Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

suspicious donkey!
Jun 26, 2013
it is v hot so i took some cold brew and put some milk & ice into it

life is good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teen bear
Feb 19, 2006

bump_fn posted:

been having pretty lousy canadian coffee all week, looking forward to getting back home

i didn't know we grew coffee here

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Visual GNUdio posted:

^5 kalita buddy

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

"Life always hopes. When a definite object cannot be outlined, the indomitable spirit of hope still impels the living mass to move toward something--something that shall somehow be better."
FILLING
MY
MUG

Visual GNUdio
Aug 27, 2003

I just bought 20 pounds of the worst coffee beans imaginable. My dumb machine learning project needs data, and for that I need to roast into second crack (past if I can stand the smoke). I don't at all care for beans roasted that dark, and I didn't want to burn beans that I paid actual monies for on account of this dumbass idea of mine, so I talked to my local greens supplier and asked if they had a garbage bag of poo poo-tier beans and explained the situation. They offered to unload some robusta beans they had purchased to use for some cupping classes in order to demonstrate what lovely coffee is like, and wound up with 100+ pounds of this garbage. He was only too happy to unload some on me and my dumb ideas.

Everything about this is horribad. Tiny rear end beans, no consistency at all, and it's robusta which means it's crap to begin with.

It'll do perfectly!

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Cocoa Crispies posted:

i assembled some ikea this morning and took a coffee break right in the middle

it was glorious

:coffee:

Visual GNUdio
Aug 27, 2003

It's alive!

I have the classifiers running in realtime and sending data into Artisan. The green squiggly line at the bottom is the KNN classifier catching first crack events from the recorded audio stream. While running the roast I manually marked first crack start and first crack end which are marked against the dark blue line above as FCs and FCe. Note that the trained model and my manual input line up pretty fuckin nicely.

Visual GNUdio
Aug 27, 2003

Decided that software I'm running above would be cooler on an RPi. A day later I'm still compiling dependencies and then it occurred to me that I make horrible life decisions.

edit: but I still make a drat decent latte

Visual GNUdio fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Aug 29, 2016

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Visual GNUdio posted:

Decided that software I'm running above would be cooler on an RPi. A day later I'm still compiling dependencies and then it occurred to me that I make horrible life decisions.

we're glad you do

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
I like bulletproof coffee.

just the recipe, not the version where u buy the expensive stuff from them

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

"Life always hopes. When a definite object cannot be outlined, the indomitable spirit of hope still impels the living mass to move toward something--something that shall somehow be better."
have a really bad cold, but the coffee prevails.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

been drinking coffee all morning. it's been good.

suspicious donkey!
Jun 26, 2013
sleep is the enemy

TheVaultDweller
Sep 27, 2005

Flat Daddy posted:

I like bulletproof coffee.

just the recipe, not the version where u buy the expensive stuff from them

I make a bulletproof breve at work and it got weirdly popular with the local cross-fit people

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

time for a diet coke!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

not hot coffe (this includes iced coffee) is bad.

i once thought this as well, my son. i pray that you too will see the error of your ways

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

bought a french press for the office today cause paying for tim hortons coffee is a bad idea for several reasons

feels good

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

flakeloaf posted:

bought a french press for the office today cause paying for tim hortons coffee is a bad idea for several reasons

feels good

brew your own coffee and bring your own lunch to work every day. after a year, enjoy the thousands of extra dollars you have in your bank account

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Visual GNUdio posted:

I don't think there's a thing on your desk I'm not a little bit jealous of. I even want a little display for my Pi.

Don't know if there's coffeeshaming going on in this thread, but these days I'm slumming by buying Peerless in bulk at the grocery store and cold brewing it a week's batch at a go. Filtering's a PITA but iced coffee goes down quick and it's less dadvoice aimed at my 2-year-old if she jostles me on the couch. Downside is it goes down so fast I want more and I end up getting caffeine paranoia.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

BONGHITZ posted:

time for a diet coke!

o7 thanks for your service mods

Visual GNUdio
Aug 27, 2003

doctorfrog posted:

I even want a little display for my Pi.
Finally got it doing the needful!

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

what stand is that for the Pi screen? I have the official touch display but haven't found a suitable way to prop it up

Visual GNUdio
Aug 27, 2003

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

what stand is that for the Pi screen? I have the official touch display but haven't found a suitable way to prop it up

This thing. Works well enough, it's sturdy and functional. The surface finish on mine isn't very good, like it was poorly molded, but it otherwise is ok.

Visual GNUdio fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Aug 30, 2016

Visual GNUdio
Aug 27, 2003

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

drinking coffee rn

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Same. Peets from a k cup.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

I had Cold-Brewed Iced Coffee this morning. It was smooth af

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
roasted some

Visual GNUdio
Aug 27, 2003

Another day another dinner another dumb thought gets into my head and then I'm lying in bed stewing on how to make it happen and then I'm back up banging at code until the wee hours of the morning.

Good news, it works!

The Artisan roasting software supports automated readings from a digital scale, but it only supports two scales. The first option is a $250 scale I've made mention of in previous threads. Good news is I already own one. Bad news is that communicating with it requires some magical BT4LE dongle that they released to a couple developers and then apparently forgot about because they haven't mentioned it in over a year. The other option is a Kern scale which apparently are available in the EU but not here and they're also well north of $100 and I'm only doing that poo poo once.

The Artisan code is a little more than I think I can handle with my scrub tier programming skills so modifying it to add support for some other scale seemed iffy. Then the thought occurred to me that instead of making Artisan understand some other scale, maybe making a scale that looks like one of the supported scales would be easier. One $12.64 kit and a $2.60 microcontroller and this here code from last night has given me a working solution for just over $15.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

have you considered the repercussions of using science to brew the perfect coffee?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Thinkin bout thos beans

Visual GNUdio
Aug 27, 2003

While I'm posting dumb coffee project updates, here is a long and boring video showing the two classifiers running against a roast in realtime, indicating their confidence on the live graph.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqgeNr_wXbY&t=560s

The green and purple lines at the bottom indicate the kNN and SVM classifiers respectively, charting their confidence that they are hearing the sounds of first crack as a percentage (0-100, scale on the left). I will note that both classifiers are doin' the needful.

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Shaggar posted:

Thinkin bout thos beans

Same

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
just brewed some coffee

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

i had coffee today. sorry for not reporting in earlier

Visual GNUdio
Aug 27, 2003

Heading up to the inlaws for the weekend, bought them a decent grinder and roasted a couple batches to help further ingratiate myself

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

chugged a Coke. diet.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

BONGHITZ posted:

chugged a Coke. diet.

fl*p off, dude. no one wants to hear about that

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

im gonna crack open a cold fizzy one over the yospos discord

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010