Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Squadron 42 hoodies are back?

For a limited time?

Wait a second, by CIGs own defining skills, limited means forever.

I am on to your games now....

taxes,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Tippis posted:

NMS has gameplay and multiple game mechanics and a game loop that leads to an end-game. That's a pretty huge difference.

Yeah but I'm talking about a hypothetical "what-if" Star Citizen actually manages to release.

Impossible, I know, but the point stands.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

HAHAHAHA HUGE MEGABRAND KOTAKU MUST JUST HAVE A REAL AMATEUR NETWORK SETUP

HAHAHAHA I WONDER WHY NO OTHER GAME RUINED THEIR INTERNET?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Beet Wagon posted:

Because no other game has such a network-effective patcher. Duh. :smuggo:

CrowdControl
Aug 2, 2011

Uhh Tommy, I think I'm just gonna sleep at my house tonight...

Kegslayer posted:

Goblin posted:

[–]TCABxlYouTuber 12 points 4 hours ago
At Gamescom, there was a booth where you could engrave things onto deactivated bullets. We did one with Derek Smart written on it in Comic Sans. Comic Sans shows we mean business xD

Comic Sans, good for both jokes and psychotic giggles aimed at Star Citizen critics

These guys are batshit crazy and this is legitimately hosed up on so many levels.

I agree. I know they are in a cult-like echo chamber, but you've got to have some principals. Comic-sans is never an appropriate font choice.

CrowdControl fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Aug 29, 2016

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

I have some disturbing information. We have a traitor in our midst.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Beet Wagon posted:

They probably do and it's because star citizen is uniquely retarded. It was essentially functioning as a denial of service attack from inside their network.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

i will be posting picture proof of the Traitor in our Midst in mere moments.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

grimcreaper posted:

I have some disturbing information. We have a traitor in our midst.

How much did you buy back in for?

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

CrowdControl posted:

I agree. I know they are in a cult-like echo chamber, but you've got to have some prinipals. Comic-sans is never an appropriate font choice.

Comic sans is the most appropriate font choice, if you're trying to enrage my girlfriend, who for some reason thinks that all her fancy graphic design degrees means she gets to be Head Font-Chooser in the house.

Offkorn
Jan 16, 2008

Borderline Anti-Social Schizoid

Nuclearmonkee posted:

To be fair it's at least half their fault for running without some kind of qos/shaping.

Unless I'm misunderstanding you, the article mentions they do have shaping of some form (bolding mine):

The Article posted:

Here’s a more technically accurate explanation:

“Star Citizen was seen downloading a series of part files via Port 80 from multiple hosts (#.webseed.robertsspaceindustries.com – # being numbers ranging from 0 to 999) similar to P2P (Torrents) or Usenet,” our support staff told me via email. “It then established as many simultaneous connections as possible and saturated the internet allocation.”

“The simultaneous connections continued to increase which drained the anti-malware protection filtering on Port 80 on the firewall, this in-turned impacted the performance of the firewall and traffic shaping began to queue up. I believe Star Citizen just continued to seek as many connections as possible until the max bandwidth was reached (basically an octopus was trying to put as many tentacles into peanut butter jars as possible).”

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

CrowdControl posted:

I agree. I know they are in a cult-like echo chamber, but you've got to have some prinipals. Comic-sans is never an appropriate font choice.

I have a shirt that says just "Helvetica" on it. In comic sans.

I work at a PR+web agency. :v:

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

grimcreaper posted:

i will be posting picture proof of the Traitor in our Midst in mere moments.

don't doxx me tia

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

How much did you buy back in for?

I bought back in for the grand total of $0.00. how can the $7200.50 be "bought back in" when i never got a refund?

Beet Wagon posted:

don't doxx me tia

Your not the traitor!

Still trying to figure out how to imgur to post proof.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Offkorn posted:

Unless I'm misunderstanding you, the article mentions they do have shaping of some form (bolding mine):

You can and should make it so a single client can't open infinite connections or eat more than a small slice of your total bandwidth. It should have been detected as an attack and killed since that's what it basically was.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

grimcreaper posted:

Your not the traitor!

Oh good, I was worried for a minute. I've been spending a lot of time thinking about how to survive hidden in a cargo crate for days at a time, and I know that's a symptom of shillitis...

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Beet Wagon posted:

Oh good, I was worried for a minute. I've been spending a lot of time thinking about how to survive hidden in a cargo crate for days at a time, and I know that's a symptom of shillitis...

Dont worry Beet Friend. I will exonerate you shortly. Still trying to figure out this imgur thing.

but the proof is damning.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Ok.. the proof is almost ready. The traitor will be unveiled. I am almost at the mountain top.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

I am unreasonably excited for another library of babel style reveal

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Beet Wagon posted:

I am unreasonably excited for another library of babel style reveal

I wish i were that clever.

