Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

xzzy posted:

And why not make the cruise ship out of whatever they make the lifeboats out of? Bunch of dummies!

Why not just attach huge helium balloons to the ship to keep it from sinking? In fact, design the ship so that it can fly through the air! An air-ship!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Why not just attach huge helium balloons to the ship to keep it from sinking? In fact, design the ship so that it can fly through the air! An air-ship!

Yeah but then some broad gets on with a staticy sweater and it's all "oooh the humanity!"

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

Cojawfee posted:

Yeah but then some broad gets on with a staticy sweater and it's all "oooh the humanity!"

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Geoj posted:

There's actually a theory that mirages caused by freak atmospheric conditions may have both casued the Titanic lookouts to not be able to spot the iceberg until it was too late, and prevented the crew of a nearby ship from seeing either the Titanic itself or its distress flares.

The Smithsonian Channel made a documentary about this titled "Titanic's Final Mystery" that's on Netflix.

That does not pass the ol' Occam's razor test.

It was dark and icebergs are hard to see.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Previa_fun posted:

:tinfoil: The Titanic never actually sunk though, the ship that sunk was the already damaged Olympic for the insurance money. :tinfoil:

While I don't give it any credence, it's a fun theory to think about anyway. I hope someone can explain why it's implausible.

It is implausible the same way faked moon landings, "9/11 was faked and the planes landed safely", and "crisis actor" conspiracy theories are implausible.

Which is to say all of it is bullshit made up by somewhat unhinged people who feel they are smarter than everyone else and therefore can figure out vast nonexistent conspiracies no one else can uncover.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
It's as implausible as the human caused global warming conspiracy. Talk about laughable ideas.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

SCA Enthusiast posted:

That does not pass the ol' Occam's razor test.

It was dark and icebergs are hard to see.

I didn't read the article, but let me tell you my opinion based on the headline!
:goonsay:

telegraph.co.uk posted:

Tim Maltin spent six years scouring previously unseen records and the results will be shown on television in an upcoming documentary, Titanic: Case Closed.

He believes a "haze" created by air currents caused the optical illusion - similar to the blur seen on a road during a warm day.

Mr Maltin analysed previously unseen weather records taken from more than 75 ship's logs from the week the liner sunk on 15th April 1912, killing more than 1,500 people.

He found that a unique set of weather conditions caused an abnormal bending of light known as "super refraction."

Despite the absolutely clear conditions that night, the mirage horizon camouflaged the iceberg and caused the lookouts to spot it too late on the ship's maiden voyage from England to New York.

Historian and author Mr Maltin says the illusion would also have disguised the emergency flares sent up by the ship's doomed crew from the vision of the nearby SS Californian.

He said: "For years Titanic's lookouts were not believed when they said the iceberg came out of a haze on that clear night, but now we know they were telling the truth.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Hey, the Iceberg Patrol is still in service though, and a daily ice limit product is made.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Ice_Patrol

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Geoj posted:

I didn't read the article, but let me tell you my opinion based on the headline!
:goonsay:

Calling a haze a "freak atmospheric condition" or a "mirage" is a stretch no matter what. Sometimes areas of fog happen even on clear nights. I can't stand when researchers make grandiose claims that definitively prove that super rare weather conditions or whatever were the cause for something. It suggests it could be the case, but hardly proves it.

epic bird guy fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Aug 27, 2016

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

SCA Enthusiast posted:

Calling a haze a "freak atmospheric condition" or a "mirage" is a stretch no matter what. Sometimes areas of fog happen even on clear nights. I can't stand when researchers make grandiose claims that definitively prove that super rare weather conditions or whatever were the cause for something. It suggests it could be the case, but hardly proves it.

:ssh: they're not talking about fog.

FFS I quoted the description of the phenomenon and apparently you couldn't even be bothered to read that much:

Read the drat article posted:

He found that a unique set of weather conditions caused an abnormal bending of light known as "super refraction."

Geoj fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Aug 28, 2016

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
You guys are being obnoxious

And no I didn't report this or anything else, for those who apparently care hard enough to think I did and shall go unnamed

Also, apparently the GAWR of a 6 lug semifloat chevy rearend is "less than that"

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

kastein posted:

And no I didn't report this or anything else, for those who apparently care hard enough to think I did and shall go unnamed

Also, apparently the GAWR of a 6 lug semifloat chevy rearend is "less than that"

SHIELD Flying Car has issues.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.

kastein posted:

with a rough count of cinder blocks and assuming that the bed is 100% full of sand and there isnt anything lighter buried, that payload would weigh in around 7100 lbs, maybe more if its wet sand.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

kastein posted:

poo poo, was this you hauling construction supplies?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
If it fits in the bed, it should be able to hold.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

iForge posted:

with a rough count of cinder blocks and assuming that the bed is 100% full of sand and there isnt anything lighter buried, that payload would weigh in around 7100 lbs, maybe more if its wet sand.

so about 3.5 times what the capacity is. Godamn.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I really wanna see what the axle housing looks like.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

And yet, it flew to an airport and landed safely. It's amazing how safe airplanes are these days.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Lime Tonics posted:

Just a little play in the suspension.

