Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
So this is like the nice guy version of the BFC Bad With Money thread?

A guy I used to be friends with was everything nice guy, except for the fedora. No education, no interests outside of metal, weed, video games, MMA, and drinking. Rage quitting one food delivery job after another, living at home. 28 years old.

He still thinks he deserves a "hot chick." Gets upset at his friends when they wind up with the girl he was creeping on, gets used for free weed and rides by clearly uninterested girls.

I got to see a complete meltdown once. Some young and cute girl at one of his sub shop jobs was offering him money to marry her for a green card. He asked me to advise him and meet up with her and her friends. He would actually go through with it.... as long as she would sleep with him X times a week and share an apartment. She wanted no part of that. We go out at a bar one night and he's trying to push his idea of what he wants on her, she's deflecting it, and he decides he's had enough and makes me give him a ride home. I was having a good time :( While he sends her a flood of angry texts, he reads them out to me. "Should I send that?" "Yeah... go for it" The standards: I'm a nice guy, I would treat you so well, I'm not an rear end in a top hat, etc, but the one that stood out was "I got a big dick, you're missing out" Poetic.

He turned his sights on me sometime last year, with a dozen angry facebook messages, and haven't talked to him since.

I've been the overemotional, overreacting guy before in the past, but some of the things I've seen here and on reddit are unsettling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Pick posted:

as someone who has known me for a good while irl, yes, you have chided me many many many times about my excessive patience and undeserved kindness for mans

lmao...'for mans'...

just lol. Okay, you womyns...

That being said, I actually don't find pick or troposphere half as bad as trex.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

This is why goons should never talk about themselves.

MikeyLikesIt
Sep 25, 2012
Alright enough about Pick, I want to hear more about her one legged friend.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

Pick posted:

they do, i just need to find one who will date me :v:

i have some who are friends. who have put me in some sort of zone of friendship, if you will

nice girls finish last pick

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

MikeyLikesIt posted:

Alright enough about Pick, I want to hear more about her one legged friend.

she is awesome and i give her materials for her spells because she is a witch

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Ratjaculation posted:

No point in getting a nice yacht mate, whore bitches will just jump on the first rusty tug that has cash

Oh I'm just getting it so I can call myself the captain.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

lazorexplosion posted:

This is why goons should never talk about themselves.

Amen brother preach it.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Azuth0667 posted:

Oh I'm just getting it so I can call myself the captain.

m'cap'n

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

No fedoras, katannas, trenchcoats, or lovely booze allowed on board :colbert:.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Travis343 posted:

tha share z0ne is a really good web page

gently caress you beat me to it lol

fuck. marry. t-rex
Jan 23, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

CrazyLoon posted:

lmao...'for mans'...

just lol. Okay, you womyns...

That being said, I actually don't find pick or troposphere half as bad as trex.

Come at me,

Hug in a Can
Aug 1, 2010

NICE FLAMINGO
kind heart
fierce mind
brave spirit

:h: be good and try hard! :h:

Pick posted:

she is awesome and i give her materials for her spells because she is a witch

I like her already... you have some good material for that!

one time one of my bf's friends was dumped, and he told people he was dumped for "a lesbian magician"
I was like, "that owns" but it turns out that she was just Wiccan, which is way less cool. she doesn't even know one card trick.

mystery the pua would never do this to me.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
I don't think there's that much between a regular guy and a moderately hosed up nice guy, just experience with women or people in general. I know that kinda hosed up stance to take, but sometimes it helps to compartmentalize the world for me in that way. I mean most people could flip between the two by changing a few things, that's why it so hard to get a good reading on folks.

dads_work_files
May 14, 2008

important_document.avi

It seems that for some mysterious reason every goon posting in this thread has extensive personal experience with gross nerdy misogynists :confused:

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
The world is full of assholes are you really that dense

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V

Stinky_Pete posted:

the takeaway from that book is that you have to think about what the other person wants and truly give a poo poo, there is no game

Faking that you give a poo poo is just as good as giving a poo poo. It's all in the other person's head. The whole point is that you can affect other peoples' behavior via your own and that the idea of being genuine is in and of itself a sham. Because if you are actively prompting yourself to take a genuine interest then is that interest genuine? So the whole house of cards fall down, and you realize you have to behave in a way that is expedient to your goals while maintaining the integrity of yourself and those you're dealing with.

