Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Yvetal tried to turn Pikachu into stone, he is histories greatest monster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Calaveron posted:

They absolutely were working on Pokemon Z right? What was the reason they shelved it?

kalos was so boring they couldn't think up enough good ideas to justify a third game

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

DoctorWhat posted:

The great tragedy of not getting Pokemon Z is that we didn't get a version of that big sundial dedicated to the cover legendary.

Or, in other words, a Zygarde Clock.

If I recall, one of the NPCs in that town supposes that there must be a moondial or a structure similar to the Anistar sundial somewhere in the world or something.

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop

oddium posted:

does this help

Not even Bulbagarden staff believe this poo poo.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
X/Y now seem like proof of concept for making Pokemon handheld games 3D, and Sun and Moon seem to represent the full implementation based on successful testing. people are normally sized in the overworld now, there's no grid, etc.

Maybe at some point they were intending to make Z, and certainly there's evidence for it, but what I think may have happened is that they just got antsy and wanted to clear the table, and springboard off the innovations in X/Y to bigger and better things rather than making a slightly improved remake of the game they already made.
It might also be that the brain trust made a decision to stop making third versions.

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

So, which one is the dead mom?

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Zygarde is insanely cool an all of his forms and he'll defeat Mega Rayquaza for the top spot.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Txn posted:

The last one, I think.

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

Dexie posted:

The last one, I think.
That's a bit disappointing, I was expecting her to be the fish brain.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Txn posted:

Deep down inside, all of them are

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

it turns out the real dead mom is the friends we made along the way

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Brother Entropy posted:

it turns out the real dead mom is the friends we made along the way

Dead moms, living moms...

That is only the selfish perception of people.
Truly skilled trainers should try to win with their favorites.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Txn posted:

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
It's a shame Pokemon Z got canned, because I really liked Gen 6 and it was the first Pokemon game I really go into since Gen 2. ORAS has more features than X/Y and effectively makes them outdated but I really prefer Kalos and its selection of Pokemon over Hoenn.

Hell, you know, I would also be down for another remake of Gen 1 in the Gen 6/7 engine because even FireRed\LeafGreen is feeling pretty outdated. It would be especially awesome if you could go to Johto in the postgame like you could go to Kanto in Gen 2. If they did that, they could essentially remake the first two gens in one game.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Is there any evidence they were aiming for Z?

I mean, X/Y had hints at Hoenn in it, and it has at least two blantant Easter eggs that reference Alola.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Zodack posted:

I mean, X/Y had hints at Hoenn in it, and it has at least two blantant Easter eggs that reference Alola.

All the Zygarde stuff they're adding to Sun/Moon and have been doing in the anime (current season named XY&Z) were the biggest indicators. There's also a few totally unused areas in X/Y that were probably going to be turned into things in Z.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Zodack posted:

It feels like Z moves might have been more fitting Ina different game than Sun or Moon

Also all the Zygrade this sure

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
What were the Alola hints?

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

What were the Alola hints?

The Strange Souvenir is blatantly a Tapu something, and there's also a guy who pretty much references the artificial island in Alola.

Zodack fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Aug 30, 2016

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I don't know what things youre talking about even. tapu? artificial island?

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Super No Vacancy posted:

I don't know what things youre talking about even. tapu? artificial island?

Each island on Alola has a guardian diety named a Tapu _____. See: Tapu Koko, the Guardian of Melemele island.

As for the artificial island, the Alola region has four regular islands and a small artificial one in the middle. No one knows what it is or what it's for, but the promos for the game keep saying "and one artificial island" so...

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Here it is, the unironically best fake pokemon.

http://capx.wikia.com/wiki/Peppit
http://capx.wikia.com/wiki/Hoppanero
http://capx.wikia.com/wiki/Scovalope

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Hoppanero is an incredible pokemon name

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Zodack posted:

As for the artificial island, the Alola region has four regular islands and a small artificial one in the middle. No one knows what it is or what it's for, but the promos for the game keep saying "and one artificial island" so...

Since standard Pokemon game stuff is byebye, I really hope that the artificial island is just a big stadium where the trainers of the region go to fight in tournaments to determine the champion. Like what the anime does. It always felt really underwhelming to be fighting the top trainers and the Champion with no spectators.

Also at least probably one Champion would have been a sore loser and since there were no witnesses, knocked you out with a pillow full of batteries then chucked your body down Victory Road's waterfall.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I always assumed that the leagues were like Iron Chef and you don't actually get the title of champion by beating them, you just get to say you beat them.

This requires intense mental gymnastics to account for the ending of RBY but makes all the other games make more sense.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

More than anything Sage does a really good job of emulating Sugimori's artstyle and it does wonders for the designs.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Countblanc posted:

More than anything Sage does a really good job of emulating Sugimori's artstyle and it does wonders for the designs.

