Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Man I haven't played RE1 in forever. What did I do wrong that Barry didn't save me and let me become a Jill sandwich?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

Len posted:

Man I haven't played RE1 in forever. What did I do wrong that Barry didn't save me and let me become a Jill sandwich?

If you wait until you meet Barry in the main hall again he won't show up to save you. Also I think you need to check both locked doors while the ceiling is coming down for the cutscene to play as well.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
You could also get the drat broken shotgun :shrug:

But Barry only saves you if my memory serves it's when you split up the first time and before you meet up again and you have to check both doors to confirm "welp I hosed up"

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i guess it makes sense to split up the normal gameplay and the video missions. one of re's major problems is that none of the games were particularly scary, in large part because you had guns and could kill any threats outside of scripted events. so, the video missions allow them to vary the gameplay a bit without any bullshit like stealing all your guns. they might have more variety than just all being outlast, too.

also, if combat is in the game but merely disabled for the video missions, then it seems likely that under the hood the scary chase enemies are the same as the enemies you can shoot with guns. in other words, GHOST PUNCHING MOD is extremely possible. there are a lot of if's involved, but hey, hope springs eternal.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Spiffster posted:

You could also get the drat broken shotgun :shrug:

But Barry only saves you if my memory serves it's when you split up the first time and before you meet up again and you have to check both doors to confirm "welp I hosed up"

Well yeah but that was behind a still locked door and I wanted it now!

Apparently yeah the problem was going into the main hall even though I didn't get the cutscene with acid rounds.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Vakal posted:

I hope they at least put in a better reward in that laboratory vault that required you to register finger prints for both Clair and Leon to open.

In the original all I think that was in there was a machine gun clip or something equally useless.

You're trippin'. There's an SMG and a pack that lets you get two more inventory slots. I grab the SMG in the A scenario because if you use it on the next boss it will kill him with basically the entire clip, then save the bag for my B scenario.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Is the Resident Evil 2 on PS3 the dual shock edition? I want to monkey around with the infinite ammo code.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Die Laughing posted:

Is the Resident Evil 2 on PS3 the dual shock edition? I want to monkey around with the infinite ammo code.
Yup!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I still swear I once ended up with Rachel getting attacked by the hunter in a completely different room than usual but I was never able to figure out how or recreate it. The only reason I don't think I didn't dream it was because it shows it in the end credits sequence iirc

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

You're trippin'. There's an SMG and a pack that lets you get two more inventory slots. I grab the SMG in the A scenario because if you use it on the next boss it will kill him with basically the entire clip, then save the bag for my B scenario.
The lab vault at the end of the game, not the RPD armoury :v:

Although speaking of that armoury, I usually take the SMG in Scenario A for that G-Mutant boss (loving little bastards he spawns are no threat when you can just swing the SMG around), and invariably give Claire the sidepack regardless of scenario. Leon really doesn't need extra inventory space.

Sakurazuka posted:

I still swear I once ended up with Rachel getting attacked by the hunter in a completely different room than usual but I was never able to figure out how or recreate it. The only reason I don't think I didn't dream it was because it shows it in the end credits sequence iirc
The Hunter will either appear by the staircase next to the medical room or in the mini-library on the other side of the mansion, and like all of RE1's alternate cutscenes this hinges entirely on throwaway decisions you make earlier on which shouldn't really bear any relevance. In other words, allowing Rebecca to follow you around (which she doesn't anyway because 1996) or telling her to stay in the medroom will decide on a few things. I don't recall if letting Rebecca practice on the piano or not has any effect on the Hunter scene, but it undoubtedly affects something, somewhere along the way. Probably the whole Plant 42 and V-Jolt thing.

Mr. Sunabouzu posted:

Hey i'm trying to win a bet, has Chris Redfield ever cracked a joke or smiled once in this entire series?
Oh god yes. The original game is Chris the Comedian. "So much for him... we got to the ROOT of the problem!"

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

The lab vault at the end of the game, not the RPD armoury :v:

Oh!... Oh... uh... gently caress. I've played a ridiculously large amount of RE2 and I don't remember what you're talking about. :downs:

So you HAVE to get it in the B scenario? Honestly starting to wonder if I somehow never found that locker.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Aug 29, 2016

Vakal
May 11, 2008

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Oh!... Oh... uh... gently caress. I've played a ridiculously large amount of RE2 and I don't remember what you're talking about. :downs:

So you HAVE to get it in the B scenario? Honestly starting to wonder if I somehow never found that locker.