Which is manipulative and akin to bartering, yet it is the heart of all social interaction.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It works because a lot of people are actually pretty cool, and when you take the time to see the good in them you love them.

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:

Whatever town that guy lives in looks lovely, but in a beautiful way.

fuck. marry. t-rex
Jan 23, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Mr. Belding posted:

Faking that you give a poo poo is just as good as giving a poo poo. It's all in the other person's head. The whole point is that you can affect other peoples' behavior via your own and that the idea of being genuine is in and of itself a sham. Because if you are actively prompting yourself to take a genuine interest then is that interest genuine? So the whole house of cards fall down, and you realize you have to behave in a way that is expedient to your goals while maintaining the integrity of yourself and those you're dealing with.

Which is manipulative and akin to bartering, yet it is the heart of all social interaction.

Cool expert on social interaction, over here.

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V

Pick posted:

It works because a lot of people are actually pretty cool, and when you take the time to see the good in them you love them.

I absolutely agree. Yet if someone didn't feel a genuine desire to give people that chance, your advice to them (and mine) would still be to give them that chance. Now they aren't being genuine in order to achieve an end, which is the definition of manipulative. And yet, it is the right call, and is the best way to live that I know of.

Mr. Belding fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Aug 30, 2016

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Rondette posted:

It was done in response to this btw

:thejoke:

And you still didn't fix the spelling of neutral ><

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

i'm a man and i came to this thread to find out if i am bad.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

NomChompsky posted:

:justpost:

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka

NomChompsky posted:

You are. And if you're white, well, you've got another thing coming pal

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

a double whammy! i'm EXTREMELY white.

Mr. 47
Jul 8, 2008

Well, I guess I'll just go fuck myself, then.

NomChompsky posted:

a double whammy! i'm EXTREMELY white.

Finally.

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

i'm a nice straight white guy though

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
edit: some things arent worth dying for

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
Playing video games online can be a pretty annoying experience. Video games should be a relaxing and enjoyable escape, but as soon as people know you are a girl you get:

1. Dudes griefing you about every mistake you make. Accusations of being a fake gamer girl as you concurrently play a video game.

2. Dudes telling you about the mechanics of a game you've been playing for years and have already demonstrated in that current game that you know how to do what they are telling you.

3. Dudes talking about sandwiches (this trite poo poo STILL happens) or other extremely hip 80s era sexist jokes. They use gendered insults.

4. Nice Guy tells other dudes to shut up, geeeeeeeze and then follows you around the rest of the time, making sure he is paired off with you to do activities if the game calls for it.

5. Nice Guys who say the sexist jokes Ironically to demonstrate that they "get it" and aren't the sort of person who would actually believe that. (great for you, but please just stop)

6. Dudes are actually cool and don't treat you any differently because they are as focused as you are on game objectives and not just trying to find an empty inbox to cram their dick pics into. These are the people you friend for later.

7. Dude wants to date you simply because you are a video game lover and of his preferred gender. No other personality traits are required. This is the most pathetic. When you politely tell them to go gently caress themselves they get VERY mad and soon after your chat window is filled with "BITCH" and "oval office".

After a while you learn though. Maybe you choose a gender neutral username. Or maybe you just avoid all voice chat unless with friends. Either way, it's going to get out that you have a vagina and there are a lot of video game boyz who have opinions about that and missy, you're gonna hear them.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

I completely sympathize with your position and I bet it's all kinds of annoying to be condescended to by people who aren't even as good at said game as you are. It's only become clear to me in the last few years just how creepy dudes can be (like, I've been creeped on at gay/straight bars and stuff, but never e-stalked). And seeing what girl friends have to put up with is a mix of pathetic and despicable. That said, you should probably get used to insensitive, dumb and just plain rude jokes because you sure as hell can't stop them.

And yes, always turn off voice chat with anyone you don't know irl. Voice chat is just how people with low wpm say stupid poo poo faster.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

phasmid posted:

I completely sympathize with your position and I bet it's all kinds of annoying to be condescended to by people who aren't even as good at said game as you are. It's only become clear to me in the last few years just how creepy dudes can be (like, I've been creeped on at gay/straight bars and stuff, but never e-stalked). And seeing what girl friends have to put up with is a mix of pathetic and despicable. That said, you should probably get used to insensitive, dumb and just plain rude jokes because you sure as hell can't stop them.

