism. The scene where he has the soliloquy to his therapist, which in reality he didn't say at all, definitely reminds me of IJ.

It's sure as hell a pain in the rear end book to read though. I'm not lining up to re-read it any time soon, but I'm glad I did the first time and the time after that where I gave up halfway through, haha.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
The show is real and we're watching a documentary, and its events occur in real time.

DopeGhoti
May 24, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

sticklefifer posted:

The show is real and we're watching a documentary, and its events occur in real time.

I like this theory.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

As far as I know, if you're someone working for a government agency - such as the police or the FBI - there are rules against fraternizing with the people you're investigating, especially if you're investigating them while under cover. Thus, the fact that the guy slept with Angela kinda overwrites any findings the FBI would have to prosecute her with. I think having sex to get closer to someone as a part of your job equates to prostitution.

The only reason I bring that up before mentioning the Dark Army doing the same thing with Darlene's boyfriend is because we now see a parallel between the FBI and the Dark Army. You'd expect that kind of tactic from the Dark Army, not the FBI.

The Sean posted:

I appreciate you finding the quote. Thank you, sincerely.

From the screenshot you posted that girl in the photo looks similar to the one that rides up on a bike in his morphine withdrawal sequence.
Just so we're clear here, they are the same girl.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Aug 29, 2016

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

DaveKap posted:

As far as I know, if you're someone working for a government agency - such as the police or the FBI - there are rules against fraternizing with the people you're investigating, especially if you're investigating them while under cover. Thus, the fact that the guy slept with Angela kinda overwrites any findings the FBI would have to prosecute her with. I think having sex to get closer to someone as a part of your job equates to prostitution.

It could be that he's not an FBI employee but just a normal guy who picked up Angela at a bar, then as the FBI were trailing Angela and likely had people outside her home on surveillance etc. they saw the guy, found who he was and brought him in after they'd already hooked up. At least that was my assumption anyway, it didn't seem like he had an FBI demeanour when he was complaining to Dom, more that of a guy who felt he was being used and wanted out of something he was semi-coerced into.

tanglewood1420 fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Aug 29, 2016

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

tanglewood1420 posted:

It could be that he's not an FBI employee but just a normal guy who picked up Angela at a bar, then as the FBI were trailing Angela and likely had people outside her home on surveillance etc. they saw the guy, found who he was and brought him in after they'd already hooked up. At least that was my assumption anyway, it didn't seem like he had an FBI demeanour when he was complaining to Dom, more that of a guy who felt he was being used and wanted out of something he was semi-coerced into.
"She hasn't given up anything since you first put me on her," Says the man telling the FBI agent. He was put on her by the FBI. He works for the FBI.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

ApexAftermath posted:

Does anyone else feel like one of the major reveals is going to be the mother and whatever she is up to? We've never had a scene with her(as a person who is confirmed a real person in the room), but as far as we know she is alive.

Well there's two options right now.

1) He projected the prison guard as his mother to complete his fantasy.
2) The prison guard is actually his mother, which could be why she bothers saying "see you tomorrow" before closing his cell door and shooting him that very "I'm so disappointed in you" glare.

Also, when I heard the name Tyrell I immediately thought of Blade Runner. Why not? He runs a giant tech company that produces replicants in a cyberpunk dystopia and this show has a tendency to heavily play off of famous movies.

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007
I think Elliot and Angela will get married and Angela will be pregnant with a baby. They will have a wedding but the dark army will come in and stab Angela in the stomach then cut Elliots mothers throat. Then whiterose will kidnap elliot for 3 seasons until finally darlene is able to get him free.

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches

DaveKap posted:

Just so we're clear here, they are the same girl.

It's actually a great, subtle hint. Elliott says "hello friend" and she replies, "we're not friends."