It's the giant locked door with the fingerprint scanner in the area where the plant monsters are shuffling around.

All that's in the room is one of Hunk's dead crew, and the SMG ammo on his body.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Vakal posted:

All that's in the room is one of Hunk's dead crew, and the SMG ammo on his body.
Replaced by a dead Hunter in the N64 version. I have no idea why that was added, it's just jarring to see one of those.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
A lot of effort for little reward, but it does have some of the coolest music in the game.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Umbrella in the REmake might be peak mustache twirling evil in the series. Theres everything they did with Lisa and the rest of the Trevor family and then there's the crimson head elder.

"Boss we got this red angry zombie that's killing the hell out of us and we cant seem to kill it. What should we do with it?"

"Put it in a coffin. With this crank we need to get to the courtyard. Then seal it up with this mask system George came up with."

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Eh it isn't that comically evil, just evil. Though killing George in a really over elaborate way was kind of funny all things considered.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I think they cross the line with how many different things they inject Lisa with. Like "hey she isn't dead yet? Just keep sticking her with needles until something sticks.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Len posted:

I think they cross the line with how many different things they inject Lisa with. Like "hey she isn't dead yet? Just keep sticking her with needles until something sticks.

Pictured: An Umbrella Scientist.

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

I thought my Spitter was a Jockey!
I just installed RE5 on Steam and when I launched it installed GFWL. Is this seriously still a thing? I thought RE5 ran through Steam entirely now, do I need to upgrade to Gold for that or what? This is actually the first time I've launched it on pc ever, I'm pretty sure I got it through the RE6 preorder. Do I have an option for not using GFWL?

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Upgrading to gold ports it to Steamworks. It's a poo poo way to handle it.

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

I thought my Spitter was a Jockey!
Well I quit out without logging in to GFWL and relaunched without the GFWL thing popping up. Never got a prompt for the code Steam said I would have to c/p either but it looks like the game is working so all's well I guess. :shrug:

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

Anonymous Robot posted:

Upgrading to gold ports it to Steamworks. It's a poo poo way to handle it.

This is flat-out not true. It just installs GFWL in case you have an old RE5 save from it and want to port it to Steamworks. You don't need to upgrade to Gold.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Son Ryo posted:

This is flat-out not true. It just installs GFWL in case you have an old RE5 save from it and want to port it to Steamworks. You don't need to upgrade to Gold.

Oh, I had no idea. That's cool, then.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
The activities of the Umbrella corporation before the first game are fertile ground for a really balls-out horror game, but I'm not sure Capcom has the wherewithal or the will to do one. You'd almost need to pull in someone like the Amnesia team, or somebody else who's disinclined to pull punches.

If you gather all of the lore up and look at it, it is some straight-up Holocaust or Rape of Nanking imagery: for the better part of twenty-five years, a generation of brilliant virologists, biologists, and researchers were allowed to do as they pleased with an unlimited budget and live human testing, which typically resulted in the humans' deaths. It was ostensibly to further Spencer's pet project--using the T-Virus as a way to forcibly evolve the human race into a sort of augmented slave species, with himself as its leader and ruler--but a lot of other things went on underneath the same roof, frequently with no further justification than just to see if it could be done. The T-Virus is basically glue, meant to reanimate dead tissue so they could glue it back together into new forms of life; the G-Virus is an accident.

You don't even find out why Spencer has set this up until RE5. A lot of people assume that it's for weapons production, but you don't see Umbrella so much as try to sell its work as weapons until Dead Aim, when the company's on its last legs. (And then Morpheus kills all the prospective buyers.) For the first few games, Umbrella is conducting its research just for the sake of doing so, making billions off its legitimate activities and funneling those billions into weapons research and underground evil lairs all over the world. There is no reason.

So imagine that. You're just some person, who walked down a bad street or got on the wrong dude's bad side, and you wake up one day in a holding pen or secret prison or blank-walled cell, most likely far from home, and nobody tells you what's happening. You're fed, you're clothed, there are other people nearby, and sometimes they just vanish. They're taken in so some brilliant genius born without a soul can find out what happens if a healthy human is injected with the gently caress-You Virus he came up with this morning, and at some point very soon it's going to be your turn. It has nothing to do with you; you're just an anonymous test subject, used in a war crime of a project that has no greater point, and this is how your story ends.

