Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

This post is dedicated to all those who fell by the forums, for nothing is wasted, and every apparent failure is but a challenge to others.
Not really. In theory there should be no difference in sound quality, but you might get some extra features like looks good, is well built, lasts forever and doesn't catch fire. Just have a good look at the pictures and make sure you're not paying more for the same box with different screenprinting on it.

A Lone Girl Flier fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Aug 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

UGAmazing posted:

Awesome--thanks. Yeah I have a 5.1 setup. I'll get on ordering that, then! Would you recommend buying a moderately-priced one over the cheapest I can find? I figure spending $35 or $40 is a safer bet for decent quality than $10-15.

monoprice probably has their own branded one, they are usually pretty good and will replace dead ones if you ask.

UGAmazing
Jul 26, 2007

I buy used, damaged & broken Apple devices.
Perfect--thanks, guys. I'm ordering one today, and really glad I don't have to worry about selling my old receiver and buying a new one. :)

Rinaldi
Dec 29, 2008
With the previous talk of people violating basic rules of home theater design, where is a good place to learn that stuff in the first place?

Are there any recommended resources or is it just a matter of parsing AVS forum or googling a lot and sifting through the garbage?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Rinaldi posted:

With the previous talk of people violating basic rules of home theater design, where is a good place to learn that stuff in the first place?

Are there any recommended resources or is it just a matter of parsing AVS forum or googling a lot and sifting through the garbage?

There's good info on AVS but you can fall down the :spergin: rabbhithole really quick.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:
Besides AVS forum, there are lots and lots of white papers and articles etc on various websites. Some is good, some is crap. Audio and home theater is full of people that have no idea what they are talking about presenting bullshit as fact. Plus a ton of cargo cult 'science'. You have to read and read until you can hopefully tell most of the crap from the real info. It helps to have some knowledge of electronics and physics.

LmaoTheKid posted:

There's good info on AVS but you can fall down the :spergin: rabbhithole really quick.

It's :spergin: all the way down.

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology

LmaoTheKid posted:

There is good info there, but the biggest problem isn't even that, its the lack of clear rules and expectations for threads. No one on that forum ever bothers to write a proper OP, so what you end up with is a megathread on a topic, that actually began as a random 1 off question and then spiraled into 200 pages question and passive aggressive answers. Any attempt to request a clear write up just results in being told to read the thread, or being linked to the start of someone else 100 page build thread with the notion, that "this buy had a solution". Its just a terrible place to find single and decent answers, even though all the information is right there.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

emocrat posted:

There is good info there, but the biggest problem isn't even that, its the lack of clear rules and expectations for threads. No one on that forum ever bothers to write a proper OP, so what you end up with is a megathread on a topic, that actually began as a random 1 off question and then spiraled into 200 pages question and passive aggressive answers. Any attempt to request a clear write up just results in being told to read the thread, or being linked to the start of someone else 100 page build thread with the notion, that "this buy had a solution". Its just a terrible place to find single and decent answers, even though all the information is right there.

I forgot about that, but it is so true. I've never seen a forum with more meandering 100+ page threads with meaningless titles.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
There is a ton of pseudo science in the industry. However, acoustics is a lot harder to measure and theorize than something complex like race engine design. People mean well, but the variables in measurement, chaos, and perception all cloud the results.

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/ hometheatershack has a higher expert to newb ratio. littlemike hangs out there and offers lots of good sound (heh) advice on subwoofer and EQ related stuff. He's probably the second most knowledgable designer of horn subs in the industry. (Tom Danley being first and Bill Fitzmaurice being third)

the diysoundgroup forum http://www.hificircuit.com/community/ is also good. They're the guys who make diy speaker packages that you assemble at home, using SEOS Waveguide horns.

Ive found that the most knowledgeable forums tend to be the ones selling very good products for very cheap (comparatively). The pricier something is, the more bullshit tends to come with it.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum

emocrat posted:

I have a huge problem with what the mods consider "off topic" when asking a related question about a different device that could technically be cross posted between two threads. So if you do end up asking in the "right" thread nobody can help you, but the "wrong" thread is full of people that can help you.

And with any forum "DO A SEARCH" or "READ THE THREAD" are the most annoying answers since if you actually do a search you end up finding the question in a search and the answer is "do a search." So the search ends up with "do a search" as the result. gently caress YOU OTHER FORUMS FOREVER!

edit: but without some of the people on AVS forum I would have never gotten my projector to show a wider gamut with 4k blu rays.

Aeka 2.0 fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Aug 25, 2016

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology

Aeka 2.0 posted:

And with any forum "DO A SEARCH" or "READ THE THREAD" are the most annoying answers since if you actually do a search you end up finding the question in a search and the answer is "do a search." So the search ends up with "do a search" as the result. gently caress YOU OTHER FORUMS FOREVER!