Veshpo
May 23, 2016

Why does Darlene have a fake foot

Does Leon have here real foot

Veshpo fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Aug 29, 2016

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Angela and President Duck Philips are actually the same person, last episode featured the first clue this has all just been a masturbatory fantasy of hers.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

DaveKap posted:

"She hasn't given up anything since you first put me on her," Says the man telling the FBI agent. He was put on her by the FBI. He works for the FBI.
Sure, but when he looks at the tv covering the Berenstain leak, he says how "you guys" are in trouble or something like that as if he's not an agent.

I got the impression that he was a normal guy that they paid to spy on her with after he randomly hooked up the first time.

Death Vomit Wizard
May 8, 2006
Bottom Feeder

Med School posted:

I guess it's because the main character is in their head so much and has problems just communicating with people. I think there are interpretations of IJ where the protagonist actually isn't talking to anyone the whole book, because of his extreme autism. The scene where he has the soliloquy to his therapist, which in reality he didn't say at all, definitely reminds me of IJ.

It's sure as hell a pain in the rear end book to read though. I'm not lining up to re-read it any time soon, but I'm glad I did the first time and the time after that where I gave up halfway through, haha.
A lot of the book's themes are there. I now want Elliot to have a hydrocephalic half-bro.

Zarlog
Dec 7, 2005

Zarlog, Protector of Baal

JazzFlight posted:

...Berenstain...

This seems highly unlikely, but the Berenstain Bears conspiracy combined with Whiterose mentioning multiple realities could be clues to support the theory that everything we've seen has actually happened, but we are being shown multiple timelines, and Elliott is somehow unknowingly being teleported through these timelines, thus he and the audience believe he is hallucinating. Mr. Robot is a prequel to Quantum Leap.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

JazzFlight posted:

Sure, but when he looks at the tv covering the Berenstain leak, he says how "you guys" are in trouble or something like that as if he's not an agent.

I got the impression that he was a normal guy that they paid to spy on her with after he randomly hooked up the first time.

Yeah he says "Some hosed up poo poo you guys did. It's got me all paranoid how do I know you guys aren't watching me too? poo poo's worse than Snowden." So he definitely isn't an FBI agent or employee, but I guess it's up for interpretation as to whether Dom somehow selected him and made him initiate the first meeting or whether they picked him up after they'd already hooked up (though I think the latter).

I read it as he thought it was a one night stand, but the FBI made him get back in touch with Angela and tried to turn him into a source but it hasn't worked.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

The microstamping thing is trolling by the producers. You know how most movies have completely nonsensical hacking scenes because nobody notices or cares except a small demographic of nerds? This is the same thing, but for guns. Nobody except hard core gun "enthusiasts" and Americans even knows what microstamping is and wouldn't even care if they knew, cause it's inconsequential to the plot.

They are making fun of pedantic techie nerds.

Original theory © 2016, do not steal; call me of you would like to use this theory for your own posts

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

DaveKap posted:

You might know wrong. Story broke in the UK a couple years ago that coppers infiltrating in environmental activist and assorted left-wing groups were sleeping with members of said groups on the reg and had even fathered children. As far as I know nothing serious came of these revelation so I'd assume that in the UK at least this is still a thing that totally can happen. Have difficulty imagining the US being significantly better.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Yeah, and a professional FBI agent wouldn't have had his meltdown about it not working. He's clearly an amateur they picked up after Angela's FBI tail saw him leaving her apartment on the night of the first one night stand or something along those lines.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Seeing the Berenstain thing on this show was ultra-weird after Whiterose's alternate reality talk. I think I read about it a few days ago but it could be the links just started spreading virally because it was on Mr Robot.

Woden posted:

That scene when they first me and Darlene chided him for letting people put malware on his phone is what's making me think in this direction, I doubt the payoff for that scene is just him deleting and tossing a phone.

I thought Tobley was playing with her in that scene because getting punked by that kind of thing seems a little out of character. But Trenton is my favourite tertiary character by a country mile.

waitwhatno posted:

Darlene is weird. She doesn't show up in any of Elliot's childhood flashbacks and she is never really acknowledged by Mr. Robot.

