Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
Tbqh, I think Adore was right about not belonging there. You might be really into tuvan throat singing, hell you might be the loving best at it, and that's awesome! Do you! But you probably shouldn't go try to win American idol with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Combed Thunderclap posted:

That would certainly be in keeping with the producers' decision to mop some of the best mechanics of Survivor for this season. (Which is a good thing.)

Also, Chad Sell's recap/drag queen interview/art dump for Episode 1 is up! :swoon: My favs:

(If you like his stuff don't forget to buy it on etsy or support it on Patreon.)

Chad also apparently did an interview with Tatianna a couple years ago that he links to, which led me to discover that Tati had only performed 3 times before she went on Season 2 and that she had never done an impression before she did her Britney Spears impression. It'll be interesting to see if she can recapture the genius if she makes it to Snatch Game. Which is next episode, I think??

Oh my god I love these! :swoon:

Also I don't know if anyone caught the bumps on Logo but Michelle did a bit on why she's so hard on the queens as a judge and it was basically "if no one ever pushes you outside your comfort zone you never know your potential" and I really liked that mentality.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

big black turnout posted:

Tbqh, I think Adore was right about not belonging there. You might be really into tuvan throat singing, hell you might be the loving best at it, and that's awesome! Do you! But you probably shouldn't go try to win American idol with it.

Yeah I kind of felt like that too. It's not a great strategy to enter any season of drag race thinking you're going to just do your regular thing and that will be enough to win, and that's even less viable for All Stars.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Adore was walked through her season, now she's LaGanja feeling very attacked

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

I like Adore. I think she's a talented performer and singer.

I don't think dressing like my lesbian aunt quantifies as drag.

Edit: My FRUMPY lesbian aunt.

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Aug 30, 2016

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
Adore is a stellar drag queen with severe confidence issues, so when she's confronted with someone completely critiquing her like Michelle has done most of her time on Drag Race, she falls apart. But when she's on, she's on. I don't expect her lasting beyond next episode, unfortunately, though.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

"Muh drag aesthetic!"
:qqsay:

e: gently caress you Phi Phi

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Sep 2, 2016

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

C:enter:###
Raven and JuJu? Yes, please..

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Watrick posted:

Raven and JuJu? Yes, please..

Not an empty quote.

Oh no Roxxy. Why would you do that?

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Sep 2, 2016

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

"It's like Little League softball, and she has no arms... or legs... it's sad."

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Strong back row tonight.

Front row? Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Not an empty quote.

Oh no Roxxy. Why would you do that?

That is a question none of us could possibly answer.

Holy poo poo. Has Shangela been JuJu this entire time and I didn't know???

And is Ru trying to channel Tempest?

Watrick fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Sep 2, 2016

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

"Something told me"

>cut to Phi Phi

"I'd bomb if I did Sophia Vegara"

> cut to Phi Phi again.

That filler bitch.

Also Alaska is perfect and I love her :allears:

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Sep 2, 2016

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

My problem with this season is that the LSFYL doesn't really mean much in terms of adding drama. As long as the queens stick to the "whoever gets dumped on hardest by the judges gets eliminated", there's never a surprise as to who gets sent home, no chance of redemption for someone who did poorly in the challenge, and there's not really much reason to care who wins the LSFYL.

Of course, the first queen to break that agreed upon plan and dump a contender who had a bad week, will be amazing. But until then... it's kind of boring.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

The Berzerker posted:

My problem with this season is that the LSFYL doesn't really mean much in terms of adding drama. As long as the queens stick to the "whoever gets dumped on hardest by the judges gets eliminated", there's never a surprise as to who gets sent home, no chance of redemption for someone who did poorly in the challenge, and there's not really much reason to care who wins the LSFYL.

Of course, the first queen to break that agreed upon plan and dump a contender who had a bad week, will be amazing. But until then... it's kind of boring.

You know it's going to happen.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

You know it's going to happen.

It had better.

Meanwhile, who knew that Alyssa saying "Barbara, please!" would kill like it did?

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
phi phi reminding me why I hate phi phi

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.
"Something told me" -camera cuts to phi phi-
"dont be sorry be fierce because you are an all star" I could hear Ru thinking "oh god dammit not AGAIN"
I don't normally have trouble figuring out who wins based on the lipsync but they telegraphed Alaska winning so hard that Katya may as well have not even been there.

Overall though, that was a great Snatch Game, exactly what I expected from All Stars. I didn't have high hopes for Phi Phi after season 4's fuckery so I'm glad she did as well as she did in it.
I still wish Adore hadn't gone Shannel on us though, I was looking forward to her weird lesbian drag.

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

Me last week: Man, Adore looks strung out as gently caress.
Me this week: yep, strung out as gently caress.

Bet her departure had nothing to do with drag. Hope I'm wrong.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Adore does lesbian drag when she's not in geish. she's not looking great and I really hope she starts taking care of herself...

also what the hell is with the new LSFYL format?! it's so lifeless now.

the bottom 3 had me flummoxed as hell, and seeing Tati go was way rougher than anticipated. really wanted her to be the black horse of this season.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
As someone who fell in love with her the moment she started kicking rear end as Britney in the very first Snatch Game, I'm very sad to see Tatianna go so soon. I'm glad she got to shine last episode, but really hope we get to see more of her.