Yeah, totally. In all seriousness, nothing has made me appreciate SA as much as AVSForum. Its goddamn infuriating over there and the time I spent reading it before I built my last theater made really, really love that over here, if you do that kinda poo poo, you get gassed and maybe banned. The quality of the information and help I can get in IYG and SHSC is amazing.

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

Look upon my bathroom joists, ye females, and despair.
Aperion Audio has a decent number of non-salesy articles on basic home-theater design and how to pick the right components. Many of the articles have links to other articles that can go deeper if you're interested. Pretty good read for some basic no-bullshit answers to common HT questions.

https://www.aperionaudio.com/blog/aperion-university

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

8-12' viewing distance is 27-36" screen size? Is that a joke?

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

sellouts posted:

8-12' viewing distance is 27-36" screen size? Is that a joke?

You'd want to be that far away if it were a 30"+ CRT I suppose.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

falz posted:

You'd want to be that far away if it were a 30"+ CRT I suppose.

I see all those charts and recommendations and that still feels so weird to do that for me regardless of the resolution, it's like watching a postage stamp. A chart recommended for me (distance of 5-6 feet) a 40 inch screen and in the store that looked really small to me, I'm so used to sitting like 2 feet away from a 24-inch+ screen that anything that doesn't take up your whole vision looks really small.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I have a 65" and it's about 15ft away. I used to have a 55" and it felt too small and was hard to read text when playing video games.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Aug 30, 2016

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

We've gotten used to bigger and bigger screens, HD images also mean you can sit pretty much point blank and the image is still fantastic which leads to the thought that our screens are too small. I'm maybe 10' away from a 46" and it definitely feels a little on the small side these days. That 'guide' seems a little old school though.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.

Be still, my heart. First time in all my life I've owned a top of the line anything. Can't wait to get Dolby Atmos/DTS:X going in my new house next month.

Geology
Nov 6, 2005

suddenlyissoon posted:

Be still, my heart. First time in all my life I've owned a top of the line anything. Can't wait to get Dolby Atmos/DTS:X going in my new house next month.

Jesus that's a hell of receiver! Looking forward to seeing the rest of your setup! You're going to utilize the ".2" part right?

Also what are those objects in the background? They look like animal traps?

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Quick question: I see lots of setup diagrams for stereo have the speakers firing in the exact same direction (i.e. directly away from the wall that they're backed up to) but when I see pictures of people's setups they sometimes have the speakers aimed directly at the listener instead. What's the difference?

Dogcow
Jun 21, 2005

Filthy Hans posted:

Quick question: I see lots of setup diagrams for stereo have the speakers firing in the exact same direction (i.e. directly away from the wall that they're backed up to) but when I see pictures of people's setups they sometimes have the speakers aimed directly at the listener instead. What's the difference?

The nerds call it "toe in". The theory is that since higher frequencies are more directional they should be clearer or whatever when aimed directly at the listening position. On the other hand doing that too much can maybe hurt the stereo separation and "image" a little. It's really just personal preference, try it both ways and see what you like (or if you can even tell a difference).

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Dogcow posted:

The nerds call it "toe in". The theory is that since higher frequencies are more directional they should be clearer or whatever when aimed directly at the listening position. On the other hand doing that too much can maybe hurt the stereo separation and "image" a little. It's really just personal preference, try it both ways and see what you like (or if you can even tell a difference).

Thanks duder

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
It's a little more in depth than that. Some tweeter designs are very good at keeping a flat response off axis. (Ie seos waveguide)

Other types of tweeters are good directly in front of the tweeter and go to poo poo off axis. Good speaker companies will publish these measurements.

OGDanDogg
Sep 16, 2002
Any recommendations on an HDMI over ethernet extender? I recently wallmounted my tv and would like to now shift my a/v stuff from "crappy table under tv" to "build-in area under the stairs" about 10 horizontal feet away. The wiring would have to go up and through the ceiling and back down again, but still nothing that should stress an extender. Should I just run a 30ft HDMI cable? I play on using a harmony RF remote for the IR aspect, but the HDMI extender reviews are all over the place. Also, my wife is concerned about lag for gaming reasons, and I can't find any reviews that address that.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

I just ran 50 foot hdmi cables from my equipment closet to tv locations.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

just buy good high quality HDMI cables, 50ft is doable.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

OGDanDogg posted:

Also, my wife is concerned about lag for gaming reasons, and I can't find any reviews that address that.

How long does 50ft take at the speed of light?

OGDanDogg
Sep 16, 2002

evobatman posted:

How long does 50ft take at the speed of light?

My understanding was that HDMI/Ethernet extenders have processing delays, but point noted. I guess my reticence for HDMI is that HDMI cable ends require bigger holes and I'm going diagonally across the first floor of a 2 story house.

poppingseagull
Apr 12, 2004

OGDanDogg posted:

My understanding was that HDMI/Ethernet extenders have processing delays, but point noted. I guess my reticence for HDMI is that HDMI cable ends require bigger holes and I'm going diagonally across the first floor of a 2 story house.