Imgur is awful. How do you upload stuff? Why is this so hard?

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

grimcreaper posted:

Ok.. the proof is almost ready. The traitor will be unveiled. I am almost at the mountain top.

Will you be writing about it in your blog?

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Chalks posted:

Will you be writing about it in your blog?

I dont have a blog... And linking to a blog is a perma-bannable offense via Lowtax himself.

But the proof.. its here. I have it on imgur now.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

And heres the proof!

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

grimcreaper posted:

And heres the proof!

that's a self own

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

grimcreaper posted:

I wish i were that clever.

Imgur is awful. How do you upload stuff? Why is this so hard?

You know it's pretty ridiculous that people poo poo on imgur all the time. I have twice as many hours in imgur as I do in photobucket, and imgur's not even finished yet.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Beet Wagon posted:

You know it's pretty ridiculous that people poo poo on imgur all the time. I have twice as many hours in imgur as I do in photobucket, and imgur's not even finished yet.

I dont know how to imgur. I made an account after all these years to post pictures in this thread. Things such as this classic by Ryan Archer

Google Butt posted:

that's a self own

But they are the best :(

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Beet Wagon posted:

Lol I forgot about this particularly dumb scenario.

Does the box have a bed and toilet in it for long flights, or are you supposed to share with the pirates?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

A glimpse into the future

quote:

"The sheer time spent and money it took to make _____ is really a product of fairly directionless creative leadership" said the commenter, "Certainly _____________ has great, strong, ambitious ideas for his games. But he's a big believer in letting the details emerge along the way, rather than being planned out beyond even a rudimentary form. For most of the lifetime of _____, he was also CEO of the whole company, as well as Creative Director."

quote:

"I think that it was trying to do too much in certain areas rather than focus on the core stuff. The customisation engine was phenomenal for its time, it was fantastic, but you've got to think, is it really worth putting all the time and money into that one feature when you can't even get driving right? They had so many issues with the latency, performance as well, and I think people kind of just never took the opportunity to buckle down and say, 'Okay, here's the things we really need to focus on now.'"

quote:

As the game got towards the end of development, many staff started to have concerns. _______________' almost messianic quality meant people were ignoring them, convinced the man behind ______________, ____ and ____________ had everything in hand. Unfortunately, in lieu of a solid development schedule, vision for the future of the MMO and a tight control on budget, the senior management had hubris that would prove catastrophic.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-08-29-what-happened-to-gamings-waterworld

quote:

adding it was the only company he'd ever worked at where he'd received paid overtime, a far cry from the horror stories of crunch that emerge from other studios.

Ok, maybe not everything.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

grimcreaper posted:

I dont know how to imgur. I made an account after all these years to post pictures in this thread. Things such as this classic by Ryan Archer

But they are the best :(

you may feel that way, but that's an even trade for g0rf that i'm willing to take.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Lol I forgot about this particularly dumb scenario.

Does the box have a bed and toilet in it for long flights, or are you supposed to share with the pirates?

Well I think CIG walked the "must have a bed to save" thing back a while ago, but maybe they will implement some kind of quantum folding cot for commandos to use. That could create some emergent gameplay, where space hobos fight to the death over cargo crates big enough to fit their cot in

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

I actually love how a lot of the ships in Star Citizen have beds, even the tiny ones.

Most of them don't have room for plausibly sized fuel tanks, power plants, or even ammo for their guns (it's almost like artists given no direction but "make it look cool" don't think about such mundane things!)... but they have a bed and a crapper!

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

These are still growing in my yard

They are spicy as hell.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I bet this is what an "open development" for Star Wars: The Phantom Menace would've looked like.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

tooterfish posted:

I actually love how a lot of the ships in Star Citizen have beds, even the tiny ones.

Most of them don't have room for plausibly sized fuel tanks, power plants, or even ammo for their guns (it's almost like artists given no direction but "make it look cool" don't think about such mundane things!)... but they have a bed and a crapper!

I'm the fold out bed in the middle of the hallway

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

grimcreaper posted:

These are still growing in my yard

They are spicy as hell.

Looks like a Jalapeno.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

tuo posted:

Looks like a Jalapeno.

they look it but drat they are the spiciest peppers ive ever eaten. like hotter than habenero hot.

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire
What does FLJK stand for? For Love, Justice and Kilrathi?
I downloaded the manual, but it didn't tell.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Tippis posted:

:magical: How?

e: Wait, it says GPU rather than CPU. Still, how?

cooling is difficult in space so it's to be expected.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

I used to like Google Butt :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratmtattat
Mar 10, 2004
the hairdryer

Beexoffel posted:

What does FLJK stand for? For Love, Justice and Kilrathi?
I downloaded the manual, but it didn't tell.

Fleet Like Jeff K

• Locked thread