Was the actual game any good? I never played it but is it all original pokemon with gen 5 mechanics? Are there any new moves and abilities?

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

cheetah7071 posted:

I always assumed that the leagues were like Iron Chef and you don't actually get the title of champion by beating them, you just get to say you beat them.

This requires intense mental gymnastics to account for the ending of RBY but makes all the other games make more sense.

BW's endgame also hinges on this, with N taking Alder's spot.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Gammatron 64 posted:

Hell, you know, I would also be down for another remake of Gen 1 in the Gen 6/7 engine because even FireRed\LeafGreen is feeling pretty outdated. It would be especially awesome if you could go to Johto in the postgame like you could go to Kanto in Gen 2. If they did that, they could essentially remake the first two gens in one game.

I was honestly expecting this for the anniversary. It seems like such an easy, obvious idea, you know?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

Was the actual game any good? I never played it but is it all original pokemon with gen 5 mechanics? Are there any new moves and abilities?

It hasn't come out and is progressing very slowly, though still progressing apparently. Like someone said a while back, we live in the worst possible reality where Pokemon Uranium is the fan pokemon game that actually managed to successfully release during a high period of poke-mania, and we'll be lucky of Sage comes out 3 years from now.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
There's some new moves and abilities though, yeah. Here's a few of my favorites:

Content: The bearer recovers 1/16th of its maximum HP at the end of each turn in which it did not use a Physical or Special move.
Malice: The damage taken by an opponent from secondary damage (e.g. Life Orb, Spikes, weather, other end-of-round damage) is increased by 50%. Does not stack with ally's Malice.
Quickdraw: The priority of all moves of all Pokémon becomes 0. Detect, Endure, Protect, Quick Guard, and Wide Guard are unaffected.

Though there's some repeat moves/items/abilities since this was made during Gen 5 and some were just straight up used in gen 6 in some form.

My dream was that Showdown would make a separate tier for Sage-mons since I think it'd be a cool meta to explore.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Countblanc posted:

It hasn't come out and is progressing very slowly, though still progressing apparently. Like someone said a while back, we live in the worst possible reality where Pokemon Uranium is the fan pokemon game that actually managed to successfully release during a high period of poke-mania, and we'll be lucky of Sage comes out 3 years from now.

dang

Dexie posted:

I was honestly expecting this for the anniversary. It seems like such an easy, obvious idea, you know?

They should just stop doing remakes and third versions altogether.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Dexie posted:

The Arceus you catch isn't the actual creator god. It's just an avatar of the real thing.

It's one of the 'thousand hands' that the Pokedex describes him as having.

I choose to believe this about all the cosmic level Legendaries you capture.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

dang

They should just stop doing remakes and third versions altogether.

I'd be okay with it if they remade the Sinnoh games.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Calaveron posted:

Can you really describe that which existed before time because He willed it into existence and will exist after the end because He willed it so as just "super strong" and "super rare"?

yeah

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Sage has a Pokemon called Cahokisect and that owns.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
anyone who doesn't want to see an upgraded sinnoh underground can get the heck out of this thread.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Been driving myself nuts trying to catch Azelf in Omega Ruby. I keep getting the little bastard down to 1HP and making him fall asleep, but he still breaks out of scores of Ultra Balls. Is it worth using my Master Ball on him, or is there a harder to catch target I should save it for?

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Countblanc posted:

There's some new moves and abilities though, yeah. Here's a few of my favorites:

Content: The bearer recovers 1/16th of its maximum HP at the end of each turn in which it did not use a Physical or Special move.
Malice: The damage taken by an opponent from secondary damage (e.g. Life Orb, Spikes, weather, other end-of-round damage) is increased by 50%. Does not stack with ally's Malice.
Quickdraw: The priority of all moves of all Pokémon becomes 0. Detect, Endure, Protect, Quick Guard, and Wide Guard are unaffected.

Though there's some repeat moves/items/abilities since this was made during Gen 5 and some were just straight up used in gen 6 in some form.

My dream was that Showdown would make a separate tier for Sage-mons since I think it'd be a cool meta to explore.

Yeah, Stealth Rock needed a damage buff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The Zombie Guy posted:

Been driving myself nuts trying to catch Azelf in Omega Ruby. I keep getting the little bastard down to 1HP and making him fall asleep, but he still breaks out of scores of Ultra Balls. Is it worth using my Master Ball on him, or is there a harder to catch target I should save it for?

Don't use your Master Ball on Azelf. But, you can do better than Ultra Balls. Dusk Balls at night, Timer Balls after 10 turns, and Quick Balls on the first turn all are significantly more effective than Ultra Balls. Give yourself, or get a friend to give you, a Catching O-Power before you start the battle.