There is a slight delay, not really noticeable but can add up with other devices adding their own delays. A lot of extenders out there work but may have other issues, especially the cheaper ones. Things like sync detect not working and not getting the highest supported HDMI data rates.

For 50 ft you shouldn't need an HDBaseT extender unless you really want to avoid running a new wire to upgrade, say, 10 years away. In that case you are spending 8x the amount of money on something like an Atlona AT-UHD series and CAT7 cable (seriously, data rates for uncompressed 4K/60 with HDR are crazy).

I say a 50 ft HDMI cable is probably going to be okay, it will certainly be the cheapest way. Just keep in mind it will likely fail past 1080p/60. 4K/30 might work, but I wouldn't bet on it. Once you get towards the edge there will be annoying issues, like some source devices working, some not. If you want 4K, give a shot at an Active HDMI cable (look for redmere) as that will get better results. Just check everything for HDCP2.2 and 4K support these days. Lots of older stuff floating around.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Best thing to do is buy the cable and plug it in to your kit before going to the effort of pulling it through walls/under floors...

I say this as someone who was supplied cables that I was told worked but in reality, didn't. I used the lovely cable as a pull wire but it really wasn't fun doing it.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
I have the same "under the stairs" setup with multiple 50' HDMI feeds. I used whatever monoprice cables and they were fine. Hell one of them is extended another 10' or so using a magic passive coupler thing.

Look at their 4*2 and 4*4 HDMI matrix switches while doing this if you have multiple displays. And the ir extenders that pop on the end of HDMI cables.

OGDanDogg
Sep 16, 2002
Thanks for all the responses.

I will definitely test anything I do out in the open prior to any sort of installation. For IR, I plan on buying an RF harmony remote and it should do the IR blasting for me as well as allow me to control the PS4 with something other than the controller. That was my path to get a single purpose extender without having to buy one that did everything. I already did some recessed lighting madness in the ceiling and I have my joist stringing technique down (hint: come at it from both ends with magnets on a stick) , so I have somewhat of a path forward, but I certainly don't look forward to the transition from wall to ceiling and back, although I have attic access above the TV.

I will certainly think some more about the feasibility of pulling the larger HDMI cable through, as they're cheaper and in theory fool proof if you don't get a crappy cable.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

You just need to be careful pulling it through places as you can find that on testing it'll work fine but after it's been tugged a bunch through walls or what have you that it doesn't. Some cables are built more delicate than others internally. If it has a fuckload of shielding inside you should be good, just don't pull on the plugs and make sure you tape them over as pulling a 50ft cable through a tiny void is no fun, especially when it emerges and the plug has gotten caught and destroyed itself. That's a mistake you only make once.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.

Geology posted:

Jesus that's a hell of receiver! Looking forward to seeing the rest of your setup! You're going to utilize the ".2" part right?

Also what are those objects in the background? They look like animal traps?

This is the "storage area" for all my wife's stuff...it's some odd contraption to hang on the wall and put wine bottles in. Basically, I don't even freaking know...she likes "Fixer Upper" too much.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

New set up, loving love it

Onkyo HT-S7700 receiver and 5.1.2 surround speakers with a 65" Samsung UN65H7150 (had the tv for a while now).

The receiver/spearkers were much bigger than I expected (81lbs!) and the sound blows everything away. I wish I could convey it over youtube. I was like :staredog: when I heard one of these go off in Battlefront

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWshUMhFBV4

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I love when people realise JUST HOW AMAZING a decent sound setup makes games and movies. Yeah a big screen is great but if you haven't got something capable of kicking the sound out well you're really missing out.

Looks great, enjoy!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Get a real sub next time and have your mind blown again.

Kidding. Enjoy your new setup and don't get sucked down the rabbit hole with the rest of us suckers.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

My setup just got a major shot in the arm.

Well not quite, but I did dumpster dive a free 19" Samsung TV at work today. It just bugs me when people throw away perfectly functional non-broken stuff.

It'll make a fine Chromecast/RetroPie/whatever monitor for my workbench, once I get a cheap HDMI audio extractor and a HDMI->DVI cable (no HDMI inputs). S-Video and SCART RGB too, so it'll make a decent monitor for old consoles.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Sep 21, 2016

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Sometimes you're in a hurry to get out of a place and waiting for someone to take something off your hands isn't worth the time or effort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

In this case, I actually met the person who was throwing it away. Apparently it was deemed too old because it doesn't have HDMI inputs, and because it won't work right with our new set top box that they're testing. I don't know if they tried to use various adapters and whatnot to make it accept HDMI, but I guess it wasn't worth the effort when you can just order a brand new TV on the company's dime instead.

At least they were putting it in the scrap electronics containers that get taken away for recycling, and not in the normal trash compactor.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Sep 21, 2016