At most, they've told that story sideways in a couple of incidental files here and there, but a game where you were one of those subjects would be genuinely unsettling, all the moreso because of its real-world parallels: animal testing, historical analogies, etc.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Steve, if he were more likable, would have been an interesting way to explore that. He is literally just the victim who happened to be around because his dad got nicked and he spends the remained of his short life in a various set of hellholes until he's transformed into a monster and dies for no reason other than because he was there. If the'd had more writing chops for it focusing on Steve being angry and pissed off because he's living a horrifying lovely hell for no reason other than random chance would have been a pretty engaging idea for a tragedy.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
however, steve deserved everything bad that ever happened to him. ugh, that guy.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
Steve never really bothered me that much. The thing that pissed me off about him though was he gives a huge poo poo fit when you give him the SMG's with no ammo saying you played a mean trick... When he does the same thing to you with the golden luggers. I know we were going to use them as keys anyway but still :wtc:

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Umbrella was a bizarre case because they effectively had no oversight. Spencer was the head of the company from the very beginning and he was only really interested in a select few projects. He'd okay any project that came across his desk on the grounds that it both didn't interfere with his Godhood plan and also sounded "Cool". And he rarely heard complaints about the ethics or practicality about any of these projects because anyone willing to mention them was usually murdered. Then there was James Marcus, the co-founder. Again, he didn't give a gently caress about anything outside of his own specific pet project, so as long as you didn't ask about his cum-soaked leeches, you could inject whatever you wanted into all sorts of crap. And the one time Marcus tried to exert any sort of executive control, even if he was just asking for more creepy basements to gently caress leeches in, he was almost immediately murdered. The third big mover-and-shaker at Umbrella was Alexander Ashford, and again, he didn't care what you were doing with lizardman in a tube. He just wanted to brag about how super smart his daughter was and how fancy his weird mansion in Antarctica was ("It looks just like Spencer's," he'd say, "But less lovely."). He was so terrible at keep track of what other people were doing, he didn't even notice when his creepazoid Omen children plotted to turn him into a tube-man and lock him in the basement. On the upside, he wasn't murdered, at least not by anyone in the company.

So, really, any dumb schmuck at Umbrella could just point at any random chemical concoction and say "Hey, what if we injected that into Larry?" and almost every time the higher-ups would reply "Go for it, man, you do you." The truly amazing thing about Umbrella is that while all this was happening, they were wildly successful, most assuredly due to the efforts of the most exhausted and world-weary CFO in history. None of the games really touch on that, and we'll never know who that person was, but at least we can rest assured that they were definitely murdered.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

The most dangerous and brilliant mind that Umbrella ever produced came up with the plan of "Get disemboweled and hope for the best."

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Hey it loving worked. What more do you want.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Wesker's audio logs - July 24 - 12:36 AM

We've reached the mansion, and just as I predicted, manipulating the likes of Redfield and those idiots was simple work. With Burton coerced and Valentine off doing...something, I can easily accomplish my goals with this convenient Master Key. I still have the virus Birkin provided to me. Thought the method of attaining the power locked within seems...unorthodox, I have little to fear and everything to gain. I will test William's little theory once I have taken care of the evidence. Tonight, I taste godhood.

July 24 - 4:09 AM

I'm in the Tyrant Chamber. It's all come down to this. I can hear Redfield loving around in the elevator outside, time is running out. I've already injected the virus because I am so loving stupid! Why did I listen to Birkin, that loving dweeb doesn't know poo poo about Tyrants. Jesus, those claws are so big. I don't remember them being that big. Did someone give him--gently caress, nevermind. What kind of dumb rear end in a top hat makes a super virus that only works if you get stabbed? Goddammit Birkin, I hate you so much. poo poo, I hear Redfield just outside the door. Dammit, I've got this whole dumb speech prepared before I let this monster out and let myself get loving stabbed like a dumb idiot! I'M SO loving STUPID!

Dammit, Al, get it together. Don't let Chris see you cry. gently caress, I'm dumb.

July 24 - 6:41 AM

I'm so loving smart.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

You know it wasn't as easy as just asking to I next a person with a new virus. You also had to spin the pitch so that it would help your bosses plan for world domination whatever that was at the time. Otherwise Gerald in Lab B will end up getting the funding instead.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Can't wait to get home from work and play Resident Evil 4 AGAIN.