How soon does stuff like this start? I saw a Ford Focus that was probably a 2010-11 model on the interstate last week & the rear passenger wheel was almost this bad. One of those "gonna back off like half a mile & move over a couple lanes" paranoia situations when I saw it.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

:yikes:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

BOOTY-ADE posted:

How soon does stuff like this start? I saw a Ford Focus that was probably a 2010-11 model on the interstate last week & the rear passenger wheel was almost this bad. One of those "gonna back off like half a mile & move over a couple lanes" paranoia situations when I saw it.

It's probably hard to tell because anyone who would let it get that bad would just say "It was fine yesterday." A co-worker's car sounded like a C-130 while we were going to lunch. He said "You guys can hear that? I wonder what it is." Someone else chimed in with "that's your wheel bearing screaming until it dies, get it fixed dude." Though this is guy who, when someone had stuck gum to his window, thought he could get rid of it by just rolling the window down.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

What's funny is that it's not nearly as bad as it looks.

(Except for the fact that the pieces apparently came around the inboard side and punched a hole in the fuselage, depressurizing the aircraft. Oops.)

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

MrYenko posted:

What's funny is that it's not nearly as bad as it looks.

(Except for the fact that the pieces apparently came around the inboard side and punched a hole in the fuselage, depressurizing the aircraft. Oops.)

It landed at an airport, so I'd say better than it could be.

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?

Looks like the cone and first row of blades are there, meaning it seems it was not blades that caused the damage I know there is pressurized air fed into a cavity for preventing icing around the mouth of the engine - did that rupture in a fantastic way?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

poo poo, was this you hauling construction supplies?

Haha, nope. I only own jeep pickups.

I've probably come close to doing that to the dana 35 (GAWR 2770lbs when new and in perfect condition, including the weight of the back half of the truck) in the back of my MJ a few times with a half yard of roadbase gravel mix in the bed, though. That's about 1800lbs over the rear axle even if it's perfectly dry, and it wasn't. I really need to put a better axle and new rear springs in that thing.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

kastein posted:

Haha, nope. I only own jeep pickups.

I've probably come close to doing that to the dana 35 (GAWR 2770lbs when new and in perfect condition, including the weight of the back half of the truck) in the back of my MJ a few times with a half yard of roadbase gravel mix in the bed, though. That's about 1800lbs over the rear axle even if it's perfectly dry, and it wasn't. I really need to put a better axle and new rear springs in that thing.

Also a 2700 lb milling machine on a trailer rated for 1900 lbs hauled by an XJ with collapsed rear suspension.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Geoj posted:

:ssh: they're not talking about fog.

FFS I quoted the description of the phenomenon and apparently you couldn't even be bothered to read that much:

I did read that much. I don't believe it. I was saying it could have also been as simple as fog. You can't prove that absolutely bizarre conditions caused super refraction to happen on a night over 100 years ago, and claiming you can with certainty is just bs. Sure it could have happened, but its far from likely, or proven.

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Developing Smarter Mechanics.
Since 1989.
Well, to be fair, he makes a case for it in his documentary. He also captures super refraction under similar circumstances during the day near Newfoundland as well.

They also discuss that the Titanic also only had 50% of the lifeboat capacity because they had other safety features that should have prevented the vessel from going under.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

DefaultPeanut posted:

Looks like the cone and first row of blades are there, meaning it seems it was not blades that caused the damage I know there is pressurized air fed into a cavity for preventing icing around the mouth of the engine - did that rupture in a fantastic way?

The engine possibly had a compressor stall - basically a highly destructive backfire which blows all the compressed air/fuel out the front of the engine. It's very odd for it to happen at altitude though unless it ate a HUGE bird.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Or if it's a TF33 (JT3D for most of you). It's a loving attention getter if you've never heard it before.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I wonder when this poo poo fell out.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
:shittypop: That's uh, that's yours?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Good news, China is going to start making plane engines! http://www.bbc.com/news/business-37212009

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I wonder when this poo poo fell out.

On the plus side now you know where the driveline slop was.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
And (likely) the loud BANG when hitting potholes.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

scuz posted:

And (likely) the loud BANG when hitting potholes.

Well, there was a loud floorpan bang when I let off the throttle for awhile, but then I changed the shattered dogbone motor mount and it went away for a few months then came back recently.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Also a 2700 lb milling machine on a trailer rated for 1900 lbs hauled by an XJ with collapsed rear suspension.

Well yeah, but it was a rental trailer with full damage waiver!

(That tow really didn't feel very sketchy, I just wish I'd realized the front of the hitch crossbar tube was rotted so bad you could see daylight through it. I saw that when unhitching the trailer after dropping the milling machine off and nearly poo poo myself. Would have been nice if I'd realized the rear frame rails were rotted through over the rear axle before bothering to fix a bunch of other stuff on it, too.)

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

H110Hawk posted:

Good news, China is going to start making plane engines! http://www.bbc.com/news/business-37212009

Oh god. As someone that works with engineering on jet engine design and testing I can tell you that even the big players in the business are only starting to understand some of the ways metallurgy performs under the conditions you find in jet engines. Like, we figured out something new the other week that effects nearly every jet engine made since the 80s. The Chinese don't know any of this yet. That's scary.

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Aug 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Don't worry they're busy hacking their way into your systems right now