At some point Elliot talked about Darlene riding her bicycle all the time and in the Keith David Fish sequence way back in S1 you see a girl riding a bicycle. I haven't gone and checked but it's probably the same actor as the girl in the photographs.

Snak posted:

Good on Darlene taking care of business though. I get that none of them are comfortable with murder, but I feel like "look, we broke the loving world open, and a whole bunch of people's lives have been destroyed because of it. People have died because of what we did. Now this lady has seen all of our faces and so we have to kill her." would have been totally appropriate.

I still don't have enough faith in this show because when she hit her head on the wall I assumed, as is common practice on TV, that she'd died and that was that. It would've been a horrible way to get out of the hole Esmail'd written himself in by having her just turn up out of nowhere. (But I still feel like not even having some rudimentary tripwire system to warn them automatically if she turned up was uncharacteristically stupid.)

Hollismason posted:

I actually really liked this episode because it focused on the tertiary characters. I was convinced the FBI interrogation was going to go differently.

I grinned when the first word out of his mouth was "Lawyer."

Dom is getting pretty desperate trying to get at F-Society, holding people on flimsy evidence, having an agent try to get into bed with Angela. (And yes, Tears for Fears owns.) But it's still reasonable since she was nearly killed and her colleagues were killed over this crap. I actually think the Chinese assassination would've IRL mitigated the fallout from the Berenstain leak but then again maybe after Five-Nine people just have no faith in the government anymore even against terrorism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

waitwhatno posted:

The microstamping thing is trolling by the producers. You know how most movies have completely nonsensical hacking scenes because nobody notices or cares except a small demographic of nerds?

When Elliot's having his morphine withdrawal sequence and the tall black guy and bearded white guy hackers from fsociety are seemingly watching over him they're watching the movie Hackers. Tall guy says something like "In all my years of hacking I've never had a virus singto me" (in reference to the virus singing "row row row your boat" before taking out the oil tanker) and bearded guy says "Yeah, and I've never flown through a tron city of data files." Tall guy replies (paraphrasing): "Someone out there right now is writing a TV show that will totally gently caress up the recent generation's idea of what hacking is like."

Also, gently caress the people gratingly disagreeing with my Elliot = Darlene poo poo. Here's some more stuff. Also, I'm just going to enjoy if you say I'm dumb and don't offer any substance in your reply. Someone recently posted a family photo showing a girl in the family. I actually enjoyed the specific confrontation to my theory rather than "lol dumb" though I find it weird that the parents are holding Elliot but the girl's just off to the side.

Borrowed Ladder posted:

It's actually a great, subtle hint. Elliott says "hello friend" and she replies, "we're not friends."

Elliot also writes in his notebook that he is upset at someone but starts over again "Hello, friend" and Mr Robot interrupts and is pissed off.

Just before Elliot first meets Whiterose Darlene gives him her phone number and insists that he put it in his phone. Mr Robot is pissed off right afterwards as they're not supposed to make any real connection with eachother in fsociety. Why would Darlene have to give Elliot her phone number if they're siblings and previously close to eachother (previous to Elliots apparent freakout before the start of season 1, that is?). Really there'd be no reason for this.

Just after he meets Whiterose Elliot seems really distraught. He's partially distraught over his interaction with Whiterose but also over Gideon snooping around.

Elliot (Narrating): "Do you know more than me? That wouldn't be fair--my imaginary friend knowing more than me. We need a distraction to get Gideon's phone."
Elliot calls Darlene
Elliot: "Darlene, I need you to do something for me."
Elliot (Narrating): "She can help. Sometimes it's hard to listen to an explanation. Even when it's from myself. Especially when it's from myself."

In the scene right after that, the Fscociety Mask character calls out Gideon directly but the distorted voice sounds very much like Darlene to me.

The Sean fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Aug 29, 2016

• Locked thread