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Len posted:

You know it wasn't as easy as just asking to I next a person with a new virus. You also had to spin the pitch so that it would help your bosses plan for world domination whatever that was at the time. Otherwise Gerald in Lab B will end up getting the funding instead.

Man... gently caress Gerald from Lab B. Douchebag never created anything original, it's always the same "hey let's take some random animal, pump it full of T-Virus and see what happens" crap with him. I will gladly admit the Neptunes are pretty scary and could have some military application once they figure out how to control them (good luck with that though), but seriously, giant moth? giant spider? giant loving milipede? did they just randomly go through an encyclopadia of insects and pick whatever they liked?

On the plus side we've lost all contact with Lab B for several days now, so it's safe to assume the idiot tried to inject some T-Virus in a praying mantis or something and got his entire lab murdered. Serves him right.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

WitchFetish posted:

Man... gently caress Gerald from Lab B. Douchebag never created anything original, it's always the same "hey let's take some random animal, pump it full of T-Virus and see what happens" crap with him. I will gladly admit the Neptunes are pretty scary and could have some military application once they figure out how to control them (good luck with that though), but seriously, giant moth? giant spider? giant loving milipede? did they just randomly go through an encyclopadia of insects and pick whatever they liked?

On the plus side we've lost all contact with Lab B for several days now, so it's safe to assume the idiot tried to inject some T-Virus in a praying mantis or something and got his entire lab murdered. Serves him right.

I'd love to see the Umbrella guys attending conferences to present their findings to their peers.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

What I want to know is how and where within the Arklay facility that stuff such as Hunters were kept before being released into the mansion, since neither the original or the remake really gives an answer to this; the loving place just fills up with surprise lizardmen all of a sudden. Were they simply loitering around freely in the Underground/Mining Area the whole time waiting for a really inconvenient moment to spring into action and ruin everyone's fun? No wonder everything went to poo poo. Billions of dollars spent solely on making monsters and killing the workforce with no budget for actually containing a loving crisis outside of obligatory self-destruct systems. Umbrella!

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Son Ryo posted:

I reinstalled RE5 like a month ago and kept crashing on startup, should I just look for the executable on RE5 folder to skip GFWL instalation? I just want a fresh save and see if I can play with a friend via Steamworks.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

What I want to know is how and where within the Arklay facility that stuff such as Hunters were kept before being released into the mansion, since neither the original or the remake really gives an answer to this; the loving place just fills up with surprise lizardmen all of a sudden. Were they simply loitering around freely in the Underground/Mining Area the whole time waiting for a really inconvenient moment to spring into action and ruin everyone's fun? No wonder everything went to poo poo. Billions of dollars spent solely on making monsters and killing the workforce with no budget for actually containing a loving crisis outside of obligatory self-destruct systems. Umbrella!

That's about the only plot hole RE0 actually closed. The Hunters were in the labs underneath the old training facility.

Crowetron posted:

So, really, any dumb schmuck at Umbrella could just point at any random chemical concoction and say "Hey, what if we injected that into Larry?" and almost every time the higher-ups would reply "Go for it, man, you do you." The truly amazing thing about Umbrella is that while all this was happening, they were wildly successful, most assuredly due to the efforts of the most exhausted and world-weary CFO in history. None of the games really touch on that, and we'll never know who that person was, but at least we can rest assured that they were definitely murdered.

One thing that's kind of funny is that if you look around the games set in Raccoon City, you can find ads or something for all sorts of Umbrella products like painkillers, shampoo, and even instant noodles. I can only assume that a big part of Umbrella's success story is that when you're willing to do live human testing for your consumer products without any regard for the law, common sense, or even the most basic and vestigial sense of human decency, you end up being able to make some really loving good shampoo.

"We killed no less than two dozen vagrants, wastrels, and death row inmates to make sure Aquacure provides your hair with unrivaled bounce and shine!"
[sotto voce] "Rare side effects may include homicidal mania, cannibalism, unplanned mutations, gout, and/or combat diarrhea."

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
That's right in line with the idea that NK could actually make some amazing medical etc breakthrough due to lack of ethics (and noone believing them, so the discovery never gets put to use).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Better off Ted is probably the closest we'll get to anything showing the daily operations of Umbrella. Which is sad because I feel like there would be a market for a game where the player works for Umbrella but isn't one of their elite mercenaries or some poo poo.