And yes, always turn off voice chat with anyone you don't know irl. Voice chat is just how people with low wpm say stupid poo poo faster.

I honestly think less of anyone who can't type at better than 30 wpm. I can maintain 50+ wpm with zero errors, faster if I allow the occasional typo. :smug:

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

phasmid posted:

Oh bud, believe me, I've gotten used to the onslaught as much as one can. I play many different video games and have kept my gender to myself in so many that I know that no matter what people will say rude things, but do you see how this thread is about sharing experiences of nice guys?

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I honestly think less of anyone who can't type at better than 30 wpm. I can maintain 50+ wpm with zero errors, faster if I allow the occasional typo. :smug:
I can do spelling, but caps and punctuation trip me up like a bible villain in a chariot race.

Pot Of Shoe posted:

Oh bud, believe me, I've gotten used to the onslaught as much as one can. I play many different video games and have kept my gender to myself in so many that I know that no matter what people will say rude things, but do you see how this thread is about sharing experiences of nice guys?
I would share, but I haven't met many and for the sake of their date-to-gently caress ratio they prefer to remain anonymous.

phasmid fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Aug 30, 2016

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

phasmid posted:

I can do spelling, but caps and punctuation trip me up like a bible villain in a chariot race.

I even text with proper spelling and grammar, barring those occasions when autocorrect seems to have been drinking especially hard that day.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I even text with proper spelling and grammar, barring those occasions when autocorrect seems to have been drinking especially hard that day.
You leave autocorrect on? Oh ho, now my paltry 46wpm doesn't seem so bad...

vvv Cmon dude. I made the primate case pages ago. vvv

phasmid fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Aug 30, 2016

Salty Josh
Jul 13, 2016

Sometimes there's so much beauty in the world, I feel like I can't take it, and my heart is just going to cave in.
Nap Ghost
Lets face it, men are pretty much apes still knuckling around. Sometimes you land a silver back who is an alpha at everything he does. This silver back may be a genuine good hearted gorilla or a huge pieces of poo poo.

Then you have the other gorillas who follow the silver back in the hopes that he may falter for a second and you can finally fight him, beat the gently caress outta him and take his stuff.

Then there are the "other" gorillas who were born socially inept, primitively speaking, and who are also physically incapable of protecting themselves let alone the group -- these are the gorillas that will never sire offspring. The saddest thing is that their legacy dies with them. Sure, they may have other redeeming qualities. Some of them make tools, others forage, some even exhibit human tendencies in building a shelter to live in but the reality is, no one wants to procreate with them.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
I thought it was pretty funny when some chick talking on the mic in CS GO chewed out some nerdy sounding guy that was being a spaz.

Salty Josh
Jul 13, 2016

Sometimes there's so much beauty in the world, I feel like I can't take it, and my heart is just going to cave in.
Nap Ghost

Wicker Man posted:

I thought it was pretty funny when some chick talking on the mic in CS GO chewed out some nerdy sounding guy that was being a spaz.

Some chick huh? And some nerd being a spaz....

Acting out to catch her attention is probably the worst thing he could do. Second worst thing is white knighting. If I had a nerdy rear end voice and poor social skills I would just stay quiet. Oh wait...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Salty Josh posted:

Lets face it, men are pretty much apes still knuckling around. Sometimes you land a silver back who is an alpha at everything he does. This silver back may be a genuine good hearted gorilla or a huge pieces of poo poo.

Then you have the other gorillas who follow the silver back in the hopes that he may falter for a second and you can finally fight him, beat the gently caress outta him and take his stuff.

Then there are the "other" gorillas who were born socially inept, primitively speaking, and who are also physically incapable of protecting themselves let alone the group -- these are the gorillas that will never sire offspring. The saddest thing is that their legacy dies with them. Sure, they may have other redeeming qualities. Some of them make tools, others forage, some even exhibit human tendencies in building a shelter to live in but the reality is, no one wants to procreate with them.

Gorillas are not even close to a human societal structure, though. They also have tiny penises. Now that I think of it, maybe there is some kind of analogy there for nice guys.

• Locked thread