I'm a bit disappointed to see some season 4 Phi Phi shenanigans, but I truly don't think she was acting out of malice, like with Jiggly. Maybe she really was just giving advice after noticing that Ru couldn't even tell who Roxxxy was supposed to be. Plus, Roxxxy's defended her on Twitter, and clearly chose not to blame Phi Phi on the runway. You could tell that Phi Phi was super guilty that Roxxxy bombed and was afraid of being called out. There's no way she would risk looking like the villain again by purposely giving bad advice.

Additionally, her comment to Alyssa was technically true in that it was a very "Alyssa" Joan Crawford. So maybe she can't help critiquing others in a quasi-constructive way.

gandlethorpe fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Sep 2, 2016

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Even though I had heard about Adore leaving early, this was a lot rougher to watch. It seems like she had developed a real friendship with Michelle, and was just utterly floored when Michelle came for her the way she did. While we know, and she knows, that she could have done more to fit the show's aesthetic, I get why she quit. I couldn't tell though if Ru was pissed, or sad.

I totally think PhiPhi was being shady and playing mind games with Roxxxy at least. You would think though that Roxxxy of all people would recognize that.

I think Katya's Bjork could've been better, and it was pretty derivative of Kristen Wiig's Bjork, but it worked. And while I really don't know anything about Mae West, I should never have doubted Alaska's ability to perform.

And yeah, I second being a little bummed about Tatianna going home. While I was not happy that she was cast, and the one time I saw her perform live she was completely mediocre, she completely blew me away in the season premiere. Plus, she really was the underdog, given that she wasn't really friends with any of the other girls, and I always find myself rooting for an underdog. But that Ariana Grande, gurl...

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Tatiana's Arianna Grande was so incredibly bad I had no sympathy during the teary begging to stay bit about how much she had to show. I'm glad Alaska didn't fall for it either. Its goddamn Snatch game. You have time to prepare and are guaranteed not to be tied to anyone else when its time to perform.

And I'm glad Adore is gone too. Don't need 4 more episodes worth of being a bummer and unable to cope with criticism on a show built around it. Michelle is powerless this season! Blatantly disregard her advice and creatively, gloriously defy her early 90's self-written drag laws! This was a chance to build an even stronger "Adore" character. See how upset you can make Michelle each week with minimal makeup a body reverse-padded for maximum hogness.

Wasted opportunity all around.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Call me a cynic but I think part of Adore's logic is "I got run off all-stars for my drag aesthetic buy my album/t-shirt" so she kind of had her exit plan laid out to deploy at the first moment her lovely drag was critiqued.

Also Phi Phi is just a filler queen who exists to stir up drama as the show slowly meanders its way to crowing one of the obvious winners. Does anyone thing she's going all the way? Then again I remember thinking the same thing about Violet in season 7 and.... :haw:

Also I'm unexpectedly upset about about Tatiana as well. She was def the underdog this season but at the same time that Ariana Grande was... bad.

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Sep 2, 2016

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Ginger Minj: Also on this season.

I'm sorry to see Tatianna go, but rumor has it she returns and places not too badly

Alyssa was Alyssa as Joan Crawford, it was fine. Katya's Bjork was alright but she threw that lipsync so she wouldn't have to choose. Alaska is out for blood. PhiPhi can't seem to help herself from being PhiPhi.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Todrick is the most useless judge

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Pellisworth posted:

Todrick is the most useless judge

I have no idea why he's there.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Chaotic Flame posted:

I have no idea why he's there.

Sex. With Ru. He does it well enough to get that coveted gig.

Which is kind of impressive.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
It makes a lot of sense to have judges from previous seasons because they've seen the queens before and can comment on growth and stuff.

I don't think Todrick has said anything remotely funny/entertaining it's just "wow I love your look."

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
That was about the extent of his witty banter of Ru's game show

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

Todrick comes off as the archetypical tool. Compared to Ross, he is bottom of the barrel. He doesn't have the charm or the adorableness that Ross emanates.

Hopefully they get rid of him and Carson for S9, but I doubt it.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Carson at least, for me, is a neutral. Something about Todrick just really gets under my skin.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

I'm not a fan, but I do find him really charismatic. It's obvious how he got the gig.

criscodisco posted:

Something about Todrick just really gets under my skin.

But that's still totally true.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
Definitely agree that this format takes all the drama out of lsfyl. I was hoping the show would pick up after the intro episode but then a bunch of this episode got eaten up by adore being stupid, so I'm pretty disappointed from that angle.

Also, as the founder and sole member of the Bring Back Santino Rice Fan Club, I...

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I do rugret saying I was happy that Todrick was judging in the OP, I may have to fix that.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Still better than Santino "the human police sketch" Rice.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

big black turnout posted:

Definitely agree that this format takes all the drama out of lsfyl. I was hoping the show would pick up after the intro episode but then a bunch of this episode got eaten up by adore being stupid, so I'm pretty disappointed from that angle.

Also, as the founder and sole member of the Bring Back Santino Rice Fan Club, I...

Nah I likes Santino too, and thought his high-fashion biased critiques were useful.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Carson is sometimes funny, but I literally forget Todrick is in the room. I don't dislike him, I just literally don't even notice him.

I was sad to see Tatiana go. Not because I thought she had a chance at the crown, but because I like her and I think she was set up. Phi Phi absolutely deserved to be in the bottom three, and if she had been I suspect that either Katya or Alaska would have sent her rear end home. Her Snatch Game was okay, but that lumpy-chested half-assed bullshit runway was more unforgivable for All Stars than Tatiana's medicore Snatch.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
http://imgur.com/a/Uzb2a

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Please tell me those are real

• Locked thread